Jail for woman who stabbed rapist in heart

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Jail for woman who stabbed rapist in heart

Postby mothra » 30 Oct 2018, 14:34

Jail for woman who stabbed rapist in heart, dragged his body from car

A Brisbane woman has been jailed for killing her rapist after he threatened to harm her daughter unless she submitted to more sex, but will be eligible for parole in less than two years.

Roxanne Eka Peters, 35, fatally stabbed Grant Jason Cassar, 51, with a blow to his heart using a kitchen knife at her home in Capalaba in December 2015.

Then she tied a rope around his body, including his neck, and dragged it behind her car for about a kilometre to a ditch where she hid it.

In the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday, Peters was sentenced to nine years in jail for manslaughter and a further 18 months after she pleaded guilty to interfering with a corpse.

With time served she will be eligible for parole in June 2020.

Justice David Boddice told the court Mr Cassar's rape and humiliation of Peters, followed by the threats to harm her child, had been a "significant provocation".

"I accept the stabbing occurred in circumstances when you were enraged by what the deceased had done to you and was threatening to do to you again," he said.

It was, however, to Peters' detriment that she didn't immediately seek help after the stabbing, he said.

"Instead you set about the process of callously disposing of the deceased body," he said.

He said Peters had shown no respect for Mr Cassar's human dignity.

"No doubt your rage continued to affect your attitude to him," Justice Boddice said.

Justice Boddice said Peters' upbringing around drug users, where she was subjected to sexual abuse, had acerbated the rage she felt when Mr Cassar came to her home on the day he died.

However, Mr Cassar's killing had been devastating for his family.

"They will never recover from his death," he said.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/queensland/jail-for-woman-who-stabbed-rapist-in-heart-dragged-his-body-from-car-20181030-p50cuj.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1y0ZL0IkurjOLe5V6fT0pN4aLsEqpdmXSkwZ0RqAa_x1pbJcLecHfqzRo#Echobox=1540865828
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Jail for woman who stabbed rapist in heart

Postby mothra » 30 Oct 2018, 14:35

This bit got me:

"He said Peters had shown no respect for Mr Cassar's human dignity."

He had dignity?
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 14:41

Right!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 30 Oct 2018, 14:48

she would have been fine had she simply stabbed the arsehole dead and then called the cops

dragging his corpse 1km tied to the back of the car was over reach, even if she did find it satisfying
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 30 Oct 2018, 14:49

johnsmith wrote:she would have been fine had she simply stabbed the arsehole dead and then called the cops

dragging his corpse 1km tied to the back of the car was over reach, even if she did find it satisfying

I imagine she was in significant shock and thought little past making him go as far away as possible.

Probably also didn't want her child/ren to see him.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 30 Oct 2018, 14:52

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:she would have been fine had she simply stabbed the arsehole dead and then called the cops

I imagine she was in significant shock and thought little past making him go as far away as possible.

More than likely.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 15:03

Why did she dispose of the body? Wouldn’t she have been alright legally? She would be celebrated in Texas.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2018, 15:08

I am quite surprised there was no defence attempted using 'self-defence,' but I am in no position to double guess her Lawyers. There is no defence to that 'interfering with a corpse' charge. That went way too far.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2018, 15:11

Texan wrote:Why did she dispose of the body? Wouldn’t she have been alright legally? She would be celebrated in Texas.

She was sentenced for unlawfully killing him.....ie manslaughter.....and on the charge of interfering with a corpse.

Not enough facts known.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby pinkeye » 31 Oct 2018, 00:45

mothra wrote:

Probably also didn't want her child/ren to see him.

:thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 31 Oct 2018, 00:50

Texan wrote:Why did she dispose of the body? Wouldn’t she have been alright legally? She would be celebrated in Texas.

Umm it isn't a common experience, and what? she should know the Law applicable..? Get off it.

Aussie wrote:I am quite surprised there was no defence attempted using 'self-defence,' but I am in no position to double guess her Lawyers. ……...

No but it seems they could have done better for her. All males were they.?
HEY don't get me wrong... my heroes, my heroes in real life are/were a male solicitor and a male QC.

But they were committed to equal justice...
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 31 Oct 2018, 08:00

My wife read me another account of the story. It seems she stabbed him 52 times before dragging him off with a car. Something of this story wreaks of insanity. Does being insane provide any defense in Australia? I'm assuming Australia recognizes the concept of innocence until proven guilty. I'm not talking down on Australia. I just don't know your law and I'm curious.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 31 Oct 2018, 10:03

Texan wrote:My wife read me another account of the story. It seems she stabbed him 52 times before dragging him off with a car. Something of this story wreaks of insanity. Does being insane provide any defense in Australia? I'm assuming Australia recognizes the concept of innocence until proven guilty. I'm not talking down on Australia. I just don't know your law and I'm curious.

yes we allow self defense, and yes they are innocent until proven guilty. She's been found guilty

Self defense doesn't work because he would have ceased being a threat long before the 52nd stab, Unless she was stabbing him on his toes. If she's stabbed him once or twice, she would have got away with self defense. As soon as they cease being a threat you are supposed to cease your attack. The dragging and hiding the body didn't help. The number of stab wounds and the events after make it look more like a revenge killing than self defense.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Texan » 31 Oct 2018, 10:30

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:My wife read me another account of the story. It seems she stabbed him 52 times before dragging him off with a car. Something of this story wreaks of insanity. Does being insane provide any defense in Australia? I'm assuming Australia recognizes the concept of innocence until proven guilty. I'm not talking down on Australia. I just don't know your law and I'm curious.

yes we allow self defense, and yes they are innocent until proven guilty. She's been found guilty

Self defense doesn't work because he would have ceased being a threat long before the 52nd stab, Unless she was stabbing him on his toes. If she's stabbed him once or twice, she would have got away with self defense. As soon as they cease being a threat you are supposed to cease your attack. The dragging and hiding the body didn't help. The number of stab wounds and the events after make it look more like a revenge killing than self defense.

From the story in the OP, it looked like she simply panicked after defending herself. She stabbed the guy in the heart and panicked. After hearing the other account and hearing of the 52 stab wounds, she was either crazy or did it out of malice. It changes everything. I hope that the guy deserved killing, because I hate to see innocent people harmed, but I guess we'll never know for sure.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 31 Oct 2018, 10:40

Texan wrote:From the story in the OP, it looked like she simply panicked after defending herself. She stabbed the guy in the heart and panicked. After hearing the other account and hearing of the 52 stab wounds, she was either crazy or did it out of malice. It changes everything. I hope that the guy deserved killing, because I hate to see innocent people harmed, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

I agree, we don't have the full facts. I also agree that If the guy really threatened to harm her kids, then he deserved everything he got. There is nothing more vicious than a mother defending her kids, and rightfully so..
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 31 Oct 2018, 14:06

mothra wrote:Jail for woman who stabbed rapist in heart, dragged his body from car

A Brisbane woman has been jailed for killing her rapist after he threatened to harm her daughter unless she submitted to more sex, but will be eligible for parole in less than two years.

Roxanne Eka Peters, 35, fatally stabbed Grant Jason Cassar, 51, with a blow to his heart using a kitchen knife at her home in Capalaba in December 2015.

Then she tied a rope around his body, including his neck, and dragged it behind her car for about a kilometre to a ditch where she hid it.

In the Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday, Peters was sentenced to nine years in jail for manslaughter and a further 18 months after she pleaded guilty to interfering with a corpse.

With time served she will be eligible for parole in June 2020.

Justice David Boddice told the court Mr Cassar's rape and humiliation of Peters, followed by the threats to harm her child, had been a "significant provocation".

No shit, Sherlock ...

mothra wrote:"I accept the stabbing occurred in circumstances when you were enraged by what the deceased had done to you and was threatening to do to you again," he said.

It was, however, to Peters' detriment that she didn't immediately seek help after the stabbing, he said.

"Instead you set about the process of callously disposing of the deceased body," he said.

He said Peters had shown no respect for Mr Cassar's human dignity.

A rape victim, who's attacker threatens her children, is supposed to worry about the attacker's "human dignity"?

mothra wrote:"No doubt your rage continued to affect your attitude to him," Justice Boddice said.

Ya think?

mothra wrote:Justice Boddice said Peters' upbringing around drug users, where she was subjected to sexual abuse, had acerbated the rage she felt when Mr Cassar came to her home on the day he died.

Perhaps Mr Cassar should have thought of that before he raped a woman and threatened her children.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 31 Oct 2018, 16:29

In normal circumstances, I would trust that her story was true and that the guy was a rapist who got what he deserved. But since she mutilated the body so badly and dragged it off for disposal, I think she is a nutcase. I hope the guy deserved what he got, but I don’t know that I trust her story. I can’t disprove her story, but she went nuts and tried to hide it. I’m glad I’m not on that jury.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 04:15

mothra wrote:This bit got me:
"He said Peters had shown no respect for Mr Cassar's human dignity."
He had dignity?

The bit that gets me is the fact that he ceased being a "human" once he had taken his last breath so I cannot see that "dignity" has anything to do with it.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Cracky » 06 Nov 2018, 04:22

Texan wrote:In normal circumstances, I would trust that her story was true and that the guy was a rapist who got what he deserved. But since she mutilated the body so badly and dragged it off for disposal, I think she is a nutcase. I hope the guy deserved what he got, but I don’t know that I trust her story. I can’t disprove her story, but she went nuts and tried to hide it. I’m glad I’m not on that jury.

Perhaps we ought to give some thought at what point "she went nuts"? It must have happened sometime before she laid eyes on him to the moment she cut his body lose from her car.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." Bruce Lee
Cracky
Jack Russell

Postby Sprintcyclist » 06 Nov 2018, 08:20

Hang about, was he an alleged rapist or a convicted rapist?
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 06 Nov 2018, 12:28

Sprintcyclist wrote:Hang about, was he an alleged rapist or a convicted rapist?

All I read about was her claim. Dead people can't defend themselves. Hopefully, she was able to provide some damning physical evidence to support her rape allegation. That would help her greatly if I were on the jury. I might then excuse her "going nuts".
Texan
Feral cat

Return to Politics