The Four Day Week

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

The Four Day Week

Postby mothra » 03 Oct 2018, 01:17

'No downside': New Zealand firm adopts four-day week after successful trial

Perpetual Guardian says staff were more focused and productive after the experiment and better able to manage work-life balance

The New Zealand company behind a landmark trial of a four-day working week has declared it a success and will be adopting the new schedule full time.

Almost 250 staff at Perpetual Guardian, a company which manages trusts, wills and estate planning, trialled a four-day working week over March and April this year, working four eight-hour days but getting paid for five.

Academics who studied the trial found staff at the firm’s offices around the country reported lower stress levels, higher levels of job satisfaction and an improved sense of work-life balance.

Perpetual Guardian’s founder, Andrew Barnes, said staff could choose whether to opt into a four-day week, and lawyers had been consulted to ensure the new system would abide by New Zealand employment law and conditions.

Workers who chose not to opt into the four-day week would still be offered flexible options such as starting or finishing early to avoid traffic congestion or manage their childcare commitments.

Barnes initially undertook the trial after observing how much pressure some of his staff were under to manage their personal and professional lives.

Barnes wondered if having an extra day to manage their home life would make his staff more focused and productive in the office – and data and anecdotal evidence has proved his theory an unequivocal success.

“For us, this is about our company getting improved productivity from greater workplace efficiencies … there’s no downside for us,” he said.

“The right attitude is a requirement to make it work – everyone has to be committed and take it seriously for us to create a viable long-term model for our business.”

New Zealand’s workplace relations minister, Iain Lees-Galloway, described the findings of the four-day work week as “very interesting”, and said he was keen to work with businesses exploring new models for the modern-day office.

Data was collected by two New Zealand academics before and after the trial period. In November last year just over half of staff (54%) felt they could balance their work and home commitments, while after the trial this number jumped to 78%.

Staff stress levels decreased by seven percentage points across the board as a result of the trial, while stimulation, commitment and a sense of empowerment at work all improved significantly, with overall life satisfaction increasing by five percentage points.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/02/no-downside-new-zealand-firm-adopts-four-day-week-after-successful-trial?CMP=fb_gu
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: The Four Day Week

Postby pinkeye » 03 Oct 2018, 02:19

makes sense

we live with the legacy of industrial England, and only unions have previously sought to improve the lot of wage-slaves.

This is good news... and of course, it comes from NZ. : )
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Oct 2018, 12:53

Males a LOT of sense.

Nice work, once again, from our NZ friends.

I'm liking that place more and more.

Might be time for another trip to Blenheim and Queenstown.
greggerypeccary
Jaguar

Postby Auggie » 03 Oct 2018, 14:24

greggerypeccary wrote:Males a LOT of sense.

Nice work, once again, from our NZ friends.

I'm liking that place more and more.

Might be time for another trip to Blenheim and Queenstown.

Do you like their higher taxes?
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 06 Oct 2018, 19:31

the conservanuts will go crazy if the unions try for this
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Dax » 07 Oct 2018, 10:29

laughable, do you realise that there is more under employed and part time employed getting less than 30hr a week in Aus, than fully employed. Fix that first and make life cheaper, so people can have more free time to enjoy life.

My philosophy has always been, I work to live, not live to work. So now only work a couple of days a week if I feel like it and was we pay our employees on an above award incentive wage, most work between 30-35hrs. I refuse to let anyone work more than 40hrs a week, which against what most idiots think, improves my business outcome tremendously and it's a win win for all involved.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Oct 2018, 20:07

I would like a 4 day week.
Cannot see getting paid for a 5 day week when only working for 4.

It'ld be a much better life balance
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 07 Oct 2018, 20:09

Sprintcyclist wrote:I would like a 4 day week.
Cannot see getting paid for a 5 day week when only working for 4.

It'ld be a much better life balance

if productivity increased enough to cover it why not.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Oct 2018, 20:18

4 x 10 hour days.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Oct 2018, 20:24

I have another interest, so go home early 2 days a week.

Could manage 2 X 8 hour days, 2 X 7 hour days.
Seems reasonable, to me.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier

Return to Politics