Wentworth by-election.

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Wentworth by-election.

Postby dissilymordentroge » 21 Oct 2018, 17:36

Looks like late counting of postal votes will narroe Phelps margin. Don’t panic yet.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Oct 2018, 19:28

Read that on my iPhone coming back from the Antiques Fair. . .long way to go to pass Phelps.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 22 Oct 2018, 01:44

I can't see the Lib candidate winning. Dr Kerryn Phelps has too much of a head start. :yahoo

:bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 23 Oct 2018, 13:20

She is a lib.... if she was an independent she would be taking down the Government that gave the countrys children copper internet to compete with in the Asian century this country actually built.

But she doesn't care...........................
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2018, 17:20

Not sworn in yet, DRAH.

I think she is Lib by inclination but is independent.

I think ’scummo is wearing the brown underpants.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Oct 2018, 20:59

HBS Guy wrote:Not sworn in yet, DRAH.

...if she's not threatening to sack the Govt then scomo is not worried one bit..... MATE!

--> IN OTHER WORDS SHE IS SCUM PRETENDING TO NOT BE SCUM!

:Hi
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 21:01

Let us see, OK?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 24 Oct 2018, 21:02

HBS Guy wrote:Let us see, OK?

I'm kind of hoping to see a doctor with some class for once in my life.
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2018, 21:04

dissilymordentroge wrote:Looks like late counting of postal votes will narroe Phelps margin. Don’t panic yet.

I visited the Schloss Mad King Ludwig built to glorify Wagner.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 25 Oct 2018, 13:10

HBS Guy wrote:
dissilymordentroge wrote:Looks like late counting of postal votes will narroe Phelps margin. Don’t panic yet.

I’ve often wondered if Herr Wagner & the Mad King ever got together in the boudoir to make beautiful music.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Oct 2018, 13:56

Ha! Who knows?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby hatty » 25 Oct 2018, 15:24

dissilymordentroge wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:

I’ve often wondered if Herr Wagner & the Mad King ever got together in the boudoir to make beautiful music.

:bgrin :bgrin :yellow
hatty
Feral cat

Postby pinkeye » 26 Oct 2018, 01:39

Bongalong wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Not sworn in yet, DRAH.

.--> IN OTHER WORDS SHE IS SCUM PRETENDING TO NOT BE SCUM!

:Hi

Stop being such a stirrer DRAY. No one will like you. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Oct 2018, 09:30

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 27 Oct 2018, 09:52

HBS Guy wrote:Saturday Paper on the Wentworth result, by Paul Bongiorno:

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/opinion/topic/2018/10/27/morrison-and-the-tide-wentworth/15405588007044

good aricle

Morrison, and the libs in general, have their head stuck up their arses and are living in denial. They don't seem to understand just why their support base is collapsing, and are content to just blame each other.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 04 Nov 2018, 20:09

I understand it's now official, .....counting is over and Phelps has won Wentworth
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2018, 09:35

Announced on ABC News just now.

Bit of a verbose victory speech.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 05 Nov 2018, 13:10

It's copper internet: the nasty liberal voters all know they're legacy is one of nothing to their kids!
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 05 Nov 2018, 15:29

Great editorial in I.A.

DENIAL AS AN ART FORM

Sometimes democracy makes you want to bang your head against the wall — notably when our leaders seem deaf and blind to our cries.

For most Australians, regardless of their political leanings, the message from the Wentworth by-election was clear. An electorate that had voted Liberal since time began, made up of voters who most closely fit the Liberal Party target voter modelling, gave the Morrison Government the biggest thumping since time began.
STAGGERING LOSS IN LIBERAL HEARTLAND

With subsequent by-election voter analyses of the 19 per cent swing rivalling post-mortems of Kennedy’s assassination, the reasons for the staggering loss of votes in Wentworth can safely be categorised as deep voter disaffection with the Government’s policies — or lack of them.

Independent Kerryn Phelps, soon to be sworn in as the new Member for Wentworth, described her win as signalling the return of "decency, integrity and humanity" to the Australian Government.

She added:

"And let's hope for a bit of commonsense on climate change."

Phelps identified at least three key areas in the lead-up to the election on which the people of Wentworth wanted action: the treatment of asylum seekers in Australia's offshore detention centres; climate change; and the constant undermining of the ABC.

As much as the Coalition tried to ignore these election issues by throwing trinkets and distractions at Wentworth, the voters dug their heels in only further, turning what may have been a slight marginal hiccup into a demoralising defeat.

Of course, most analysts (probably even the ones the Liberal Party employ) know that an electorate with a higher than average educational attainment like Wentworth is not likely to be influenced by transparent tokenism — and indeed it wasn’t.

What is interesting, however, is whether, had the Government listened to its constituents and done something concrete to address their chief concerns – particularly on climate change action – we would even be having this conversation.

WENTWORTH AND THE WIDER ELECTORATE

Also significant is the extent to which this by-election is indicative of the wider electorate, with the most recent Newspoll indicating the result overwhelmingly reflects the views of the majority of Australians. Of course, for many Australians, these are not the only issues on which they want change but certainly, they are pertinent issues.

The residents of Wentworth may have higher disposable incomes, bigger houses and higher education attainment, but they still reflect the greater community on climate change, on how Australians are judged on our compassion with respect to vulnerable asylum seekers and on maintaining a thriving and independent public broadcaster.

Those who dismiss Wentworth as not representative of the majority of Australians are missing the point. Of course, all electorates are not the same and Wentworth is one of the most privileged areas, but if the Liberal Party has been rejected in its heartland so brutally, it follows that the less enamoured among us will likely do worse at the forthcoming federal election.

PERFECTING DENIAL

Poll after poll has shown that Australians want real action on all the above issues, particularly on climate. Yet the Coalition, even after getting annihilated in Wentworth, are sticking to their no-action plan.

Now led by a man whose background is in marketing, it is extraordinary that Morrison, at least, can’t recognise that a complete rebrand is necessary.

Scott Morrison, seemingly completely immune to the foghorn cries of the Liberal heartland has, since the by-election, continued to scream to anyone within earshot about magically reducing power prices while ignoring climate change, reneged on his pre-Wentworth olive branch of reconsidering the plight of (at least) children on Nauru and has not even attempted to change his shouty, same-old-same-old rhetoric.

Indeed, unable to change to save itself, even the Victorian State Coalition branch has decided to go further right-wing in the lead-up to the State Election, with Morrison offering his winning marketing moves to assist Matthew Guy's bid to be Premier.

It was Sigmund Freud who first described denial as a state of 'knowing-but-not-knowing'. Denial, according to Freud, is 'rational apprehension that does not result in appropriate action'.

This theory certainly provides some insight into this particular iteration of the Coalition Government.

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/editorial-excerpt-scott-morrison-after-wentworth--denial-as-an-artform,12055
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Previous

Return to Politics