NBN 2

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: NBN 2

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Dec 2017, 19:47

People need to be shown there is a way to get fast and rock–steady internet, that is why Labor need to get FoD and Area Switches being treated realistically and sympathetically, get fibre being rolled out ASAP!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 31 Dec 2017, 09:41

johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:Labor will be in government by the time that I am forcibly required to make the switch to the NBN - hopefully they will have started taking steps to rectify the coalitions extrordinary cock-up by the time I will be forced to make the switch.

don't expect miracles ... it'll take a long time to unscramble the mess that the libtards have left us

I thought you idiots were all about the cunt from brisbane fixing everything. So now it can't be fixed, good to know.
BigOl64
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby Lefty » 31 Dec 2017, 09:58

I'm quite sure it can be fixed although that will be made more difficult because of what Turnbull has done. Once it's fixed it can benefit everyone equally whereas the libs design seriously hampers it's potential so that some people get little more than before for the great sum already spent (sometimes even less) while the lucky ones get access to something resembling a modern network, including cave men who just happened to be in the right place.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby johnsmith » 31 Dec 2017, 10:01

BigOl64 wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Lefty wrote:Labor will be in government by the time that I am forcibly required to make the switch to the NBN - hopefully they will have started taking steps to rectify the coalitions extrordinary cock-up by the time I will be forced to make the switch.

don't expect miracles ... it'll take a long time to unscramble the mess that the libtards have left us

I thought you idiots were all about the cunt from brisbane fixing everything. So now it can't be fixed, good to know.

to much time in the sun bigol? A TOUCH OF HEATSTROKE PERHAPS?

I'm talking ABOUT THE nbn .... The first 'N' stands for 'NATIONAL', NOT 'QUEENSLAND'.

If you ever figure out the difference then get back to me
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lefty » 31 Dec 2017, 10:51

johnsmith wrote:
BigOl64 wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

to much time in the sun bigol? A TOUCH OF HEATSTROKE PERHAPS?

I'm talking ABOUT THE nbn .... The first 'N' stands for 'NATIONAL', NOT 'QUEENSLAND'.

If you ever figure out the difference then get back to me

I think that might be a lost cause :bike
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2018, 06:25

What a lovely story. Guy, who needs to upload large files for work, is so unhappy and so frustrated with Telstra he and his girlfriend stage a sit in at the local Telstra store. The store calls the cops—and the cops take the side of the guy and negotiate a package! A 4G dongle is given to the bloke and a modem is express posted to him.

Does the story have a happy ending? With Telstra and the Lib’s third rate NBN? Of course not. “It all barely works.”

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/nsw/2018/01/01/nbn-protestor-stages-sit-in-at-telstra-store-to-demand-internet-connection/
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 02 Jan 2018, 12:49

HBS Guy wrote:Does the story have a happy ending?

from your link

Its all still barely working and the case manager refuses to call me.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2018, 13:08

Typical of the MTM I’m afraid.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 02 Jan 2018, 16:21

Lefty wrote:I'm quite sure it can be fixed although that will be made more difficult because of what Turnbull has done. Once it's fixed it can benefit everyone equally whereas the libs design seriously hampers it's potential so that some people get little more than before for the great sum already spent (sometimes even less) while the lucky ones get access to something resembling a modern network, including cave men who just happened to be in the right place.

It can’t be fixed: it was game over years ago!

Remember the sonny bill crap??

That was this country’s last memory!!!

:beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jan 2018, 16:54

It can be fixed, DRAH.

Firstly—get fibre rolled out while a detailed plan is worked out. Fibre on Demand and Area Switches are ways to get fibre happening. Enough fibre gets rolled out everyone will want fibre. Will take time—you don’t turn a supertanker on a dime!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 03 Jan 2018, 15:23

HBS Guy wrote:It can be fixed, DRAH.

Firstly—get fibre rolled out while a detailed plan is worked out. Fibre on Demand and Area Switches are ways to get fibre happening. Enough fibre gets rolled out everyone will want fibre. Will take time—you don’t turn a supertanker on a dime!

Fair enough, buddy: you don’t turn a supertanker on a dime :OMG

:beer :beer

I was losing heart but you saved me :beer

:Hi :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo :yellow
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jan 2018, 16:00

Labor could also let the full horror of the copper show: remove the CVC charge, increase the AVC charge. Any congestion is the copper or the node. The nodes could be fixed, put a new card in each node that uses eight 1Gbps fibres to service the 192 or 352 copper lines. That could be done where the copper is OK. Where the copper is shown to be utter crap—replace with fibre.

Also replace with fibre runs of copper over say 800m long. Plenty of ways to get fibre rolled out. Enough gets rolled out they will be rioting in the streets to get fibre for themselves.

But it will take time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 04 Jan 2018, 18:16

HBS Guy wrote:Labor could also let the full horror of the copper show: remove the CVC charge, increase the AVC charge. Any congestion is the copper or the node. The nodes could be fixed, put a new card in each node that uses eight 1Gbps fibres to service the 192 or 352 copper lines. That could be done where the copper is OK. Where the copper is shown to be utter crap—replace with fibre.

Also replace with fibre runs of copper over say 800m long. Plenty of ways to get fibre rolled out. Enough gets rolled out they will be rioting in the streets to get fibre for themselves.

But it will take time.

Right, so, what...: do I get the rope out and spray it a coppery colour or not??
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Jan 2018, 18:28

Why?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 05 Jan 2018, 15:03

HBS Guy wrote:Why?

Just for the sake of poetic colouriness :yellow
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jan 2018, 15:20

OK, spray copper like a copper kkunht or like a kkunht of a copper!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 05 Jan 2018, 16:04

HBS Guy wrote:OK, spray copper like a copper kkunht or like a kkunht of a copper!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I got rolling drunk and I don’t think he respected me for it... wait I told ya that bit!

Now he’s retired I think he knows we all think he’s a dickhead!

...but so am I so whatever keeps the family going :roll

I think we took a photo and sent it to other family... :OMG

Ooops, I think (I know :beer ) my nephews girlfriend was there!

She’ll work it out... :? :beer :beer :beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Philperth2017 » 06 Jan 2018, 08:05

Most of the complaints about the NBN are due to slow speeds, drop outs and poor connection. If the network was optic fibre these problems would be almost non existent. The Coalition stuffed it and the more nodes that go in with 40 degree days looming the more chance of the network failing. Malcolm Turnbull hasn't even started to fathom the complete cluster fuck he has turned into the NBN 2.
Philperth2017
Kitten

Postby johnsmith » 06 Jan 2018, 08:16

Philperth2017 wrote:Most of the complaints about the NBN are due to slow speeds, drop outs and poor connection. If the network was optic fibre these problems would be almost non existent. The Coalition stuffed it and the more nodes that go in with 40 degree days looming the more chance of the network failing. Malcolm Turnbull hasn't even started to fathom the complete cluster fuck he has turned into the NBN 2.

On top of that, the libs are crowing that their decision to move to mixed technology is justified because most people have signed up to the slower speed of 25mbps.

What they fail to mention is that most people can't get the higher speeds even if they want to. Much of the old copper won't go above 25mbps, if it gets to that speed at all. I'm lucky in that I've had new coax. cable installed to the premises ... and still, the maximum speed I can subscribe to is 50mbps ..... paying for 100mbps is a waste of money as the cable is unable to support it.

Why do the libs assume that the general population is stupid enough to subscribe to a speed they can't attain?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jan 2018, 12:06

What shits me is the Nats.

Barnyard and Fiona Nash designed something very similar to Labor’s NBN. This was in Howard’s time and Howard was not interested in infrastructure so they filed the plan in Page House, the Nat’s head office. You can look the plan up there.

When Labor was rolling out the real NBN lots of rural councils were negotiating copayments with NBN Co to have fibre rolled out in towns that were too small to have fibre according to the NBN design. Some farmers are on the NBN and putting it to great use tracking soil moisture, location of animals, state of foliage etc etc. Very innovative!

The Nats turned their back on rural people and let the Libs destroy the NBN. By doing that they hurt their supporters the most.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 06 Jan 2018, 14:05

HBS Guy wrote:What shits me is the Nats.

Barnyard and Fiona Nash designed something very similar to Labor’s NBN. This was in Howard’s time and Howard was not interested in infrastructure so they filed the plan in Page House, the Nat’s head office. You can look the plan up there.

When Labor was rolling out the real NBN lots of rural councils were negotiating copayments with NBN Co to have fibre rolled out in towns that were too small to have fibre according to the NBN design. Some farmers are on the NBN and putting it to great use tracking soil moisture, location of animals, state of foliage etc etc. Very innovative!

The Nats turned their back on rural people and let the Libs destroy the NBN. By doing that they hurt their supporters the most.

It would be interesting to hear from rural people that were able to secure the good stuff!

I wonder if whirlpool would garner comments from such people?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Jan 2018, 15:49

Labor should be doing that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 07 Jan 2018, 12:53

HBS Guy wrote:Labor should be doing that.

They could be trying a bit harder in my opinion!

:beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2018, 06:53

Saving face is obviously much more important to turdfull than, well, anything else:

The federal government has dismissed recommendations that it should mandate fibre-to-the-curb for the remainder of the national broadband network rollout.

The government rejected recommendations of an NBN Joint Parliamentary Standing Committee that more fibre, and less copper, be rolled out to complete the project.

The government’s decision has drawn a strong response from the Labor Party’s Shadow Communications Minister Michelle Rowland who described it as “incredibly disappointing”.

“This was an opportunity to find some middle ground,” she said.

“The response to the Committee makes it clear that (Prime Minister) Malcolm Turnbull is not interested in solutions, he simply wants to sit back and watch the experience of consumers and the competitiveness of our digital economy languish under his second-rate copper NBN.”

https://www.itwire.com/telecoms-and-nbn/81411-govt-rejects-use-of-more-fibre-for-the-nbn-rollout.html

Can’t admit Telstra copper is too thin and too corroded to run fast broadband over and can’t admit his nodes are inadequate as to number and are radically under provisioned by fibre.

The third rate NBN cannot support 5G either!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 17 Jan 2018, 13:12

A former executive at the National Broadband Network has predicted that many of the copper wires laid down in the NBN rollout will have to be ripped up and replaced within a decade.

NBN Co has conceded that most Australians with fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) will not be able to get top internet speeds.

The Coalition is building the NBN with a mix of technologies — with high-speed fibre being run to a point in a neighbourhood, and copper wires then being used to reach homes and businesses.

But new figures provided to a Senate committee reveal that only a quarter of FTTN connections can reach the top speed touted by the Government of 100 megabits per second.

That compares to 100 per cent of customers using fibre to the premises (FTTP), or pay television HFC cables.

Anne Hurley, a former chief executive of the Communications Alliance who worked as head of stakeholder engagement at NBN, said the latest figures highlighted deep-seated flaws in the network's design.

"It confirms what we've been saying from day one: fibre-to-the-node is an obsolete technology, it will never deliver the speeds expected by consumers," she said.

Ms Hurley warned large swathes of the copper network would have to be ripped up and replaced within five to 10 years.

"If you look around the world other nations are not embracing fibre-to-the-node and copper … so yes, it's all going to have to go and have to be replaced," she said.

"The industry needs to pull together a strategy which it can take to the Government and say, 'Let's work together on how we can roll out this network, remove antiquated technology, and roll out a network over which we can really operate to provide innovative business services'."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-17/nbn-fttn-will-not-provide-top-speeds-to-three-quarters-consumers/9335602

fucken disgraceful
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Politics