Rise of the slaughterbots

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Rise of the slaughterbots

Postby Lefty » 17 Jan 2018, 06:32

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Re: Rise of the slaughterbots

Postby johnsmith » 17 Jan 2018, 12:26

it's a worry if you ask me.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Lefty » 18 Jan 2018, 07:58

Yes, very worrying. Ok, we can assume that regardless of any treaties that may be signed, the technology will continue to be developed anyway - but the implications here are profound.

It's true that for quite a few decades, the world as we know it has been able to be snuffed out at the push of the nuclear button but this is something different. The potential for virtually anyone to acquire the technology to have a tiny, autonomous killing machine hunt down and execute any individual, anywhere, any time by programming their biometric details into it - pretty frightening stuff.

This tiny drone is what a real Terminator looks like - far, far more deadly than a cyborg with a thick accent.

Posession of such weapons would make those in charge virtual gods - able to strike anyone dead at any moment.

As an aside, I have a relative who had an argument with a neighbour a while back. A couple of months ago, he and mate were sitting outside at night getting into the rum and his mate went for a piss and heard an unusual noise - and spotted a drone hovering about 20 feet away, watching them. It took off into the night as soon as the operator realised his drone had been spotted. Relative thinks it belongs to his weirdo neighbour with whom he argued. The ability for anybody to spy on anybody - both what they are doing and what they are saying - is here now.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2018, 09:05

I take it the mate was watering the lemon tree? :roll :bgrin
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 18 Jan 2018, 09:38

HBS Guy wrote:I take it the mate was watering the lemon tree? :roll :bgrin

And then some I think :bgrin Cousin and his mates do like their home made rum/scotch/vodka/gin/kahlua......anything really :bgrin

Hmm - I reckon existing legislation would say that it's rather illegal for Joe Bloggs to send a surveillance device onto another persons property, either remotely controlled by human operator or an autonomous self-piloting drone.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Jan 2018, 10:33

I would love to buy a drone, fly it all around my block (only the vacant land other side of the main highway and towards the coast.) Look for drainage patterns etc.

Could be fun too, help with the fishing maybe? Thinking of a boat to muck around on the river in. Canoe or kayak maybe. Small sail boat, probably not.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jan 2018, 13:06

Lefty wrote:

And then some I think :bgrin Cousin and his mates do like their home made rum/scotch/vodka/gin/kahlua......anything really :bgrin

Hmm - I reckon existing legislation would say that it's rather illegal for Joe Bloggs to send a surveillance device onto another persons property, either remotely controlled by human operator or an autonomous self-piloting drone.

tell them to keep a sling shot handy, and shoot the damn thing out of the sky the next time it appears. They can get expensive and after the neighbour loses one or two he might get the message.
Might also help police trace the owner if they had the actual drone .
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jan 2018, 13:07

Lefty wrote:

Existing legislation says it's illegal to fly a drone over or near someones residence ... not sure of the actual minimum distances required offhand
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jan 2018, 13:08

Lefty wrote:Yes, very worrying. Ok, we can assume that regardless of any treaties that may be signed, the technology will continue to be developed anyway - but the implications here are profound.

People will be able to build their own and target any politician they like.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 15:36

Lefty wrote:

Proof?

:beer
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 15:36

MilesAway wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Proof?

...the burden of proof :rain :rain :rain :yak yak
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 15:39

johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:

tell them to keep a sling shot handy, and shoot the damn thing out of the sky the next time it appears. They can get expensive and after the neighbour loses one or two he might get the message.

What if you miss and put a marble through the bikies house over the road?

......Burden of proof!........

:OMG
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 15:42

johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Existing legislation says it's illegal to fly a drone over or near someones residence ... not sure of the actual minimum distances required offhand

Burden of proof... once the stalkers got ya number no judge can save you from that night prowler!

The drones are small and fast... escape is the key to attack... call it self defense for the aggressively minded!!

:huh
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 15:44

johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:Yes, very worrying. Ok, we can assume that regardless of any treaties that may be signed, the technology will continue to be developed anyway - but the implications here are profound.

People will be able to build their own and target any politician they like.

Oh noes : what if Sarah Palin hears about this stuff :gsp ???
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby Lefty » 18 Jan 2018, 16:19

MilesAway wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Proof?

All I can think of is to try and be quick enough to capture it with a photo or video footage on your mobile, we all carry one nowadays. You have then have evidence that a drone was flying about your private property. You may also be able to zoom in on identifying features. Knowing that his espionage device is being recorded on camera with the accompanying possibility - however small - that something could potentially be identified and traced back to them may be enough to make the drone owner think twice about spying on others in their own homes.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 17:26

Lefty wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Proof?

All I can think of is to try and be quick enough to capture it with a photo or video footage on your mobile, we all carry one nowadays. You have then have evidence that a drone was flying about your private property. You may also be able to zoom in on identifying features. Knowing that his espionage device is being recorded on camera with the accompanying possibility - however small - that something could potentially be identified and traced back to them may be enough to make the drone owner think twice about spying on others in their own homes.

Sounds like a burden to me :beer
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jan 2018, 18:15

MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:

practice beforehand
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 18 Jan 2018, 18:16

MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Burden of proof... once the stalkers got ya number no judge can save you from that night prowler!

The drones are small and fast... escape is the key to attack... call it self defense for the aggressively minded!!

you don't need to prove anything, that's the cops job. You only need to report it.
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 21:27

johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:

practice beforehand

You mean I should start practising now and forever?

Sounds like I’m the hunted....
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby MilesAway » 18 Jan 2018, 21:28

johnsmith wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:

you don't need to prove anything, that's the cops job. You only need to report it.

Fair enough!
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby Lefty » 19 Jan 2018, 07:23

An example of the good things that can be done with drones - saving lives

So of course it's not all bad - drone technology has a great number of good uses. Drones themselves are highly useful. Only problem is that their potential for misuse also appears very high - they are the perfect vehicle to turn into an autonomous weapon, which is what the issue is all about, not drones per se.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby MilesAway » 20 Jan 2018, 20:21

Lefty wrote:An example of the good things that can be done with drones - saving lives

So of course it's not all bad - drone technology has a great number of good uses. Drones themselves are highly useful. Only problem is that their potential for misuse also appears very high - they are the perfect vehicle to turn into an autonomous weapon, which is what the issue is all about, not drones per se.

A bit like cutlery!
MilesAway
Cheetah

Postby Lefty » 21 Jan 2018, 08:39

MilesAway wrote:
Lefty wrote:An example of the good things that can be done with drones - saving lives

A bit like cutlery!

Yep, except that we can live without drones. We can't live without cutlery without things getting messy - imagine eating custard with your fingers :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby johnsmith » 21 Jan 2018, 08:42

Lefty wrote:
MilesAway wrote:

A bit like cutlery!

Yep, except that we can live without drones. We can't live without cutlery without things getting messy - imagine eating custard with your fingers :jump

the Chinese seemed to have done alright without cutlery :hlo
FD.
johnsmith
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jan 2018, 08:43

They have cutlery: soup spoons and chopsticks.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics