Time 100 list: Jacinda Ardern a 'political prodigy'

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Time 100 list: Jacinda Ardern a 'political prodigy'

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:24

CaesarAugustus wrote:
It is a biological fact that the mother has to go through more pain and stress throughout the process than the man does.

Are you telling me that whole process doesn't create a more intimate connection with the children for the mother than the father??

more 'intimate' .... no. It doesn't.

CaesarAugustus wrote:But it was tougher for her. It's always tougher for the mother.

she at least had the drugs on tap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

spamone: Animal

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:24

CA
Last edited by Auggie on 25 Apr 2018, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
I have officially declared war on OzPol and some of its members. Caesar is marching with his legions on Rome.

A new order must be established!
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:25

johnsmith wrote:she at least had the drugs on tap

Yeah but you had a banana.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 24 Apr 2018, 21:25

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
It is a biological fact that the mother has to go through more pain and stress throughout the process than the man does.

Are you telling me that whole process doesn't create a more intimate connection with the children for the mother than the father??

more 'intimate' .... no. It doesn't.

CaesarAugustus wrote:But it was tougher for her. It's always tougher for the mother.

she at least had the drugs on tap

Fair enough.

I've never experienced it, nor do I intend it, so I'll have to take your word for it.
I have officially declared war on OzPol and some of its members. Caesar is marching with his legions on Rome.

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:26

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote: Did you not have to go through the pain of giving birth?

it was terrible .... i was kept awake all night, i got told off for being considerate enough to offer her a banana, then I got told off again for daring to eat said banana after she refused. Then I got told off again for snoozing on my nice new electric leather recliner .... I wasn't even allowed to suck on the tube with the drugs.

it's tough being a dad during childbirth

:clap :clap :clap

Did you at least do what my dad did and made sure the car was parked on a hill?

Very important.

What was with the banana? Men do some bonkers stuff through labour but offering a banana to her is a new one. First or second?

She packed bananas in her birthing bag in case she wanted a snack ... it was 1am and I'd missed dinner. I was hungry and thought she might be too .... for some reason she had other things on her mind.

She packed the banans then I get in trouble for offering them to her. ..... women :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:27

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote: given that he didn't have to do anything prior to the birth.

I'm not going to pretend I went through what my wife went through, but I got every single symptom of childbirth that my wife got. From high blood pressure, bloated belly, sore back, even the fucken hemmeroids. EVERYTHING.

Why doesn't that surprise me? :bgrin

I didn't even know it was possible until i went through it. :WTF :WTF :WTF
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:29

johnsmith wrote:
She packed bananas in her birthing bag in case she wanted a snack ... it was 1am and I'd missed dinner. I was hungry and thought she might be too .... for some reason she had other things on her mind.

She packed the banans then I get in trouble for offering them to her. ..... women :grn

I've just got this image of you standing there, uselessly holding out a banana. I have actual tears ... :rofl
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:33

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote: given that he didn't have to do anything prior to the birth.

I'm not going to pretend I went through what my wife went through, but I got every single symptom of childbirth that my wife got. From high blood pressure, bloated belly, sore back, even the fucken hemmeroids. EVERYTHING.

Both times?
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:37

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I've just got this image of you standing there, uselessly holding out a banana. I have actual tears ... :rofl

that image is pretty much correct. I held it out to her while she was on the bed .... she nearly threw it back at me except I was to quick (the drugs slowed her down)

and every now and then, when she remembers, she still to this day tells me off for it. :b :b :b
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:38

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Both times?

no, only the first.

The second child was a breeze .... at least for me. (it was pretty easy on her too).
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:40

johnsmith wrote:

that image is pretty much correct. I held it out to her while she was on the bed .... she nearly threw it back at me except I was to quick (the drugs slowed her down)

and every now and then, when she remembers, she still to this day tells me off for it. :b :b :b

Get this printed on a t-shirt. Might work instead of the neck thing:

mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 24 Apr 2018, 21:42

johnsmith wrote:
no, only the first.

The second child was a breeze .... at least for me. (it was pretty easy on her too).

I was the other way round. I was turning cartwheels at 9mths with my first. Second i spent much of in hospital.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:43

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Get this printed on a t-shirt. Might work instead of the neck thing:

:clap :clap :clap :clap

I love it

I've got a wedding anniversary coming up next month .... I'm going to get that printed for her

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby johnsmith » 24 Apr 2018, 21:45

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
no, only the first.

I was the other way round. I was turning cartwheels at 9mths with my first. Second i spent much of in hospital.

My sister had severe morning sickness for the full term of both her pregnancies .... I've never seen anything like it ... she's just think of food and be off running .....
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 00:02

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
no, only the first.

My sister had severe morning sickness for the full term of both her pregnancies .... I've never seen anything like it ... she's just think of food and be off running .....

I had it bad with number 1; for the first 5 months i threw up water. My mum was still chucking in labour with all of us.

I can remember almost leaving my guy because he had the nerve to fry onions in the house with my first. Smells just made me heave.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 25 Apr 2018, 00:59

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:It'll be interesting to see how she juggles both of these priorities. I'd imagine it would be very hard to be PM and to raise newly-born infant, but she seems more than capable. We'll have to see.

Yes. Because we always ask this about fathers don't we.

We don’t ask it about fathers because traditionally men are required to shut up and put up within men themselves. It considered unmasculine to complain about ‘providing for the family’ or to even ask if he is all right or can cope.

I think in the case of women there’s no such expectation to shut up and put up when it comes to work/family balance.

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 25 Apr 2018, 01:17

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:Do fathers breast-feed?

these days women can pump breast milk into a bottle which the father feeds to the baby at a later time.

i have great memories of feeding my oldest ... although at the time I usually complained because I always got the 4am duty. Now I miss doing it.

Yes, and the time it takes for the woman to do it, and the effort she has to exert.

You're overestimating the effort and time ... but regardless, if she wants to, what's it to you?

If she wants to she can. I have no issue with it.

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 01:27

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:It'll be interesting to see how she juggles both of these priorities. I'd imagine it would be very hard to be PM and to raise newly-born infant, but she seems more than capable. We'll have to see.

We don’t ask it about fathers because traditionally men are required to shut up and put up within men themselves. It considered unmasculine to complain about ‘providing for the family’ or to even ask if he is all right or can cope.

I think in the case of women there’s no such expectation to shut up and put up when it comes to work/family balance.

Yes. But that is changing, as we discussed a page back.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 01:29

CaesarAugustus wrote:If she wants to she can. I have no issue with it.

Except it was your only reaction to her being named one of Time's most influential people.

And as such, the entire discussion has been about parenthood and not her personal achievements.

Telling, no?
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 25 Apr 2018, 10:18

mothra wrote:

Except it was your only reaction to her being named one of Time's most influential people.

And as such, the entire discussion has been about parenthood and not her personal achievements.

Telling, no?

What are her personal achievements? She’s just become PM.

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Auggie » 25 Apr 2018, 10:20

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:

So is it our attitude toward women or attitude toward men?

Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby Dax » 25 Apr 2018, 10:49

mothra wrote:

Telling, no?

She's not an influential person, just flavour if the day and will be revealed as just as brain dead as every other politician, some time soon. If it weren't so serious, you;d get a good laugh of how ideologues throw up someone to give the impression they have their finger on the pulse of society and will fix it.

The truth is, she's just another woman who the feminazi wankers and ideological hacks have out up on a pedestal, hoping they have found an answer. Thing is, they haven't found an answer in her, just another delusion and, no more intelligent than the women and blokes around her.
Dax
Feral cat

Postby MilesAway » 25 Apr 2018, 12:16

CaesarAugustus wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:Do fathers breast-feed?

these days women can pump breast milk into a bottle which the father feeds to the baby at a later time.

i have great memories of feeding my oldest ... although at the time I usually complained because I always got the 4am duty. Now I miss doing it.

Yes, and the time it takes for the woman to do it, and the effort she has to exert.

I don't have an issue with her being PM. The fact is that being PM is not like any other run-of-the-mill job. I don't understand how she could run a country whilst raising a infant. If the child was 2 or 3 that's different, but the first year is crucial. Even if she had a full-time job working in an office, it would be perfectly all right.

But, being PM and running a country is quite a different thing. This has nothing to do with 'women and their careers'.

What? Is she going to have to breast-feed in Cabinet meetings?

It's her choice!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 25 Apr 2018, 12:33

CaesarAugustus wrote:What are her personal achievements? She’s just become PM.

becoming PM
being announced as one of time magazines 'most influential person' list

two huge achievements more than most people

instead we're discussing how neglected her baby must be :roll :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 25 Apr 2018, 12:55

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:

So is it our attitude toward women or attitude toward men?

Both.
mothra
Duck

PreviousNext

Return to Politics