NBN 2

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: NBN 2

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2017, 09:21

The Libs including turdfull’s cronies on the NBN board knew IN 2015 that the frequency assigned to the HFC part of the MTM mishmash was too low and subject to leakage. Did nothing about that so now when HFC is being rolled out they found—the frequency assigned to the HFC part of the MTM mishmash was too low and subject to leakage.

Fuckwits.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2017, 06:29

Hmmm I DID read somewhere the FW towers were connected back to the internet by microwave. Posted about this in Whirlpool and got this reply:

roll fibre out to the FW towers, put those a long distance from the node onto fibre etc.

NBN Network design doc stipulates fibre links from towers is only 1GigE.
Yes, in theory more reliable than microwave but only 10% more capacity.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2684536&p=46#r902

Hmmm rereading that I realise I was right, microwave backhaul IS being used. If fibre is used it will be only one 1Gbps fibre! Not much better than microwave. But this leads to another question:

WHY do the Libs underprovision their fourth rate networks so much? Granted, they wanted to do something different to Labor even to using too–thin copper past its end of life but WHY hobble it so much?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2017, 07:54

Why the Libs fourthrate network won’t work:

https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/communications-report-2016-17-fast-facts

The total volume of data downloaded in Australia during the June quarter of 2017 was 3.171 million terabytes—43 per cent higher than during the previous June quarter. The total volume has increased by 360 per cent in the last four years.[My emphasis]

The majority of data—92 per cent—was downloaded over fixed-line broadband.

The volume of data downloaded over mobile handsets was 45 per cent higher in the June quarter of 2017 than the same period a year earlier.

More and more use wireless data because the MTM is a piece of crap! Now, more data is downloaded from mobile devices—using wifi! That is, most data downloaded by mobile handsets (smart phones, iPads etc) comes via fixed line to a premises, a home or a business. Not really mobile.

In the face of this continuing transfer of more and more data—and that would have increased even without NetFlix—using copper for broadband is shown to be utter stupidity! Or treason.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2017, 07:57

I haven’t got the reference at hand but Australia uses more wireless broadband than any other country. That is because our copper is shit, past its end of life and but sketchily maintained, bagdad etc. (not really maintained at all, just the worst faults repaired quickly.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Dec 2017, 12:26

IT News reports that up to 500,000 premises are involved in the halt to the HFC rollout.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 21 Dec 2017, 12:28

HBS Guy wrote:Hmmm I DID read somewhere the FW towers were connected back to the internet but microwave. Posted about this in Whirlpool and got this reply:

roll fibre out to the FW towers, put those a long distance from the node onto fibre etc.

NBN Network design doc stipulates fibre links from towers is only 1GigE.
Yes, in theory more reliable than microwave but only 10% more capacity.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2684536&p=46#r902

Hmmm rereading that I realise I was right, microwave backhaul IS being used. If fibre is used it will be only one 1Gbps fibre! Not much better than microwave. But this leads to another question:

WHY do the Libs underprovision their fourth rate networks so much? Granted, they wanted to do something different to Labor even to using too–thin copper past its end of life but WHY hobble it so much?

:OMG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MilesAway
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 10:38

Hmm - looks like my area is due to be NBN connected in April. FTTN - no idea yet how much better (if at all) it will be than what is currently available and what the costs are going to be.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 11:28

Interesting.......looks like much of my area is supposed to receive NBN access in April - but the actual service type that will be available varies widely, even though all of the places I looked at are within about 10 minutes drive of each other, all are fully connected to landline phone, power, water, streetlighting and bitumen road (they are all suburban by definition).

What's the point of spending large sums to implement this mish-mash of higher potential and lower potential communication infrastructure in built-up residential areas a stone's throw apart from one another? Why spend all that money to give one side of a street telephones and give the other side of the same street jam tins and string?

Why not just stick with the original plan to do it all properly in the first place?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Dec 2017, 12:07

If you end up a fair way from the node then I give you the same advice I gave Aussie.

1. Work out where you want the router/wifi thing to be.

2. Hire a cabler to install fresh highest applicable cable (Cat5 IIRC) from where the landline enters your house to where you want the router to be.

3. Install and connect a phone point there and remove all other phone points.

If they stick you on Fixed Wireless find out where the tower is, trees around your property etc and if need be insist without giving ground to get a higher than normal aerial.

If they install FTTDp (called Fibre to the Curb by the morons in NBN Co) you have struck gold!

Best of luck.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 12:32

No such luck as FTTDp - that's just around the corner but I get fibre-to-the-node. Just up the road they get fixed wireless and just down the road from that, something else. I can understand different technologies over different, more remote regions etc but why the hodge-podge all in the one close area?

A work crew was installing some cabling the week before last and now there is this big new cabinet on the footpath just around the corner - maybe that's a node? If it is, it's probably 200 - 250 metres away.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 12:55

Just walked up and had a look - yeah, that's it. There's nothing at all written on the large above-ground cabinet but right beside it are two new in-ground boxes with NBN stamped on them.

Unfortunately, it's a lot further than it looks when I drive past - probably 400 - 500m away.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Dec 2017, 13:30

400–500 does not sound good—and depending on how the cables were run your distance could be even further. Better find a cabling guy.

I have a node just around the corner of my street. Chatting with a tech working on the node he said that node may not be the one serving my street, it might be the node several streets further! Pfft fuck all that.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 13:54

I'm supposed to get 18 months grace from the day they switch it on in my area I believe (though there may be caveats to that) where I can keep using the old system before they forcibly cut it off?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Dec 2017, 14:03

Yup. Delay to almost the last moment.

There will be a number on the node cabinet.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 14:12

Hmm, didn't see a number on it anywhere - it's definately one though, found a photo of the exact same thing on Whirlpool.

I wonder if as time rolls on, providing a nation-wide mish-mash of widely differing potentials will create a patchwork of "tech-rich and tech poor" areas all over the place?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 17:32

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Dec 2017, 18:07

Very accurate.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 19:04

Lefty wrote:Interesting.......looks like much of my area is supposed to receive NBN access in April - but the actual service type that will be available varies widely, even though all of the places I looked at are within about 10 minutes drive of each other, all are fully connected to landline phone, power, water, streetlighting and bitumen road (they are all suburban by definition).

What's the point of spending large sums to implement this mish-mash of higher potential and lower potential communication infrastructure in built-up residential areas a stone's throw apart from one another? Why spend all that money to give one side of a street telephones and give the other side of the same street jam tins and string?

Why not just stick with the original plan to do it all properly in the first place?

Talk to some of the guys doing the groundwork: they know which streets are getting what!

:beer
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 19:05

Lefty wrote:No such luck as FTTDp - that's just around the corner but I get fibre-to-the-node. Just up the road they get fixed wireless and just down the road from that, something else. I can understand different technologies over different, more remote regions etc but why the hodge-podge all in the one close area?

A work crew was installing some cabling the week before last and now there is this big new cabinet on the footpath just around the corner - maybe that's a node? If it is, it's probably 200 - 250 metres away.

That is a node!

:rain
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 19:07

HBS Guy wrote:400–500 does not sound good—and depending on how the cables were run your distance could be even further. Better find a cabling guy.

I have a node just around the corner of my street. Chatting with a tech working on the node he said that node may not be the one serving my street, it might be the node several streets further! Pfft fuck all that.

Australia is owned by China... it’s all about giving them free economic reign over us so they don’t feel the need to invade!

Where is the whip emoticon when you need it?
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 19:11

Lefty wrote:Hmm, didn't see a number on it anywhere - it's definately one though, found a photo of the exact same thing on Whirlpool.

I wonder if as time rolls on, providing a nation-wide mish-mash of widely differing potentials will create a patchwork of "tech-rich and tech poor" areas all over the place?

Of course it will, but basically it flattens the whole country’s potential as a whole because it’s inefficient garbage!

The party of business just ran our country like it was someone else’s business and this has been the only comment going around town for years and every single liberal voter knows it!

The liberal voters all hate themselves for this legacy because before this was the stench of old man Howard!

:beer :rain :rain :rain :rain :rain
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 19:26

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=weg2ZbJ6AUY

This was a google fibre test from the USA... so I don’t know the full story behind why their speeds were slow !
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 19:46

MilesAway wrote:
Lefty wrote:Hmm, didn't see a number on it anywhere - it's definately one though, found a photo of the exact same thing on Whirlpool.

Of course it will, but basically it flattens the whole country’s potential as a whole because it’s inefficient garbage!

The party of business just ran our country like it was someone else’s business and this has been the only comment going around town for years and every single liberal voter knows it!

The liberal voters all hate themselves for this legacy because before this was the stench of old man Howard!

:beer :rain :rain :rain :rain :rain

It's just so hard to fathom how any human being more advanced than a caveman could think that trashing the logical next step in communication progress was a good idea. I mean, I know we're originally talking about Abbot here but I was still stunned that anyone could possibly be so thick.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Dec 2017, 19:57

No, the MTM debacle was all turdfull. I still remember that meeting my local Lib MHR called which turdfull addressed. He was talking crap about infrastructure competition blah blah FTTN blah.

After the blah blah blah was over questions were invited. Four questions from Liberal supporters (was all Libs apart from me) all reporting problems with their phone lines, the same lines turdfull was actually going to try running fast broadband over. So he KNEW the copper was crap well before the 2013 election.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2017, 20:23

HBS Guy wrote:No, the MTM debacle was all turdfull. I still remember that meeting my local Lib MHR called which turdfull addressed. He was talking crap about infrastructure competition blah blah FTTN blah.

After the blah blah blah was over questions were invited. Four questions from Liberal supporters (was all Libs apart from me) all reporting problems with their phone lines, the same lines turdfull was actually going to try running fast broadband over. So he KNEW the copper was crap well before the 2013 election.

The MTM was Turdfull's deformed "baby" but Abbot first wanted to trash it entirely.

Both are equally fuckwits.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Politics