Death of 2,400 Australian sheep on ship to Middle East

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Death of 2,400 Australian sheep on ship to Middle East

Postby mothra » 05 Apr 2018, 22:13

Death of 2,400 Australian sheep on ship to Middle East sparks investigation
Minister says company’s practices to be examined after livestock exported from Perth die from heat

The Australian agriculture minister, David Littleproud, has launched an urgent investigation in the department of agriculture over livestock deaths on a live export ship, saying conditions on the ship were “bullshit.”

About 2,400 sheep died on an Emanuel Exports ship from Fremantle to the Middle East in August 2017, mostly from heat stress. A whistleblower filmed conditions on the ship and provided the footage to Animals Australia, which showed it to Littleproud on Wednesday.

He said the footage showed dead and decaying sheep.

“I saw footage provided to me by Animals Australia, which is very disturbing,” Littleproud said. “I am shocked and gutted.

“This is the livelihood of Australian farmers that are on that ship ... This is their pride and joy and this is total bullshit that what I saw has taken place.”

The ship left Fremantle on 1 August carrying 63,804 sheep bound for Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. It was subject to the standard investigation by the federal environment department because the number of sheep killed by heat stress pushed the mortality rate to 3.76%.

All live export shipments with mortality rates of more than 2% are subject to review.

Littleproud said he had already demanded an explanation from the department after receiving the report into this incident on 29 March, before being made aware of the Animals Australia footage.

“There was an unacceptable fatality rate because of a heat event,” he said. “I asked for further information. I also wrote to the live export industry.”

In a statement on Thursday, Littleproud said he had an urgent meeting with the department since viewing the footage and thanked Animals Australia – an organisation that has previously been in conflict with federal agriculture ministers – for sharing the footage.

“I’m shocked and deeply disturbed by the vision,” the statement said. “I thank Animals Australia for bringing this to my attention.

“We need to create an environment where groups, whistleblowers and individuals are comfortable and confident coming forward so we can nail those who do the wrong thing.”

It is not the first time Emanuel has suffered a mass mortality event due to heat stress on one of its live export ship, which is a converted car carrier.

While the shipment detailed in this incident was on route last year, the Perth-based exporters were warned of possible prosecution over a shipment in July 2016 on which 3,027 of the 69,322 sheep onboard died, leaving a mortality rate of 4.36%.

A report on that shipment said there were so many dead sheep that it was difficult to manage the bodies.

According to the department’s mortality investigation into the August 2017 shipment, temperatures in the gulf reached 36C with 95% humidity overnight, noting that under those conditions “large number of animals will start to die.”

It said that Emanuel rostered on extra crew to “undertake additional housekeeping” and keep water troughs full. They also opened “excessively boggy pens and those in hotter areas” to allow sheep to spread into the alleyways.

“These actions however, were insufficient to prevent the reportable mortality incident,” it said.

The department said it required Emanuel to follow a heat stress management plan for their next shipment, which took place in September and had a mortality rate of 0.52%.

The department said in 2017 that it would review its heat stress policies in time for the 2018 Middle Eastern summer.

Littleproud said he had demanded an update of that review.

“I will not be afraid to call out and take strong action against those who have not fulfilled their responsibilities, whether they be the exporter, the regulator or staff on ships,” he said. “I support the farmers who rely on live export and the exporters who do the right thing … Farmers care for their animals and they’ll be angry and hurt when they see this footage.”

Animals Australia said they had contacted Littleproud on behalf of the whistleblower, who had provided the footage to 60 Minutes.

“This announcement by the minister speaks to the seriousness of this situation and the strength of the evidence provided to the Government,” a spokeswoman for Animals Australia said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/05/disgusting-death-of-2900-australian-sheep-on-ship-to-middle-east-sparks-investigation?CMP=soc_567
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Death of 2,400 Australian sheep on ship to Middle East

Postby pinkeye » 06 Apr 2018, 00:01

There has been so much attention, AT LAST. There are long-running petitions to stop this horrendous policy, but the government, especially the LNP, LOVE IT.

Big bucks for the top-end farmers. Makes me want to puke. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Apr 2018, 02:00

Live export is disgusting and inhumane!

If followers of Islam must have animals killed a certain way to fit in with their superstition then do it in Australia. This is not the first time large numbers of animals have died. The poor bloody sheep are breathing almost pure ammonia from their droppings by the end of the trip!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 06 Apr 2018, 12:00

Life exports, are purely to make quick profits with no outlay and they cost the economy billions each year.

If we banned live exports and only sold meat processed in Aus our way, there would be an overseas and vested interest uproar. But it would provide us with more jobs, more national income and more taxes. If islamic countries want meat, they would have to have our processed value added meats, or nothing.

If muslims or jews don't want it, there are many more markets available. We should also ban their killing practises in Aus and all other religious food branding and claims.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2018, 12:54

Dax wrote:Life exports, are purely to make quick profits with no outlay and they cost the economy billions each year.

If we banned live exports and only sold meat processed in Aus our way, there would be an overseas and vested interest uproar. But it would provide us with more jobs, more national income and more taxes. If islamic countries want meat, they would have to have our processed value added meats, or nothing.

If muslims or jews don't want it, there are many more markets available. We should also ban their killing practises in Aus and all other religious food branding and claims.

we could say that about most of our mineral exports, steel, etc .....
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Dax » 06 Apr 2018, 13:39

johnsmith wrote: we could say that about most of our mineral exports, steel, etc .....

Sure could and that's the way it should be, only export fully value added products and no raw materials at all. That would solve all our economic and balance of payments problems, Now we export stuff dirt cheap, the buy it back at expensive cost to our economy. All our money goes overseas, we have imbeciles running the show and giving everything away to just a few billionaires, who should be in jail for defrauding the commonwealth.

The money overseas morons get from our resources, allows them to come into our country and take over our industry, farms services and infrastructure. No logic or rationale in that approach to the future.
Dax
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 06 Apr 2018, 13:58

Dax wrote:Sure could and that's the way it should be, only export fully value added products and no raw materials at all. That would solve all our economic and balance of payments problems, Now we export stuff dirt cheap, the buy it back at expensive cost to our economy. All our money goes overseas, we have imbeciles running the show and giving everything away to just a few billionaires, who should be in jail for defrauding the commonwealth.

I recall when I was younger, Rex Conner Jnr (son of Whitlams energy and minerals minister) used to come over to my place frequently. He eventually started his own party (Advance Australia Party) and one of his main policies was just that. He believed that govt. should help set up businesses that value add to our raw materials and then we export the finished product rather than the raw materials. Once the company was up and running at a profit, we could sell it to private industry. His argument was that it was to difficult and risky for private enterprise to try in many industries so govt. should help. The example he used to use most often was cow hides. He couldn't understand why we were selling cowhides to Italy for $5 a hide, and buying them back at $500 a jacket.

It made sense to me but everyone wrote him off as a kook. He never had much success politically after he left the labor party.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Return to Politics