Budget 2018—what has been leaked

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Budget 2018—what has been leaked

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2018, 19:17

Jot down here what you know has been leaked (tax cuts, infrastructure spend, return to surplus) and how likely they are.

Libs spend on infrastructure? Nah, announce, reannounce, forget. More so for public transport.

What do YOU think should be in the Budget tomorrow?

Talk economics, talk in tongues like our pretend Treasurer, whatever :bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Budget 2018—what has been leaked

Postby johnsmith » 07 May 2018, 19:36

what happened to the budget emergency?

anyone catch dutton on tele this morning admit that asylum seekers are still drowning? I hope someone from labor is smart enough to record it and play it back hourly on continuous loop
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2018, 19:47

Surplus is in sight.

Not with wage theft/stagnation as it is.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 May 2018, 22:49

johnsmith wrote:what happened to the budget emergency?

anyone catch dutton on tele this morning admit that asylum seekers are still drowning? I hope someone from labor is smart enough to record it and play it back hourly on continuous loop

No I didn't, but thank you. Please post this also on the DUTTON thread, if you haven't already. Haven't got there yet tonight. I am quite sure that people have been continuing to get on boats out of sheer desperation to LIVE. Worth the risk of drowning. That's how bad it is for them.

I am sure this has been ongoing, ever since the GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN FREEDOM OF INFORMATION TO its (nominal) citizens, like you and me. HIGH-LEVEL , VERY EXPENSIVE CENSORSHIP, has been put in place, THROUGH LAW!!!! :WTF OUR govt has done this, to keep us in ignorance and feed us the LIE.

FUCK THEM. SHOWS YOU, doesn't it?? just how BAD THEY KNOW THEY ARE. !!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 07 May 2018, 22:53

so yeah I just checked Monks Budget Speech topic, and he directed me back here.

YOU KNOW?? I'm not watching it. I think I'll ignore it all.

Morrison is a dog, and so are all his mates.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 07 May 2018, 22:56

ooops I missed a point.!

The government refers to unexpected funds,,, ??? to ENABLE this largesse ( :roll ) they are promising.

Every time, I want to know... where did this UNEXPECTED BOUNTY COME FROM.? Any body know.? Has OUR government told us, in other than the vaguest terms, where it comes from.? Anybody.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2018, 23:27

Probably money they were gonna spend but didn’t.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 May 2018, 23:30

HBS Guy wrote:Probably money they were gonna spend but didn’t.

Sorry Monk , but that is NOT the answer.
Anybody?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2018, 23:33

They are probably just lying. Know more tomorrow night.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 07 May 2018, 23:44

HBS Guy wrote:They are probably just lying. Know more tomorrow night.

No.. not acceptable. They're not going to tell us in the Budget.!! :roll

They are saying they have this unexpected source of increased funds. BUT they WILL NOT say where its from.
NOW.. ASK yourself a question. WHY ?? they won't tell us, their constituents.? They are playing the tease game, to US , their citizens, voters, and taxpayers. How fucking FULL OF SHIT are they?

No I don't think they want to tell us, because it is huge, and it is from a source they have been downplaying for YEARS. Because THEY ARE ESSENTIALLY, AT HEART, LIARS. See? if you want to succeed in BUSINESS, IN FINANCE..? you have to be able to spin a tale.! THIS IS NOT APPROPRIATE............ IN GOVERNMENT.
But hey .. OUR PM was a BANKER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know the source of this largesse.??
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 08 May 2018, 00:08

the libs are lucky that the dollar fell when they took office. If the dollar was at parity or higher than the US, like it was under labor, we'd be well and truly screwed.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 08 May 2018, 00:15

johnsmith wrote:the libs are lucky that the dollar fell when they took office. If the dollar was at parity or higher than the US, like it was under labor, we'd be well and truly screwed.

Well, yes, despite what the Coalition say, they are NOT better than Labor at fiscal management. In fact, the opposite is true.
So..? where has this money come from.?

You'd think we'd know, yeah.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 08 May 2018, 00:21

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:the libs are lucky that the dollar fell when they took office. If the dollar was at parity or higher than the US, like it was under labor, we'd be well and truly screwed.

Well, yes, despite what the Coalition say, they are NOT better than Labor at fiscal management. In fact, the opposite is true.
So..? where has this money come from.?

You'd think we'd know, yeah.?

Apparently commodity prices went up which meant that profits went up and govt. actually collected more in tax this year than usual.

Also, another claim is that the effect of the gfc have now gone through the system, and companies have this year stopped carrying losses or expenditure caused by the gfc, which up until now they've been declaring as tax deductions. .. which again means companies are paying more tax
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 08 May 2018, 00:48

So ? you are saying increased tax from COMPANIES ? is the source.??

SO how DOES THAT EXPLAIN the proposed company tax cuts.? So The LNP DOESN'T WANT THIS JUDICIAL TAX.? HUH.?

Now, tell me JS.. does that make sense.?

AHHHHHHHHHHHH,, perhaps its from MINING. YOU KNOW IRON ORE. ? CHINA..? The LIE that the mining boom was over.!! THE BIG LIE.!

Now lets be honest here. There WAS NEVER a real drop in exports to China of iron ore. That was a lie.
WE are tied to CHINA for our economic livelihood.
That was their plan ,and it just goes deeper. SO... I suggest these supposed ( lie) unexpected funds, COME FROM CHINA.
Anyone have anything to suggest differently.??

Sorry fellas, but your suggestion of unspent, previously unadvised funds is bogus, as is .. monetary shifts.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2018, 01:19

The big miners are not making that much out of the trade ATM.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 08 May 2018, 01:36

HBS Guy wrote:The big miners are not making that much out of the trade ATM.

How do you know that?

Iron ore exports, and prices, haven't really changed that much since the much touted Mining Boom. We've been told differently, but.. COME ON.!!

SOME commodities will always bring value.. and I'm NOT talking about Coal.
See ? If COAL, was the wellspring of this wealth.. don't you think this govt would paste it everywhere.? they'd BE SHOUTING IT FROM THE TOP OF HI-RISE APARTMENTS.!!

I would really LIKE TO KNOW, as a tax paying citizen, what the source of these Funds are.

From replies, you are all guessing. IS THIS ? what we expect from a democratic government. ?
I want to know where ALL THIS MONEY came from.

IF.. the economy has been doing so well, WHY aren't we told this.? We are told nothing. Get used to it, or else TRY something else.

LNP ? NO- GO AWAY LIARS.!!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 08 May 2018, 08:41

even the libs don't like this budget

ANU economics professor and former Liberal leader John Hewson — who famously lost the "unlosable" 1993 election to Paul Keating because of a GST and spending cut plan called "Fightback" — said the Turnbull Government was making the same mistakes as the Howard government in its latter years.

From the leaks he has seen, he has already labelled 2018 the "mother of all political budgets".

"I suspect there's a bit of a back payment of company tax, a pick-up in commodity prices and a fairly strong growth in employment over the last 12 months or so," Dr Hewson told RN Breakfast.

"Now I don't see on the basis of partial evidence that any of those things is going to be sustained.

"Now they're falling into the Howard-Costello trap of having unexpectedly strong revenue and committing it rather than putting it away for a rainy day."

'Vote-buying exercise' ahead of early election

Dr Hewson is not alone in his worries that the Government is planning to hand back a temporary revenue boom in permanent tax cuts, just as the Howard government did several times during the mining boom.

TD Securities economist Annette Beacher said Mr Morrison and Finance Minister Mathias Cormann had been very vocal in talking up a 23.9 per cent of GDP cap on revenue, but there had been "crashing silence" about having a similar cap on expenditure, which has been around 25-26 per cent of GDP for some time.

"Are we going to see wafer thin surpluses because the Turnbull Government seems to find itself not doing too well in the polls?" she asked rhetorically.

Dr Hewson's political instincts tell him that any "vote buying" is a matter of some urgency.

"The prospect of an early election this year I think is very real," he said.

"I see they've [the Liberal Party] cleared the deck for preselections to be settled by June, so I suspect that they could go as early as August/September this year."

Mr Hewson points to elections in the nation's two most populous states — Victoria in November and New South Wales in March 2019 — as making an early election attractive.

The Turnbull Government must go to the polls by May next year at the latest.

However, he believes tax cut largesse by both major parties may backfire as voters start looking for longer-term policies.

"I do think the electorate is tired of these short-term political games," he said.

"One-in-three didn't vote for either major party at the last election, there's a lot of disenchantment with politics, they don't really believe them at face value.

"So I think an honest assessment of where we sit, in today a very risky world both in economic and geopolitical terms, and what challenges we will meet over the next 10-15 years ... I think the electorate is looking for a realistic assessment."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-08/former-liberal-leader-decries-mother-of-all-political-budgets/9735838
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2018, 09:27

Because prices have not been good so even huge volumes don’t make huge profits.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 08 May 2018, 10:54

johnsmith wrote:

Oooooh, what program? I'll try to find it. Then it can be plastered all over Ozpol.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 08 May 2018, 11:15

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Oooooh, what program? I'll try to find it. Then it can be plastered all over Ozpol.

not sure what the programme was ... i was flicking through the channels and caught the tail end of it.

his spiel was something like 'if you vote labor the boats will come again, people smugglers are still trying, people are still drowning, but we need to vote lib to keep them out'
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby MilesAway » 12 May 2018, 17:11

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

not sure what the programme was ... i was flicking through the channels and caught the tail end of it.

his spiel was something like 'if you vote labor the boats will come again, people smugglers are still trying, people are still drowning, but we need to vote lib to keep them out'

Exactly, they know they are gone and are in furniture saving mode!

TO BE REMEMBERED FOR HAMSTRINGING YOUR NEIGHBOURS KIDS WITH A COPPER NOOSE IS EXACTLY THE SHAME EVERY SINGLE LIBERAL VOTER INT HSI COUNTRY IS THINKING RIGHT NOW AND THEY WANT TO SLAY THAT FEELING AS FAST AS THEY CAN BECAUSE DESPITE WHAT THEY SAY WITH THEIR FAKE MOUTH THEY ACTUALLY FEEL STUFF IN THE GUTS!

...and btw, you know you can't tell me I'm wrong: how many years have I been saying this for now? The kids will all read this for the next fifty years to come and wonder why their cunti-ass parents even bothered trying to f*** them up the a** :c :read :read :read :read :read :read :read :read :read :read :read :hot
MilesAway
Cheetah

Return to Politics