NBN 2

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

NBN 2

Postby Cherie » 23 Oct 2017, 17:10

Does this sound right to you Monk
?

Turnbull is blaming Labor for NBN failure- this comment sounded pretty accurate-

"No Malcolm, your politicisation of the NBN is what has ruined its chances of ever making a decent return.

FTTP was predicted to involve a higher CAPEX, but a far lower OPEX than the multi-technology-mix which NBNco staff internally labelled "Operation Clusterfuck".

Instead, what we have now is a disaster of your doing. The NBN's MTM completion is now predicted to cost above and beyond even the most fanciful predictions for fibre to the premises.

FTTP would have made a 7% p.a. ROI for the government. Effectively, it wouldn't have even cost the taxpayer a cent - it would have actually made money.

Operation Clusterfuck has instead given us a dud network that won't make a return at more than $50 Billion already... and it's not even finished.

Your decisions as Communications Minister have doomed Australia to fall behind the rest of the world. And for what? Short-term political gain at the expense of Australia's future prosperity?

There ought to be a Royal Commission into the decision making process behind this economic treason
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Re: NBN 2

Postby Cherie » 23 Oct 2017, 17:13

what a disaster :rain
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2017, 17:38

Yes, copper internet is a disaster.

No cheaper, no sooner and a hell of a lot slower!

Instead of stimulating the economy with new services and new applications etc etc etc copper internet can’t serve the needs of today let along tomorrow!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby davo » 23 Oct 2017, 19:48

K Rudd didnt hold back on the 7.30 report not very often that you hear Murdoch cop a serve in the media. :thumb
davo
Chihuahua

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2017, 22:33

Well, watched 4Corners. Not exactly hard hitting I thought, too much time given to NBN Co Chief Liar. But showed it was inadequate today let alone 10 years from now as Operating systems, games and their patches get bigger and bigger and are only sold as downloads.

The show showed some small businesses operating from home severely hampered by crap copper internet.

Gimp Co and RSPs didn’t come off very well when it came to keeping appointments and solving problems with connections: untrained monkeys most of the “tech” people!

Because the program was being aired Question Time was all about the NBN. Pathetic, turdfull saying Labor had 6 years and connected 10K premises (or whatever the number was.) What a lie, the rollout was one year, the other five were setting up NBN Co, running out thousands of kilometres of backhaul where needed and planning the rollout. Stats were mentioned re the crap copper internet that glossed over the hundreds of thousands of premises not connected, more work needed. Getting those premises connected will see more money needed to be “loaned” (given!) to Gimp Co.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2017, 22:36

I watched it. Nothing new at all learned even by me. I've been better informed here.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2017, 22:49

Reading a Whirlpool thread, where an ABC journo asked for examples of NBN Co problems.

One posted talked about the need to clean up in–house wiring for even doubling of speed:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2598431 When you are put on the NBN your investment will pay for itself Aussie! Not much help with ADSL. Everybody on or soon to be on FTTN/FTTC read this! Really helps but cannot fix problems outside your house.

Thread I am reading: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2653903
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2017, 23:01

Dunno what this means or what you are saying. If it is that I ought pay for fibre from node to home....forget it. I've checked. That costs serious thousands and TIB just loves moving around, so that means I'd pay chicken lips for something I'd kiss goodbye soon enough.

Nah.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby davo » 23 Oct 2017, 23:06

Yeah I thought they would go into more detail Aussie funny watching Morrow all but stop stopped short of calling MTM crap.
The gist was I have a government directive :bgrin
davo
Chihuahua

Postby Aussie » 23 Oct 2017, 23:16

davo wrote:Yeah I thought they would go into more detail Aussie funny watching Morrow all but stop stopped short of calling MTM crap.

Well, he gets paid to push the barrow. Come on, he knows what we have is crap. Turnbull knows...everyone knows.

What shits me is this.....I am being COMPELLED to lose what works and I am COMPELLED to cop what DOES NOT WORK.

Nah.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Oct 2017, 23:29

Was just the internal wiring you have had done.

Fibre on Demand sanitised to Technology Choice (can’t have that dreadful word fibre in anything) is made expensive to discourage people from getting :S One household paid over $100K for fibre. Man, must have SERIOUS internet needs!

Those who are about to be put on FTTN/C get a licensed cabler to replace the cable from where the landline enters your house to where you want the router to go to a new phone point and remove all the other phone points you might have. If you are a fair distance from the node this will significantly improve your experience.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2017, 06:37

Bilbo saying NBN Co should not have been set up as a money making enterprise:

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=12829

It is infrastructure that benefits people and the economy. But would that have passed the Senate with Libs opposing everything Labor did?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2017, 08:31

Wow, just read the corresponding thread on OzPol. What crap and then that “leftwing” goose talking about the size of Australia {sigh}

Size is irrelevant, Australians mainly live in the 7 capital cities with only Qld being less urban. That is why the rollout included satellite and Fixed Wireless. Neither are working well:

1. Satellite, meant for people living in truly remote areas but Gimpco puts people on satellite who can SEE the CBD from their premises so its scarce bandwidth is overallocated

2. FW. Instead of running out :S to carry data to/from the internet bloody Gimpco is using microwave transmission to do the job. FW experience is worse than FTTN!

With all this, the cost of Gimpco is constantly increasing. Because of high OPEX, because of having to power the nodes and micronodes and because of the extremely high cost of maintaining the rotten copper Gimpco will need more and more money!

Only sensible thing: if the copper needs work, run out fibre not new copper :roll :roll :roll
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2017, 11:27

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2017, 15:57

Chief Liar, Morrow, is looking for a golden parachute to bugger off back to America (or Canada?)

The mess is as bad as we always predicted. CVC pricing HAS to be cut so RSPs can buy enough mbps per subscriber to avoid the dreaded peak hour slowdown to dial up speeds.

That will show how crap the copper is so the Libs won’t do it: they cannot blame Labor for the copper, that was their own S T U P I D idea. So they will keep going losing more and more support. Another Leadership spill has to be on the cards! abbott, potatohead—Freydenburgh?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 24 Oct 2017, 16:04

There will be no spill. A change will only occur if there is a draft.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2017, 16:36

All this crap affects not just RSPs, not just subscribers—what about the workers, the sub-subcontractors!

Workers who are employed doing work on the national broadband network are being forced to deal with the disaster that the project has become, the Communications Union says.
CEPU communications division national president Shane Murphy said what he called Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's NBN was a "shambolic mess".

He said the Four Corners programme about the project had revealed a myriad problems, both for consumers and workers.

“The NBN was meant to be a critical piece of nation-building infrastructure, but at the moment it’s nothing more than a national embarrassment,” Murphy said.

“The NBN had the potential to be a world-class network and provide jobs and training opportunities for workers to develop new skills. Instead, we’ve ended up in a situation where we’ve got frustrated customers on a shonky network being held together with plastic bags and ringbarked cables.
“This is Turnbull’s NBN – a national joke."

Murphy said the Prime Minister could try to handball the blame but the reality was that the mess was all his making.

"We warned this government that this was coming, but the Prime Minister refused to listen. We’ve got thousands of subcontractors who are given no proper training and are being squeezed by principal contractors who are making billions at the taxpayer’s expense," Murphy claimed.

“This government’s flawed approach to this key infrastructure project is enabling that behaviour.

“Not only has the Prime Minister failed to deliver on his promises to deliver a better NBN faster and cheaper, he has failed the workforce by allowing the biggest pyramid sham contracting scheme the country has ever seen to flourish throughout the industry.”

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/80499-shambolic-nbn-has-hit-subcontractors-hard,-union-claims.html

Yup, one of the things that has to happen—DID happen in the NT when a main contractor quit—NBN Co managed the contracts in house, dealing directly with the subbies. NT rollout was one of the best after that! We know what has to be done but we are dealing with a fuckwad in turdfull who now doesn’t want to lose face. Billions of dollars can be spent on crap but turdfull the magnificent must not lose face! Bah!

Makes me sick! ALL the lessons were available, that CVC had to go, the Project Fox technologies halving cost and time to do the rollout, bringing contract management in house etc. No brainer to keep going with FTTH (even if the HFC areas not included) and stupid and in the face of clear warnings he insisted on Gimpco and FTTN/HFC. This is negligence in the performance of duty to the public that pays his wage!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Oct 2017, 18:08

Of course, the genesis of this crap, as with so much policy crap, had its origin in the dreadful, wasted Howard years.

Selling Telstra without separating it into wholesale and retail was another bit of economic treason. Howard, of course, just wanted the biggest pot of money to spend on pork and middleclass welfare. The future was never anything he spent a second considering!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Oct 2017, 01:56

It looks as if a write down of the NBN (Gimpco) is imminent.

That means Gimpco only needs to make a profit to pay back half the funding. That could mean the CVC charge is massively reduced and regulation ensures that RSPs buy more mbps.

But that then would expose just how crap the Telstra copper is, both FTTN and HFC.

So any write down will not be a panacea for the Lib shambles. Watch them try to keep CVC high, pissing off more and more people.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 25 Oct 2017, 12:14

HBS Guy wrote:—what about the workers, the sub-subcontractors!

some of the subcontractors are friggen idiots that deserve to be lambasted.

A neighbour had NBN run into her place from the box outside. As she has her office set up in a garage, she asked that he run the cable into the garage. (I live in a gated complex and NBN CO. ran Coax. to the exterior of each property). To do so he had to drill through a wall, about 2 meters above ground level. I was walking past while he was doing it so decided to stick my head in and have a look, and the first thing i noticed was that the dumb fucker ran the cable through the sewer pipe that ran down the wall from upstairs. He can't claim he didn't know it was there because 1 meter further down the wall, was the plumbers access point, in plain sight. I mentioned it to him that I suspected he went through the sewer line and instead of doing something about it, he finished running the cable and got out of there without saying a word to the owner. This is a double concrete block wall with a cavity in the centre for utilities, that supports the bathroom above. How they're supposed to fix it now without destroying half the wall is going to be fun to work out. I'm glad I'm not doing it.

What a fucken dumb cunt. He shouldn't be allowed near a building if he's that friggen stupid.
johnsmith
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Oct 2017, 13:26

Yeah, untrained and poorly trained “tech” people, paid per job with the inevitable result.

Working on the plan of my fruit trees ATM but have noted in my Design Brief that the architect will need to specify where the outside box for the NBN fibre goes and have conduit with drawstring installed so the NTU will be where I want it, in the tiny office of my BR where bills will be paid, the UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and the server goes. Basically, a cubbyhole to keep bills etc from cluttering up the lounge and to have a server doing cloud backups and running the calendar/reminders re bills etc.)

That way all the installer has to do is draw up the cable and terminate it, quick and easy. Will buy the Whirlpool recommended cabinet, have a separate power point, clean run from the meter box, adequate ventilation etc for the cabinet and the electronics.

The installer wants the job done. He will terminate right next to your toilet if that is quickest for him, outside boxes will be placed where it means you can no longer use that outside tap etc. The installers don’t care, the more installs they do the more they get paid! Prepare and be there on the day!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Oct 2017, 14:04

Now even MORE complexity in the mish mash built by Gimpco:

NBN Co plans to use G.fast technology for rollout in 2018

NBN Co, the company rolling out Australia's national broadband network, says it will be adding G.fast technology to its technology mix next year, to enable faster speeds over copper wires.
The company said in a statement that using G.fast would enable it to offer faster speeds to those residents who were being served by fibre to the basement or fibre to the kerb (what NBN Co calls fibre to the curb).

It claimed that G.fast could offer speeds past the current 100Mbps levels delivered by VDSL technology to speeds of up to 1Gbps over copper lines by using higher frequencies of either 106MHz or 212MHz – compared to just 17MHz on VDSL.

"Global operators including AT&T in the US, BT in the UK, Swisscom and Taiwan’s Chunghwa Telecom have already launched the technology to end-users," the statement said.

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/80507-nbn-co-plans-to-use-g-fast-technology-for-rollout-in-2018.html

Will that work on Telstra’s old, corroded and too–thin copper? Powered electronics in pits that flood in rain, sound sensible? Just run out FTTH idiots! Who is going to buy flaky somewhat-close-to gigabit speed with CVC charges the way they are? Sounds more like desperation, copper can get fibre speeds! A heath Robinson contraption is what the idiot Libs have made of what was going to be nation building and economy boosting valuable infrastructure!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 25 Oct 2017, 19:16

Aussie wrote:
davo wrote:Yeah I thought they would go into more detail Aussie funny watching Morrow all but stop stopped short of calling MTM crap.

Well, he gets paid to push the barrow. Come on, he knows what we have is crap. Turnbull knows...everyone knows.

What shits me is this.....I am being COMPELLED to lose what works and I am COMPELLED to cop what DOES NOT WORK.

Nah.

I havent been changed over yet but I dont have the option of not changing over- its stinks but we have to go with it- friends here said they had a few problems that went on for weeks and weeks after getting it- makes no sense
Honor to God.

Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Oct 2017, 21:35

Get that cabler to run a nice clean line to where you want the router to go, remove all phone points, just one phone point. Could double your speed.

Won’t help with half trained monkeys pretending to be “tech” people tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 25 Oct 2017, 23:12

HBS Guy wrote:Get that cabler to run a nice clean line to where you want the router to go, remove all phone points, just one phone point. Could double your speed.

Won’t help with half trained monkeys pretending to be “tech” people tho.

if you want a good job screw the 'cabler'

get an electrician to run the cable for you. Once he's done and everything is in place, then get the nbn to simply connect it.
johnsmith
mountain lion

Next

Return to Politics