Cory Bernardi mansplains childbirth

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Cory Bernardi mansplains childbirth

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 20:24

Common sense lives here: Cory Bernardi mansplains childbirth

Cory Bernardi's weekly e-newsletter is titled "Common Sense Lives Here", and it generally glides into one's inbox on a Wednesday.

Its title is more aspirational than actual, given that Bernardi's stated views include scepticism of global warming, and a belief that the legalisation of same-sex marriage could lead to bestiality.

Nonetheless the Common Sense newsletter is always a good read. It contains examples of neo-Marxist panderings, left-wing indoctrinations and politically correct cant, all of which are antithetical to the common sense Bernardi values so highly (even as he eschews science and logic).

This week the Australian Conservatives founder threw in a titbit sent to him by one of his supporters, sourced from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. He said it was an example of the "indulgence of perpetual grievance".

The nursing and midwifery board, he reported, from March 1 this year, will insist their members acknowledge their "white privilege" when their patients demand it.

"That's right, if during your birth procedure you feel culturally vulnerable (or even if you don't) you can insist that your midwife acknowledge their white privilege," he wrote to his supporters.

"Now, that might be a problem if your midwife doesn't actually identify as a white person, even if she is one. After all, everyone can now be whatever they want and the rest of us have to appease these self-indulgent fantasists."

Then Bernardi went on to deliver such a fine example of mansplaining, it should get its own entry in the dictionary.

"Having a baby hasn't really changed over generations," he told us.

If you are a woman of child-bearing age, you might want to grab a pen here to take notes.

"It can be painful, difficult, sometimes dangerous but it is entirely necessary for our species to continue."

You can see how Bernardi has developed his reputation for daring to tell the uncomfortable truth: this stuff is red hot.

But he hasn't finished – Dr Bernardi is still in the house.

"It's the same process for every woman regardless of race, creed or colour," he continued.

"Through time immemorial, others have been there to assist in bringing new life into the world and no-one had to acknowledge white privilege ... until March 2018."

Bernardi's anecdote is very misleading, and he seems to have done zero fact-checking, but it does contain a kernel of truth.

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia recently reviewed its codes of conduct for nurses and midwives, and refined the codes to include special provisions relating to "cultural safety".

Within the definition on cultural safety, there is a sentence about "acknowledging white privilege".

At no point are nurses or midwives compelled to acknowledge their "white privilege" to patients.

"Cultural safety" is a term for the practice of ensuring that respect for people's different cultures is built into the provision of public services like health and education.

Is it damnably politically correct? Perhaps.

But given the historical trampling of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture in this country, I am OK with people from the caring professions paying special attention to the comfort of their most disadvantaged patients.

I am particularly OK with nurses and midwives catering to the special needs of Aboriginal patients when they are experiencing what is for many women the most frightening event of their lives and one that leaves them most vulnerable – childbirth.

Bernardi's blithe assertion that birth "is the same process for every woman regardless of race, creed, or colour" is utter garbage, and does nothing except advertise his arrogance.

It would be funny, were it not for the fact that his party is set to contest 20 lower house seats in the upcoming South Australian elections, and is vying against One Nation for space on the expanding right fringe of the political landscape.

To state one obvious example, until relatively recently, childbirth, for thousands of Aboriginal women, was followed by the removal of their babies. In this sense the experience of childbirth has historically been categorically, traumatically different for many Aboriginal women.

For contemporary Indigenous women from remote areas, childbirth may be the first time they have entered the clinical environment of a hospital, says Colleen Gibbs, of the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives.

In some cases they are thousands of kilometres from their home and people, and may not speak English fluently. For such women giving birth in a hospital environment could easily be terrifying.

On nearly every register of health, Aboriginal people have worse outcomes and are much more susceptible to chronic disease than non-Aboriginal Australians.

Ask any health practitioner and they will tell you a great challenge is getting Aboriginal people to engage with the healthcare system at all. Aboriginal people often fear they will be stereotyped by doctors, or blamed for causing their own problems with their "lifestyle".

If the practice of "cultural safety" mitigates institutional racism, and makes the process of giving birth less scary for indigenous women, let's have more of it. You could call it political correctness gone mad. You could call it, as Bernardi does, "catering to others' self-declared victimhood".

Or you could just characterise it as the nation's most dedicated and underpaid healthcare workers paying attention to the unique needs of their patients.

But that sounds too much like common sense to make Bernardi's newsletter.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/common-sense-lives-here-cory-bernardi-mansplains-childbirth-20180201-h0rz8z.html
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Cory Bernardi mansplains childbirth

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 20:39

stay tuned for next weeks e- newsletter

'Bernardi's explains menstuation'

:grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 20:40

i just don't get how anyone can vote for that bloke.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 20:41

johnsmith wrote:stay tuned for next weeks e- newsletter

I'm sure it will be very informative. Am i allowed to read during my period?
mothra
Duck

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Feb 2018, 20:45

Good grief!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 20:50

mothra wrote:

as long as you keep in mind Bernardi's 'common sense' approach while reading, you'll be fine
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 20:56

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

as long as you keep in mind Bernardi's 'common sense' approach while reading, you'll be fine

Well, see now i can't guarantee that.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 21:01

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:

Well, see now i can't guarantee that.

Common sense says that perhaps it's best you wait another week before reading. :roll :roll
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 21:03

he obviously wasn't present when his own kids were born then
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 21:07

johnsmith wrote:

Common sense says that perhaps it's best you wait another week before reading. :roll :roll

Good plan. That should inform me in time before i ovulate. That way i can know how to give birth if i get pregnant.

Strange though, since SSM came in, i've only wanted to fuck barn animals.

Do you think giving birth would still be the same then?
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 21:08

johnsmith wrote:

he obviously wasn't present when his own kids were born then

Or ever listened to a woman who's had more than one child.
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 21:10

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Good plan. That should inform me in time before i ovulate. That way i can know how to give birth if i get pregnant.

i don't see why it will change, except you might want to keep a bale of hay handy
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 21:14

johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i don't see why it will change, except you might want to keep a bale of hay handy

Should i make a manger joke? Too obvious?
mothra
Duck

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 21:47

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Should i make a manger joke? Too obvious?

I'm sure a good christian boy like Bernardi would appreciate you considering giving birth in a manger
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 22:06

Yeah right ... the manger is for the birth.
mothra
Duck

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 22:07

In any event, i already learned about sex and stuff from these wise women:

mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 03 Feb 2018, 22:26

I don't understand what's wrong with the article, or how he was 'mansplaining'. He was simply stating facts. The fact that childbirth is more difficult for women of indigenous background is because of their lack of access to decent care, not because the actual process of childbirth is different. Cory was just stating a fact.

Regarding the idea that the Nursing and Midwifery Board should be culturally sensitive could be a tool used by the Left to demand extra concessions from hospitals like Prayer rooms, or Halal food. And the fact that White Privilege is even mentioned in the Code is disturbing.
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2018, 23:01

CaesarAugustus wrote:The fact that childbirth is more difficult for women of indigenous background is because of their lack of access to decent care, not because the actual process of childbirth is different. Cory was just stating a fact.

aboriginal women don't trust the health system.

CaesarAugustus wrote: And the fact that White Privilege is even mentioned in the Code is disturbing.

doesn't that depend on what exactly it says?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2018, 23:47

CaesarAugustus wrote:I don't understand what's wrong with the article, or how he was 'mansplaining'. He was simply stating facts. The fact that childbirth is more difficult for women of indigenous background is because of their lack of access to decent care, not because the actual process of childbirth is different. Cory was just stating a fact.

Now i've mentioned it, i'll leave you to work out how you've contradicted yourself

I'll let your immense naivety about the process slip through to the keeper

caesarAugustus wrote:Regarding the idea that the Nursing and Midwifery Board should be culturally sensitive could be a tool used by the Left to demand extra concessions from hospitals like Prayer rooms, or Halal food. And the fact that White Privilege is even mentioned in the Code is disturbing.

Did you not read what you only just wrote?
mothra
Duck

Postby pinkeye » 04 Feb 2018, 01:11

mothra wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

:bgrin :Hi :purple :purple :yak yak :yak yak :yellow :yellow :buddy :tweed :c :giggle :clap

sigh
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 04 Feb 2018, 02:55

Pink, did you watch the French and Saunders clip?

It's where i learned that men had three dangly toilet parts.

And fortunately Douglas Adams had already prepared me about the towels.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 04 Feb 2018, 23:08

mothra wrote:Now i've mentioned it, i'll leave you to work out how you've contradicted yourself

Care to point out where I've contradicted myself???

mothra wrote:Did you not read what you only just wrote?

Did you not read what I only just wrote?
The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the Federal Government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. - Ronald Reagan.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Postby pinkeye » 05 Feb 2018, 00:03

mothra wrote:Pink, did you watch the French and Saunders clip?

It's where i learned that men had three dangly toilet parts.

And fortunately Douglas Adams had already prepared me about the towels.

Yes :bgrin :jump

Nah I knew that ages ago.
:bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby mothra » 07 Feb 2018, 13:28

CaesarAugustus wrote:
mothra wrote:Now i've mentioned it, i'll leave you to work out how you've contradicted yourself

If it's more difficult for some women. then the "process" isn't the same for all women now is it?

Jesus, birthing isn't even the same in different wards in a hospital.

Did you not read what I only just wrote?[/quote]

I most certainly did. And i felt quite sorry for you as a result.
mothra
Duck

Postby Auggie » 15 Feb 2018, 13:20

mothra wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:

If it's more difficult for some women. then the "process" isn't the same for all women now is it?

Jesus, birthing isn't even the same in different wards in a hospital.

Did you not read what I only just wrote?

I most certainly did. And i felt quite sorry for you as a result.[/quote]

The main issue I have with your term 'mansplaining' is that it implies a person is sexist or misogynistic. I don't think it's fair to categorize Bernadi as misogynistic.

Second, Bernadi was stating that birthing is 'biologically' the same across all creeds and race; i.e. the women either give birth via natural means or caesarian. There is no distinct biological difference in how women give birth is there? The socio-cultural factors influencing birth is dependent on external factors. Bernadi was talking about biology, not socio-cultural issues.
Auggie
Pain in the Butt

Next

Return to Politics