Tasmania's only abortion clinic closes

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Tasmania's only abortion clinic closes

Postby mothra » 01 Mar 2018, 13:21

Tasmania's only abortion clinic closes, putting pressure on government to find alternative
By Georgie Burgess and Tamara Glumac

The Tasmanian Government is under pressure to find a new surgical abortion service, after the closure of the state's only clinic.

Dr Paul Hyland had been the state's primary surgical abortion provider for 17 years, but said rising costs and a drop in demand had meant he had closed the service.

He said the number of surgical abortions, a procedure done after nine weeks, had declined.

"Back in 2000 there were 25 to 30 surgical terminations a week and that's slowly dropped due to the combined effects of contraception and managing it earlier," he said.

Dr Hyland said those currently seeking a termination after nine weeks were being told to visit their GP, an approach he said was not helpful.

Tasmanian Health Minister Michael Ferguson has been a vocal opponent of the abortion pill RU486, and joined church leaders to protest against the state's Reproductive Health Bill that passed in 2013.

"I think the minister needs to be pragmatic about the services that are required to Tasmanian people disregarding his own personal values," Dr Hyland said.

Dr Hyland said the majority of women accessing termination in Tasmania used a medical abortion, which was available up to nine weeks.

"There are going to be women presenting for surgical abortions above nine weeks," he said.

"We're talking about four weeks of pregnancy gestation that needs to be accommodated by a service.

"No private provider is going to do it so the Government is going to have to do something about it, bearing in mind their budget, values and politics."

Interstate travel on the cards
Family Planning Tasmania's chief executive, Cedric Manen, said since the closure there had already been a case of a woman needing to travel interstate.

He expected more would follow and said that is "absolutely not ideal for any woman in Tasmania".

"Also in any recovery-type situation it's best to have your friends and family surrounding you … so the women would have very little support," Mr Manen said.

The Health Department said patient travel assistance was available.

With the closure of the dedicated clinic, the only other option to access a surgical termination in Tasmania is at a private gynaecological clinic in Hobart, at a cost of up to $2,500.

"For someone in Burnie they're faced with a potential five-hour drive, a very high cost factor, accommodation, recovery period and then travel back, so it's not ideal," Mr Manen said.

Political pressure
Greens leader Cassy O'Connor is also calling on the Government to act.

"Tasmania now only has one private practitioner who can conduct surgical terminations, and only on a part-time basis," Ms O'Connor said.

"The Hodgman Government needs to step in as a matter of priority, and move to ensure surgical terminations can be made available in public hospitals.

"For many women in disadvantaged communities, making an already distressing choice, the cost … will be something they can't comprehend being able to fund."

"We encourage the Liberals to do the right thing, and hope Health Minister Michael Ferguson's well-known ideological opposition doesn't get in the way."

Mr Ferguson said his department was aware of the closure, and was investigating options.

He said women with concerns should visit their GP for advice.

In 2013, Tasmania joined Victoria and the ACT in removing any reference to the medical procedure in criminal laws.

The law allows terminations at up to 16 weeks with the woman's consent, and after 16 weeks with the agreement of two doctors.

Doctors who oppose abortion are compelled to give women a list of willing practitioners.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-13/tasmanias-only-abortion-clinic-closes/9325194
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Tasmania's only abortion clinic closes

Postby Vulcan » 01 Mar 2018, 15:05

Well good news in a way - regarding the lack of need (drop in demand) from the year 2000.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Mar 2018, 18:25

Oh dear, that might kybosh my move to Tassie!

:roll :bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 01 Mar 2018, 18:30

HBS Guy wrote:Oh dear, that might kybosh my move to Tassie!

worried you might get pregnant?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Mar 2018, 19:08

And if I did? No choice!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Gordy » 01 Mar 2018, 19:19

HBS Guy wrote:Oh dear, that might kybosh my move to Tassie!

Tassy. Nice place to visit but.....
Gordy
Chihuahua

Postby johnsmith » 01 Mar 2018, 21:44

HBS Guy wrote:And if I did? No choice!

i doubt you'd care ... you'd be to busy cheering that you got a root at your age :clap :clap :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Vulcan » 01 Mar 2018, 21:47

Regardless of the inbreed jokes ...a far better place to live than Sydney and its surrounds.

To think, how times change.
On radio a few days ago. More people 'leave' Sydney than any other place in Australia. Ironically, abortions are down in Tassie, so possibly less 'inbreeding'?
Sydney is the place to leave. Tassie, the place to go!

Mind you, I've been saying Sydney will go 'kaboom' when the BIG War starts and some moslem in a little white van with a black market Nuke from old Soviet days sends Sydney looking like the cover of Red Sails in the Sunset.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 01 Mar 2018, 21:55

Vulcan wrote:Mind you, I've been saying Sydney will go 'kaboom' when the BIG War starts and some moslem in a little white van with a black market Nuke from old Soviet days sends Sydney looking like the cover of Red Sails in the Sunset.

rubbish .... if they were to get their hands on one, there are so many targets for them between the former soviet republic and sydney, that they would be mad to risk trying to bring one here. The further it travels the more chance of being discovered. They wouldn't risk losing it specifically for sydney. It's not like there is an oversupply of nukes that they can buy
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Mar 2018, 22:05

johnsmith wrote:

i doubt you'd care ... you'd be to busy cheering that you got a root at your age :clap :clap :clap

So would you, dickhead, IF you managed to reach my present age!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Vulcan » 01 Mar 2018, 22:08

johnsmith wrote:
Vulcan wrote:Mind you, I've been saying Sydney will go 'kaboom' when the BIG War starts and some moslem in a little white van with a black market Nuke from old Soviet days sends Sydney looking like the cover of Red Sails in the Sunset.

rubbish .... if they were to get their hands on one, there are so many targets for them between the former soviet republic and sydney, that they would be mad to risk trying to bring one here. The further it travels the more chance of being discovered. They wouldn't risk losing it specifically for sydney. It's not like there is an oversupply of nukes that they can buy

Regardless of the specifics of 'how' it comes about.
The fact is - it will come about.
Sydney House Prices are going to go 'sky high' in their biggest Housing Boom ever!
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Mar 2018, 22:15

Sydney house prices are “Going down and staying Down” well, for a bit.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 01 Mar 2018, 22:18

HBS Guy wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

So would you, dickhead, IF you managed to reach my present age!

hey, I cheer when I get a root now.................. never mind when i get to your age :rofl :rofl :rofl
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Mar 2018, 22:19

:bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 03 Mar 2018, 11:45

What is going on here? Mothra posted a current news piece and nobody thinks to discuss it, not even Mothra!

Why? Do people not care about women's rights? Can no one posit a fix?

I think that govt will have pay private providers to take public patients.
Miranda
Chihuahua

Postby Vulcan » 03 Mar 2018, 12:34

Miranda wrote:What is going on here? Mothra posted a current news piece and nobody thinks to discuss it, not even Mothra!

Private Providers do take Govt patients - like Villawood detention inmates who come in for 'rectum repairs'.
Private Providers 'rip off' tax payers through this Govt act.

Other than that - Private Providers usually send Private patients to Public Hospitals, because Private are too stingy to provide their own Emergency, ICU and other more intensive services in their hospitals, while they charge Patients a LOT on top of their Insurances.

Australian Private Health Industry? :rofl YOUR BEING RIPPED OFF (and the Public system is being sued for providing 'free' care)
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby Miranda » 03 Mar 2018, 14:18

Vulcan wrote:
Miranda wrote:What is going on here? Mothra posted a current news piece and nobody thinks to discuss it, not even Mothra!

Private Providers do take Govt patients - like Villawood detention inmates who come in for 'rectum repairs'.
Private Providers 'rip off' tax payers through this Govt act.

Other than that - Private Providers usually send Private patients to Public Hospitals, because Private are too stingy to provide their own Emergency, ICU and other more intensive services in their hospitals, while they charge Patients a LOT on top of their Insurances.

Australian Private Health Industry? :rofl YOUR BEING RIPPED OFF (and the Public system is being sued for providing 'free' care)

Thanks Vulcan. It's good to see that someone has an opinion.

I wonder if the Tassy Public hospitals have prepared for abortions, in house... in which case, there is no issue. Given your point above, it would be more cost effective.
Miranda
Chihuahua

Postby johnsmith » 03 Mar 2018, 18:29

:WTF :WTF :WTF

you could always discuss it instead of whinging about what everyone else is doing
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Miranda » 04 Mar 2018, 00:10

johnsmith wrote:

:WTF :WTF :WTF

you could always discuss it instead of whinging about what everyone else is doing

I have. Why haven't you?
Miranda
Chihuahua

Postby johnsmith » 04 Mar 2018, 08:47

you call that one sentence a discussion? :WTF :rofl :rofl :rofl

you only made that sentence in reply to vulcans comment. it hardly rates as a discussion
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Miranda » 04 Mar 2018, 12:05

johnsmith wrote:you call that one sentence a discussion? :WTF :rofl :rofl :rofl

you only made that sentence in reply to vulcans comment. it hardly rates as a discussion

Picking on stroke surviors with only one finger to type with, who have to scan for every letter to find it, shows me that you at least, would rather that I leave. And i feel that you are not the only one who feel this way. I have over stayed my welcome.

HBS Guy, i like your boutique Forum and I will still tell a select group of my FB friends, as I promised I would. Sorry it didnt work out, but no hard feelings.
Miranda
Chihuahua

Postby johnsmith » 04 Mar 2018, 14:20

Miranda wrote:

Picking on stroke surviors with only one finger to type with, who have to scan for every letter to find it, shows me that you at least, would rather that I leave. And i feel that you are not the only one who feel this way. I have over stayed my welcome.

HBS Guy, i like your boutique Forum and I will still tell a select group of my FB friends, as I promised I would. Sorry it didnt work out, but no hard feelings.

no, i don't want you to leave. You don't rate enough for me to have an opinion on you one way or the other in that regard.

If you can take the time to criticise other posters with only one finger to type with, you can find the time to formulate a reply to the topic.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Mar 2018, 16:50

Miranda wrote:

Oh, don’t be so precious!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Vulcan » 04 Mar 2018, 17:38

oops
:oops
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Return to Politics