Australia built a hell for refugees on Manus.

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Australia built a hell for refugees on Manus.

Postby mothra » 10 Mar 2018, 16:52

Australia built a hell for refugees on Manus. The shame will outlive us all

My country is now known as the inventor of a vile form of repression. Instead of thanking a refugee reporter for alerting us to what was happening, we enabled his imprisonment

So this is what we have come to as a nation.

The wretched of the earth, because they were no longer safe where they lived, sought to come here. With a determined cruelty, we kidnapped and imprisoned them in Pacific lagers. These lagers became synonymous with the idea of hellholes because it was important to our government that they be – ­and be known as – hellholes.

On this policy of deterrence, as it was called, which had as its declared purpose to make innocent human beings suffer indefinitely, we spent billions of dollars. To this end we had truck with vile regimes such as Sri Lanka’s. And to this end we began forsaking our democratic rights.

In the camps the refugees were made to answer to numbers given to them as their new identity. Denied their names they were not even allowed their stories. Every attempt that could be made was made by the Australian government, from the petty to the disturbing, to deny journalists access to the Pacific lager. When it came to imprisoned refugees free speech became a crime: for some years any doctor, nurse or social worker in the camps who publicly reported on the many instances, now well-documented, of rape, murder, suicide and sexual abuse of refugees was liable to two years’ imprisonment.

And why?

Because evil was being done to the innocent, and to that truth there is finally no justification that even the most powerful could make. And so it mattered that Australians not know of the mounting crimes for which all Australians will be finally accountable.

All this too was done in our name by our governments, of both left and right. And, more or less, if we didn’t tacitly agree, few of us disagreed enough. And perhaps we didn’t really want to know.

Once we Australians had led the world in democratic reform. Once it seemed possible that we might overcome the violence of our wars of invasion and reconcile with our Indigenous brothers and sisters. Once it seemed that we might make of ourselves a beacon for freedom and tolerance, a country of many peoples that welcomed the newly dispossessed as we had in turn once been welcomed. We were a nation born out of the evils of invasion and convictism. It was not that we saw ourselves as infinitely perfectible. It was rather that we were aware of what the alternatives were.

Now we are seen globally as the inventors of a particularly vile form of 21st century repression, in which the innocent are subjected to suffering in a prison where the crime is never named, no sentence is ever passed, and punishment is assured. For this achievement Australia now enjoys the praise of European neo-fascists and American white supremacists.

Some praise. Some achievement.

It is hard to say what is most horrifying in this long saga but the intent of the Australian government to now abandon the refugees it kidnapped, scattering them across an impoverished and corrupt country with a notorious reputation for violence, is an affront to any notions of humanity or decency.

When, out of fear for what might befall them should they leave, some hundreds of refugees refused to move from the Manus compound, there began a protest in which the refugees used the only thing left to them: their bodies.

Over the years we had taken away their rights, their future, even their hope. Three weeks ago we cut off their water, food and medical supplies. Risking starvation, dysentery, cholera and violence, some hundreds of refugees asserted with their flesh the one thing which Australia could not steal: their human dignity.

On Wednesday the UNHCR described what was now unfolding on Manus as a humanitarian crisis that was entirely preventable and a “damning indictment of a policy meant to avoid Australia’s international obligations”.

On Thursday 12 Australians of the Year signed an open letter calling on the government to restore water, food supplies, electricity and medical services to the refugees, warning it was a “human disaster that was unfolding” and that “it was inevitable that people will become sick and die”.

Instead of this moderate course of action, on the same day police in Papua New Guinea began clearing the Manus compound. According to witnesses, refugees were beaten with sticks to forcibly relocate the remaining hundreds of protesting men. This violence against the most powerless and weak was supported and promoted by the Australian government, as it has previously supported and sanctioned the poisoning of the refugees’ water collected in from sumps and rainwater, the destruction of the few pieces of property they possess, and the destruction of their scant remaining food and medicine supplies.

And then there came the news the Iranian journalist and refugee Behrouz Boochani had been taken away by PNG’s much-feared mobile squad, a notorious paramilitary police unit which, according to a report in the Age in 2013, is “allegedly responsible for rapes, murders and other serious human rights abuses” and funded by Australia’s immigration department “to secure the Manus Island detention centre”.

Behrouz Boochani was targeted for one reason and one reason only: he has been the voice of truth speaking from the appalling reality of the Pacific lagers.

It is difficult to believe that all this is not being masterminded – if the word is not too grand for such thuggery – at the highest levels of the Australian government.

Released some hours later, Boochani tweeted that he had been left handcuffed for two hours while he was “pushed several times”, had his belongings destroyed by the police, and was yelled at by the police commander that he “was reporting against us”. Boochani knows now, more than ever, that he is a marked man

And in these circumstances he has, in characteristic fashion, continued to report.

His courage over the four years of his internment in the face of the horror of Manus – a hell of repression, cruelty, and violence – has been of the highest order. Behrouz Boochani kept on smuggling out his messages of despair in the hope we would listen.

It’s time we did.

All states commit criminal and sometimes wicked acts. The necessary mark of a democracy is the freedom to tell the truth about these crimes so that they can be ended and the guilty punished.

To be a writer is not to simply believe in freedom but to practise it every day with your words. Each word allows us to find ourselves in others, and in others to know we are not alone.

In the vacuum of reportage that the Australian government created one man kept getting the truth out. Behrouz Boochani’s words found me as they found so many others.

Now I hope mine find him.

We choose whether we live or whether we wait for death. Through his words Behrouz chose to live. His words showed that while our government had jailed his body, his soul remained that of a free man.

I am not sure if I would have had his courage were I to find myself in his situation. Perhaps that is why I admire it deeply.

Behrouz Boochani reminded Australia of what it had become. We should thank him and honour him for his warnings of what was happening to our country. Instead we enabled his imprisonment, and who can say what this marked man’s fate may yet be?

His detainment yesterday highlights the moral bankruptcy of the Pacific solution, its essentially criminal nature, and the growing dangers it presents to our democracy.

The shame of this time will outlive us all. Our children and grandchildren will have to remake the broken trusts, the sacred freedoms, the necessary liberties, that we traded away in our ignorance and our gullible fear. They must rekindle as necessary national virtues kindness and compassion to the weakest.

But we must begin the work now, with urgency, with determination, of rebuilding our nation’s honour, and our collective dignity. Because if we don’t, if we think it doesn’t affect us, the alternative is that what is happening on Manus will begin to happen here.

At the time of writing, Manus remains in crisis, with 300 refugees still in the compound. Who knows what fresh onslaught of violence is awaiting them? While outside wait the paramilitary thugs, inside the refugees search in the darkness for drinkable water, they scrounge for what little food was not destroyed, these 300 men who now face the determination of our government that they vanish from the face of the earth, and with them their terrible story that shames us all.

But that story demands investigation, not obliteration.

There must be a royal commission into the Pacific camps, the grotesque amounts of money wasted on them, the lies, the deceit and undemocratic practices used to ensure their ongoing existence, to determine the extent of Australian involvement in the PNG police’s latest acts, and to ascertain and if necessary prosecute those responsible for the many well-documented cases of the abuses of human rights on both Manus and Nauru.

If we can muster no feeling for the starving, sick and thirsty refugees waiting in the ruins of their prison for the next attack, spare a thought for what our future might look like if Peter Dutton begins persecuting journalists here with his newly acquired secret police powers. We should not forget the plans in 2015 for Dutton’s newly militarised Border Force officials to patrol Melbourne streets checking people’s papers, abandoned only in the face of overwhelming public anger.

Behrouz Boochani may be the first journalist to be detained for revealing the evil of our Pacific gulags. But how can we be confident he will be the last, and who knows what new government folly will need a repressive cloak of secrecy to safeguard its many failings?

In Boochani’s writings is a spirit Australia has lost: brave, honest, generous and free. Once he wanted to come here. Now we need him and all that he stands for more than ever.

And if, in these next few days, any harm should come to Behrouz Boochani, for whose safety many now fear, the responsibility for that crime will not fall to the PNG government or its police. It will be Peter Dutton’s.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/24/the-shame-of-the-evil-being-done-on-manus-will-outlive-us-all?CMP=share_btn_tw
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Australia built a hell for refugees on Manus.

Postby johnsmith » 10 Mar 2018, 17:03

disgraceful the treatment of these refugees
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Mar 2018, 18:13

We have to have an election NOW to get rid of this shambles of a government dragging our name in the mud!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 10 Mar 2018, 19:14

HBS Guy wrote:We have to have an election NOW to get rid of this shambles of a government dragging our name in the mud!

I don't think anything will change now whoever is in govt.
Labor got dragged through the crapper after changing libs refugee policy the last time around, and they won't want a repeat
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Mar 2018, 19:51

They will keep boat turnbacks and if they do that can bring the refugees in the hell holes here.

Say they are cutting temporary skilled worker (457 etc) visas and get away with it alright.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Mar 2018, 22:27

I reply to mothra.

Thank you mothra for your post.

IT REALLY SAYS EVERYTHING THAT NEEDS SAYING.
The only thing I've heard recently is the NZ PM renewing her offer. This time to take ALL the remaining refugees.

What happened to the Australia I knew as a child of 13, coming here with my guardians>??
I don't recognise this Australia as the one I decided to become a citizen of.

And I say AGAIN , the rise of Peter Dutton is the saddest indictment yet of our politicians. It seems they like keeping refugees in hellholes. Makes them look tough to the world. :WTF :mad :emb :sad

I fear Australia is NO MORE. We are just puppets, exiating in name only.. The PM grovelling to the Trump administration. Toad.

I despise the way the Liberal National government crows about it's success on the REFUGEE ISSUE. Refugees? What? they don't exist.!!
We'll just lock'm up and lie our heads off to our constituents.

No. There will be a reckoning. There always is, eventually. Australia, along with all our failing indica, ( except economic!! ) will join the 2nd world. Shame shame shame.

The rich get richer and the poor get fucked over.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Vulcan » 11 Mar 2018, 13:39

Australia - goes in and gets 'REFUGEES' out of Rwanda & Kosovo during genocidal conflicts.

Australia refuses entry to ILLEGALLY ENTERING peoples and shoves them on Manus.

So you tell me who the 'real' refugees are and how bad our nation really is?
Where you get off calling over-populating ILLEGALS as Refugees is beyond me :roll

How about I just jump the fence and walk into your house via the back door or bathroom window because I no longer have room to live at my own house (impregnated my 5 wives with 43 kids) and just help myself to your computer and fridge :hlo

While in Construction in Sydney, heaps of these 'Illegals' worked as Labourers
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Mar 2018, 14:00

There is NOTHING illegal about seeking asylum. Even an irregular entry (boats) is not illegal. Really, get this FALSE idea about “illegals” out of your head. We DID sign up to the UN convention on refugees.

Added to that, 90% are found to be genuine refugees.

In addition, ASs are now flying in on dodgy temporary skilled labor visas and disappearing and overstaying. All this chest beating about boats is bullshit!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mothra » 11 Mar 2018, 14:21

HBS Guy wrote:There is NOTHING illegal about seeking asylum. Even an irregular entry (boats) is not illegal. Really, get this FALSE idea about “illegals” out of your head. We DID sign up to the UN convention on refugees.

Added to that, 90% are found to be genuine refugees.

In addition, ASs are now flying in on dodgy temporary skilled labor visas and disappearing and overstaying. All this chest beating about boats is bullshit!

Exactly. Well said, Monk.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Mar 2018, 14:54

I don’t like stupidity. Calling ASs “illegals” is wrong and is lazy because the real facts can be so easily determined.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Vulcan » 11 Mar 2018, 22:24

I wanted to finish my post but had to run off suddenly.

...illegals working as Labourers and all are 'drug dealers' on the side. All lazy dodgy workers who negate taking any responsibility duties, etc. Yet jump at the chance for another pay-rise by the Unions. Some even jumped the gun of being victimised by Foremen because of Race, Culture and whatever other grubby excuse they could get away with not working. Rare was it that a former Illegal would be making a good show of it.
We did indeed sign up to a U.N convention on 'Refugees' - but show me these 'Refos'? :huh
I don't see any?
Only 'Boaties' trying to queue-jump, enter illegally and more - all with pathetic excuses of irresponsible over-population (tough fucking luck!) and don't like the current Political party in power ...blah, blah. Really just grubs running for the riches of another country. No different to Aussie grubs who set up a business where rich people are and pretentiously jack up their prices like parasites, etc.
Bowral is a good example where the Farmers are rich, so everyone else thinks they can 'cash in' on it - even the Cops with their Fines. :roll

So don't try to convince me that these Boaties are Refugees. :roll Bah Humbug!
I lived in the Riverina. There are a lot of 'LEGAL' immigrants and 'LEGAL' refugees and they are embraced by the communities out there.
But they can always tell the 'ILLEGALS' and can pick 17 up in a month just on the main street of Town. Illegal in the country and illegally working, etc.

Give people a metre (refugee status) and others will try to take a mile (Illlegals).

:PC
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 11 Mar 2018, 22:32

Vulcan wrote:I wanted to finish my post but had to run off suddenly.

...illegals working as Labourers and all are 'drug dealers' on the side. All lazy dodgy workers who negate taking any responsibility duties, etc. Yet jump at the chance for another pay-rise by the Unions. Some even jumped the gun of being victimised by Foremen because of Race, Culture and whatever other grubby excuse they could get away with not working. Rare was it that a former Illegal would be making a good show of it.
We did indeed sign up to a U.N convention on 'Refugees' - but show me these 'Refos'? :huh
I don't see any?
Only 'Boaties' trying to queue-jump, enter illegally and more - all with pathetic excuses of irresponsible over-population (tough fucking luck!) and don't like the current Political party in power ...blah, blah. Really just grubs running for the riches of another country. No different to Aussie grubs who set up a business where rich people are and pretentiously jack up their prices like parasites, etc.
Bowral is a good example where the Farmers are rich, so everyone else thinks they can 'cash in' on it - even the Cops with their Fines. :roll

So don't try to convince me that these Boaties are Refugees. :roll Bah Humbug!
I lived in the Riverina. There are a lot of 'LEGAL' immigrants and 'LEGAL' refugees and they are embraced by the communities out there.
But they can always tell the 'ILLEGALS' and can pick 17 up in a month just on the main street of Town. Illegal in the country and illegally working, etc.

Give people a metre (refugee status) and others will try to take a mile (Illlegals).

:PC

Umm no Vulcan, it is the employers of these so-called illegals who are responsible. Nothing some Aussie farmers ( or should I say Foreign -owned Multi-national drones) likes more than cheap illegal labour.

ILLEGAL as in being paid a pittance, ripped off that pittance by 'costs'.
SLAVE LABOUR. Don't blame the SLAVES mate.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2018, 07:58

That is complete nonsense, Vulcan.

Like any group, there are good and bad but most of them want to make a better life for themselves and their children. Most had to escape persecution else they would not be classed as refugees.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 12 Mar 2018, 13:22

Asylum seeker family removed 'without warning' at dawn in central Queensland, Tamil Refugee Council says

An asylum seeker couple and their two Australian-born children were taken from their central Queensland home and flown to the Broadmeadows detention centre in Melbourne, the Tamil Refugee Council (TRC) says.

The TRC said Australian Border Force officers, police and Serco guards visited a Biloela home at dawn last week, taking the husband and wife from Sri Lanka and their two Australia-born children into custody.

Nadesalingam and Priya, and their children aged two years and nine months, have lived in Biloela for several years.

Biloela locals have taken to social media to try and bring the family back, with Nadesalingam reportedly working at the Biloela meatworks.

TRC spokesman Ben Hillier has condemned the early morning visit.

Mr Hillier said the action was heartless.

"To be whisked away like this without any warning beggar's belief that the Australian Government could be so callous in its actions, could be so inhumane in its treatment of a family that is raising their children, who were both born in this country, in such a way," he said

"Priya's husband was separated from his wife and children and Priya, in her van, was separated from her children and not allowed to sit with them, despite the children being obviously distressed," Mr Hillier said.

The ABC understands there was an issue because Priya wanted to hold her baby in the car, but the children needed to be placed into car seats and Nadesalingam travelled in separate vehicle because they could not all fit in the one car.

"The visit came just a day after their bridging visa expired, but the couple was told an extension would be sent, Mr Hillier said.

It is understood their visas expired between January and February.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-12/asylum-seeker-family-removed-at-dawn-biloela-central-qld/9538368

absofuckenlutely disgraceful ... makes me ashamed to be Australian .

Can we deport Dutton instead?
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 12 Mar 2018, 13:35

johnsmith wrote:
Asylum seeker family removed 'without warning' at dawn in central Queensland, Tamil Refugee Council says

An asylum seeker couple and their two Australian-born children were taken from their central Queensland home and flown to the Broadmeadows detention centre in Melbourne, the Tamil Refugee Council (TRC) says.

The TRC said Australian Border Force officers, police and Serco guards visited a Biloela home at dawn last week, taking the husband and wife from Sri Lanka and their two Australia-born children into custody.

Nadesalingam and Priya, and their children aged two years and nine months, have lived in Biloela for several years.

Biloela locals have taken to social media to try and bring the family back, with Nadesalingam reportedly working at the Biloela meatworks.

"To be whisked away like this without any warning beggar's belief that the Australian Government could be so callous in its actions, could be so inhumane in its treatment of a family that is raising their children, who were both born in this country, in such a way," he said

"Priya's husband was separated from his wife and children and Priya, in her van, was separated from her children and not allowed to sit with them, despite the children being obviously distressed," Mr Hillier said.

The ABC understands there was an issue because Priya wanted to hold her baby in the car, but the children needed to be placed into car seats and Nadesalingam travelled in separate vehicle because they could not all fit in the one car.

"The visit came just a day after their bridging visa expired, but the couple was told an extension would be sent, Mr Hillier said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-12/asylum-seeker-family-removed-at-dawn-biloela-central-qld/9538368

Oh jesus. What the fuck happened to my country?
mothra
Duck

Postby Gordy » 12 Mar 2018, 15:21

johnsmith wrote:

Rules are rules :)
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2018, 17:10

Not the only ones picked up off the street or from their homes. Bridging/temporary visas are EVIL!

Not only that, the LIbs think it is still 2013. With no boats landing (not 100% correct but leave that) public opinion has switched around to sympathy for the poor devils still in detention in Manus & Nauru. Labor can be far stronger on bringing them home and thereby sideline the bloody greens!

The bloody greens blocked the Malaysian Solution and thereby must accept some responsibility for Manus/Nauru. They blocked it for party political reasons: their wealthy inner city base wanted it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 12 Mar 2018, 19:01

Gordy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

thats a cop out. Having rules doesn't mean we can't be civil. Norway treats it's prisoners better than we treat asylum seekers, and they've done nothing wrong
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby mothra » 12 Mar 2018, 19:41

johnsmith wrote:
Gordy wrote:

thats a cop out. Having rules doesn't mean we can't be civil.

Children even. We do that to children.
mothra
Duck

Postby Vulcan » 12 Mar 2018, 22:32

Edit:I don’t think a post like yours is acceptable or funny, Vulcan. JM.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 12 Mar 2018, 22:34

Oh yes. Yes we do.

And we do it to our native-born children as well. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Vulcan » 12 Mar 2018, 22:48

Vulcan wrote:Edit:I don’t think a post like yours is acceptable or funny, Vulcan. JM.

Regardless - its the truth.

You obviously support irresponsible over-population.
Like those nations who pump out babies to just watch them die from starvation. Sick!
You'ld give $5 to a junkie if they came up to you on a street and asked for it ...yes, you would. :roll
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2018, 22:53

Nope.

But putting genuine refugees into hell holes is not managing the issue.

Since the Aussie birthrate is low we do need some migrants else no one to support Aussies in their old age.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 Mar 2018, 23:33

Vulcan wrote:
Vulcan wrote:Edit:I don’t think a post like yours is acceptable or funny, Vulcan. JM.

Regardless - its the truth.

You obviously support irresponsible over-population.
Like those nations who pump out babies to just watch them die from starvation. Sick!
You'ld give $5 to a junkie if they came up to you on a street and asked for it ...yes, you would. :roll

Don't try going off-topic Vulcan.

No comparison.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby Vulcan » 13 Mar 2018, 16:21

HBS Guy wrote:Nope.

But putting genuine refugees into hell holes is not managing the issue.

Since the Aussie birthrate is low we do need some migrants else no one to support Aussies in their old age.

Genuine Refugees - I totally support.
But like the Dole queue - telling the difference between the Battler and the Bludger, is where the line must be drawn.
Just trying to get into another country through illegal means (like Mexicans do into the USA) and crying Refugee status - is not the answer.
I've worked with 'illegals' who were eventually 'processed' to take residence here. No-gooders in their own country, sneaked into here and still get up to no good here (Most sell drugs around Building Sites). Nothing but parasites attached to the 'Refugee' host.

Gee - remember those boats coming in. Mostly adult males. When a few of them capsized (on purpose?) - the adult males pushed women & children aside, took life-vests off them, etc. Real low lifes and nothing but a greedy migration of over-populated going for the riches of a new land. Refugees? Bah Humbug!

War torn Vietnam. Kosovo. Rwanda. Syria - all 'real' Refugee circumstances.
Those that pay a fortune to smugglers to get them here by crappy boat service (provided by Indonesia and a few other Indian Ocean nations) just for 'migrationary' reasons and then using 'poverty' (poorer than us) as their excuse to get easy access....
...well, 'sponge-off' then. :roll
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Next

Return to Politics