Why do kindergarteners need a song about school shootings?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Postby mothra » 08 Jun 2018, 18:00

A parent touring her child's soon-to-be kindergarten in the US this week was troubled by a poem taped to the chalkboard.

The nursery rhyme, written in large, colourful letters, appears to follow the same tune as the lullaby Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, but tells the children what to do in the event of a school shooting.

Lockdown, Lockdown

Lock the door

Shut the lights off

Say no more

Go behind the desk and hide

Wait until it's safe inside

Lockdown, Lockdown

It's all done

Now it's time to have some fun!

Thousands of people liked and commented on Ms Cohen's post, with many expressing their dismay at seeing the song displayed at the school.

But in a reply Ms Cohen said:

"The school is doing exactly what they need to be doing, and I am glad for it."

"My issue is with the political & cultural factors that brought us to this sad state. Please talk to your legislators about the need for gun reform."

Since 1999, 170 schools and about 150,000 students in the US have been affected by school-based gun violence.

There have been two mass schools shootings this year, at Parkland, Florida and Santa Fe, Texas.

The 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, in which 20 children between the ages of six and seven were killed, is the fourth deadliest mass shooting in the US to date.

Somerville mayor Joseph Curtatone and superintendent Mary Skipper, whose districts include the kindergarten with the Lockdown song, told the Huffington Post the poem was a result of "the world we live in".

"Students in Somerville and across the country know how unnatural this is," a statement from the pair said.

"Yet we all know that one of the most important roles we have as educators and community leaders is to ensure that all of our students and staff members are safe and prepared in case of an emergency.

"This poem is an example of how one of our educators used a rhyme to help her young students stay calm and remember the key steps they would need to follow during a drill or real emergency."

Should we teach kids about such dark things?
Using rhymes, cartoons and jingles to prepare children for dangerous situations is not new — and it can be useful.

At the height of the Cold War, schoolchildren in Chicago practised taking shelter under their desks at 10:30am every Tuesday morning.

Alarms and sirens would sound outside and the children would watch the short film Duck and Cover about how to survive a nuclear attack.

The film's star was Bert the Turtle, and the opening jingle went like this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/lockdown-poem-in-kindergarten-not-first-children-story-with-dist/9848962?sf191343428=1
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Why do kindergarteners need a song about school shooting

Postby johnsmith » 08 Jun 2018, 18:45

welcome to America

Land of the free
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 08 Jun 2018, 23:07

Can't remember where i read it but someone put it so eloquently. I'll paraphrase but the gist was:

The kids are frightened. They don't want to be shot at school.

They're asking for help.

From the grown-ups.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 08 Jun 2018, 23:12

mothra wrote:Can't remember where i read it but someone put it so eloquently. I'll paraphrase but the gist was:

They're asking for help.

From the grown-ups.

I'll bet they are

unfortunately, the gun lobby donates far to much money to politicians for things to change

maybe when these kids grow up and become politicians they might remember how they felt and think twice before accepting money from the NRA, but I'm not hopeful
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 08 Jun 2018, 23:25

It's just unbelievably perverse. Amerika is fucked.
mothra
Duck

Postby MilesAway » 09 Jun 2018, 15:55

johnsmith wrote:welcome to America

Land of the free

Welcome to johnsmith, curmudgeon of the internet!

:bike :bike
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 09 Jun 2018, 15:56

mothra wrote:Can't remember where i read it but someone put it so eloquently. I'll paraphrase but the gist was:

They're asking for help.

From the grown-ups.

Well, well, well... the growing pains of being the worlds leader :tweed
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 09 Jun 2018, 15:58

johnsmith wrote:

They're asking for help.

From the grown-ups.

I'll bet they are

unfortunately, the gun lobby donates far to much money to politicians for things to change

maybe when these kids grow up and become politicians they might remember how they felt and think twice before accepting money from the NRA, but I'm not hopeful

How will they get elected to bring down America? That will be an interesting campaign!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 09 Jun 2018, 15:58

mothra wrote:It's just unbelievably perverse. Amerika is fucked.

The world is fucked! You're fucked!!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Return to Politics