The refugees are in a state of terror on Manus

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Postby mothra » 01 Nov 2017, 17:12

Tuesday 31 October
Last night the refugees were up until the early hours of the morning. You see, the department of immigration posted a document on the fences in the prison warning us that we only have until 5pm to exit the camp. If we remain we will be confronted with soldiers from the navy.

This is a serious warning. It is a warning of impeding danger that has sent the refugees spiralling into terror. This is what has impelled the refugees to stay up until the morning. At 5am all the local and Australian guards have abandoned the camp. For the whole day there has not been a single person inside or around the parameters of the camp to protect the refugees. The situation has descended into an even worse crisis. At the same time we are receiving news from outside that the soldiers and police have armed themselves. The whole precarious situation has been militarised in a terribly perverse manner. However, no one knows for sure if the police and navy want to attack the refugees, or if they want to set upon the locals who have stolen everything from around the rim of the camp.

Many of the locals have now entered the camp and are taking away whatever they can. The situation is perilous, it is volatile to such an extent that the refugees have been forced to lock the gates from the inside because of the possibility of an attack at any moment. The refugees are in a state of terror, but they have announced that they refuse to quit and leave the camp for Lorengau.

After a few hours Senator Nick McKim and an ABC reporter enter the camp. Their presence here has instilled a sense of safety among the refugees. A number of refugees represent the drama that is unfolding here; they shed tears as they stand face-to-face with the ABC cameras. The other refugees feel that those few are reflecting the anguish felt by everyone else, those few shed tears that channel the sorrows of hundreds of refugees.

The senator and ABC reporters have now left the camp, and the refugees once again have to grapple with the isolation. As I write, the refugees are engaged in a large meeting inside Delta camp; they have all decided not to leave the prison and continue resisting through peaceful means. The situation has reached a critical juncture, right now there is not enough food and water here – at 5pm they will also cut off the power. The hours that await us are going to be extremely harrowing intensely dangerous.

Right now, the atmosphere in the camp is particularly unstable – an attack by the police and navy is imminent. The refugees are drawing on all their resources, their ingenuity and their sense of brotherhood to protect themselves from danger. Everyone realises that they have been abandoned and that this system, and this system alone, will dictate their fate. Constant anxiety, constant terror, constant aggression, constant affliction, unrelenting affliction. There is nowhere to go and various threats encircle the incarcerated refugees – we sense the malignance of the navy, the fury of police, we sense the unpredictability and volatility of the locals.

We’re facing all these threats at the same time as feeling a deep sense of abandonment. Recently the refugees have repaired the fences that had been destroyed by the fallen tree in order to restore some security. But the fear of locals entering the camp has become a reality now with numerous people entering the prison and looting it. Security is the greatest danger that we face right now – no one feels safe in any way whatsoever and the threat of an attack looms over the prison and is deteriorating the fortitude of the refugees. Everyone here has gathered in Mike camp to discuss options and strategies – there is no choice but to gather here and find ways to support each other. The only thing left to do is find ways to resist if something were to happen suddenly.

We have heard that around 200 locals have also gathered in East Lorengau outside the camp. They are protesting against our transfer to this new facility. They are shouting and protesting against removing us out of the current prison and into their community.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/31/the-refugees-are-in-a-state-of-terror-on-manus-behrouz-boochani?CMP=soc_567
mothra
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Re: The refugees are in a state of terror on Manus

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 17:18

I'm very concerned. We put them there we must ensure there protection.

I have a very bad feeling about this :sad
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 17:20

Our government must intervene , and quickly...I'm writing a email now too Dutton :h
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby MilesAway » 01 Nov 2017, 17:56

Francis wrote:Our government must intervene , and quickly...I'm writing a email now too Dutton :h

No point: you are right to have a bad feeling but because that feeling is so bad it will get sorted out quickly now the legal time frames have stretched beyond the point where water is being stored in garbage bins.

Much of the aid in these islands centres around microbiology and this is not being tolerated by literally tens of thousands of highly qualified public servants as we speak!

You can take that to the bank : it's just more nasty showmanship from th blue blooded conservatives but in the end they don't want a political meltdown between the subjects of disease and desperation as their legacy!

I'd expect real progress by tonight!
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 20:31

Fingers crossed it isnt too little too late.
I imagine they must feel very scared and alone.

Corner 600 men and they could fight like hell!

Really, how did this situation be allowed get too this ?

I know I'm mad always writing emails to pollies..but I ask the questions and they have to reply.

Hopeful they think about the reply and avoid me asking the questions again !
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby MilesAway » 01 Nov 2017, 20:36

Francis wrote:Fingers crossed it isnt too little too late.
I imagine they must feel very scared and alone.

Corner 600 men and they could fight like hell!

Really, how did this situation be allowed get too this ?

I know I'm mad always writing emails to pollies..but I ask the questions and they have to reply.

Hopeful they think about the reply and avoid me asking the questions again !

You have to do things as you see fit,fair enough!

I'm simply saying once you have hundreds of people storing drinking water in garbage bins it becomes a globally recognised reality!
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 21:15

When the PNG armed forces bash and kill them the world will ask why?

They must be terrified and ready to fight
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby mothra » 01 Nov 2017, 21:16

Francis wrote:When the PNG armed forces bash and kill them the world will ask why?

I can't imagine how scared they must be.

I honestly can't believe this is actually happening.
mothra
Pitbull terrier

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 21:18

Dutton or Turnbull need to intervene NOW
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby MilesAway » 01 Nov 2017, 22:00

Certainly, 10 million plus Aussie voters won't let this slide... stagnant water is now involved!

Where is world vision I ask you???
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby Francis » 01 Nov 2017, 22:33

Don't be too worried about the water.

Its batons and guns that concern me.

We must have a duty of care ?

We put them there!
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby pinkeye » 02 Nov 2017, 00:13

mothra wrote:
Francis wrote:When the PNG armed forces bash and kill them the world will ask why?

I can't imagine how scared they must be.

I honestly can't believe this is actually happening.

It is, and will be , a huge abrogation by the Govt of it's Duty of Care. The more I hear, the sadder I am. WE allowed this.......... Mr Dutton NOW SOLELY HOLDS THESE LIVES IN HIS HANDS. You know what... he doesn't care. His heart is stone.
We, the people have allowed our govt(s) to perpetrate this horror. MANY OF US have APPLAUDED it. I will not invoke Godwin's Law, but I am ashamed of being Australian. Lets NOT BE like the FOLK OF THAT NATION, and ignore and DENY TRUTH.! :sad :sad :sad
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Nov 2017, 09:47

The thing is: the flow of ASs has stopped, boat turnbacks did that and now people feel secure enough to feel sorry for the remaining ASs on Manus/Nauru. A sensible govt would bring them here and end the drain of money and harvest the resulting goodwill.

The Libs are just too hidebound to realise the turnaround in feelings in the electorate and too weak and divided to do anything useful in any case.

Social media might be the way to achieve something for the remaining refugees.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 02 Nov 2017, 13:57

Francis wrote:Don't be too worried about the water.

Its batons and guns that concern me.

We must have a duty of care ?

We put them there!

3 days without water is all it takes to die!

That means situations turn to guns and batons for need of resolution sooner rather than later!

Then there's potential disease arising from stagnant water sources....let alone the fact this is all taking place in a part of the world full of incurable disease!

.... The world is watching! :oops
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby Francis » 02 Nov 2017, 14:26

Watching but do they care?

Heard on the radio today that the men had been left to guard the women's designer handbags and clothes that they couldn't carry!

Its just ridiculous that these types of statements can be called news
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Nov 2017, 17:02

That is too stupid! Christ, if women did come with high fashion items—unlikely—they would have bartered them for food, medicine etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 04 Nov 2017, 00:58

HBS Guy wrote:That is too stupid! Christ, if women did come with high fashion items—unlikely—they would have bartered them for food, medicine etc.

The only news I am hearing is , basically, nil. They are still there last I heard. What the fuck is Australia DOING.?

NZ has AGAIN offered to take some of these men. Any response.? I think the GOVERNMENT IS PARALYSED ON ALL FRONTS.
Major Meltdown.
:roll
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Nov 2017, 08:09

Dutton doesn’t care, probably gets off on the situation, turdfull dare not move, might be dumped as PM. We rely on the Liberal backbench to see sense.

Sunday the NZ PM meets turdfull, maybe she will take all 600? turdful can’t refuse.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Nov 2017, 10:14

Manus authorities ‘turn away food aid’ as humanitarian crisis deepens

Greg Barns, an Australian lawyer acting for the men, said lawyers would now add to that claim a submission the men’s constitutional “right to life” had been breached by authorities who refused to allow food aid into the centre.

“As we understand it, Good Samaritans are trying to deliver food and water to the men in the centre. They are being refused access [by PNG military guarding the centre]. This is an egregious breach of the rights of these men under the PNG constitution,” Mr Barns told Fairfax Media.

“There are serious levels of starvation. Some people haven’t eaten for days.”

Mr Barns described the situation as a “full-blown humanitarian crisis”.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/starvation-manus-authorities-turn-away-food-aid-as-humanitarian-crisis-deepens-20171103-gze7nm.html

Dutton just shrugs and says it’s PNG’s problem now.

https://pbxmastragics.com/2017/10/27/well-they-didnt-hold-mal/comment-page-20/#comment-282113
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 04 Nov 2017, 15:23

HBS Guy wrote:Dutton doesn’t care, probably gets off on the situation, turdfull dare not move, might be dumped as PM. We rely on the Liberal backbench to see sense.

Sunday the NZ PM meets turdfull, maybe she will take all 600? turdful can’t refuse.

They won't take all 600... that would be seen as disrespectful and crossing a line!
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Nov 2017, 16:56

They could take all 600, resettle some elsewhere.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 04 Nov 2017, 20:31

It begs disbelief that Australia can't take them!

I fully believe now that the situation has been set up as a circuit breaker for the government over its dual citizenship scandal and as a promotion for its hard line on boarder security

Its terrible how low our government can go to hide it's own illegal politicians
Francis
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Nov 2017, 21:45

turdfull still won’t allow NZ to take any. A scared little bastard terrified the right wing nutjobs will boot him out the PM position.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 05 Nov 2017, 01:13

HBS Guy wrote:turdfull still won’t allow NZ to take any. A scared little bastard terrified the right wing nutjobs will boot him out the PM position.

AGREE. There is this dichotomy in existence within the Liberal Party. The Nationals arent that sophisticated. :roll 'It IS the Liberal Powerbrokers... those FUCKING DIRTY OLD MEN. !! :mad :mad ~ BOOT THEM out altogether. Turnbull has been such a disappointment for ALL AUSTRALIANS, whatever their agenda. Lets face it.. WE DO NOT HAVE A FUNCTIONING GOVERNMENT.!!
And never let it be said the Nationals are CAPABLE of Govt. Such a suggestion is a joke. And a bad one at that.

SO... here we are people. A land of flood and soaking rain, of drought and no rain. We DO NOT NEED A GOVERNMENT THAT WARS ON ITS CITIZENS.

HOWARD has had his day. PLEASE bury the CUNT.. and all his fucking dirty plans. BURY HIM. Never to be heard from again. BURY ABBOTT.. Howard's Altar Boy. BURY HIM. Never to be heard from again.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Nov 2017, 08:25

THAT is going to take some doing!

There is still so much of Howard in the Budget, choking it of funds.

Do away with negative gearing, halve the CGT exemption

Do away with the Private Health Care rebate! If people want private health let them pay for it, no need for the government to!

Adjust the PAYE rates, Costello cut them too bloody much! Increase the tax free threshold so those on lowest incomes can have more spending money! Libs cut the rates/increase the threshold for the top rate but don’t care about the lowest rate.

Retirees on SMSF can damn well pay tax on their income like everybody else! A lot of the capital is government rebates which go to the top 20% by income!

Increase the award super rate to ease claims on the age pension.

Do away with the Jobs Network, restart the CES! As both jobseeker and employer I know the CES was good, Job Network was shit! When I went on the Invalid Pension I had to go to this mob to make me “work ready” and it was a total waste of time! As an employer I got a horde of semi qualified applicants for a vacancy from the Job Network, the CES would send over 2-3 qualified people!

Do away with most of the Work for the Dole etc. A Jobs Guarantee is good as long as workers comp, super and real wages are paid and meaningful training made available. Yes, there ARE bludgers! I used to rent rooms to them back in the 80s but why penalise EVERYBODY on the dole when there is so much un and underemployment about? Waste of money.

Living on the dole as a career isn’t much fun: share accommodation is needed so forget privacy, forget eating meat, dress yourself from opshops etc. Few chose it as a lifechoice so why act as if 100% do it?

Save a lot of money going to the top 20%, use some of that to increase NewStart by $50 or $100 a week. That will get spending started!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics