NBN 2

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: NBN 2

Postby MilesAway » 28 Oct 2017, 23:23

HBS Guy wrote:OK, ahahahaha

Will add your good news story and Aussie’s whinging about his impending FTTN crap.

Otherwise why not send an email of your experiences and concerns to Michellle when I send this email? Gives you time to draft something up. You could copy my email and put your story above it. Or something.

Assuming it survives the desperate Lib govt GetUp should be involved in lobbying for FTTH to be rolled out.

Get up is a feminist joke!
MilesAway
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby MilesAway » 28 Oct 2017, 23:30

Aussie wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Schools and hospitals should be fibred up ASAP and I would even give rural areas priority here: they need it much more than city business/hospitals/schools do.

In SA cooperate with the GigCity rollout the State Govt is doing.

Priority, yes.....good point.

I don't want the NBN....I don't need the NBN......if it is fucked and replaces what I know works.

Yes....take it to essential (as opposed to domestic/leisure) places first. Make that work, and when you can assure me that it will work....when you FORCE me to take it....I will be a happy camper. Don't FORCE me to cop your shit product!

Why fuck me around when I have a perfectly serviceable product and have zero need for this bastard.....WHICH DOES NOT WORK anyway!

Yay, way to get passionate about this stupid f'n country :beer

This is our kids future we are talking about: it's about our legacy and what we are or are not giving :beer
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby MilesAway » 28 Oct 2017, 23:34

HBS Guy wrote:I understand that! My copper is so crap the landline stopped working, tried a new phone and all. Am on wireless broadband, 12:1. Bit basic but consistent. Be on FTTH in Tassie! Yeah!

My auntie lives in tassie: nice!
Last edited by MilesAway on 28 Oct 2017, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby MilesAway » 28 Oct 2017, 23:37

HBS Guy wrote:Coax, only if there is HFC there AND Aussie has a lead in, i.e. is connected to HFC (Telstra cable.)

If there is some private fibre nearby you might get FTTB, Fibre to the Basement, only a bit of copper, good speed.

Yeah, so apparently fibre to the basement is like the second best solution out of all of the options?!!?

Sounds like Aussie might not lose out too bad compared to the majority, yes/no?
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Oct 2017, 02:06

In a block of MDUs, the copper is inside, protected from the weather so in better shape than the Telstra copper. Mind—some cheapskate developers put in very thin copper, FTTB not good then.

Conroy should have let NBN Co use FTTB for blocks of MDUs, have more fibre. Bloody strata body corporations bastards to deal with.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 05:21

“For example, for a $60 retail plan (which many service providers claim is the limit of many consumers’ willingness to pay for broadband services), the NBN charges represent 72 percent of the retail price,” the ACCC said.

“As such, service providers (and retail prices for consumers) are highly vulnerable to any changes in these input costs.”

One of the main components of the price is the connectivity virtual circuit (CVC), a bandwidth charge which grows depending on network usage.

Currently, RSPs buy on average just 1.084 Mbps of CVC per user on the NBN.

NBN Co CEO Bill Morrow has said he wants to see RSPs double their combined purchase of CVC to at least 2 Mbps per user, given that would improve end user experiences and also resolve some of NBN Co’s profitability problems.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/accc-casts-doubt-on-future-nbn-profits-476458

With ubiquitous FTTH the CVC charge would be gone by now.

With the crap service people have now who is going to pay more than an ADSL2 $60/month? With FTTH yes, service is good (apart from slowdown in peak hours due to CVC issues.) People know by now that NBN Co is incompetent and untrustworthy—too many horror stories arouns—and know the copper is crap and getting worse everytime it rains enough to fill the pits with water! NBN Co is going to have to cut the price for CVC by a huge margin.

But that exposes how crap the copper is and the congestion built into each node. And it lets FTTH just fly!

Idiots have dug themselves a deep hole. They were told, they were advised but turdfull just wanted to run out FTTN despite him knowing how crap the copper was. And business doesn’t want a bar of FTTN or HFC so NBN Co can’t lift revenue and ARPU. If it wasn’t impacting the ability of business to be productive and compete internationally it would be funny the bind turdfull has got himself into!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 05:32

This is what is wrong with the Lib NBN and NBN Co:

“We’d love people to be on 50Mbps. We think the 50Mbps plan is a good one. We think it satisfies almost every application and need of households that are out there today.

(IT News)

Look at that last word in the quote: today. They are spending $60Bn on a temporary network that can (barely) meet the needs of today. They should be looking to the bloody future!

And HM people can get 50mbps reliably? 20% of FTTN users, those with new copper and a short distance (not as the crow flies but as the cable runs) maybe.

But if a lot of people are streaming Netflix or YouTubes or downloading etc the 5mbps that is all a node can supply to everybody comes into play. All these ideas come to nothing because what they have rolled out is obsolete junk full of congestion points over old, rotten and too–thin copper.

Those on FTTH would LOVE congestion free 50mbps.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 31 Oct 2017, 16:50

HBS Guy wrote:This is what is wrong with the Lib NBN and NBN Co:

“We’d love people to be on 50Mbps. We think the 50Mbps plan is a good one. We think it satisfies almost every application and need of households that are out there today.

(IT News)

Look at that last word in the quote: today. They are spending $60Bn on a temporary network that can (barely) meet the needs of today. They should be looking to the bloody future!

And HM people can get 50mbps reliably? 20% of FTTN users, those with new copper and a short distance (not as the crow flies but as the cable runs) maybe.

But if a lot of people are streaming Netflix or YouTubes or downloading etc the 5mbps that is all a node can supply to everybody comes into play. All these ideas come to nothing because what they have rolled out is obsolete junk full of congestion points over old, rotten and too–thin copper.

Agreed, certainly that word 'today' sticks out like dogs-balls!

:roll
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby MilesAway » 31 Oct 2017, 16:53

HBS Guy wrote:This is what is wrong with the Lib NBN and NBN Co:

(IT News)

That's a very interesting figure of 5mbs you posted in your second last paragraph, btw... can you give a referred source for that?
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Oct 2017, 17:35

Have a search for NBN here or Whirlpool.

In a node there are two 1Gbps fibres, one for data going to the premises, one for the data from the houses to the internet. The DSLAM in the node serves either 192 copper lines or 352 copper lines from the one 1Gbps fibre.

Do the math:

1Gbps = 1000mbps

1000/192 = 5.2mbps or 1000/352 = 2.8mbps

Not everybody will be on the net BUT Netflix and the others means a LOT of streaming of video is being done and many are on LESS than 5.2mbps at night! Some less than 2.8mbps! This is congestion at the node, but congestion due to CVC is more in play. But halve the CVC—still not much better due to node congestion!

NBN Co better be planning to install cards allowing 8 x 1Gbps fibre to be used to drive the copper lines. Bloody cheapskates these stinking Libs! About $800/node (times 30,000 nodes = $24m.) Then AVC can be increased and CVC done away with.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2017, 07:36

The useless Greens decide something or other about the NBN, years after others pointed out the problems. Typically—they lash out at Libs and Labor. Who gives a shit about these frauds?

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/80607-greens-say-yes-to-nbn-co-debt-relief.html

I think the Green Frauds are rather missing Ludlam and his NBN knowledge.

Whirlpool has been discussing this for some time. Writing down debt means taking it onto the Budget, doubt the Libs want that! The point of writing down debt, and thus the interest on the debt, is to lower the CVC charge and that might expose truths about the MTM the Libs prefer to keep hidden.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 01 Nov 2017, 13:50

HBS Guy wrote:In a block of MDUs, the copper is inside, protected from the weather so in better shape than the Telstra copper. Mind—some cheapskate developers put in very thin copper, FTTB not good then.

Conroy should have let NBN Co use FTTB for blocks of MDUs, have more fibre. Bloody strata body corporations bastards to deal with.

What about fibre-to-the-curb?

Talking to some of the blokes in Perth and they think some suburbs are consigned to fibre to the node but some will get fibre-to-the-curb.... Apparently early suburbs like Greggys are the only lucky ducks to get fibre to the premises and that ship has sailed unless the government falls or some other such high drama were to occur!

He looked as disappointed as me I can tell you!
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2017, 14:05

I can’t see too much FTTDp being rolled out. Fibre in conduit, four way split in dist. point. Copper from there. Be less than 100m copper to each premises. So better than FTTN but still—copper!

Just run out FTTH FFS! All these multifarious technologies/subtechnologies, an IT hell! NBN Co talking of GFast etc, nonsense!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 01 Nov 2017, 14:08

HBS Guy wrote:I can’t see too much FTTDp being rolled out. Fibre in conduit, four way split in dist. point. Copper from there. Be less than 100m copper to each premises. So better than FTTN but still—copper!

Just run out FTTH FFS! All these multifarious technologies/subtechnologies, an IT hell! NBN Co talking of GFast etc, nonsense!

He was talking in raised eyebrows I can tell you that: he wasn't happy with the job he was doing!
:grn
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Nov 2017, 20:16

He gets paid $3.6m a year + bonuses—to lie to us. It might be getting to him—so pay back your wages, bonuses and fuck off!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 01 Nov 2017, 20:28

HBS Guy wrote:He gets paid $3.6m a year + bonuses—to lie to us. It might be getting to him—so pay back your wages, bonuses and fuck off!

The blokes doing the work aren't getting that!
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Nov 2017, 08:52

A lot of the blokes doing the work are untrained. They are also paid per job so do the job (install) as quickly as possible. Termination unit next to your toilet? No problem—for the installer and yes this has happened and I saw the photo posted in Whirlpool! The outside box has been mounted in stupid positions too! Including below an outside tap!

And who fixes problems? The subscriber, the RSP or NBN Co? Blame shifting galore leaving people without landlines for weeks and months!

Subscriber: not much you can do, but think where you want the termination unit and the router to go, have a licenced cabler rip out all cables/phone points and install a clean new line of the highest grade applicable (Cat 5, I think) from where the landline enters your residence to the ONE phone point where the FTTN crap is connected. This will make a real difference when you aren’t close to the node. Multiple phone sockets will bugger up your signal!

RSP—chose a good one. Aussie Broadband seems to be a good one. Don’t go for one that offers unlimited plans, means unlimited congestion!

NBN Co. Not much we can do. Vote the Libs out I suppose :rofl BE THERE when the installation is supposed to be done, might mean a few days off from work.

In my Tassie house I will determine where I want the NTU to be and I will ensure the outside box goes just under where I want the NTU to be and have a conduit with drawstring installed: make it easy for the installer and he will put it where YOU want it: he is paid per install! I will also have a NBN Co preferred cabinet mounted with a dedicated power point with a clean run right from the meter box close to the cabinet.

I might even move this board to a computer in my house: the money I save on hosting might be enough to pay for a higher speed plan. Probably not tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Nov 2017, 06:49

Told you:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-will-stay-off-federal-budget-books-476637

NBN Co turkey to stay off Budget. They put it on Budget the debt blows out by $60Bn and it gets harder to hide the full horror and failure that turdfull made it.

They are rushing installing the last of the copper crap so Labor can’t replace it with fibre.

Despite that, I think Labor has a clear path to replacing copper with fibre:

1. The more people have fibre the more those on the copper nonsense want fibre

So, replace real horror stories with fibre. Train more workers in fibre along the way. Make Technology Choice real, change the name back to Fibre on Demand and offer realistic quotes, try to get other houses in the FoD location adopt fibre too for a small contribution to cost. Go back to 2013 and find all the many rural councils that offered to co-pay towards fibre for areas in the council that would not otherwise get fibre. Work honestly and enthusiastically to get that fibre rolled out.

2. CVC charges are a main reason for congestion.

So, do away with the CVC charge, increase AVC to make the change revenue neutral, make 100mbps the base rate. Bang! Up comes the (lack of) quality in the copper and congestion in the nodes. Should get a hue and cry about wanting fibre (FTTH) ASAP! Start rolling out FTTH in the very worst areas.

Etc, so a trained workforce is created as is the demand for FTTH, the problems with copper and the stupid nodes are highlighted and by the time a heap of FoD and Area Switches have been rolled out the demand for FTTH will be something not even the Libs and murdoch can resist.

In QT Labor can have a series of dixers on the horror stories of life on the MTM, keeping back some of the worst for when a larger scale rollout of FTTH is planned just to keep the Libs from attacking it. If they crap on about 5G doing away with the need for fibre—5G NEEDS fibre to really work. So does the Fixed Wireless part of the NBN by the way, more fibre that can be rolled out, connect houses on the route to the FW tower.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Nov 2017, 13:28

Another attempt to fix the mess:

John de Ridder, an independent telecommunications economist, and Rod Tucker, Laureate Emeritus Professor at the University of Melbourne and a member of Labor's Expert Panel that advised on the NBN, put forward their proposal on Radio National's Money programme on Thursday night.

Currently, the NBN Co charges retail service providers a connectivity virtual circuit charge for building into the network; the amount charged depends on how much bandwidth the provider buys. Additionally, there is an access virtual circuit charge, which depends on each customer's connection – the RSP pays more if the customer takes one of the higher tier plans.

NBN Co has accused RSPs of buying less bandwidth than is needed by their customers in order to maximise their profits. RSPs have, in turn, said they can only pay so much of CVC charges, else they would go out of business.

And customers have opted for lower-tier plans in order to keep their outlay down.
According to Money host Richard Aedy, the plan proposed by Tucker and de Ridder would eliminate the CVC charge, and instead impose a fixed charge on all customers, much in the way that electricity customers pay a charge for their use of poles and wires.

There would be a separate charge based on the amount of data used — as electricity customers pay depending on the amount of power they use — with the AVC charge also scrapped. But customers would be given access to the full bandwidth available, meaning that there would be no speed tiers.

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/80659-tech-experts-propose-temporary-fix-for-nbn-mess.html

Won’t happen, will just expose that the copper is crap and the nodes underprovisioned with fibre. But a charge on the amount of data downloaded (video included?) is different I guess.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 03 Nov 2017, 14:57

HBS Guy wrote:Told you:

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-will-stay-off-federal-budget-books-476637

NBN Co turkey to stay off Budget. They put it on Budget the debt blows out by $60Bn and it gets harder to hide the full horror and failure that turdfull made it.

They are rushing installing the last of the copper crap so Labor can’t replace it with fibre.

Despite that, I think Labor has a clear path to replacing copper with fibre:

1. The more people have fibre the more those on the copper nonsense want fibre

So, replace real horror stories with fibre. Train more workers in fibre along the way. Make Technology Choice real, change the name back to Fibre on Demand and offer realistic quotes, try to get other houses in the FoD location adopt fibre too for a small contribution to cost. Go back to 2013 and find all the many rural councils that offered to co-pay towards fibre for areas in the council that would not otherwise get fibre. Work honestly and enthusiastically to get that fibre rolled out.

2. CVC charges are a main reason for congestion.

So, do away with the CVC charge, increase AVC to make the change revenue neutral, make 100mbps the base rate. Bang! Up comes the (lack of) quality in the copper and congestion in the nodes. Should get a hue and cry about wanting fibre (FTTH) ASAP! Start rolling out FTTH in the very worst areas.

Etc, so a trained workforce is created as is the demand for FTTH, the problems with copper and the stupid nodes are highlighted and by the time a heap of FoD and Area Switches have been rolled out the demand for FTTH will be something not even the Libs and murdoch can resist.

In QT Labor can have a series of dixers on the horror stories of life on the MTM, keeping back some of the worst for when a larger scale rollout of FTTH is planned just to keep the Libs from attacking it. If they crap on about 5G doing away with the need for fibre—5G NEEDS fibre to really work. So does the Fixed Wireless part of the NBN by the way, more fibre that can be rolled out, connect houses on the route to the FW tower.

In other words the bluebloods are just being complete dogs to their own flesh and blood for the pure schaudenfreude of it all!

Go fascist monotony yayyyyyyyyyyy :jump
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Nov 2017, 15:23

Dunno about schadenfreude. They are being bastards plain and simple: we stuffed up and made a huge mess of the NBN but we are going to finish rolling out the dogs’ breakfast so Labor can’t fix it.

Except they are making a dog’s breakfast of rolling out the dog’s breakfast, so much mess that there will be huge pressure on the new Labor govt to do something. They can’t even fuckup properly! They fuck the fucking up!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 03 Nov 2017, 17:07

HBS Guy wrote:Dunno about schadenfreude. They are being bastards plain and simple: we stuffed up and made a huge mess of the NBN but we are going to finish rolling out the dogs’ breakfast so Labor can’t fix it.

Except they are making a dog’s breakfast of rolling out the dog’s breakfast, so much mess that there will be huge pressure on the new Labor govt to do something. They can’t even fuckup properly! They fuck the fucking up!

That's schadenfreude: its how you pretend to get a laugh when you're a sicko!

It's the bereft of heart trying to live another moment of their shite existence!

Aka bluebloods !
MilesAway
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 13:05

NBN: costs stay about the same for MTM rollout
Written by Sam Varghese
The costs of installing the various technologies that are part of the national broadband network have stayed more or less static since the last quarter,

(ITWire)

Staid the same? tsk tsk, the ramp up SHOULD be seeing more savings being made.

If the fucking idiotic Libs had just kept the fibre rollout going—the asbestos problem fixed the Libs could have claimed credit for fixing “Labor’s mess” and the rollout would be about done at less cost than the present botch of a temporary network. There would be more high paying jobs already due to the NBN.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 13:40

Not only but also:

The average revenue per user has stayed more or less static since the previous financial year, rising from $42 in September 2016 to $43 during quarter one this year.

(ITWire)

Well, you use copper that isn’t up to it:

1. Way too corroded—Bagdad and all that.

2. Way too thin—some is .3mm diameter, should be .6mm, 4 times thicker! Even 4.2mm is too thin.

Then you underprovision the stupid cabinets so at best all can get 5mbps (or less if 352 copper lines come out the DSLAM)

But that’s not all!
You keep a CVC charge that means less bandwidth is paid for than is needed by RSPs.

But wait there’s more! You have a lousy installation service, done by semi trained simians!

Gee, I wonder why ARPU hasn’t increased!

This shit, this $60Bn spent on a temporary network, will be part of the reason of the lousy Lib polling!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Politics