'You know what I am? I'm a nationalist'

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

'You know what I am? I'm a nationalist'

Postby mothra » 23 Oct 2018, 21:07

Trump: 'You know what I am? I'm a nationalist'

President Trump on Monday declared himself a "nationalist" as he railed against Democrats and "globalists" who put the wellbeing of the world over the country.

At a raucous campaign rally in Houston, Trump warned supporters that Democrats will seek to restore influence to "corrupt, power-hungry globalists."

"You know what a globalist is? A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly, not caring about our country so much," Trump said. "And you know what, we can’t have that."

The crowd began booing as Trump moved on to his preferred descriptor.

"You know, they have a word. It sort of became old-fashioned. It’s called a nationalist," he continued. "And I say really, we’re not supposed to use that word. You know what I am? I am a nationalist. Use that word."

The crowd broke out into chants of "USA" in response.

"A globalist is a person who wants the globe to do well, frankly, not caring about our country so much. And you know what, we can't have that. ... You know what I am? I’m a nationalist. Use that word." - @realDonaldTrump in Texaspic.twitter.com/ynBMThhuvE

— Jason Howerton (@jason_howerton) October 23, 2018
Monday's rally marked a rare instance where Trump explicitly described himself as a "nationalist," a label that has drawn criticism and concern from some U.S. and foreign lawmakers.

Former Vice President Joe Biden has frequently alluded to the rise of "phony nationalism" in his many critiques of Trump since the president took office.

The late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) made similar remarks in a 2017 speech at the National Constitution Center, where he lamented that the U.S. was relinquishing its leadership role abroad in favor of "some half-baked, spurious nationalism."

The president has long-touted his desire to put "America first," railed against global alliances like NATO and the United Nations and recently threatened to cut aid to Central American countries that he lamented "did nothing for us."

Trump's rhetoric has led to anxiety among world leaders that the U.S. will recede from its role on the global stage.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/412649-trump-you-know-what-i-am-im-a-nationalist?fbclid=IwAR3yxnC7bpFzuOflixTlbVpoqFo_RhFWDoBQF1dL2PsC-6aPY3LAJN_0SZw
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: 'You know what I am? I'm a nationalist'

Postby dissilymordentroge » 23 Oct 2018, 21:42

mothra wrote:[b][size=150]
Trump's rhetoric has led to anxiety among world leaders that the U.S. will recede from its role on the global stage.

In some ways a bad thing in others very welcome. Whatever happens we’ve still got a raving, juvenile, lying, petulant lunatic paused with his finger over the red button and can only pray that military psychologists and others have secretly given him the wrong codes.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby Texan » 24 Oct 2018, 08:16

You can hurl petty insults from the other side of the Earth all you want, but he has done great for us and kept his campaign promises surprisingly well. His voters are being represented. I didn’t vote for him in the 2016 primaries, but I will in 2020. Trump realizes who he represents and does what he can to negotiate through a position of strength. Deal with it.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby Sprintcyclist » 24 Oct 2018, 09:34

Texan wrote:You can hurl petty insults from the other side of the Earth all you want, but he has done great for us and kept his campaign promises surprisingly well. His voters are being represented. I didn’t vote for him in the 2016 primaries, but I will in 2020. Trump realizes who he represents and does what he can to negotiate through a position of strength. Deal with it.

I love Trump.

We need him here.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 09:41

He is costing American workers heaps with his tariff increases. Now he is starting a new nuclear arms race.

Bloody idiot!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 24 Oct 2018, 10:04

Texan wrote:You can hurl petty insults from the other side of the Earth all you want, but he has done great for us and kept his campaign promises surprisingly well. His voters are being represented. I didn’t vote for him in the 2016 primaries, but I will in 2020. Trump realizes who he represents and does what he can to negotiate through a position of strength. Deal with it.

You have no problems with your POTUS declaring himself to be a Nationalist? Seriously?

I shouldn't be surprised. You're actually planning on voting for him despite everything aside from this.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 24 Oct 2018, 10:53

Texan wrote: and kept his campaign promises surprisingly well.

which ones?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Texan » 24 Oct 2018, 12:37

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote: and kept his campaign promises surprisingly well.

which ones?

I’m at work and don’t have time for a detailed response. He has worked against both parties to get a wall built and control illegal immigration. It’s not done, but he is obviously pushing for it. He also promised conservative Supreme Court justice picks. He has delivered in spades there. He promised jobs and an improved economy. That alone is worth voting for. His pompous mannerisms personal marital shortcomings are why I didn’t support him in the primaries, but he is getting results I like and I’m not alone.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby hatty » 24 Oct 2018, 12:48

America is literally a laughing stock on the world stage because of him...... deal with it.

no world leaders apart from Kim want a bar of him.

what a tragic fall from grace.
hatty
Feral cat

Postby SethBullock » 24 Oct 2018, 13:48

dissilymordentroge wrote:

In some ways a bad thing in others very welcome. Whatever happens we’ve still got a raving, juvenile, lying, petulant lunatic paused with his finger over the red button and can only pray that military psychologists and others have secretly given him the wrong codes.

Let's do a little accounting, shall we?

- Hillary Clinton, as a member of Congress, voted FOR the Authorization to Use Force against Iraq in 2003.
- As Secretary of State, she and Barack Obama presided over the destruction of all governance in Libya, the assassination of its leader, turning it into an Al Qaeda and ISIS training ground and safe haven. "We came, we saw, and he died. Hahahaha!" - Hillary Clinton
- She and Barack Obama armed and trained "good" rebels in Syria, stoking a civil war, leading to the rise of ISIS, first in Syria, which then swept into Iraq. ISIS had swept through almost all of western Iraq and were knocking on the door of Baghdad, at which point a new U.S. intervention in Iraq had to start to defeat them. The civil war in Syria that they fueled has cost the lives of about a million people.
- And candidate Hillary wanted to escalate our involvement in Syria, declaring no-fly zones putting the U.S. into direct conflict with Russia, and effectively turning our air power into the Syria Rebel Air Force.

On the other hand, Trump ...

- has not involved the U.S. in any new wars.
- has all but finished off ISIS in Iraq and Syria
- has expressed a desire to get our people out of Syria
- explicitly warned Kim Jong Un that he must stop threatening our country
- at great political risk, met with Kim, seeking the avoidance of war, seeking peace, and the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula

Comparing and contrasting Hillary and Trump, and having had a son in combat, I'll take Trump.

My opinion of Hillary was that she was dangerously reckless with the use of military force, based upon her record.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby Texan » 24 Oct 2018, 14:04

hatty wrote:

America is literally a laughing stock on the world stage because of him...... deal with it.

I didn’t make Trump president to be popular. That was 0bamas mission and you saw where that took us.
Texan
Feral cat

Postby SethBullock » 24 Oct 2018, 14:08

Would Australians want a leader that looked after the interests of Australia, or would you want a leader that looked after the interests of foreign countries at the expense of Australia?
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 15:01

We are all in the same boat, planet Earth.

Sure, a government is concerned first and foremost with its own country but has to consider interactions with other countries etc.

This is all reminding me of the years before the war when America went Isolationist—until Pearl Harbor.

China is moving to take over leadership where Trumpy is retreating from leadership.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby hatty » 24 Oct 2018, 15:04

SethBullock wrote:Would Australians want a leader that looked after the interests of Australia, or would you want a leader that looked after the interests of foreign countries at the expense of Australia?

that is a good question.

I wish for stability all across the world.

the whole world has a part to play in that.

Trump alienating himself, and by that i mean the US from the rest of the world, while snuggling up to dictators and picking fights with traditional allies (Canada) will not go anyway towards this.
hatty
Feral cat

Postby johnsmith » 24 Oct 2018, 15:08

Texan wrote:He has worked against both parties to get a wall built and control illegal immigration. It’s not done, but he is obviously pushing for it.

Lets forget for the moment that you conveniently left out the part where he promised Mexico would pay for he wall and move onto the actual wall.
so he hasn't built a wall, nor has he secured funding for it..... he can push all he likes when he knows he won't have to deliver. It's a bit like the Greens party here, promising fairy dust and pixies for all, and always pushing for it, because they know they will never win government and will never have to deliver

Texan wrote:He also promised conservative Supreme Court justice picks. He has delivered in spades there

I'll give you that one

Texan wrote:He promised jobs and an improved economy. That alone is worth voting for.

But he has done nothing to deliver them. The benefits the USA is now experiencing are the longer term effects of Obama's policies.

so after more than a year, you have only one promise kept.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 24 Oct 2018, 15:09

SethBullock wrote:Would Australians want a leader that looked after the interests of Australia, or would you want a leader that looked after the interests of foreign countries at the expense of Australia?

I want a leader that can both look after Australia's interests without making enemies of our neighbours..
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 24 Oct 2018, 15:59

Now we have two Trump supporting Americans in this thread, maybe one of them will answer my question?

Seems to be a toughy.

How do you feel about Trump identifying as a nationalist?
mothra
Duck

Postby Texan » 24 Oct 2018, 16:08

mothra wrote:Now we have two Trump supporting Americans in this thread, maybe one of them will answer my question?

Seems to be a toughy.

How do you feel about Trump identifying as a nationalist?

Isn’t a nationalist someone who puts hi nation’s interests before those of other countries? If so, count me in. Does nationalist have another meaning there?
Texan
Feral cat

Postby dissilymordentroge » 24 Oct 2018, 16:40

SethBullock wrote:
dissilymordentroge wrote:

Let's do a little accounting, shall we?

- Hillary Clinton, as a member of Congress, voted FOR the Authorization to Use Force against Iraq in 2003.
- As Secretary of State, she and Barack Obama presided over the destruction of all governance in Libya, the assassination of its leader, turning it into an Al Qaeda and ISIS training ground and safe haven. "We came, we saw, and he died. Hahahaha!" - Hillary Clinton
- She and Barack Obama armed and trained "good" rebels in Syria, stoking a civil war, leading to the rise of ISIS, first in Syria, which then swept into Iraq. ISIS had swept through almost all of western Iraq and were knocking on the door of Baghdad, at which point a new U.S. intervention in Iraq had to start to defeat them. The civil war in Syria that they fueled has cost the lives of about a million people.
- And candidate Hillary wanted to escalate our involvement in Syria, declaring no-fly zones putting the U.S. into direct conflict with Russia, and effectively turning our air power into the Syria Rebel Air Force.

On the other hand, Trump ...

- has not involved the U.S. in any new wars.
- has all but finished off ISIS in Iraq and Syria
- has expressed a desire to get our people out of Syria
- explicitly warned Kim Jong Un that he must stop threatening our country
- at great political risk, met with Kim, seeking the avoidance of war, seeking peace, and the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula

Comparing and contrasting Hillary and Trump, and having had a son in combat, I'll take Trump.

My opinion of Hillary was that she was dangerously reckless with the use of military force, based upon her record.

What you say of Obama & Clinton is in part true but none of it makes Trump any less mad and impetuous.https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog ... nald-trump
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... -amendment
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ate-216266
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ee/550193/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/boo ... 498bf0111b
On the other hand :- https://www.psychiatry.org/newsroom/new ... psychiatry
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2018, 18:59

I like this question:

SethBullock wrote:

Would Australians want a leader that looked after the interests of Australia, or would you want a leader that looked after the interests of foreign countries at the expense of Australia?

Well, that is what worries me, and I have asked elsewhere, "What price Australia, Donald," and got a majority response of something like, "Who cares."

He is selling out one his own legal residents to slap the Saudis with a wet lettuce over that murder, all he seems worried about is that they are lousy at 'coverups,' there is appalling conduct in Yemen which he is doing nothing about, he is cosying up to a despot in North Korea..a bloke who starves his own people so he can have lots of nice military parades and missiles, and he is an absolute pig of a man personally. Pinched this fro Member, Kunning:

For Australia and the US to have an alliance with such a regime makes us complicit. While we oust the Saddams and Gaddafis of the world, we cuddle up to the Saudis.

Other than that, where is the problem?

He is threatening trade deals with Australia, he is ripping a huge trade imbalance in his favour against us, he thinks so much of us that he has not even appointed a US Ambassador and I have zero faith in anything he does unless it involves absolute self-interest for the USA.....he is becoming isolationist, and as he admits, he admits, nationalist. He lies. His mouthpieces lie. He has no experience in public administration....but he is very adept at becoming too big for the 'banks' to see fail. He has the national debt in a frightful position...how/when is that ever going to be paid?

And finally, so it is clear, I am pleased Clinton was not elected. I am not happy that Trump was. If that pair are the best the USA can muster, we are all in the shit. So let's:

:beer
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby Bongalong » 24 Oct 2018, 20:33

mothra wrote:Trump: 'You know what I am? I'm a nationalist'

President Trump on Monday declared himself a "nationalist" as he railed against Democrats and "globalists" who put the wellbeing of the world over the country.

At a raucous campaign rally in Houston, Trump warned supporters that Democrats will seek to restore influence to "corrupt, power-hungry globalists."

"You know what a globalist is? A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly, not caring about our country so much," Trump said. "And you know what, we can’t have that."

The crowd began booing as Trump moved on to his preferred descriptor.

"You know, they have a word. It sort of became old-fashioned. It’s called a nationalist," he continued. "And I say really, we’re not supposed to use that word. You know what I am? I am a nationalist. Use that word."

The crowd broke out into chants of "USA" in response.

"A globalist is a person who wants the globe to do well, frankly, not caring about our country so much. And you know what, we can't have that. ... You know what I am? I’m a nationalist. Use that word." - @realDonaldTrump in Texaspic.twitter.com/ynBMThhuvE

— Jason Howerton (@jason_howerton) October 23, 2018
Monday's rally marked a rare instance where Trump explicitly described himself as a "nationalist," a label that has drawn criticism and concern from some U.S. and foreign lawmakers.

Former Vice President Joe Biden has frequently alluded to the rise of "phony nationalism" in his many critiques of Trump since the president took office.

The late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) made similar remarks in a 2017 speech at the National Constitution Center, where he lamented that the U.S. was relinquishing its leadership role abroad in favor of "some half-baked, spurious nationalism."

The president has long-touted his desire to put "America first," railed against global alliances like NATO and the United Nations and recently threatened to cut aid to Central American countries that he lamented "did nothing for us."

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/412649-trump-you-know-what-i-am-im-a-nationalist?fbclid=IwAR3yxnC7bpFzuOflixTlbVpoqFo_RhFWDoBQF1dL2PsC-6aPY3LAJN_0SZw

He didn't say 'ethinic nationalist' so what is the problem?
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 20:40

Calm down, DRAH!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Oct 2018, 20:40

mothra wrote:

You have no problems with your POTUS declaring himself to be a Nationalist? Seriously?

I shouldn't be surprised. You're actually planning on voting for him despite everything aside from this.

If you aren't a globalist then mothra won't discourse with you cour-teous-ly

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 24 Oct 2018, 20:42

hatty wrote:

Says hatty the worlds biggest internet joke... :Hi
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 24 Oct 2018, 20:44

Well, to be honest, as a smaller country we have to play a different role.
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Next

Return to Politics