Vale Quentin

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Vale Quentin

Postby mothra » 07 Oct 2018, 16:34

Disability advocate and actor Quentin Kenihan dies in Adelaide, aged 43

Quentin Kenihan, the man known as the "little Aussie battler" because of his strong advocacy for people with disabilities, has died at the age of 43.

The Adelaide actor, entertainer and personality was born with a serious bone disease called osteogenesis imperfecta and became well-known for his childhood interviews with Mike Willesee.

Willesee later made a documentary about Kenihan simply called Quentin.

Kenihan had a television series on Network Ten, acted in the blockbuster Mad Max: Fury Road and was most recently running for a spot on the Adelaide City Council.

It is understood Kenihan, who also made regular appearances on the ABC, passed away on Saturday evening, and that his death has come as a great shock to friends and family.

Actor and friend Russell Crowe took to Twitter to pay tribute.

"Devastating news. My little mate, the bravest bloke I ever met… gone. We will meet again," Crowe tweeted.

"Not confined any more… Between your interviews, your book, your one man show, your zany little movies… what a creative and productive life."

Former support worker and friend Ian Kissock first met Kenihan 12 years ago, and described him as a "phenomenal" and "unique character".

"I saw him yesterday afternoon — he was fine. Then I get a phone call to say can I come and put his mask on. When I got here, there were two ambos here and they couldn't revive him," he said.

"Quentin was unique. He had a fantastic sense of humour. He had a brilliant mind. He was a unique character who was able to do things even with his disabilities.

"He's done everything — he was on TV, he was on the stage, he's been in major films. He's done it all. For a guy that had a major disability, he's been phenomenal in that he's been able to do all these things."

'An inspiring message to deliver'

During his life, Kenihan suffered more than 600 fractures because of his brittle bone disease.

He was widely regarded as an inspirational figure because of his ability to triumph in the face of adversity.

Kenihan was also a very active social media user on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, and affectionately dubbed his legion of followers "Qpeeps".

Dozens have expressed their sympathies, praising him for his resilience and larger-than-life personality.

"He had a tough gig but certainly didn't spend his life complaining about it. Rest In Peace Quentin, condolences to the family and friends," one tweeted.

Kenihan's heartfelt and humorous memoir Not All Superheroes Wear Capes was published in 2016, with a foreword by Ray Martin.

In it, Kenihan reflected on his passion for films, including Star Wars, and his youthful love of the Superman comics.

"What I've learnt is that we all have our kryptonite but we also have our strengths," he said.

"The key to a good life is learning to cope with the bad and celebrate the good. It's taken me a long while to work that one out.

"Everything I've faced in my life has shaped who I am and what I've done.

"I have some great stories to tell and, I hope, an inspiring message to deliver."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-07/disability-advocate-quentin-kenihan-dies-in-adelaide-aged-43/10348452
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Vale Quentin

Postby Dax » 07 Oct 2018, 17:29

Have always admired and respected those that face such difficult painful and in lots of cases, short lives. All I've got is a smashed hand and it's driving me crazy waiting for it to heal. Vale had hundreds of broken bones, that's real strength of character.

Have worked with people like Vale in riding for the disabled for many years, each time there my admiration for them grows, as it does for all the helpers involved and of course, the wonderful gentle horses we use. The example that comes when disabled people and especially kids arrive, from the horses, we can all learn a great deal from.

More than 50 years go, people like Vale would have either died at birth or dumped into an institution to die there. Today, people like Vale have and opportunity top have a life and he was one who worked towards making it better and easier for disadvantage people to make their mark in society and life.

Always a sad passing, but he made his life a good useful and successful one.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2018, 17:42

Yeah, a bloody awful disease and what a wonderful man!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 07 Oct 2018, 17:44

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, a bloody awful disease and what a wonderful man!

Fabulous, yeah? I grew up watching him ... he's about my age so i always keenly related to him.

Such an excellent sense of humour. Sharp as a tack. Compassionate. Humble.

All the best bits of humanity.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2018, 17:47

Seen him around the Central Market a few times, not so much the last few years.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 07 Oct 2018, 17:51

HBS Guy wrote:Seen him around the Central Market a few times, not so much the last few years.

Yeah i saw him there from time to time too. And at the Fringe and other places.

He got about.

I wonder if he is as well known in other states as he is here?
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2018, 17:56

Dunno.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 07 Oct 2018, 17:56

mothra wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Seen him around the Central Market a few times, not so much the last few years.

He got about.

Don't know what state you are in, but he was known in Tas and Vic for his work. There is a very good independent arts scene down there with an excellent film theatre that provides real movies and not USA and commercial crap.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 07 Oct 2018, 17:59

seemed like a nice bloke. Instead of feeling sorry for himself (and he had every right to), he tried to make a difference.
Rest in Peace
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby greggerypeccary » 07 Oct 2018, 18:46

mothra wrote:

He got about.

Oh yeah, he was very well known over here in the west.

Sad loss.

He managed to live about 20 years more than the doctors predicted, though (is that right???).
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 07 Oct 2018, 19:51

greggerypeccary wrote:
He managed to live about 20 years more than the doctors predicted, though (is that right???).

I read today that he wasn't expected to survive 3 months. I've not heard the 20 years thing but i know he's certainly been told to not make long term plans a number of times.

Asthma in the end. A horrible death. Very unfair.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Oct 2018, 11:28

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Politics