Adani

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Adani

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 11:02

Don’t watch 4Corners tonight!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Hey BigOle!

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 13:47

HBS Guy wrote:Don’t watch 4Corners tonight!

I don't watch it any night, but thanks for the warning. :read :read
BigOl64
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 13:53

OK Ill bite, what's it about?
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 13:55

BigOl64 wrote:OK Ill bite, what's it about?

Adani being 'naughty.'
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 13:56

Ahahaha it is about your favorite mine, or at least its owner and his business and environmental behavior.

I don’t watch it any more either, the ABC has lost its mojo, the indepth, quality stuff just isn’t there anymore. 7.30 Report is just a slightly upmarket TodayTonight or ACA.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 13:59

HBS Guy wrote:Ahahaha it is about your favorite mine, or at least its owner and his business and environmental behavior.

I don’t watch it any more either, the ABC has lost its mojo, the indepth, quality stuff just isn’t there anymore. 7.30 Report is just a slightly upmarket TodayTonight or ACA.

I love all mines equally, didn't you know that?

If you want to know about extreme environmental damage google BHP Ok Tedi.

I don't mind dickhead greenies carrying on like pork chops, but they better be honest and treat everyone the same, even the GBR destroying farmers.
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 14:02

No argument from me!

The Greenies forget we are part of the ecosystem too. Plus they are little more than neocons now after decades of playing to their very wealthy inner city base. I think the tide is going out from the Greens a bit now, unfortunately to the PHON loonies! :jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 14:03

Ok Tedi was a crime against humanity, plus Conzinc RioTinto was worse!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 14:06

HBS Guy wrote:Ok Tedi was a crime against humanity, plus Conzinc RioTinto was worse!

So these idiots carrying on like Adani is the fucken Lone Ranger of environment harm is a bit beyond the pale if you ask me.
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 14:09

Look, I don’t know. However, since they have their hand out for $1bn of our money it is fitting that the blowtorch be applied to them.

I think Mr Adani is about skint, needs the mine to raise loans on.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 14:18

HBS Guy wrote:Look, I don’t know. However, since they have their hand out for $1bn of our money it is fitting that the blowtorch be applied to them.

I think Mr Adani is about skint, needs the mine to raise loans on.

That money is a loan from the Northern Infrastructure Fund, that is the sort of stuff it is supposed to be used for, infrastructure in the north.

In three years not a single cent has been spent from this fund to develop the north or give jobs to its people, you can see why we are a little tetchy after this appalling unemployment rate was allowed to develop, don't you?

While Brisbane has an unemployment rate of less than 5% and the North has over 10% you cab see why we don't give a fuck about the opinions of fuckheaded southerners can't you?

This is not about the environment for us, it is about our survival and the ability to feed our families and $20 bil goes a long way to making that happen.
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 14:22

BigOl64 wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Ok Tedi was a crime against humanity, plus Conzinc RioTinto was worse!

So these idiots carrying on like Adani is the fucken Lone Ranger of environment harm is a bit beyond the pale if you ask me.

Well, it is the current topic I guess.

The Shenhua mine is maybe a more immediate problem: that goes ahead the Liverpool Plains will be stuffed: pollution, damage to groundwater etc. Liverpool Plains are about our best agricultural land.

Then there is the extension of mining in the Sydney water catchment—that has to be the definition of lunacy!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 14:29

I wish some government with guts would put a nuke plant somewhere up there, that should give the North a much bigger boost than a mine that won’t go ahead.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 14:30

HBS Guy wrote:
BigOl64 wrote:

Well, it is the current topic I guess.

The Shenhua mine is maybe a more immediate problem: that goes ahead the Liverpool Plains will be stuffed: pollution, damage to groundwater etc. Liverpool Plains are about our best agricultural land.

Then there is the extension of mining in the Sydney water catchment—that has to be the definition of lunacy!

This is the problem I have, is the lack of intelligence with the greeny types and their hypocrisy, everyone seems too scared to bitch slap them whenever they say or do something this stupid. If they want to save the planet and return us to the stone age, fine, then say that, This only picking on one mine and not the rest or only picking on one industry and not the others is fucken bullshit.
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Re: Adani

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 14:38

Bloody Aussie—couple of posts should be added here. That is why I said I will split and move tonight, keep discussion flowing in one thread.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Aussie » 02 Oct 2017, 14:41

HBS Guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm
We agree the Greens are useless! No argument from me at all! The Party, the Senators etc is rightwing, conservative and doesn’t give two stuffs about the environment, just as long as the inner city is looked after!

I know—you mention it often enough—the problems of FNQ. I just don’t see Adani/Carmichael as a savior is all. Nor is it going to help the millions of poor Indians without light etc.

As someone with real concern about our environmentI want to see emissions reduced and that means us doing our bit like every country should.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 14:57

Aussie wrote:HBS Guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm
We agree the Greens are useless! No argument from me at all! The Party, the Senators etc is rightwing, conservative and doesn’t give two stuffs about the environment, just as long as the inner city is looked after!

I know—you mention it often enough—the problems of FNQ. I just don’t see Adani/Carmichael as a savior is all. Nor is it going to help the millions of poor Indians without light etc.

As someone with real concern about our environmentI want to see emissions reduced and that means us doing our bit like every country should.

All that money will go in to many pockets and many businesses in the north, so I can't see it can't help the north, you don't need to have a mining job to benefit from mining money, the previous mining boom shows that.

As for the indians not getting power, what do you suspect he will be doing with all that coal then?

Your post seems a little contrived, or poorly written as I can't see why $20 bil would not have a positive effect and why using high calorie coal to replace low calorie coal to run power stations would not benefit india and it's people.
'
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 15:00

Let us see the $20Bil spent first, eh?

Secondly, they have been given far too generous terms, like unlimited GAB water! WRONG!

Instead of coal or nuclear—a Snowy type scheme on Qld rivers like the Burdekin would be a nice boost: send the water west through the mountains, irrigation, hydro etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 15:10

HBS Guy wrote:Let us see the $20Bil spent first, eh?

Secondly, they have been given far too generous terms, like unlimited GAB water! WRONG!

Instead of coal or nuclear—a Snowy type scheme on Qld rivers like the Burdekin would be a nice boost: send the water west through the mountains, irrigation, hydro etc.

Rumour has it that the Tuck shop lady is talking about lifting the Burdekin and kitting it out with hydro power, unfortunately and full book it will power only 30 000 houses.

That won't cover anywhere close to what we have now let alone growth or industry needs. As usual with that woman, too little too late
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 15:16

I mean, dam it up high, the Burdekin and its main tributary, send the water through the mountains, hydro and irrigation. Revitalise agriculture there, cheap power for the region, jobs and recharge the Darling and through it the GAB. Seems more useful to me than a maybe actual coal mine owned by a dubious character.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 15:22

HBS Guy wrote:I mean, dam it up high, the Burdekin and its main tributary, send the water through the mountains, hydro and irrigation. Revitalise agriculture there, cheap power for the region, jobs and recharge the Darling and through it the GAB. Seems more useful to me than a maybe actual coal mine owned by a dubious character.

It can only go up another 8 - 9 metres and that is it, the water will just 'go around the sides' of the mountains

The water comes from an inland catchment to the dam and the Burdekin is used to irrigate farmland on it short run to the sea. There is no room to turn it around back over the mountains once it gets past the dam wall.

We were lucky to get that, can't the government spending much more on the north, when there would be a monorail needed somewhere in south east Queensland. :roll :roll
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 15:27

I mean dam it high up in the mountains! then send the water through the mountains, like in the original Snowy scheme! Of course, the fucking Greens will object to a dam :roll :roll :roll but WE are part of the ecosystem too, we can still ensure water goes down the Burdekin.

A lot of water goes over the dam at its mouth, have heard all about that from my Gladstone mate. Love to see that happening some time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 15:28

Damn, wish my mate Lefty—you will never guess his political orientation—would join in now.

What other rivers are there that could be tapped?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby BigOl64 » 02 Oct 2017, 15:37

HBS Guy wrote:I mean dam it high up in the mountains! then send the water through the mountains, like in the original Snowy scheme! Of course, the fucking Greens will object to a dam :roll :roll :roll but WE are part of the ecosystem too, we can still ensure water goes down the Burdekin.

A lot of water goes over the dam at its mouth, have heard all about that from my Gladstone mate. Love to see that happening some time.

Yeah the mountains you are talking about aren't that high and the dam is pretty much up on the range and the run to the sea is only about 100 kms, so that dam can go up another 9 mtrs and it is maxed out. A coup of years back it overflowed the spillway by about 2 metres for about 5 months before it stopped, its catchment is huge but the storage isn't big enough to hold it all in a big wet.

We get told a lot of lies about government spending in the north, promises are easy to make and even easier to break.
BigOl64
Jack Russell

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Oct 2017, 15:40

FNQ is not the only area to notice that!

How do you tell when a politician is lying? His lips are moving.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Politics