Dear God, 17 dead!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Dear God, 17 dead!

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2018, 10:48

Another mass shooting in the US, in Florida. At a school, pupil had been expelled last year.

One of my yankee brew buddies will be saying MORE guns are the answer. Too late there for gun reform. I know some of my brew buddies bought guns and buried them in their garden, so scared Obama would take their guns away.

No amount of deaths will result in sense being applied to guns in the US. Very sad but so it is. None can look at our experience since the buy back and make the obvious connection and even here idiots want pump action shotguns and the like made legal here.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Dear God, 17 dead!

Postby greggerypeccary » 15 Feb 2018, 12:02

HBS Guy wrote: Another mass shooting in the US, in Florida. At a school, pupil had been expelled last year.

One of my yankee brew buddies will be saying MORE guns are the answer. Too late there for gun reform. I know some of my brew buddies bought guns and buried them in their garden, so scared Obama would take their guns away.

No amount of deaths will result in sense being applied to guns in the US. Very sad but so it is. None can look at our experience since the buy back and make the obvious connection and even here idiots want pump action shotguns and the like made legal here.

"No amount of deaths will result in sense being applied to guns in the US."

So sad, but so true.

Nothing will happen. Absolutely nothing.

We'll be reading about another mass shooting next month :sad
greggerypeccary
Cheetah

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2018, 12:04

The mass shootings there don’t stop, that is for sure.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 15 Feb 2018, 12:52

how tragic

that school kids get access to weapons like this is a disgrace. Of course, the gun lobby will argue that it's the fault of guns.

Just wait for some moron to suggest that if the other kids were armed they would have stopped him
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby mothra » 15 Feb 2018, 13:14

Only just showed my daughter "Bowling For Columbine". The answers were known back then ... and still kids are dying in terror.

My heart goes out to all of them, and to everybody who loves them.
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2018, 16:50

One minute bright kids, the next lifeless bloody corpses.

Seventeen little corpses! Seventeen.

Not even Obama could make much headway with a massacre like this. I shudder to think what the orange idiot will do.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Vulcan » 15 Feb 2018, 17:37

It's a cultural 'Ego' thing between the USA and Mexico (Me-hic-o).
Murders have tripled in Mexico since last year and now USA ups the ante with its 'kids with guns' effort.
Both nations seeing which is more dangerous to live in ...who are the 'toughest' people, so to speak - to put up with such violence.

My money is on the USA.
No way would Mexico's civilian armed take on the USA's civilian armed.

CRAZY - but true!
Afterall, its a crazy world out there!
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2018, 23:48

Vulcan wrote:It's a cultural 'Ego' thing between the USA and Mexico (Me-hic-o).
Murders have tripled in Mexico since last year and now USA ups the ante with its 'kids with guns' effort.
Both nations seeing which is more dangerous to live in ...who are the 'toughest' people, so to speak - to put up with such violence.

My money is on the USA.

CRAZY - but true!

THAT is an interesting take on it.!
Can't say that has occurred to me as some possible reason for the gun frenzy in the US.

Just seen some unbelievable stats on US gun ownership on ABC24. . The answer appears to be MORE GUNS. :WTF
The average gun-owning family in the US own 8 weapons.!!

Another tragedy has occurred. More to follow. :sad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 16 Feb 2018, 01:10

Just saw a Police Man in Florida in a Press Conference given earlier.

One thing he said stood out to me.

He said 'there can be no doubt this was an act of pure EVIL.'

Or he may have just said evil. Is pure evil an oxymoron.?

Anyway... It struck me what he was implying. Despite ALL EVIDENCE that these perpetrators of mass shootings are often mentally-ill and, represent only something like only .01 percent of all gun deaths in the US , they're saying these are NOT human acts.

They seem unable to understand... there is no evil, only human beings.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2018, 07:13

There is a huge number of homicides, accidental homicides (kid gets hold of Daddy’s gun, shoots his sibling—a loaded gun left where kids can get hold of it!) and suicides by gun.

Still—the answer is always more guns. Too late to do too much about it.

Keep assault rifles(!) off the streets and try to stop the insane, the clinically depressed etc, from getting hold of automatic weapons.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2018, 07:50

The Florida shooter was a troubled boy infatuated by guns, so why not let him into a gunshop and buy an AR-15 assault weapon to play with:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/suspect-in-florida-school-massacre-charged-with-17-counts-of-murder-20180215-p4z0is.html

And the leader of a white nationalist militia says Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz is a member of his group and participated in paramilitary drills in Tallahassee. Ah! The land of the Free:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/florida-shooter-nikolas-cruz-a-white-nationalist-member-20180215-p4z0iw.html

The FBI was warned of a possible threat posed by the teenager accused of a deadly shooting at a US high school as long ago as September, as a possible motive for the massacre has emerged:
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2018/02/16/florida-shooting-gunman-motive/

(From PBX “Dawn Patrol”)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 16 Feb 2018, 10:28

More white supremacist terrorism.
greggerypeccary
Cheetah

Postby Vulcan » 16 Feb 2018, 11:03

pinkeye wrote:
Vulcan wrote:It's a cultural 'Ego' thing between the USA and Mexico (Me-hic-o).

My money is on the USA.

CRAZY - but true!

THAT is an interesting take on it.!
Can't say that has occurred to me as some possible reason for the gun frenzy in the US.

Just seen some unbelievable stats on US gun ownership on ABC24. . The answer appears to be MORE GUNS. :WTF
The average gun-owning family in the US own 8 weapons.!!

Another tragedy has occurred. More to follow. :sad

Yes - it is a different take.
But my specialty is on 'the big picture'.
I studied hard for it, even learned to research in Uni Libraries since the age of 10 and to think, I attended school in Mt Druitt :Hi
Anyway - nations are like a person.
Each one has its behavioural, reasons and character, etc.

It's a battle of the 'breeding' and the USA is aiming to be the premier 'northern American' breeder.
Personally, the 'Rangas' will become the most dominant 'race' in Namerica come 100 years.
But to do so for any race to dominate in any 'factor' - there is always a 'trial by...' to get through.

By having 'expendable' population - shows a confidence in their ability to 'mass produce' and the USA is aiming to oust the Mexicans on that level.
There is no way, as tough on the streets the Mexicans are, that they would win against the even more 'gun crazy' Americans.

But remember this - not 'every American' has the role to play to just be the 'breeder'.
Take 'blonde' Americans. Unlike their 'ranga' room-mates, they are more interested in 'power'.

Anyway. Expect more 'excuses' to own guns to rise.

I don't see anything against Americans having more guns to solve the problem.
Unlike us, for them its 'more', rather than 'less' like it is for us.
But hey, we have a different agenda to attain - and the yanks probably think we are crazy to do it our way too.
Vulcan
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2018, 14:52

From the HuffPo email I got last night:

'WE JUST KEPT HEARING GUNSHOTS AND SCREAMING' At least 17 students and adults are dead and 15 injured after 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire on his former high school in Parkland, Florida. Armed with smoke bombs, Cruz reportedly wore a gas mask and pulled the fire alarms in order to lure students and teachers out of the classrooms before unleashing a torrent of bullets with an AR-15. He then blended into the panicked crowd to escape before eventually being apprehended two hours later.

THIS IS THE 18TH SCHOOL SHOOTING IN 2018 There has been a school shooting on average every 60 hours so far this year, leading former congresswoman Gabby Giffords to ask, "Is it safe to send our kids to school?" [HuffPost]

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WEAPONS OF WAR USED IN MASS SHOOTINGS LIKE THIS ONE Shooters know these assault-style rifles maximize casualties. According to Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), these atrocities are Congress' fault. And Trump's proposed budget would cut millions from the gun background check system. [HuffPost]

:WTF
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 Feb 2018, 22:29

HBS Guy wrote:From the HuffPo email I got last night:

'WE JUST KEPT HEARING GUNSHOTS AND SCREAMING' At least 17 students and adults are dead and 15 injured after 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire on his former high school in Parkland, Florida. Armed with smoke bombs, Cruz reportedly wore a gas mask and pulled the fire alarms in order to lure students and teachers out of the classrooms before unleashing a torrent of bullets with an AR-15. He then blended into the panicked crowd to escape before eventually being apprehended two hours later.

THIS IS THE 18TH SCHOOL SHOOTING IN 2018 There has been a school shooting on average every 60 hours so far this year, leading former congresswoman Gabby Giffords to ask, "Is it safe to send our kids to school?" [HuffPost]

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WEAPONS OF WAR USED IN MASS SHOOTINGS LIKE THIS ONE Shooters know these assault-style rifles maximize casualties. According to Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), these atrocities are Congress' fault. And Trump's proposed budget would cut millions from the gun background check system. [HuffPost]

:WTF

:WTF Indeed.

Personally, I believe I should be able to own a gun. That's just me. I know I'd only ever use it in self-defence of myself and my home.
But I'm not allowed to in Australia. I accept that is the Law. Sadly, most gun deaths are from 'illegal' guns.
People who would ignore the Law in this respect ARE from society's point of view, outlaws.

SO, in the US.. the horse has truly bolted. There are SO MANY illegal guns on the street, in general populations, that you can never remove them. This effectively means, lawful gun ownership is necessary.And lots of it.

I think it is the fact that the Wild West has come to town boys.!

This is I believe the cultural background of gun ownership in the US AND, it merges perfectly TODAY with Vulcan's take. It is still the Wild West ..... only now, this ready justice has become a norm, in many places.
One could add the martial nature of the USA. Never afraid to cross vast oceans to wage war on behalf of it's own interests.

This is a dying society I think. There will be survivors, and the advent of TRUMP certainly brings this time of dissolution and reconstitution much closer.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 19 Feb 2018, 01:48

HBS Guy wrote:One minute bright kids, the next lifeless bloody corpses.

Seventeen little corpses! Seventeen.

Not even Obama could make much headway with a massacre like this. I shudder to think what the orange idiot will do.

The answer will surely come via twitter :bike :bike
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 19 Feb 2018, 17:34

pinkeye wrote: Sadly, most gun deaths are from 'illegal' guns.

if you want to steal a gun in australia, where do you get it from?

if you want to steal a gun in the USA, where do you get it from?

how difficult is it to find illegal handguns in Australia versus the USA?

illegal handguns are as common in the usa as legal handguns.

Thats because if you're a thief in the USA you have a better than 50/50 shot of finding guns in any house you break into. In Australia finding a handgun during a normal break in is rare
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 19 Feb 2018, 22:43

johnsmith wrote:

Thats because if you're a thief in the USA you have a better than 50/50 shot of finding guns in any house you break into. In Australia finding a handgun during a normal break in is rare

Still proponents of tougher gun control in Australia would say that many thieves acquire guns through targeted break-ins where they know the owner possesses weapons. I mean what is the answer.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 19 Feb 2018, 23:14

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Still proponents of tougher gun control in Australia would say that many thieves acquire guns through targeted break-ins where they know the owner possesses weapons. I mean what is the answer.?

you will never stop illegal guns completely. However I'd much rather live in a society where illegal guns are difficult to come by than one where they're easier to buy than a bottle of scotch. It's a numbers game.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 19 Feb 2018, 23:52

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

you will never stop illegal guns completely. However I'd much rather live in a society where illegal guns are difficult to come by than one where they're easier to buy than a bottle of scotch. It's a numbers game.

Yes, and the USA shows this clearly.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 24 Feb 2018, 01:36

So we've heard Trump's views now on the teev. More guns.

Planet America on ABC TV was interesting tonight. The stats are truly confounding.!! Really interesting. ( of course Stats are of limited appeal)

I was very interested to see an interview of one of the young male student activists on commercial channels last night . More than one interview.
He's getting his minutes of fame.
Will it continue as a genuine movement for change in the USA.?

I feel somewhat uneasy, BUT then again this is the age of social media. Nothing I contribute to I should add. Nothing I am comfortable with either.

His certainty and evident belief in his and other rich and poor kids' activism seems real.

BUT ....

I get the feeling he is a Scientologist.!

He seems programmed that way

I have carefully watched a few programs about the Scientologists. It seems incredible that people buy in to this farce.

:jump L Ron Hubbard?? Laughing out loud in his grave.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 24 Feb 2018, 04:40

pinkeye wrote:So we've heard Trump's views now on the teev. More guns.

Planet America on ABC TV was interesting tonight. The stats are truly confounding.!! Really interesting. ( of course Stats are of limited appeal)

I was very interested to see an interview of one of the young male student activists on commercial channels last night . More than one interview.
He's getting his minutes of fame.
Will it continue as a genuine movement for change in the USA.?

I feel somewhat uneasy, BUT then again this is the age of social media. Nothing I contribute to I should add. Nothing I am comfortable with either.

His certainty and evident belief in his and other rich and poor kids' activism seems real.

BUT ....

I get the feeling he is a Scientologist.!

He seems programmed that way

I have carefully watched a few programs about the Scientologists. It seems incredible that people buy in to this farce.

:jump L Ron Hubbard?? Laughing out loud in his grave.

Who was this alleged scientologist you speak of?
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 24 Feb 2018, 09:44

pinkeye wrote:So we've heard Trump's views now on the teev. More guns.

geez .... I struggle to understand how Americans came to be the greatest superpower, with the biggest economy and some of the best businesses globally, whilst at the same time falling for crap like this

i must be missing something. No peoples that stupid should be such a success story .... and yet they are.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Feb 2018, 09:57

The US is largely a third world country with civilised bits around the edges.

God and Guns the religion.

When you live in rural America and know you will be poor all your life, no education, inadequate income, no prospects etc owning guns gives you the illusion of power. Religion tells you you will win eternal salvation. Racism is part of the power you want—you are better than coons and greasers etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Feb 2018, 10:15

That is why bullshit YouTubes about an imminent ice age gain so much traction in the US. Read this idiot (comment on a ice age youtube:)

Elite and world leaders will not inform humanity. They know the sheeple will panic and start chaos now should they inform the public of what is coming. As a bonus for the elite, they wish to cull 6 out of 7 of the world population for sustainability. When things get catastrophic they will have mass media propagandize a mantra along the lines of, "OMG nature just threw an unpredictable curve ball at our earth."

See, he is not a sheeple, he is IN THE KNOW! Pure horse shit but it gives them an illusion of superiority over others.

I post about the record warmth and record low ice extent in the Arctic—they cannot afford to take notice of that, they must feel superior.

“sheeple” is a common term in comments—imagined superiority because they believe arrant bullshit promulgated by someone with no scientific training who engages in pure cherry picking and bullshit. Dubyne probably makes a good living from his dupes.

When the crap is shown to be absolute crap and that Dubyne has systematically lied to them for years—HM will do something violent? They will have an arsenal to do it with.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics