The Alt-Right is Killing People

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Postby mothra » 29 Oct 2018, 08:59

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) counted over 100 people killed or injured by alleged perpetrators influenced by the so-called "alt-right" — a movement that continues to access the mainstream and reach young recruits.

On December 7, 2017, a 21-year-old white male posing as a student entered Aztec High School in rural New Mexico and began firing a handgun, killing two students before taking his own life.

At the time, the news of the shooting went largely ignored, but the online activity of the alleged killer, William Edward Atchison, bore all the hallmarks of the “alt-right”—the now infamous subculture and political movement consisting of vicious trolls, racist activists, and bitter misogynists.

But Atchison wasn’t the first to fit the profile of alt-right killer—that morbid milestone belongs to Elliot Rodger, the 22-year-old who in 2014 killed seven in Isla Vista, California, after uploading a sprawling manifesto filled with hatred of young women and interracial couples (Atchison went by “Elliot Rodger” in one of his many online personas and lauded the “supreme gentleman,” a title Rodger gave himself and has since become a meme on the alt-right).

Including Rodger’s murderous rampage there have been at least 13 alt-right related fatal episodes, leaving 43 dead and more than 60 injured (see list). Nine of the 12 incidents counted here occurred in 2017 alone, making last year the most violent year for the movement.

Like Atchison and Rodger, these perpetrators were all male and, with the exception of three men, all under the age of 30 at the time they are alleged to have killed. The average age of the alt-right killers is 26. The youngest was 17. One, Alexandre Bissonnette, is Canadian, but the rest are American. While some certainly displayed signs of mental illness, all share a history of consuming and/or participating in the type of far-right ecosystem that defines the alt-right.

The “alternative right” was coined in part by white nationalist leader Richard Bertrand Spencer in 2008, but the movement as it’s known today can largely be traced back to 2012 and 2013 when two major events occurred: the killing of the black teenager Trayvon Martin and the so-called Gamergate controversy where female game developers and journalists were systematically threatened with rape and death. Both were formative moments for a young generation of far-right activists raised on the internet and who found community on chaotic forums like 4chan and Reddit where the classic tenets of white nationalism — most notably the belief that white identity is under attack by multiculturalism and political correctness — flourish under dizzying layers of toxic irony.

Significantly, Gamergate also launched the career of Milo Yiannopolous who later used his perch at Breitbart News to whitewash the movement and push it further into the mainstream (former senior adviser to President Donald Trump and Breitbart executive editor Stephen Bannon infamously called the site “the platform for the alt-right.”).

Today, the audience available to alt-right propaganda remains “phenomenally larger” than that available to ISIS-type recruiters, according to MoonshotCVE, a London-based group that counters online radicalization. This accessibility makes it easy for gradual indoctrination, particularly on social media platforms where tech companies long ignored the warning signs that their platforms were contributing to the radicalization of far-right extremists. That so much violence has taken on the shades of a specific subculture like the alt-right quickly shows just how critical these wide-open platforms have been to the growth of the movement.

But the dark engine of the movement is reactionary white male resentment. Alt-right propaganda is designed to nourish the precise grievances recited by the disillusioned and indignant young men that dominate its ranks. It provides a coherent—but malicious—worldview. For a recruit, the alt-right helps explain why they don’t have the jobs or the sexual partners or the overall societal and cultural respect that they believe (and are told) to be rightfully theirs. This appeal is resonating at a moment in the United States when economic inequality is worsening and a majority-minority United States is forecasted for 2044—developments exploited by racist propagandists. As a writer on Spencer’s AltRight.com wrote this past December:

And all of modern society seems to offer literally nothing to young White men. It’s as if society doesn’t want them to tune in, show up and have a stake in the future of that institution.

As a result, new institutions step up to pick up the slack.

PUA [Pick Up Artists] meet-ups help them learn the skills to get girls. In the place of a gentleman’s club, or underground boxing ring, or boy scouts-type activity, the Alt-Right has stepped up to give camaraderie and a sense of purpose. The internet gives them their entertainment and a place to intellectually grow.

As all the old institutions die, new ones rise to meet the demand and fill the vacuum. Till the perks come back, young White men are going to keep tuning out of society, cast adrift by previous generations that just don’t give a damn.

The lucky ones will wash up on our shores. The unlucky ones…well.

The violence that left one dead at the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last summer should not be understood as the high-water mark for the movement as some analysts have argued. The alt-right worldview, this rebranding of old hatreds, will remain compelling to disaffected white males and those who claim to speak for them for the foreseeable future. Worse, as this study suggests, punctuated violence will continue. For the same vision of society that the alt-right promulgates—its externalization of blame that lands on a host of enemies seen to be in the ascendancy—also aligns with the indicators of mass violence.

Meanwhile, the alt-right is redoubling its efforts at youth recruitment, intensifying its rhetoric and calling for radical, individual action.

Rest of the extensive article here:

https://www.splcenter.org/20180205/alt-right-killing-people?fbclid=IwAR2uvg2mYz0m4EVoqns8i0cbFXmmvSAsWzRl5S8UOgPiJXef1htEp9XsGSM#.W9TJlgZ1ry1.facebook
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: The Alt-Right is Killing People

Postby Texan » 29 Oct 2018, 09:36

Excuse me. You dropped your tin foil hat as you skipped over all of the leftist violence.
If you excluded the leftist cities in America, the murder rate would be about the same as Australia.
Last edited by Texan on 29 Oct 2018, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 29 Oct 2018, 09:46

Texan wrote:Excuse me. You dropped your tin foil hat as you skipped over all of the leftist violence.

go ahead, show us how many were killed by leftist violence over the same period?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Texan » 29 Oct 2018, 09:58

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:Excuse me. You dropped your tin foil hat as you skipped over all of the leftist violence.

go ahead, show us how many were killed by leftist violence over the same period?

That’s an average month in Chicago.

Www.heyjackass.com
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 29 Oct 2018, 10:06

Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

http://Www.heyjackass.com

where is your evidence of political influence? You can't just pull out random stats and attribute them to the left because you want it so.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Texan » 29 Oct 2018, 10:31

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

where is your evidence of political influence? You can't just pull out random stats and attribute them to the left because you want it so.

Just because the shootings are not politically motivated doesn’t mean they aren’t done by liberals and Chicago is known for being a liberal city ran by nothing but liberals for decades.

Just look at:

Columbine
Colorado theater
VIrginia Tech
Connecticut
Fort Hood

All Democrats and/or muslims. We both can cherry pick examples and quote blogs all day.

You would be amazed at how nice and courteous people of all colors and political persuasions are at a gun show. Everybody gets along great and there is no crime and nobody dares to shoot up the place.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Oct 2018, 10:35

Texan wrote:You would be amazed at how nice and courteous people of all colors and political persuasions are at a gun show. Everybody gets along great and there is no crime and nobody dares to shoot up the place.

Krista Gearhart, 25, was shot at the Eagle Arms Gun Show at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds in central Pennsylvania.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Oct 2018, 10:37

greggerypeccary wrote:
Texan wrote:You would be amazed at how nice and courteous people of all colors and political persuasions are at a gun show. Everybody gets along great and there is no crime and nobody dares to shoot up the place.

Krista Gearhart, 25, was shot at the Eagle Arms Gun Show at the Bloomsburg Fairgrounds in central Pennsylvania.

At the Austin Premier Gun Show at the Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, Texas, John Warden, pastor of New Hope Baptist Church in Jarrell was shot and killed by his son-in-law.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Oct 2018, 10:46

greggerypeccary wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:

At the Austin Premier Gun Show at the Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, Texas, John Warden, pastor of New Hope Baptist Church in Jarrell was shot and killed by his son-in-law.

"100,000 bullets, five assault guns stolen from SC gun show"

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article216182445.html
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 29 Oct 2018, 11:05

Texan wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Killed by the left because of the colour of their skin, religion or sexual orientation were they? You know, like the alt-right is doing?

Seemingly without much protest from you. Certainly no condemnation from your POTUS.

Seriously,you post general statistics and think you're making a point?
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 29 Oct 2018, 11:07

Antisemitic incidents in US soar to highest level in two decades

Largest year-on-year increase since 1979 comes as Trump administration is accused of failing to condemn bigotry
mothra
Duck

Postby greggerypeccary » 29 Oct 2018, 11:11

I hope child welfare have stepped in to take a look at this poor kid's family life.

greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 29 Oct 2018, 11:31

Texan wrote:Just because the shootings are not politically motivated doesn’t mean they aren’t done by liberals and Chicago is known for being a liberal city ran by nothing but liberals for decades.

if they're not politically motivated they're not relevant to the topic.

like I said, wishful thinking doesn't cut it.

Texan wrote:We both can cherry pick examples and quote blogs all day.

except I haven't cherry picked anything. What part of the article in the OP is wrong since you seem to disagree with it?
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 29 Oct 2018, 13:08

mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 29 Oct 2018, 13:11

mothra
Duck

Postby fisherman » 30 Oct 2018, 02:31

Slovakia has a leading Far-Right party. And Slovakia is refugee-free. Slovakia is a proud country, a country with a common sense. Good.

fisherman

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 08:53

OK. I finally got to a computer to better read your article. I've been out of town helping my son move and I only had access to my phone. I could only skim at best over the weekend. So the point of the article is that there are some "alt right" organizations that promote racism and violence and have endorsed murder. OK. Racism is legal. What we need to do is come down hard on anybody who violates the rights of others or plots to do so. I don't care if they are aligned with the left or right. There are bad actors in any group of any political ideology. There are perverts and racists on both sides of the isle and I'm good with making their pathetic lives miserable when they are found. Whether it's the nut who lives in a van and mails poorly built "bombs", the guy who shoots up "white" or "black" churches, the guy who murders 5 white police officers in Dallas, or the guy who shoots up Republican softball practices because he is a Bernie Supporter, a lifetime in prison with hard labor or the death penalty are fine with me. I have no patience with them. Try them and fry them.

Trump has said some crass things. That's kind of his style, but you can't blame a shooting or bombing on him any more than you can blame 0bama for antifa violence or a church shooting. Let's not also forget that Hillary Clinton, Eric Holder, and Cory Booker are directly also promoting "uncivil" behavior.

The far left is killing people also. Just because the media or your source chooses not to dwell on it doesn't make it any less prevalent. They are careful not to call it violence, but you not what happens when a bunch of hotheads are given a little motivation.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 09:19

fisherman wrote:Slovakia has a leading Far-Right party. And Slovakia is refugee-free. Slovakia is a proud country, a country with a common sense. Good.

Its economy is not doing well. Maybe refugees are not the problem?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 09:21

Trump is inciting hate and contempt for the press. Naturally there is a chance that some disturbed individual takes it further. That is why leaders tend to be restrained, unlike the orange douchebag.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Texan » 30 Oct 2018, 09:47

HBS Guy wrote:Trump is inciting hate and contempt for the press. Naturally there is a chance that some disturbed individual takes it further. That is why leaders tend to be restrained, unlike the orange douchebag.

He is just pointing out the bias in the press that America already knows about. I don't care for his bluster and that's why I didn't vote for him in the primaries. Why do you think Hillary had a 92% chance of winning the 16 election on the day before the election according to the press? The press is obsessed about Russian collusion(since the day after the election), but don't seem to want to investigate how Russia managed to buy 20% of our uranium reserves while Hillary was Secretary of State and how much the Clinton Foundation received from Russian sources. Bills speeches aren't worth that much. There is an obvious bias that all of America knows about, even the leftists. They depend on it.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 30 Oct 2018, 10:18

Texan wrote:. There are bad actors in any group of any political ideology. There are perverts and racists on both sides of the isle and I'm good with making their pathetic lives miserable when they are found. Whether it's the nut who lives in a van and mails poorly built "bombs", the guy who shoots up "white" or "black" churches, the guy who murders 5 white police officers in Dallas, or the guy who shoots up Republican softball practices because he is a Bernie Supporter, a lifetime in prison with hard labor or the death penalty are fine with me. I have no patience with them. Try them and fry them.

Of course there are bad people on both sides. No one is denying that. Thats why it's even more important to hold politicians to account when they encourage this sort of behavior. I realise that 99% of people will never act on what he says, but it's the other 1% that we need to worry about.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 30 Oct 2018, 10:23

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:. There are bad actors in any group of any political ideology. There are perverts and racists on both sides of the isle and I'm good with making their pathetic lives miserable when they are found. Whether it's the nut who lives in a van and mails poorly built "bombs", the guy who shoots up "white" or "black" churches, the guy who murders 5 white police officers in Dallas, or the guy who shoots up Republican softball practices because he is a Bernie Supporter, a lifetime in prison with hard labor or the death penalty are fine with me. I have no patience with them. Try them and fry them.

Of course there are bad people on both sides. No one is denying that. Thats why it's even more important to hold politicians to account when they encourage this sort of behavior. I realise that 99% of people will never act on what he says, but it's the other 1% that we need to worry about.

Speaking of which:

Trump Fan Convicted In Anti-Muslim Terror Plot Asks Judge To Consider Trump's Rhetoric
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 30 Oct 2018, 10:26

Texan wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Trump is inciting hate and contempt for the press. Naturally there is a chance that some disturbed individual takes it further. That is why leaders tend to be restrained, unlike the orange douchebag.

He is just pointing out the bias in the press that America already knows about. .

No he's not "just" doing that at all. He's calling the media the "enemy of the people".

I don't know if you've pushed your MAGA cap back far enough to get a good view around you lately but some of these people are getting pretty worked up.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Oct 2018, 10:27

Time for cooler heads at the helm of the USA! Time for some LEADERSHIP there, not just pandering to the base.

A base Trump has loaded higher costs onto with his tariff hikes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics