? Day ?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

? Day ?

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2018, 03:09

Ok .. I'll put up the topic no-one really wants to acknowledge.

Is Australia Day being celebrated on 26 January an issue for you.??

Been hearing a lot about this myself ..from various sources.

I'll say that , in my opinion, this is the wrong date upon which to celebrate Australia Day.

What do you think?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jan 2018, 08:56

I must admit it isn’t something I have thought about.

To one section of our community it is Invasion Day so I would be OK to moving it to another day.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 45443
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: ? Day ?

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jan 2018, 09:06

Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 45443
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: ? Day ?

Postby johnsmith » 26 Jan 2018, 09:22

Whilst personally I have no problem with Jan 26, If some Australians associate that date with invasion day then I don't have a problem with changing the date. Australia day is about celebrating Australia, all of it ... not just white anglo australia.

Lets not forget, Australia day has only been recognised since 1938 and made a public holiday only since 1994. As far as historical significance goes it's not even that old. The other thing to remember is that it is more than likely that once we become a 'republic' (which I think is only a matter of time) then the date will most likely change anyway

given all that, we should just change the date so that EVERYONE can celebrate being Australian, not just a select few.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Warthog
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby johnsmith » 26 Jan 2018, 09:24

also, Jan 26 is not "Australia day', it's NSW day.

Australia day SHOULD be celebrated on 1 Jan, the date of federation. Although I can understand people not wanting to lose a public holiday.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Warthog
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jan 2018, 09:32

When I was working in the PS (not when working in my own businesses) I hated the second half of the year—only one public holiday!

So the Republic of Australia should be declared on 1 August.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 45443
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: ? Day ?

Postby johnsmith » 26 Jan 2018, 09:35

By the way, Happy Australia day people.

Hope you all have a good one.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Warthog
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby Miranda » 26 Jan 2018, 10:31

johnsmith wrote:also, Jan 26 is not "Australia day', it's NSW day.

Australia day SHOULD be celebrated on 1 Jan, the date of federation. Although I can understand people not wanting to lose a public holiday.


I agree with you John. Maybe we could have 2 days off; New years and Federation? We could celebrate 26 Jan as Foundation Day, giving due deferance to Aboriginal people and land taken by the Empire, at their expence.
Miranda
Chihuahua
 
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Dec 2017, 12:53
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby johnsmith » 26 Jan 2018, 13:21

Miranda wrote:
johnsmith wrote:also, Jan 26 is not "Australia day', it's NSW day.

Australia day SHOULD be celebrated on 1 Jan, the date of federation. Although I can understand people not wanting to lose a public holiday.


I agree with you John. Maybe we could have 2 days off; New years and Federation? We could celebrate 26 Jan as Foundation Day, giving due deferance to Aboriginal people and land taken by the Empire, at their expence.



I would rather they spread the holidays out to later in the year. We can still celebrate Jan 1, but celebrate it on another day. There are more than enough public holidays during xmas/new years and many people are already on holidays.

After all, we don't celebrate the queens birthday on her birthday, why can't the same principle apply
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Warthog
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2018, 23:39

Yeah no reason not to change.... it isn't set in stone.

Umm 1994 ? hmm wouldn't have anything to do with John Howard, would it.? :jump

Who's idea was that?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby pinkeye » 27 Jan 2018, 00:48

pinkeye wrote:Yeah no reason not to change.... it isn't set in stone.

Umm 1994 ? hmm wouldn't have anything to do with John Howard, would it.? :jump

Who's idea was that?


I heard a goodie the other day.... May 8 .... get it?
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby johnsmith » 27 Jan 2018, 18:39

pinkeye wrote: May 8


brilliant
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Warthog
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby pinkeye » 27 Jan 2018, 22:30

Thanks mate. :bgrin :thumb

Can't say it was my idea, but how Aussie is THAT.!! :)
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1310
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby BigOl64 » 28 Jan 2018, 18:06

HBS Guy wrote:When I was working in the PS (not when working in my own businesses) I hated the second half of the year—only one public holiday!

So the Republic of Australia should be declared on 1 August.



A public servant you say, yes endless hours, month after month staring out the window would be pretty hard on you.


A republic just so we have a public holiday that doesn't offend some minority group. One of your best ideas ever. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
User avatar
BigOl64
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 338
Joined: 29 Sep 2017, 11:35
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby johnsmith » 28 Jan 2018, 20:34

BigOl64 wrote:A republic just so we have a public holiday that doesn't offend some minority group.


who said 'just' you dopey bastard?

The public holiday is a bonus
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Warthog
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby mothra » 29 Jan 2018, 07:50

User avatar
mothra
Burn her!
 
Posts: 2782
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 18:47
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jan 2018, 08:01

BigOl64 wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:When I was working in the PS (not when working in my own businesses) I hated the second half of the year—only one public holiday!

So the Republic of Australia should be declared on 1 August.



A public servant you say, yes endless hours, month after month staring out the window would be pretty hard on you.


A republic just so we have a public holiday that doesn't offend some minority group. One of your best ideas ever. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl


Stereotype. I wasn’t even near a fucking window. Really, you do yourself no favors arguing in stereotypes.

No, we need to be a republic, to stand on our own two feet in appearance as well as in fact. Can still be a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. But public holidays are scarce in the second half of the year until 25th December.

And a the national public holiday should always be on a Monday—MUCH cheaper for industry to turn of turn on machines etc than turn off, turn on then turn off again for the weekend.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 45443
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: ? Day ?

Postby Lefty » 31 Jan 2018, 07:12

I haven't really given the issue much thought since the most I'll do on the day is go to a family BBQ. I wouldn't mind if it were moved to another date.

Stereotype. I wasn’t even near a fucking window. Really, you do yourself no favors arguing in stereotypes.


It saves him the trouble of actually thinking. I wonder if he's ever entertained the notion that the term "public servant" includes a wide variety of "useless" occupations such as police officer, fire fighter, school teacher, ambulance officer, nurse, doctor, medical researcher etc etc?
User avatar
Lefty
Bengal Tiger
 
Posts: 16583
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 10:34

Re: ? Day ?

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2018, 09:36

Doubt it.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 45443
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: ? Day ?

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 12:48

pinkeye wrote:Ok .. I'll put up the topic no-one really wants to acknowledge.

Is Australia Day being celebrated on 26 January an issue for you.??

Been hearing a lot about this myself ..from various sources.

I'll say that , in my opinion, this is the wrong date upon which to celebrate Australia Day.

What do you think?

No!
User avatar
MilesAway
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 12:51

johnsmith wrote:also, Jan 26 is not "Australia day', it's NSW day.

Australia day SHOULD be celebrated on 1 Jan, the date of federation. Although I can understand people not wanting to lose a public holiday.

So why is it called Australia day then?
User avatar
MilesAway
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 12:52

johnsmith wrote:By the way, Happy Australia day people.

Hope you all have a good one.

I got some stitches!

They come out today!

:beer
User avatar
MilesAway
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 12:55

johnsmith wrote:
BigOl64 wrote:A republic just so we have a public holiday that doesn't offend some minority group.


who said 'just' you dopey bastard?

The public holiday is a bonus

Watch out he’s got a gun and apparently he knows the fancy protocols that allow it to be pointed through the interwebs :bgrin
User avatar
MilesAway
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 12:57

User avatar
MilesAway
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Re: ? Day ?

Postby MilesAway » 31 Jan 2018, 13:01

Lefty wrote:I haven't really given the issue much thought since the most I'll do on the day is go to a family BBQ. I wouldn't mind if it were moved to another date.

Stereotype. I wasn’t even near a fucking window. Really, you do yourself no favors arguing in stereotypes.


It saves him the trouble of actually thinking. I wonder if he's ever entertained the notion that the term "public servant" includes a wide variety of "useless" occupations such as police officer, fire fighter, school teacher, ambulance officer, nurse, doctor, medical researcher etc etc?

Out in the bush if you die you die... what do you need a flaming quack for?

I’d like to know where he gets his fancy guns from but..... fashion the barrel and mechanism out of wood with a stone tool I suppose :bgrin

Pebbles for ammunition,... bobs your stupid uncle :beer
User avatar
MilesAway
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:01
spamone: Animal

Next

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests