Why The Parrot wants the Everest race promoted

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Why The Parrot wants the Everest race promoted

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2018, 11:33

on the sails of the Opera House:

Two of Jones’ business partners in the horse racing industry have contenders in the $10 million race. A horse part-owned by Jones had also vied for a spot, while two of the runners were sired by a “super stallion” he co-owns.
………………………………………………………..
Jones’ company Belford Productions is in a partnership with two ventures that do have runners of their own preparing for next Saturday, an Australian business record shows.

One of those partners is Godolphin Australia Pty Ltd, which is ultimately owned by the Emir of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, as part of his global horse racing operation.

Godolphin is fielding Home of the Brave in The Everest race and his trainer says “he’ll more than hold his own against some of the best sprinters in the world.”

Another company in partnership with Jones belongs to John Messara, the former chair of Racing NSW.

Close friends, Mr Messara and Jones have attended Magic Millions sales together and have shared interests in several horses.

Mr Messara’s company Arrowfield Group co-owns Shoals, “a consistent and genuine” filly starting in The Everest

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/the-everest-horses-alan-jones-will-have-his-eye-on-20181006-p5086j.html
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Why The Parrot wants the Everest race promoted

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Oct 2018, 11:35

A truly vile human being.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby mothra » 08 Oct 2018, 11:39

mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2018, 12:06

Saw that, not gonna happen so I didn’t post it here.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Oct 2018, 12:16

Is that Robert's son?

Jesus, the last time I saw him he was about 5 years old.

My mate's parents used to manage the Holmes à Court property down south (back in the '80s), and we used to go down there on the weekends and ride their motorbikes and quads.

Simon was just a little kid.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2018, 12:38

Don’t know if he is from those Holme’s a Courts. Have wondered.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 08 Oct 2018, 12:46

HBS Guy wrote:Don’t know if he is from those Holme’s a Courts. Have wondered.

I'm pretty sure he is Robert's son.

He's the right age, and I can remember the mother (forgotten her name) calling the boys in for lunch on the weekends - there was a Simon, a Paul and a Peter (?)

There was a sister too, but don't remember her name.

Robert was never there, but the rest of the family usually was.

The poor bugger was only about 50 when he died.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Dax » 08 Oct 2018, 14:03

Where do you think the political parties get their finances from, not the general public, but big business and vested interests. The gambling industry is a huge supporter of the incumbent political system and the number of pollies who leave and end up working for these businesses grows daily.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby mothra » 09 Oct 2018, 10:42

The Chaser displays ad on Opera House, urging Aussies to 'call Alan'

Comedy group The Chaser projected Alan Jones' phone number on the Sydney Opera House following the public backlash to the radio broadcaster's call for Louise Herron to be sacked.

Mr Jones came under intense scrutiny last Friday after he told Opera House Chief Louise Herron she should be sacked after she ruled out allowing words or branding highlighting The Everest horse race to be projected on the sails of the iconic building.

Ms Herron refused to budge claiming the sails were not "a billboard", but she was later overruled by NSW Premier Gladys Berejeklian.

Following days of public backlash, The Chaser used the opportunity to mock the decision to allow the advertisement on Monday night.

The comedians projected "Advertise Here, Call Alan" on the sails of the Opera House. They wrote on social media Jorn Utzon, the architect of the Opera House, would be "so proud".

On Tuesday morning, Mr Jones said he regrets calling for the sacking of Ms Herron, as opposition to the promotion of a horse race on the sails of the iconic building mounts.

“I used some words in these programs about the Everest, and the Opera House, and Louise, which in hindsight I now most regret hearing, having heard the impact they’ve clearly had on some people,” he said on air.

“In relation to Louise [Herron], I was tough regarding an issue I and others felt is very important.”

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-chaser-displays-ad-on-opera-house-urging-aussies-to-call-alan
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Oct 2018, 12:10

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Politics