New Australian Republic

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 12:15

HBS Guy wrote:I do NOT like “additional checks. . .”


Checks and balances are necessary for the proper functioning of the American system. One of the problems with the current American system is that each branch of government is too powerful in some respects when they're not supposed to be.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby johnsmith » 11 Oct 2017, 12:58

CaesarAugustus wrote:
If the checks are clear and leave no room for interpretation, then there is no risk of loopholes

you mean like the schemozzle with the dual citizenship fiasco?
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 14:10

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
If the checks are clear and leave no room for interpretation, then there is no risk of loopholes

you mean like the schemozzle with the dual citizenship fiasco?


The issue with the citizenship fiasco is that the provision uses the word 'foreign power' and not foreign citizenship. Notwithstanding my views on what constitutes a 'foreign power' under the current Constitution, I would support an amendment to clarify the issue; something like:

"Any person who holds, knowingly or unknowlingly, any citizenship from any nation that is not of Australia, shall be ineligible to be a member of Parliament."
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 14:12

johnsmith wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
If the checks are clear and leave no room for interpretation, then there is no risk of loopholes

you mean like the schemozzle with the dual citizenship fiasco?


Second, the 'schemozzle' as you point out is due to the fact that these politicians 'supposedly' weren't aware of it (which I find very hard to believe). Irrespective, my view is that it is the responsibility of all politicians to ensure their citizenship status; and the High Court decision should, in my opinion, reflect this. Being unaware is not an excuse. It wouldn't be for you or me; it shouldn't be for them. The Liberal Government is concerned they'll lose their one-seat majority.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby johnsmith » 11 Oct 2017, 14:35

CaesarAugustus wrote: I would support an amendment to clarify the issue; something like:


I think it's already clear. No need to amend anything.

The real problem is that sooner or later politicians will always try to exempt themselves from the rules, no matter how clear the legislation is.
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby BigOl64 » 11 Oct 2017, 17:32

HBS Guy wrote:That freeloading fuckwit is presently called the Governor General.

Why are conservatives so deathly afraid of change? Even the minor change of symbolically cutting the apron string to “mother England?” If you think this doesn’t get noticed outside Australia you are very wrong.

The spectacle of adults mewling they want the monarchy in 2017 {shakes head}



Getting rid of you entire political system without fully understanding what you want to replace it with is not as you people try to make out a 'minor change'

It is fucken huge change, the republicans don't want to admit that getting rid of the Queen and throwing in some weak arse nobody to cut the odd ribbon here or there is incredibly fucking stupid as it leaves a massive power vacuum, one the that will not go unfilled.

Come back when you understand the problem and you have a viable solution.
User avatar
BigOl64
Feral cat
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 29 Sep 2017, 11:35
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 17:37

Other countries have done it and are still in the Commonwealth etc. You are exaggerating the problems.

Sure, it will take careful thought and preparation, more so than we can discuss on a board like this, but it can and should be done. Beyond pathetic to cling on to the apron strings!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby BigOl64 » 11 Oct 2017, 17:58

HBS Guy wrote:Other countries have done it and are still in the Commonwealth etc. You are exaggerating the problems.

Sure, it will take careful thought and preparation, more so than we can discuss on a board like this, but it can and should be done. Beyond pathetic to cling on to the apron strings!



I am not wracked with anxiety and depression about our HoS and even on the change over we as a country will still be the same, that is the great thing about constitutional monarchy, stability. No fucking lunatic president fucking shit up for his own amusement, just more stability and calm. Imaging us with a fuckheaded prime minister or what ever the replacement is and a lunatic president at the same time. We'd make Venezuela look like fucken paradise.

That is the problem with the republicans it is all about destroying our current system of government in the hope that something else will make the feel better, they have no idea what it is, but they don't give a fuck they just want the Queen gone.

Show me the plan first before Ill even consider anything.
User avatar
BigOl64
Feral cat
 
Posts: 215
Joined: 29 Sep 2017, 11:35
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 18:03

Nah, you don’t want change not even beneficial change.

I hope we become a republic in my lifetime, getting embarrassing to be tied to England’s apron strings.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 20:03

BigOl64 wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:That freeloading fuckwit is presently called the Governor General.

Why are conservatives so deathly afraid of change? Even the minor change of symbolically cutting the apron string to “mother England?” If you think this doesn’t get noticed outside Australia you are very wrong.

The spectacle of adults mewling they want the monarchy in 2017 {shakes head}



Getting rid of you entire political system without fully understanding what you want to replace it with is not as you people try to make out a 'minor change'

It is fucken huge change, the republicans don't want to admit that getting rid of the Queen and throwing in some weak arse nobody to cut the odd ribbon here or there is incredibly fucking stupid as it leaves a massive power vacuum, one the that will not go unfilled.

Come back when you understand the problem and you have a viable solution.


First of all, the solution I have proposed is completely viable. Second, having a minimalist President won't change the system as it stands; it will just give us an Australian head of state. That's it.

And there won't be a power vacuum because there's no power to be had from a President.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 20:04

HBS Guy wrote:Nah, you don’t want change not even beneficial change.

I hope we become a republic in my lifetime, getting embarrassing to be tied to England’s apron strings.


What's wrong with being tied to England's apron strings? Who cares?
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby Cherie » 11 Oct 2017, 20:12

CaesarAugustus wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Nah, you don’t want change not even beneficial change.

I hope we become a republic in my lifetime, getting embarrassing to be tied to England’s apron strings.


What's wrong with being tied to England's apron strings? Who cares?

I dont think it matters at all
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
User avatar
Cherie
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 22:11

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:25

It matters. Symbolism is very powerful. People die for King and Country etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 20:29

HBS Guy wrote:It matters. Symbolism is very powerful. People die for King and Country etc.


Symbolism is important. 'King and Country' has been in the name of freedom all over the world.

We are a British nation, we have inherited the legacy of the British nation. Our quality of life is because of our legacy of the British nation.
Last edited by CaesarAugustus on 11 Oct 2017, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby Cherie » 11 Oct 2017, 20:31

HBS Guy wrote:It matters. Symbolism is very powerful. People die for King and Country etc.

what a stupid reason- it doesnt matter to me- its a personal decision most of aus thinks like me
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
User avatar
Cherie
Jaguar
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 22:11

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:35

Yeah, so being actually free of the last vestiges of English rule of our land is powerful and important symbolism, to us and to our neighbors and trading partners.

Might be a way to get this to stop being such a pissant little country too.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby johnsmith » 11 Oct 2017, 20:36

A.G wrote:what a stupid reason



yet it's the same reason they want to ban the burqa :grn :grn :grn
User avatar
johnsmith
mountain lion
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 20:38

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, so being actually free of the last vestiges of English rule of our land is powerful and important symbolism, to us and to our neighbors and trading partners.

Might be a way to get this to stop being such a pissant little country too.


What's made us a pissant country is that we have moved away from Britain, and tried to assert our independent. If we integrate further into the Commonwealth Realm, then we'll no longer be a pissant country.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:43

No. We need to stand on our own two feet which we are not doing now.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby Aussie » 11 Oct 2017, 20:45

CaesarAugustus wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, so being actually free of the last vestiges of English rule of our land is powerful and important symbolism, to us and to our neighbors and trading partners.

Might be a way to get this to stop being such a pissant little country too.


What's made us a pissant country is that we have moved away from Britain, and tried to assert our independent. If we integrate further into the Commonwealth Realm, then we'll no longer be a pissant country.


Caesar....how does one integrate further into a diminishing environment and achieve much, if anything?
User avatar
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 20:58

Aussie wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, so being actually free of the last vestiges of English rule of our land is powerful and important symbolism, to us and to our neighbors and trading partners.

Might be a way to get this to stop being such a pissant little country too.


What's made us a pissant country is that we have moved away from Britain, and tried to assert our independent. If we integrate further into the Commonwealth Realm, then we'll no longer be a pissant country.


Caesar....how does one integrate further into a diminishing environment and achieve much, if anything?


Because we'd be part of global community that shares similar values to us. We're not big enough to go at it on our own, we'll always rely on America regardless.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:59

Even the US looks for allies.

We need to stand on our own two feet, not on our knees to Mother England.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby Aussie » 11 Oct 2017, 21:11

CaesarAugustus wrote:
Aussie wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, so being actually free of the last vestiges of English rule of our land is powerful and important symbolism, to us and to our neighbors and trading partners.

Might be a way to get this to stop being such a pissant little country too.


What's made us a pissant country is that we have moved away from Britain, and tried to assert our independent. If we integrate further into the Commonwealth Realm, then we'll no longer be a pissant country.


Caesar....how does one integrate further into a diminishing environment and achieve much, if anything?


Because we'd be part of global community that shares similar values to us. We're not big enough to go at it on our own, we'll always rely on America regardless.


We were and are.....the Commonwealth....erstwhile the Empire. It is diminishing. We can still be a Republic and retain the political, commercial, trading, social, collegiate and even military alliance with the UK.
User avatar
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union
 
Posts: 4277
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Oct 2017, 21:16

I doubt we share many values with India or Pakistan etc. I don’t rate the Commonwealth highly but the more places/combinations can talk instead of shoot is always good.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 42619
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: New Australian Republic

Postby CaesarAugustus » 11 Oct 2017, 21:31

Aussie wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
Aussie wrote:
CaesarAugustus wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, so being actually free of the last vestiges of English rule of our land is powerful and important symbolism, to us and to our neighbors and trading partners.

Might be a way to get this to stop being such a pissant little country too.


What's made us a pissant country is that we have moved away from Britain, and tried to assert our independent. If we integrate further into the Commonwealth Realm, then we'll no longer be a pissant country.


Caesar....how does one integrate further into a diminishing environment and achieve much, if anything?


Because we'd be part of global community that shares similar values to us. We're not big enough to go at it on our own, we'll always rely on America regardless.


We were and are.....the Commonwealth....erstwhile the Empire. It is diminishing. We can still be a Republic and retain the political, commercial, trading, social, collegiate and even military alliance with the UK.


It's different. Symbolism is important. Having the Monarchy and the Union Jack are symbols that indicate our nationhood.

I know you and I disagree on this issue. Let's agree to disagree. It's ultimately personal. I feel an affiliation for Britain, and consider myself to be pseudo-British. You feel strongly Australian and identify Australia as its own nation.

From a practical perspective, I think the majority of Australians support the status quo.
"Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
CaesarAugustus
Red Czar
 
Posts: 400
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 18:05
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests