Jesus and discrimination

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Jesus and discrimination

Postby mothra » 11 Oct 2018, 14:01

Discrimination Is What Jesus Was All About, Morrison Says

Defending the right of Christian schools to discriminate against students and teachers, Scott Morrison said it was entirely appropriate because, when you think about it, discrimination was Jesus’s thing.

“He didn’t just hang out with anybody. He was very choosy when it came to who he associated with – he was famous for it,” Morrison said.

The PM said that if Jesus were alive today, he would be campaigning strongly for the right to discriminate. “At its heart, Jesus’s message was that you should think very carefully about who you show compassion towards. I think it makes sense that Christian schools follow that lead”.

Morrison said Jesus was well known for his picky attitude. “His mates didn’t call him ‘Judgy Jesus’ for nothing. What did he used to say? ‘Love your neighbour after you’ve done a thorough check to ascertain their sexuality’”.

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2018/10/11/discrimination-is-what-jesus-was-all-about-morrison-says/?wp-nocache=true
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Jesus and discrimination

Postby johnsmith » 11 Oct 2018, 14:15

you almost had me :giggle
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 11 Oct 2018, 14:37

He did discriminate, just not in the way the article tries to make a joke about.
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Auggie » 12 Oct 2018, 21:35

It's interesting that we criticise Christians for failing to practise morals which we are not bound to practise as atheists.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 09:32

ABC News channel just announced Scummo will ensure no kid is discriminated against because of their sexuality. There would be more than an eye on the Wentworth bielection.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Auggie » 13 Oct 2018, 11:13

HBS Guy wrote:ABC News channel just announced Scummo will ensure no kid is discriminated against because of their sexuality. There would be more than an eye on the Wentworth bielection.

I'm on the fence with this one. In my view, faith schools which receive government funding shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against any child, and considering that the majority of faith schools receive government funding, I suppose this applies in the majority.

On the other hand, if a school is solely privately funded, then I think it should be allowed to discriminate.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Oct 2018, 12:21

Isn’t it all about the children? Why should adherence to an invisible sky fairy and his evil book allow people to hurt kids by shunning them?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Auggie » 13 Oct 2018, 12:53

HBS Guy wrote:Isn’t it all about the children? Why should adherence to an invisible sky fairy and his evil book allow people to hurt kids by shunning them?

Why would a parent want to send his/her child to a school that doesn't want them? If you know that a school doesn't like gays and his/her child is gay, just send them to a school that will accept them. It's not like there isn't a public school system available.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 13 Oct 2018, 15:38

Auggie wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:ABC News channel just announced Scummo will ensure no kid is discriminated against because of their sexuality. There would be more than an eye on the Wentworth bielection.

I'm on the fence with this one. In my view, faith schools which receive government funding shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against any child, and considering that the majority of faith schools receive government funding, I suppose this applies in the majority.

On the other hand, if a school is solely privately funded, then I think it should be allowed to discriminate.

At what age do you think a child should first legally be able to be quantifies, ostracised and exiled then, Auggie. By law.

Pre-puberty? A disliking of contact sports do it? A penchant for pastels? Girls with short hair who play hockey?

Or do we wait until puberty before we rip them out of their lives over something they have no control over and are probably (owing to the sickness of the environment they have been raised) terrified?

And we teach the rest of the kids that's how we do things?

You want that in our society?
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 13 Oct 2018, 17:09

mothra wrote:
Auggie wrote:

At what age do you think a child should first legally be able to be quantifies, ostracised and exiled then, Auggie. By law.

Pre-puberty? A disliking of contact sports do it? A penchant for pastels? Girls with short hair who play hockey?

Or do we wait until puberty before we rip them out of their lives over something they have no control over and are probably (owing to the sickness of the environment they have been raised) terrified?

And we teach the rest of the kids that's how we do things?

You want that in our society?

No I don’t. I also don’t want a situation in which a student becomes ostracised within the school and tolerated at best because the school and other kids are forced by law to accommodate that child. It’s a double edged sword.

Second, we’re not talking about public schools here, I was talking about solely privately funded schools which would be few and far between. Public schools and schools that receive government money - absolutely force and enforce integration of all people.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 08:49

Auggie wrote:I was talking about solely privately funded schools which would be few and far between

most parents who send their kids to privately funded school do so throughout the child's entire school life. Starting from kindergarten or prep (depending on what state you are in) right through to year 12. If you're such a parent, and your child doesn't show any homosexual tendencies until puberty, should your child be ripped out of the life he knows, and away from his/her mates because some bible basher is a afraid he's going to get the gay germs?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 14 Oct 2018, 10:01

johnsmith wrote:
Auggie wrote:I was talking about solely privately funded schools which would be few and far between

most parents who send their kids to privately funded school do so throughout the child's entire school life. Starting from kindergarten or prep (depending on what state you are in) right through to year 12. If you're such a parent, and your child doesn't show any homosexual tendencies until puberty, should your child be ripped out of the life he knows, and away from his/her mates because some bible basher is a afraid he's going to get the gay germs?

No. You're absolutely right on this point.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 16:52

And a school might have a teacher or teach a class or have some facility the parent wants for their kid. Even gays can be religious, I guess.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 17:42

HBS Guy wrote: Even gays can be religious, I guess.

a lot of priests are
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 17:50

Priests are not necessarily believers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 14 Oct 2018, 18:55

HBS Guy wrote:Priests are not necessarily believers.

a bit like car salesmen .. they know what they're selling you is dodgy, but they have to sell it anyway :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Oct 2018, 19:37

Yup.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby hatty » 15 Oct 2018, 10:49

haha thread delivers.

I laughed a little bit harder than i really should have at these last posts.

On a serious note. I wholeheartedly agree with JS on this.

to think otherwise just seems a bit .....well wrong.

common sense always seems to be at odds with religion. i shall try to use mine at every opportunity.
hatty
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2018, 10:57

Trusting in an invisible sky fairy is no way to live one’s life!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby dissilymordentroge » 15 Oct 2018, 13:24

HBS Guy wrote:Trusting in an invisible sky fairy is no way to live one’s life!

I may be mistaken on a cosmic scale but for those who imagine they deserve to live forever and those who fear death it can be a comforting delusion.
We also need to examine the nature/ causes and evolutionary value of what are described as ‘religious states’.
The real absurdity comes with the endless flood of pseudo philosophical diatribe the religious produce as ‘proof’ of the existence of their particular God/gods or the supposed necessity for an intelligent, all loving creator. I could just as easily produce a weighty tome proving if there is such an entity it’s either sadistic beyond belief or somewhere along the line committed suicide (the Big Bang?) or simply lost control of everything.
If any of you really want to turn your brains into porridge read Anselm of Canterbury (1033 - 1109) on Christian Platonism in his tome Monologian.
Instance his teleological ‘observation’ that "humans and angels were made for happy immortality enjoying God, and to that end were given powers of reason to make accurate value assessments and will to love accordingly”
Methinks the Almighty forgot to grant Anselm sufficient powers of reason let alone common sense.
The Human Race is insane.
dissilymordentroge
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2018, 13:38

Hell is pure unbridled sadism. Just read Inferno by Dante.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 15 Oct 2018, 13:57

Seems like the place to leave this:

mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 15 Oct 2018, 14:27

:clap :clap
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Auggie » 15 Oct 2018, 17:34

mothra wrote:Seems like the place to leave this:

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Return to Politics