Australia leads on extinction rate: report

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Postby mothra » 12 Mar 2018, 19:57

Australia has lost more mammals to extinction than any other country with a new report urging the federal government to take action on the crisis.
The Australian Conservation Foundation report published in March found since colonisation 29 mammals had become extinct and were lost forever in Australia, compared to just one in the United States.

"For all its natural beauty, the sad reality is that Australia leads the world on extinction," the report said.
Many of the extinctions have happened recently with Australia losing three vertebrates - a bat, a marsupial and a skink - since 2009, the report says.

The foundation blames the federal government's failure to protect critical habitats.
Critical habitats relate to protecting and preserving the habitats of threatened species but despite there being more than 1700 threatened species and ecological communities across the country, the government has only identified five critical habitats.

ACF healthy ecosystems campaigner Jess Abrahams said it was "ridiculous" no critical habitat had been listed on the register for any species since 2005.

"Our current law provides patently inadequate protection to prevent the destruction of critical habitat," Ms Abrahams said in a statement last week.
"Without proper protections, beloved species like the leadbeater's possum could well be extinct within a few years. If we're going to protect our native species we must fix these laws and we must do it now."

The report warns that if the government continues to fail to protect critical habitats, Australia will fail to meet its international obligations to conserve nature.

The foundation's report makes several recommendations including the establishment of new national environmental laws, a new national critical habitat register and the establishment of an independent environmental agency.

It's also called on the government to create a $200 million annual threatened species fund to directly help with recovery plans for threatened species.
Federal environment minister Josh Frydenberg has been contacted for comment.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/australia-leads-on-extinction-rate-report-20180311-p4z3vn.html
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Australia leads on extinction rate: report

Postby pinkeye » 13 Mar 2018, 00:46

This speaks to the ethical balance our nation fails to keep, between the natural world, and the human demand. .

Profit via development is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT to all tiers of Government than environmental protection. They LIE through their teeth. Backhanded payments, donations for favour.. Australia is rife with corruption ..political corruption, which favours the farmers who cleared record hectares of the land during the Campbell Newman Govt in QLD, surely the WORST STATE GOVT in recent memory (since Joh, in any State.). For ONE EXAMPLE. The stealing of water from the Murray -Darling system, by farmers upstream in QLD and NSW. Another example. The loud proclamation by govt that we need coal. Another.
Humans must learn to live within the needs of the environment. We'll DIE, just like all those before us, if we don't.!

I despair everytime I hear the spin from Council and government. They spend heaps convincing us they care for the environment. I'd much rather they didn't waste the money so, but put it back into the environment.

But we have continuing new cities being developed in areas with no infrastructure but 2nd grade roads, and incalculable wildlife destruction. CLEARLY governments cannot be trusted to care for the Country. They only care about economics and growth and wealth, little realising, it seems, that none of this means a thing, if we have nowhere viable to live.

Our record in Australia is abysmal.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 13 Mar 2018, 07:28

Well said Pink.

Now to do whatn we little folk can do ... sign petitions ... lobby ... and all that.

https://leadbeaters.org.au/
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2018, 08:08

And I take on fraudsters like Dubyne and some of the frauds that supply him material—see yesterdays entry in the Booby thread in Sand Pit. Completely demolished the so–called scientific paper saying convection was cooling the atmosphere and did it just using high school physics!

I followed that fraud AND followed Dubyne and I have been having a lovely Twitter war, as always I remain polite while the other side descends quickly to insults and ad homs. As always, I am not trying to change the minds of the morons BELIEVING, WANTING an ice age (and the chance to be the big man) just warming those who stumble on the channel and might believe or are frightened by the ice age nonsense.

I also keep hammering “A Grand Solar Minimum would bring temporary cooling of 0.3°C” a lot, might get through to one or two.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Mar 2018, 00:26

HBS Guy wrote:And I take on fraudsters like Dubyne and some of the frauds that supply him material—see yesterdays entry in the Booby thread in Sand Pit. Completely demolished the so–called scientific paper saying convection was cooling the atmosphere and did it just using high school physics!

I followed that fraud AND followed Dubyne and I have been having a lovely Twitter war, as always I remain polite while the other side descends quickly to insults and ad homs. As always, I am not trying to change the minds of the morons BELIEVING, WANTING an ice age (and the chance to be the big man) just warming those who stumble on the channel and might believe or are frightened by the ice age nonsense.

I also keep hammering “A Grand Solar Minimum would bring temporary cooling of 0.3°C” a lot, might get through to one or two.

The fact that The Arctic, in the middle of winter, is WARMER than the European And North American continents is just another climate anomaly. :bgrin Due to AGW.

If the Arctic WAS COLDER than those continents I might think a mini-ice age was possible. BUT this isn't the case. Climate change will continue to amaze and alarm people. Animals will DIE. Look to the canary's of the world, and understand, we are rapidly sliding down the slippery slope. No pitons or life-lines in sight.
The Abyss looms.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Mar 2018, 08:11

And some are saying that is a lie.

A ship attempting to reach the biggest iceberg got stuck in ice. Dubyne will put that in a vid and claim the water is freezing—it is fairly obviously a glacier reaching the sea and floating on it but Dubyne won’t say that!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Mar 2018, 01:56

HBS Guy wrote:And some are saying that is a lie.

A ship attempting to reach the biggest iceberg got stuck in ice. Dubyne will put that in a vid and claim the water is freezing—it is fairly obviously a glacier reaching the sea and floating on it but Dubyne won’t say that!

SO anyway, we ALL KNOW that habitat destruction in Australia is directly due to the influx of Europeans 200 years ago. That is simplistic, but it IS TRUE.
That WE have driven this massive loss says all we need to know about what a fucking plague humans are on the Earth. We FOUL our own nests wherever we go.

And fuck all you jobs, growth, economic needs arseholes. Primarily, we NEED our mother EARTH to function properly. The fact that WE have unbalanced this incredibly complex interplay of ecologies so badly, that we risk our own destruction is just fucking pathetic.

But I guess I'm ranting away to no good purpose, except a vent. Thanks for that.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Mar 2018, 05:18

Not helped by massive land clearing. Also AGW that would affect animals even if Australia had not been settled.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 Mar 2018, 02:37

HBS Guy wrote:Not helped by massive land clearing. Also AGW that would affect animals even if Australia had not been settled.

I live in idyllic bush surroundings. BUT the creek at my lower boundary is now sludge, because just a few 100 metre upstream, we have a massive new city.
40 000 people are supposed to move there, in a 'MasterPlanned' city. MY GOD. :sad
Only one road in and out, and a couple other single lane country roads to take the drones to their factories. The traffic is chaos, the people aren't happy, despite the spin. Would YOU like a house that has so little land around it, you could spit into your neighbours window, if there weren't a cheap wooden fence in the way? These are ghettos, and the LAND..! !! totally wiped clear, and massaged and formed into littles terraces where separate houses are crammed, cheek by jowl. To date there is around what 5000 people living there. They now have a school, and a Coles . A parkland, made of concrete and family style equipment. !!

THE CRIME THERE is so bad, the next thing they'll get is a POLICE STATION.

And the wildlife??? What ?? what .. umm too bad for them.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 16 Mar 2018, 11:58

pinkeye wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Not helped by massive land clearing. Also AGW that would affect animals even if Australia had not been settled.

I live in idyllic bush surroundings. BUT the creek at my lower boundary is now sludge, because just a few 100 metre upstream, we have a massive new city.
40 000 people are supposed to move there, in a 'MasterPlanned' city. MY GOD. :sad
Only one road in and out, and a couple other single lane country roads to take the drones to their factories. The traffic is chaos, the people aren't happy, despite the spin. Would YOU like a house that has so little land around it, you could spit into your neighbours window, if there weren't a cheap wooden fence in the way? These are ghettos, and the LAND..! !! totally wiped clear, and massaged and formed into littles terraces where separate houses are crammed, cheek by jowl. To date there is around what 5000 people living there. They now have a school, and a Coles . A parkland, made of concrete and family style equipment. !!

It's the same where i live. Houses just pop up like weeds.

And the scrub near where i live is the last remnant of bushland that once spanned half of the state ... now restricted to a few measly hectares. There is an endangered lichen in there, unique botanical associations and a vital wetlands .. but that doesn't stop them.

And the echidnas don't move fast enough to get out of the way of the bulldozers so you just see there little bodies all about.

Then they name their fucking roads full of ticky tacky houses after the wildlife they decimate to build them. It's just insult on injury.
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 16 Mar 2018, 12:36

mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

And the scrub near where i live is the last remnant of bushland that once spanned half of the state ... now restricted to a few measly hectares. There is an endangered lichen in there, unique botanical associations and a vital wetlands .. but that doesn't stop them.

And the echidnas don't move fast enough to get out of the way of the bulldozers so you just see there little bodies all about.

Then they name their fucking roads full of ticky tacky houses after the wildlife they decimate to build them. It's just insult on injury.

So, what are your thoughts on our population levels, another 3 million by 2020? That's a lot of dead koala bears ;)
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 16 Mar 2018, 12:38

Gordy wrote:
mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

So, what are your thoughts on our population levels, another 3 million by 2020? That's a lot of dead koala bears ;)

If you want a serious reply from me, don't finish your sentences with an insincere and condescending little smile.
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 16 Mar 2018, 12:42

mothra wrote:
Gordy wrote:
mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

If you want a serious reply from me, don't finish your sentences with an insincere and condescending little smile.

Why do you always try to see the worst in me? The smile was for me adding 'bear' after koalas, which a lot of 'New Australians' call them, and they're the people who feuling the construction of the ticky tacky houses on the city fringe .

Anyway, move on, lets discuss this sensibly.
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby mothra » 16 Mar 2018, 12:51

Gordy wrote:
Why do you always try to see the worst in me? The smile was for me adding 'bear' after koalas, which a lot of 'New Australians' call them, and they're the people who feuling the construction of the ticky tacky houses on the city fringe .

I don;t try. I see you clearly. I firmly believe you are truly a horrible person. And i've noticesd that you always smile when you are insulting.

As to population growth; not a fan ... but neither am i a fan of children getting bombed or burnt alive.

Would you like to guess at which one i like least? Especially considering that if we are equitable, clever and cautious, we can manage the first thing without destroying pristine habitat or depleting all of our resources?
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 16 Mar 2018, 13:01

mothra wrote:
Gordy wrote:

I don;t try. I see you clearly. I firmly believe you are truly a horrible person. And i've noticesd that you always smile when you are insulting.

As to population growth; not a fan ... but neither am i a fan of children getting bombed or burnt alive.

Would you like to guess at which one i like least? Especially considering that if we are equitable, clever and cautious, we can manage the first thing without destroying pristine habitat or depleting all of our resources?

Maybe I am, maybe not, but your confirmation bias sees things where often none exists, maybe thats for another time. Lets stay on-topic.

Our population isn't being fueled by children getting bombed and burned alive. It's being fueled by people from Beijing, Delhi coming here, 1000 per day on various visas.

And no it can't be done cleverly and cautiously because once you take off your rose coloured glasses the reality of economics kick in.

People = problems. Lots of people = lots of problems.
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby pinkeye » 18 Mar 2018, 03:57

mothra wrote:
pinkeye wrote:

I don't HATE.. as a general rule. However there ARE extraordinary circumstances.

I HATE the massive landclearing happening in Queensland. The insistence on cramming people onto tiny formed terraces, tiny hankies of land. I HATE IT because it is stupid. Really really stupid.
I could say a whole lot more but it is fucking later than I thought.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 18 Mar 2018, 11:03

pinkeye wrote:I HATE the massive landclearing happening in Queensland. The insistence on cramming people onto tiny formed terraces, tiny hankies of land. I HATE IT because it is stupid. Really really stupid.

the problem is that you've gotta put people somewhereto live. Cities are overcrowded and overpriced already. We have no choice but to expand the suburbs .
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 19 Mar 2018, 01:31

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I HATE the massive landclearing happening in Queensland. The insistence on cramming people onto tiny formed terraces, tiny hankies of land. I HATE IT because it is stupid. Really really stupid.

the problem is that you've gotta put people somewhereto live. Cities are overcrowded and overpriced already. We have no choice but to expand the suburbs .[/quote

As you say.
unfortunately.

But these perverse developments aren't going to solve the problems that come with too many people.
The resources of the planet are finite.

I see no human-inspired solution. I KNOW the Earth will sort us out, eventually, but we won't leave this earth as we found it. :sad :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Return to Politics