NBN 2

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: NBN 2

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2018, 01:09

PLUS

Living in a poorly serviced area, I used to rely on my Landline phone for access to the outside world, and services available over the phone. IF the power was out, for a day or a week (its happened) I could still use that Landline.

NOW... that isn't possible. :mad
BECAUSE the NBN steals the copper network, the phone only works when the NBN is working. !!
So.. it drops out everyday, unpredictably...where once it was rock solid access to external assistance. I have a security system which relied on that Landline. It has cost me money I can't afford to pay, to totally change it.

A genuine safety issue has been totally shat on by the NBN and The government.
And this happens all the time. No NBN No Landline. I pay for this so-called service, because I must by Law. It seems extremely unjust, and a backward step, to operate a country's internet service on this basis.

That means ... power out? towers out NO COMMUNICATION!!!!!
Think major storms. :roll :roll :jump

THIS APPLIES TO EVERYONE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 07:00

pinkeye wrote:PLUS

Living in a poorly serviced area, I used to rely on my Landline phone for access to the outside world, and services available over the phone. IF the power was out, for a day or a week (its happened) I could still use that Landline.

BECAUSE the NBN steals the copper network, the phone only works when the NBN is working. !!
So.. it drops out everyday, unpredictably...where once it was rock solid access to external assistance. I have a security system which relied on that Landline. It has cost me money I can't afford to pay, to totally change it.

And this happens all the time. No NBN No Landline. I pay for this so-called service, because I must by Law. It seems extremely unjust, and a backward step, to operate a country's internet service on this basis.

No matter how many times it gets said, it still can't be said to often - MTM is the worst fuck up of infrastructure delivery in Australia's history. They have fucked every aspect of it to bollocks and beyond.

Getting more advertising in the mail now in preparation for this farce being switched on in my area in a couple of months time, first from TGP now from iNet. Telstra technician told wife that our house is about as far from the node as it's possible to get so I won't even bother until they force us over.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby pinkeye » 13 Feb 2018, 23:39

Lefty wrote:

No matter how many times it gets said, it still can't be said to often - MTM is the worst fuck up of infrastructure delivery in Australia's history. They have fucked every aspect of it to bollocks and beyond.

Getting more advertising in the mail now in preparation for this farce being switched on in my area in a couple of months time, first from TGP now from iNet. Telstra technician told wife that our house is about as far from the node as it's possible to get so I won't even bother until they force us over.

Yep. That was advice to everyone I knew who hadn't signed up and switched the NBN.

I had a power cut, due to extreme weather on Sunday. It went out at 6pm Sunday and I got it back this morning.. 3.42 am.

Thats what ? 33 hrs.42 mins? I am entitled to be paid compensation from the Provider .. it will happen automatically. Its happened before.
So anyway I had to impose on a good neighbour who had a generator, to save some valuable protein in my freezer, but I lost a fair bit of food. Thrown out.

I had no internet and limited access to the outside due to my mobile ph charge going down. In fact, I asked my neighbour to charge my ph as well, so I would have SOME communication available.

My MAIN complaint, other than the abysmal service reliability, IS

I once had a Landline. DIDN'T MATTER if the POWER was OUT.!!!
I had a connection.!!
NOW....?

OH
so sorry
n b n
does not allow that
nothing can be done
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 14 Feb 2018, 01:24

This MAY be stating the obvious,
BUT......

OUR GOVT departments, offices etc... DO NOT USE the NBN.
They all have their own intranet. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT.!!!

Just imagine?? if the government had to use a similar system.?? The Country would be FUCKED within ONE WEEK.

The NBN is for us suckers... very manageable by govt. Very easy to obtain metadata.

The various govt departments etc.. are not bothered by the NBN, because THEY ARE NOT FORCED TO USE IT.!!

UNLIKE US. :emb :emb :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 14 Feb 2018, 08:29

pinkeye wrote:
OUR GOVT departments, offices etc... DO NOT USE the NBN.

that says it all right there

although one department that was recently moved to Armidale has had to resort to meeting at McDonalds just to access Maccas free wifi cause Barnaby Joyce is a moron who moved them to somewhere with no internet
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2018, 11:31

This is an RSP worth considering for your connection.

Total transparency, see the traffic and CVC:

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/82130-aussie-broadband-opens-up-cvc-graphs-to-subscribers.html

Aussie Broadband—great move! Great RSP (from what I have read on Whirlpool etc.)
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2018, 11:34

Laugh till you cry: Foxtel will go exclusively by satellite, HFC not reliable enough.

How would you feel if you were Malcolm turdfull, killed the NBN and our future prosperity with it to please Merde-och and now is told HFC is an unreliable mess. Suicide must look as an attractive option with bad NewsPoll #30 coming up.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby RightSaidFred » 21 Mar 2018, 09:43

Well they are not going to maintain the copper network.
The NBN will be legacy soon too 4G prices are dropping and I get great coverage where I am and 5G is coming but NBN is not here where I live
Internet does require power, apparently most greenies are unaware of the huge energy data-centres use.
RightSaidFred
puppy

Postby RightSaidFred » 21 Mar 2018, 09:47

HBS Guy wrote:Laugh till you cry: Foxtel will go exclusively by satellite, HFC not reliable enough.

How would you feel if you were Malcolm turdfull, killed the NBN and our future prosperity with it to please Merde-och and now is told HFC is an unreliable mess. Suicide must look as an attractive option with bad NewsPoll #30 coming up.

I use Cable 100% coax and I use Netflix, amazon and Foxtel all work good on 100% cable.
NBN seems to be unreliable due t the rush they doing to roll it out before it becomes obsolete.
I do a lot of business travel I also do the same on 4G which getting cheap ..... most places I go the 4G is very reliable even worked well up in Cairns.
RightSaidFred
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Mar 2018, 10:10

My landline was crap then stopped working. Told NBN Co to take a flying jump and am on wireless broadband. Not flash but very stable.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby RightSaidFred » 22 Mar 2018, 08:06

HBS Guy wrote:My landline was crap then stopped working. Told NBN Co to take a flying jump and am on wireless broadband. Not flash but very stable.

The NBN will soon be legacy yet they have not even rolled it out to where I am, we are a safe seat low on the ALP pork barrelling list.
I have yet to have the chance to complain about its poor roll out :-)
I use Kogan 4G when travelling (7 months last year) which I currently get 23GB / Month x2 (phone and Tablet) at $30 a piece.
I currently have Optus Cable which works great but will also be obsolete when 5G comes, the killer will be 4G will get even cheaper.

We still have a land line only the the Luddite monster-in-law rings that line.
RightSaidFred
puppy

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2018, 08:16

The number of times this furphy pops up!

Wireless can never supply the bandwidth that landline can, especially FTTH, it does not have the spectrum. Fibre has spectrum to burn.

G5 needs fibre to each tower and the towers need to be 600 metres apart. The real NBN would have allowed G5 to shine.

No, we need a FTTH network to support business, to allow telecommuting—and telecommuting would allow people to escape the poorly serviced, high crime areas of our big cities. FTTH provides the grunt, wireless is great for those on the road.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2018, 08:35

The copper network being rolled out by the Libs cannot support industry, certainly industry beyond a corner shop that might have a facebook page and maybe a Twitter presence. There is congestion built into every bit of it:

1. The copper is too thin, making it high impedance

2. The copper is too corroded not having been properly maintained for decades

1. and 2. mean that signals get corrupted/lose strength and so packets have to be resent.

3. The nodes are WAY under–provided with fibre: if everyone was busy on the net/downloading Netflix only 5mbps (or less) would be available to each premises.

4. CVC charge would have been eliminated by now with the FTTH network and now NBN Co is struggling to reduce this price but it will have an impact on revenue.

5. 101 POIs a STUPID decision by ACCC, giving in to special interest pleading by the big telcos. Means backhaul from the POIs is limited for smaller players

The MTM as this collection of various crap copper networks is called is a temporary network: it will have to be redone with FTTH. Yes, even if G5 is rolled out: to have high capacity wireless broadband you need high capacity links back to the internet and that means fibre!

Fixed wireless is hopeless. Why? Backhaul from the towers is via microwave, not fibre. Microwave just does not have enough spectrum to supply enough capacity: the decision by the turdfull cronies on the NBN board was taken for ideological reasons, anything but fibre! Even the Fibre on Demand program was renamed Technology Choice—and denied to nearly all applicants.

Satellite is hopeless. Why? Partly the huge latency (signal travels all the way to the satellite then all the way down to an earth station then travels to the rest of the internet. Partly because NBN Co puts anyone on it that is a bit difficult. Satellite is WAY oversubscribed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby RightSaidFred » 22 Mar 2018, 10:20

Cherie wrote:Does this sound right to you Monk
?

Turnbull is blaming Labor for NBN failure- this comment sounded pretty accurate-

"No Malcolm, your politicisation of the NBN is what has ruined its chances of ever making a decent return.

FTTP was predicted to involve a higher CAPEX, but a far lower OPEX than the multi-technology-mix which NBNco staff internally labelled "Operation Clusterfuck".

Instead, what we have now is a disaster of your doing. The NBN's MTM completion is now predicted to cost above and beyond even the most fanciful predictions for fibre to the premises.

FTTP would have made a 7% p.a. ROI for the government. Effectively, it wouldn't have even cost the taxpayer a cent - it would have actually made money.

Operation Clusterfuck has instead given us a dud network that won't make a return at more than $50 Billion already... and it's not even finished.

Your decisions as Communications Minister have doomed Australia to fall behind the rest of the world. And for what? Short-term political gain at the expense of Australia's future prosperity?

There ought to be a Royal Commission into the decision making process behind this economic treason

Its pretty straight forward the Hybrid Fibre NBN is a financial flop (ignoring the NBN incompetence on the roll out) a fibre to the house would have been a massive financial disaster. Is like arguing about two pieces of crap .... which one stinks more :-)
Fact is on technology governments are bad at picking winners.
RightSaidFred
puppy

Postby johnsmith » 22 Mar 2018, 11:28

RightSaidFred wrote:a fibre to the house would have been a massive financial disaster.

rubbish. it would have been well worth whatever it cost in increased productivity alone, economic forecasts on the effects of nbn to economy, for fibre to the home, were predicting an up to $9.5 BILLION increase in GDP annually, let alone resale value when govt decided to privatise nbn co..

As it is no one will pay full value for mixed crap turdball put in because it would cost them double that amount to fix it all properly. The govt. will have to virtually give it away so as to wash it's hands of ongoing problems.

They ran nbn (coax) through the residential complex I live in last year. For the last few months no one has been able to swap to nbn because it's fucked. All new connections are now on hold. Eventually, they'll come back and replace the coax with fibre, something the installers told me they'd more than likely do before he even started installing the coax. He was happy though, he was going to get paid twice.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jul 2018, 08:26

https://www.afr.com/technology/web/nbn/sp-nbn-20180724-h132tf

Global credit ratings agency S&P Global Ratings has released a damning assessment of the National Broadband Network's long-term commercial viability, saying a politically damaging government write-down is now "inevitable".

In a stinging analysis S&P said NBN Co's current expectations about customer uptake were unrealistic without major changes to its pricing model, and forecast significant competitive mobile infrastructure investment by local telecommunications firms would hit NBN's prospects.

The analysis said that while NBN would likely achieve the two key policy aims of bridging the digital divide between metropolitan and regional areas and engineering the structural separation of Telstra, it was doing so at an enormous cost to taxpayers, subscribers, and incumbent telecommunications providers.

While it said mobile networks like 5G would not supplant NBN in the near future, it warned technology advances, NBN pricing and telco investment in mobile technology raised a "worst-case scenario where the NBN will be relegated to the network of last resort".

This was inevitable when the Libs announced the switch to copper. The copper that was so bad that they have recently bought 21,000Km of new copper. You could weep at the waste, the throttling of the economy etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Politics