The Alt-Right is Killing People

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: The Alt-Right is Killing People

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 10:36

HBS Guy wrote:Time for cooler heads at the helm of the USA! Time for some LEADERSHIP there, not just pandering to the base.

A base Trump has loaded higher costs onto with his tariff hikes.

Trump is pushing for 0 tariffs. It's just that equaling tariffs on US goods is the only way to get them to lower theirs. Why should we pay 25% tariffs to send goods to China and not collect tariffs on their goods?

Trump is no worse than the last president.

Texan
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2018, 10:39

Obama's rhetoric is out of order, and so is Trump's.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 10:49

Aussie wrote:Obama's rhetoric is out of order, and so is Trump's.

OK.

Where was the media going after 0bama for his rhetoric and calling for impeachment?
Texan
Feral cat

Postby mothra » 30 Oct 2018, 10:50

All i see is a convenient lack of context.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 30 Oct 2018, 10:58

Texan wrote:

OK.

Where was the media going after 0bama for his rhetoric and calling for impeachment?

Just with the first one, according to 'Snopes fact check', it was reported in the NY Times, Reuters and the Wall Street Journal .

I'm not going to check all the others.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2018, 10:59

Texan wrote:

OK.

I am sure the GOP machine was onto it. Trump will not be impeached for his rhetoric.
Aussie

Postby SethBullock » 30 Oct 2018, 15:34

Hello, Mothra

Some feedback for you.

Your link cites 13 cases since 2014. The source is the Southern Poverty Law Center, which is not an objective source. Nevertheless ...

I took the time to check out the first subject in the list, Eliot Rodger, a young man of mixed race. I learned that his rampage had nothing to do with alt-right politics.

"Well, this is my last video, it all has to come to this. Tomorrow is the day of retribution, the day in which I will have my revenge against humanity, against all of you. For the last eight years of my life, ever since I hit puberty, I've been forced to endure an existence of loneliness, rejection and unfulfilled desires all because girls have never been attracted to me. Girls gave their affection, and sex and love to other men but never to me."

"I'm 22 years old and I'm still a virgin. I've never even kissed a girl. I've been through college for two and a half years, more than that actually, and I'm still a virgin. It has been very torturous. College is the time when everyone experiences those things such as sex and fun and pleasure. Within those years, I've had to rot in loneliness. It's not fair. You girls have never been attracted to me. I don't know why you girls aren't attracted to me, but I will punish you all for it. It's an injustice, a crime, because ... I don't know what you don't see in me. I'm the perfect guy and yet you throw yourselves at these obnoxious men instead of me, the supreme gentleman."

"Full Asian men are disgustingly ugly and white girls would never go for you. You're just butthurt that you were born as an Asian piece of shit, so you lash out by linking these fake pictures. You even admit that you wish you were half white. You'll never be half-white and you'll never fulfill your dream of marrying a white woman. I suggest you jump off a bridge."

"How could an inferior, ugly black boy be able to get a white girl and not me? I am beautiful, and I am half white myself. I am descended from British aristocracy. He is descended from slaves. On the day before the Day of Retribution, I will start the First Phase of my vengeance: Silently killing as many people as I can around Isla Vista by luring them into my apartment through some form of trickery."

The manifesto specifically mentions a "War on Women", as the second phase of his plan, for "starving him of sex", in which he states:

"The Second Phase will take place on the Day of Retribution itself, just before the climactic massacre. ... My War on Women. ... I will attack the very girls who represent everything I hate in the female gender: The hottest sorority of UCSB."

There is much more about his history in the Wiki link. He had been seeing therapists and receiving psychiatric treatment since he was 8 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings

All of that to say that I'm a little skeptical of drawing conclusions from statistics and charts provided from that particular source. Granted, I did not take the time to look into all of those incidents cited. I know Dylan Roof was filled with racist hatred.

Next point ....

The vast majority of conservatives in this country hold no racist beliefs. They feel no kinship whatsoever with the ideology that white racist groups espouse. "Alt-right" was a term first coined by an avowed racist. The term is nothing but an embarrassment to conservatives who are on the right of the political spectrum. The mainstream "right" has nothing to do with the racism of the "alt-right". The "alt-right" really doesn't believe in our Constitution, nor does it believe in the principles of freedom we believe in. I've encountered these people in the past, and, excuse my language, but they're .... eh ... complete ... eh ... degenerates (kept it clean).

I regard these degenerates as a tiny fringe. For perspective ...

Your source cites 13 incidents from 2014 to the present which took the lives of a little over 100 people. But for perspective, it's worthwhile to remember that between 2014 and 2017 there were 64,744 homicides in America.

Since 2001, 5,684 U.S. soldiers have been killed in action in Iraq and Afghanistan. But in the same period of time, 9,384 people, overwhelmingly black people, have been murdered in Chicago alone.

I find it disturbing that there are no national headlines, no outrage, no calls for intervention, not even any finger-pointing, no speeches by politicians, no pundits on TV - nothing - with regard to this carnage. There is utter silence on this issue from the political left because, in every city where this carnage goes on unabated, the political left is in charge of those cities and have been for a long, long time. Can you imagine? What if, in Chicago, some 9000 black people had been murdered by whites since 2001. Imagine the outcry. But, that's not the case, is it? They were murdered overwhelmingly by other black people. And so, our liberals - those who preside over Chicago and similar cities - don't talk about it. Neither does our liberal press. I sincerely believe they don't care enough to talk about it ... to raise an outcry. Would these politicians and media moguls be raising hell if this was happening in their neighborhoods? But the truth is, these liberal major media types, these liberal politicians who rule these cities - they aren't poor, and they don't live in poor, predominantly black neighborhoods. Judging by their reaction, are they not showing their own racism? And what about the political right? Why isn't the right talking about it? Answer: They aren't allowed to talk about it, Mothra. They will be called racists for talking about the wholesale slaughter of black people, even if they're trying to draw attention to it in the hopes of doing something about it. Not allowed.

But if some deranged white (or half-white) individual snaps and goes totally psychotic and kills a large number of people - be they black or Jewish or whatever, the political left instantly points an accusatory finger, associating all conservatives with the killer, gleefully parroting the "alt-right" term because it has the word "right" in it, with the willing assistance from the liberal media, hoping to score political points. The truth is, these killers are severely maladjusted sociopaths, often severely paranoid and delusional, and their perverse politics have nothing to do with the mainstream "right". By the same token,the Democrat who attacked the Republican members of Congress at a softball practice is not representative of Democrats. But both have the same sickness.

Sadly, the quest for political advantage lends itself to dishonesty - sometimes subtle, using half-truths, often times telling only half of a story.

Are there fringe groups, yes? Can they be dangerous? Yes. But my country is not succumbing to the scummy beliefs of the neo-nazis or KKK.

That's a bunch of baloney. No chance. Don't believe it.

Seth
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Aussie » 30 Oct 2018, 15:53

Nice piece. However, it does not address the basic issue.......nutters or not........white, black or brindle, these massacres occur because of easy access to very shitty weapons. Can't be denied.

And there always seems to be some 'political' or 'secular' motive...other than pubescent kids (who have guns) getting pissed off with the World and their peers.

Where will it be next week, Seth. You know it will happen.

Not nice to contemplate, but it is gonna happen.

:sad
Aussie

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 15:56

I really hope you are right, Seth!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 15:58

Incels do form part of the alt-right.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 23:46

Texan
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 31 Oct 2018, 00:39

Texan wrote:…..

The far left is killing people also. Just because the media or your source chooses not to dwell on it doesn't make it any less prevalent. They are careful not to call it violence, but you not what happens when a bunch of hotheads are given a little motivation.

Umm really..? I do not believe you at all Texan. YOU are just saying what you have been GROOMED to say.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby fisherman » 31 Oct 2018, 10:50

HBS Guy wrote:
fisherman wrote:Slovakia has a leading Far-Right party. And Slovakia is refugee-free. Slovakia is a proud country, a country with a common sense. Good.

Its economy is not doing well. Maybe refugees are not the problem?

It's funny you should say that.
https://tradingeconomics.com/slovakia/gdp-per-capita

And Poland is even better.

fisherman

Postby Texan » 31 Oct 2018, 10:54

pinkeye wrote:
Texan wrote:…..

The far left is killing people also. Just because the media or your source chooses not to dwell on it doesn't make it any less prevalent. They are careful not to call it violence, but you not what happens when a bunch of hotheads are given a little motivation.

Umm really..? I do not believe you at all Texan. YOU are just saying what you have been GROOMED to say.

You are welcome to your own beliefs as well.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby SethBullock » 31 Oct 2018, 12:24

HBS Guy wrote:Incels do form part of the alt-right.

Along with the Antifa men, who are also utterly noxious. Even Antifa women won't hook up with them. When the Antifa and the neo-nazis fight each other, it's Incels vs Incels.

No wonder they're so pissed off.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 31 Oct 2018, 12:28

:c
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 31 Oct 2018, 12:35

HBS Guy wrote:I really hope you are right, Seth!

I am. Good people - millions and millions of them - don't make interesting news.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 31 Oct 2018, 12:44

SethBullock wrote:

I am. Good people - millions and millions of them - don't make interesting news.

good people, millions of them, often aren't motivated enough to turn up to vote either. It's the extremes who want to 'change' everything. It's an inherent problem of the US system of voting.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 31 Oct 2018, 13:02

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:

good people, millions of them, often aren't motivated enough to turn up to vote either. It's the extremes who want to 'change' everything. It's an inherent problem of the US system of voting.

Yeah, but we're having our midterm voting going on now. Election Day is Nov 6th, but my wife and I have already voted by mail.

The country is going to elect some progressive liberals, some mainstream Democrats, some mainstream Republicans, and some conservative Republicans.

No one from the neo-nazis is going to get elected, and none of those needledick Antifas either.

Both are great for grabbing attention.

But they are fringe groups, and that's the way they'll stay.

Seth
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2018, 13:36

We thought Pauline Hanson was just going to keep on standing for election to the Senate, spend little to no money, help the MSM publicise her campaign and reap the $2/vote after the election.

She was elected at the last election and a couple other One Nation Senator (fruit loops all! :OMG ) and is a pest now.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 31 Oct 2018, 14:23

HBS Guy wrote:We thought Pauline Hanson was just going to keep on standing for election to the Senate, spend little to no money, help the MSM publicise her campaign and reap the $2/vote after the election.

She was elected at the last election and a couple other One Nation Senator (fruit loops all! :OMG ) and is a pest now.

:huh More info please.

Remember, as I said on the "Good Night or Good Morning" thread, America is the center of the universe, and consequently, being an American in the center of the universe, I know little about Australian politics. Please explain a little more. "One Nation"?
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby greggerypeccary » 31 Oct 2018, 14:38

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:We thought Pauline Hanson was just going to keep on standing for election to the Senate, spend little to no money, help the MSM publicise her campaign and reap the $2/vote after the election.

:huh More info please.

Remember, as I said on the "Good Night or Good Morning" thread, America is the center of the universe, and consequently, being an American in the center of the universe, I know little about Australian politics. Please explain a little more. "One Nation"?

One Nation is an incredibly racist political party, run by an incredibly racist & stupid woman who once worked in a fish and chip shop.

Oh yeah, she did time in prison for electoral fraud too.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2018, 14:49

One Nation would be more of a threat if its Leader, Sen. Pauline Hanson, was not totally stupid as well as vile. It is a far right Party wanting all Muslims in Australia to be deported and no more let in. Doesn’t sit well with the 300m Muslims to our north in Indonesia.

When the Leader of the Liberal Party (conservatives) announced the brainfart of moving our Israel embassy to Jerusalem we had to spend some time soothing Indonesia.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 31 Oct 2018, 15:04

SethBullock wrote:
:huh More info please

under our system, anyone running for parliament who receives a certain number of votes (not sure off hand what the cut off is) is entitled to $2 per vote from govt. coffers. Pauline Hanson is a racist cow who usually attracts enough votes from the extreme right to receive that $2 but not enough to win a seat in the Senate. Up until the last election she had run in almost every Senate election for the last 20 odd yrs, even though she never won. She would run just to make the cash and grab some headlines.

The last election was a little bit unusual as it was what we call a double dissolution (DD) election. First a bit of background. Normally our senators serve a term of 6 yrs, whilst our house of representatives serves 3 years. At every 3 yr election half of the senate stands for election, the other half stands the next go around. Now because of the DD election ALL the senators ran at our last federal election, which opened up more vacancies and gave One nation their way in.
She is now a senator in parliament and still a racist cow.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby SethBullock » 31 Oct 2018, 15:17

Interesting. Thanks.
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Politics