NBN 2

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: NBN 2

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Dec 2017, 20:49

And traitors.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 21:04

Lefty wrote:
MilesAway wrote:
Lefty wrote:Hmm, didn't see a number on it anywhere - it's definately one though, found a photo of the exact same thing on Whirlpool.

I wonder if as time rolls on, providing a nation-wide mish-mash of widely differing potentials will create a patchwork of "tech-rich and tech poor" areas all over the place?

Of course it will, but basically it flattens the whole country’s potential as a whole because it’s inefficient garbage!

The party of business just ran our country like it was someone else’s business and this has been the only comment going around town for years and every single liberal voter knows it!

The liberal voters all hate themselves for this legacy because before this was the stench of old man Howard!

:beer :rain :rain :rain :rain :rain

It's just so hard to fathom how any human being more advanced than a caveman could think that trashing the logical next step in communication progress was a good idea. I mean, I know we're originally talking about Abbot here but I was still stunned that anyone could possibly be so thick.

Sanity is not the rule in groups: this is a china pleasing ritual!

Representative democracy is a system!!
MilesAway
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 21:10

Lefty wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:No, the MTM debacle was all turdfull. I still remember that meeting my local Lib MHR called which turdfull addressed. He was talking crap about infrastructure competition blah blah FTTN blah.

After the blah blah blah was over questions were invited. Four questions from Liberal supporters (was all Libs apart from me) all reporting problems with their phone lines, the same lines turdfull was actually going to try running fast broadband over. So he KNEW the copper was crap well before the 2013 election.

The MTM was Turdfull's deformed "baby" but Abbot first wanted to trash it entirely.

Both are equally fuckwits.

They will share the legacy: for shizzle!

Go the stench goat of Howard!

Lol, imagine being a liberal voter : you would feel hunted by your own flesh and blood for the next 5 decades :beer

:jump :jump :jump :bike :bike :bike :bgrin
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 27 Dec 2017, 21:11

HBS Guy wrote:And traitors.

Lol, there’s another word for that.... :bgrin
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Lefty » 28 Dec 2017, 03:13

Lol, imagine being a liberal voter : you would feel hunted by your own flesh and blood for the next 5 decades

This utter fucking dog's breakfast is on their hands, they can't get away from it. What the fuck is the point of spending huge sums to deliberately deliver obsolete technology to so many? Why spend so much giving some people something modern, others jam tins and string and still others a wet blanket and stack of firewood for sending smoke signals.......all as part of a single system?

But I guess it really measures up against their (lack of) principles - inequality is what they are all about.

I seem to recall Shorten saying that he didn't want to just rip up what the libs had already done (pretty obvious that Labor will win the next election) but I think the awful truth is that he might have to. What Turdfull has delivered us is simply not compatible with the idea of first class modern day national communications network. If what the fibs have done is not torn up and the original FTTH plans for nearly everyone re-instated then it's only a matter of time before we start vying with true third world countries for bottom spot on the global ladder.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2017, 05:37

What the Libs are building is a temporary network.

Labor can do a lot.

Politically‚ an RC or some other enquiry then belt the Libs about the head with it for the next 20 years. Similarly—bring the NBN onto the Budget as it will never be able to pay back the $19.5bn loaned to it.

Strategies to get people to want a modern network:

1. The more FTTH is rolled out the more everybody else will want FTTH. So make Fibre on Demand (individuals) and Area Switches (councils, communities) feasible, replace the very worst FTTN/HFC with FTTH etc. Spruik constantly the benefits of fibre. Whatever new rollouts that can be replaced with FTTH without too much stuffing around should be rolled out as FTTH. Make 1Gbps the new low speed band. (With FTTH it costs no more to provide 1Gbps as it costs to provide 12mbps. Roll out FTTH to business precincts.

2. Show up the awfulness of the copper, remove the CVC charge. Then congestion is due to the copper and the nodes etc. Remediate the worst areas by rolling out FTTH.

3. Develop a set of advantages of FTTH. Online health, business benefits etc.

It should not be too hard to replace FTTN with FTTH. Rollout decent amounts of fibre to the fixed wireless towers—those people finally can get the full FW experience, the real bandwidth FW can provide. Take people off satellite who are not in remote areas. Shit, even let some go back to ADSL temporarily (until fibre can be rolled out.) Will cost—but that is the Libs fault etc etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 28 Dec 2017, 10:34

HBS Guy wrote:Labor can do a lot.

i don't think they'll do much .... at least not in their first term.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2017, 10:38

Call an RC and direct NBN Co to realistically quote on FoD/Area Switch applications—get some fibre run out cheaply (copayments.) Also run out fibre where the copper is just totally fucked, to people a long way from a node, etc. Just get fibre out there, will bring a mood of “I want fibre too!” that will make switching most of the NBN to FTTH politically feasible enough.

That will go a long way to fixing the fuckup the Libs made of the NBN.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 28 Dec 2017, 10:52

They're going to have to - we can't call ourselves an advanced nation while a crucial piece of national tech infrastructure languishes in the last century. We're currently vying with Zimbabwe for internet speed, by the time Labor wins office Zimbabwe will probably be well ahead of us - this can't be allowed to go on.

Neo-liberal ideology lies at the root of this black comedy. Turdfullnet appears to have been designed to run as a for-profit enterprise first and a provider of crucial modern national infrastructure second - if it's first directive is to be a profitable business rather than a public service then inequality of access is all but guaranteed. Like running the immunisation programme for private profit - millions of people at the lower end would inevitably end up harbouring dangerous infectious diseases.

Looking around my area on the NBN map, I'm just amazed at the hotch-potch. Built up areas - coastal towns and a very close-by small city - that are a smattering of new and obsolete tech all cobbled together. Little patches of Fibre-to-the-home here and there with inferior options literally just the other side of the fence.

As for me, I have no idea whether what I will get will be much better than what I have now, if at all. I live a considerable distance from the node and the copper in my street was fried by a lightning strike last year and I don;t know if it was fully replaced or just patch-jobbed. Four months we were without landline phone and proper internet (lots of angry calls before anything actually happened). It could be that I'm double-disadvantaged by the FTTN that I will be forced to accept when they turn everything else off, by long distance from a node over copper that is in poor shape.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 28 Dec 2017, 10:54

I think the fibs may have underestimated just how upset people are when the level of what they see as a basic service is dictated by which side of the street you live on.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Dec 2017, 11:39

That copper should have been re-run! Flynn likely will return a Labor MHR—get after him, show him no mercy until you get FTTH!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 28 Dec 2017, 13:10

johnsmith wrote:

They can’t do anything with the nbn,... Abbott and Turnbull fucked Australian kids in the arse for generations!

:rain

Every single liberal voter knows it too!
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 28 Dec 2017, 13:11

MilesAway wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

They can’t do anything with the nbn,... Abbott and Turnbull fucked Australian kids in the arse for generations!

:rain

Every single liberal voter knows it too!

...and that my friend is the modern day warfare from within predicted by Hitler!

The Libs are not On Australia’s side!

:rain :rain :rain :rain :rain
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Lefty » 30 Dec 2017, 09:11

HBS Guy wrote:That copper should have been re-run! Flynn likely will return a Labor MHR—get after him, show him no mercy until you get FTTH!

I think a part of it was but not the whole lot of what lies between me and the new node. The 400-500 metres of footpath I walked would have to be the minimum distance between me and the node. The line could well take the scenic route around the area. I could easily have 1 km plus of new and old copper cobbled together lying between me and the node. If that turns out to be the case then it won't matter to me if the CVC/service provider issue is resolved - the line probably won't be physically capable of providing much more than what I have now, if at all. And I'll be far from being the only one.

What the fuck was the point of spending billions on installing new junctions so that the brand-new high tech can be plugged into decrepit and obsolete tech? Could there be a more textbook definition of the word "stupid"? It's like spending a shitload of money on installing modern plugs for a 1980 Atari and expecting it to magically be heaps better just because it's plugged into a modern tv/computer.

I'm sure the bloke who has the new node on the footpath right in front of his house will be able to take advantage of the service since the copper between his computer and the node will only be about 10 metres long. But that potential will decrease for every few houses further away.

I also believe that fibre has a pretty extrordinary potential for upgrades as to the data volumes it can carry. But with copper, what many people have now is about as good as it can get owing to the entirely different physical properties of the two mediums. So an all-fibre network can be upgraded as deemed necessary, and everyone plugged into it all advances together. But with the mongrel hybrid physically ageing copper serving households a significant distance from the node making up a good portion of the overall system, any upgrade to the fibre capacity will mainly only benefit those plugged directly into it and simply increase the digital inequality, further increasing discontent.

In the history of national infrastructure building, MTM must surely rate as one of the worst fuck-ups ever made.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Dec 2017, 09:18

Without a doubt, Lefty.

Buying copper to run FTTN—stupid!

Buying copper that is too thin for fast broadband—beyond stupid

Buying copper that is past end of life—abysmal

MSM is abysmally stupid, it will be used in engineering/telecoms as an example of how NOT to do it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Dec 2017, 09:32

FTTN is used by telcos to sweat the last profits out of their copper. Copper that is 0.6mm diameter, not .3–.4 like the Telstra rubbish. Telstra copper is high impedance, degrades signals faster. Corrosion sketchily repaired (not maintained) further degrades signals. AT&T ran out FFTN but are now replacing that with fibre. Only Australia and Germany are persisting with FTTN—at least the German copper is thick and well–maintained but DT is still making a colossal mistake.

Then the Libs went one step further: the nodes were provided with one 1Gbps fibre to service 192 or 352 copper lines—massive congestion there at peak hours as people stream NetFlix, Stan etc movies or download free material on TV stations’ websites (like the ABC’s iView.) They kept the CVC charge, even tho reducing it but more congestion.

Then the idiot ACCC mandates 121 POI instead of the 14 NBN Co wanted: ACCC listened to the special interest pleading of big telcos like Telstra and Optus. With the 121 POIs (points of interconnect where feeds are sent to the RSPs providing services over the NBN. Smaller telcos have to rent backhaul from the POIs to their servers. More congestion!

FTTN cannot be “upgraded” to FTTH—another Liberal lie—only replaced by it. The node cabinets are not suitable to act as fibre distribution hubs nor are they placed in the optimum position to be a FDH!

A fuckup from arse to breakfast time!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 30 Dec 2017, 10:59

Labor will be in government by the time that I am forcibly required to make the switch to the NBN - hopefully they will have started taking steps to rectify the coalitions extrordinary cock-up by the time I will be forced to make the switch.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby johnsmith » 30 Dec 2017, 12:33

Lefty wrote:Labor will be in government by the time that I am forcibly required to make the switch to the NBN - hopefully they will have started taking steps to rectify the coalitions extrordinary cock-up by the time I will be forced to make the switch.

don't expect miracles ... it'll take a long time to unscramble the mess that the libtards have left us
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Dec 2017, 13:01

Yeah—take 3 years to get FoD/AS rolled out in enough numbers other people are saying “Hey, home come I got really crappy internet and XYZ has really really fast and stable internet?”

But FoD/AS IS the way back to a full FTTH rollout, that and a heavy duty inquiry of some sort into the path to the MTM abortion.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby MilesAway » 30 Dec 2017, 13:35

HBS Guy wrote:FTTN is used by telcos to sweat the last profits out of their copper. Copper that is 0.6mm diameter, not .3–.4 like the Telstra rubbish. Telstra copper is high impedance, degrades signals faster. Corrosion sketchily repaired (not maintained) further degrades signals. AT&T ran out FFTN but are now replacing that with fibre. Only Australia and Germany are persisting with FTTN—at least the German copper is thick and well–maintained but DT is still making a colossal mistake.

Then the Libs went one step further: the nodes were provided with one 1Gbps fibre to service 192 or 352 copper lines—massive congestion there at peak hours as people stream NetFlix, Stan etc movies or download free material on TV stations’ websites (like the ABC’s iView.) They kept the CVC charge, even tho reducing it but more congestion.

Then the idiot ACCC mandates 121 POI instead of the 14 NBN Co wanted: ACCC listened to the special interest pleading of big telcos like Telstra and Optus. With the 121 POIs (points of interconnect where feeds are sent to the RSPs providing services over the NBN. Smaller telcos have to rent backhaul from the POIs to their servers. More congestion!

FTTN cannot be “upgraded” to FTTH—another Liberal lie—only replaced by it. The node cabinets are not suitable to act as fibre distribution hubs nor are they placed in the optimum position to be a FDH!

A fuckup from arse to breakfast time!

The end of paragraph one says we are literally the worst in the world!

:OMG
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 30 Dec 2017, 13:39

Lefty wrote:Labor will be in government by the time that I am forcibly required to make the switch to the NBN - hopefully they will have started taking steps to rectify the coalitions extrordinary cock-up by the time I will be forced to make the switch.

That can’t: contracts are contracts!

It was game over years ago for the next three generations of Australian kids all because libbo c words decided their afterbirth meant shite after getting high on paper profits from the once in a century mining boom!

Libbo voters hate themselves exactly right now,... they can’t believe they fell for the curse of paper profits!

F em :beer

They simply cannot believe they became their nasty parents!

:yellow
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby MilesAway » 30 Dec 2017, 13:47

johnsmith wrote:

don't expect miracles ... it'll take a long time to unscramble the mess that the libtards have left us

It can’t be unscrambled: shorten has made that clear from day one!

We all knew it .... many An Internet address space has been used to explain the issue!

The kids will read all about it!

What can shorten do once contracts have been signed ... ?

Abbott and Turnbull f Australian kids up the arse and before That was the capital “l” iberal party leader called Howard!

This country is in all seriousness a global joke,.. and it survived the global recession by a STRONG BANKING SYSTEM!

No wonder we get laughed at wherever we roam!

9-11 is starting to make sense :yellow
MilesAway
Jaguar

Postby Lefty » 30 Dec 2017, 18:32

Which contracts? (I haven't been a close follower of this issue for a long time)
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby johnsmith » 30 Dec 2017, 18:39

Lefty wrote:Which contracts? (I haven't been a close follower of this issue for a long time)

they have all sorts of contracts out now ...... the one with telstra is probably the biggest but they also have contracts with installers etc.
FD.
johnsmith
Rhinocerus

Postby Lefty » 30 Dec 2017, 19:03

Can't they be offered new contracts to fix the fuck-up they were contracted to install?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Politics