This one is ineligible by marriage!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

This one is ineligible by marriage!

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2017, 08:54

Citizenship crisis: Turnbull government MP Nola Marino may be an Italian citizen by marriage

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-crisis-turnbull-government-mp-nola-marino-may-be-an-italian-citizen-by-marriage-20171109-gzig4g.html

I am laughing so much my stomach hurts!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: This one is ineligible by marriage!

Postby Bam » 11 Nov 2017, 09:29

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Either we need to change the Constitution, or we need to amend our citizenship laws to abolish dual citizenship.
Bam
puppy

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Nov 2017, 09:48

Or the Parties do proper checks. Seems Labor does but not the other Parties.

People got slack over time is all.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bam » 11 Nov 2017, 12:44

I don't object to due diligence. When that "due diligence" requires knowledge of the country of origin for all of one's ancestors a few generations back and also knowledge of the citizenship laws of numerous countries, problems will exist sooner or later.

Eligibility for the Australian Parliament should rely solely on the laws of Australia. Other countries' laws should be irrelevant. They're not, that's the problem.
Bam
puppy

Postby Francis » 11 Nov 2017, 13:07

There is nothing wrong with the constitution. Its like trying to blame the speed sign if you get caught breaking the law and speeding.

What we need is for the special minister for state to stop waiver the penalty of repayments of all salary and entitlements.

Once they lose money they will follow the constitution to the full letter of the law.

Till than they couldn't care
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby MilesAway » 11 Nov 2017, 14:10

Bam wrote:This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Either we need to change the Constitution, or we need to amend our citizenship laws to abolish dual citizenship.

Sack the government: this is anarchy!

We're going to an election :beer
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby Aussie » 11 Nov 2017, 16:42

Bam wrote:This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Disagree, Bam. My youngest (step) daughter married a Pom, giving her automatically, rights in the UK. All these people have to do is quite simple...READ the Nomination Form they sign when they apply to be a candidate in any election. Attention is dramatically drawn to S.44, and if you are married to a Wog, born overseas, surely it would dawn on anyone.....'Gee I better check out whether I too am also a Wog.'

Nah, stuff them and donkeys they rode in on. These people reckon they can 'run' a country, yet they fail at a most basic level of 'intelligence/common sense.'
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Return to Politics