'Taken over by extremists'

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

'Taken over by extremists'

Postby mothra » 12 Oct 2018, 10:13

'Taken over by extremists': Malcolm Turnbull's son urges voters to dump Liberals

Alex Turnbull makes dramatic intervention in Wentworth byelection, which was sparked by his father’s resignation

Malcolm Turnbull’s son, Alex Turnbull, has urged voters not to support the Liberal party in the Wentworth byelection, saying the party had been taken over by “extremists”.

Alex Turnbull has previously indicated support for Labor’s candidate, Tim Murray, but in a video posted on social media on Thursday he made a dramatic intervention into the race for his father’s former seat.

Referring to the September leadership coup which saw his father lose power, Turnbull said parts of the Liberal party had been motivated by “a crazy agenda”.

“To me this particular event seems to show the Liberal party has been taken over frankly by extremists on the hard right who aren’t particularly motivated to win elections and aren’t particularly motivated to serve the public,” he said. “They’re just motivated by a crazy agenda.”

Citing the “terrifying” IPCC report on climate change, Turnbull highlighted the party’s seeming inability to secure a coherent energy policy as a particular failing.

“As an investor in energy I’ve seen that, in particular, there’s no way coal can compete anymore,” he said. “And yet still some would like to prosecute a culture war over this issue for whatever their reasons may be.”

The Singapore-based banker said the party needed to be sent a message.

“Some small-L liberals like myself are very upset and frankly conflicted due to the fact there seems to be no one we can reasonably vote for,” he said.

“But here’s the thing about the Wentworth byelection. We’re going to have an election in 12 months anyway [so] if you want to send a signal as to which way the Liberal party is going and your displeasure with where it is going, then this is your opportunity.

“Don’t vote for the Liberal party in the Wentworth byelection if you want to pull the Liberal party back from the brink. It’s the one clear signal you can send. Consider it an intervention for Australia, for the party and for Wentworth.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/11/taken-over-by-extremists-malcolm-turnbulls-son-urges-voters-to-dump-liberals?CMP=soc_567
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: 'Taken over by extremists'

Postby hatty » 12 Oct 2018, 10:24

I agree with him.....

but of course Turnbull's son would take this position.

I still hope they get obliterated in the next election for the shit they have pulled and have tried to pull.
hatty
Jack Russell

Postby mothra » 12 Oct 2018, 10:29

hatty wrote:I agree with him.....

but of course Turnbull's son would take this position.

I still hope they get obliterated in the next election for the shit they have pulled and have tried to pull.

Anyone other than Shorten at the helm and it would be a blood-bath.

As it stands, i worry.
mothra
Duck

Postby hatty » 12 Oct 2018, 10:39

aye...... i don't vote for people, i vote for policies but i'm not in the majority.

shorten is pretty unelectable.
hatty
Jack Russell

Postby mothra » 12 Oct 2018, 10:43

Were i to have my way, i'd capitalise on the success of Jacinda Arden and the massive topical gender equality push and give Penny Wong the guernsey. Her or Tanya Plibersek.

Plibersek is probably a safer option ... i just love Wong so very much.
mothra
Duck

Postby hatty » 12 Oct 2018, 10:59

Just on that.....

Jacinda is amazing! New Zealand hasn't imploded since she became PM

Look at Trudeau...... Canada hasn't fallen victim to the compassionate progressive threat.

I think we could learn from this.

Jacinda turns up at the UN general assembly with her baby...... (first ever to do so)

Trump turns up just lying and boasting..... literally laughable
hatty
Jack Russell

Postby johnsmith » 12 Oct 2018, 12:16

hatty wrote: literally laughable

which they did! :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Oct 2018, 13:46

Shorten will win the next election. They love him at the town hall style meetings he holds, in the election that side of him will come to the fore.

He needs to work on his image a bit, show some passion, get rid of the daggy blue suits.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Politics