Australian economy

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Australian economy

Postby HBS Guy » 03 May 2019, 16:37

Flat wages, declining property values lead to another dire statistic:

New vehicle sales slumped in April as part of an ongoing trend tied to housing market woes, natural disasters and this month’s federal election.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ figures showed a 22 per cent monthly decrease in sales for April, arresting the uptick in March.

A total of 77,550 vehicles were sold during April, compared to 99,442 last month, and 82,930 in April 2018.


https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/03/vehicle-sales-slump-april/

Anybody think cutting the cash rate from 1.5 (at least 1% too low) to 1.25% is going to “fix” all these signs of flat wages? Didn’t think so.

Restore penalty rates, intervene in wage cases to get wage rates, pump some money into the economy (Labor should ignore all the screams and start running out the real NBN from day 1, fuck the money, we need to get money into the private sector! All this idiocy about getting the Budget into surplus by the Libs (who have nothing else, no policy agenda) shows very clearly indeed that a government surplus means a private sector deficit which is only wanted when inflation is stalking the land.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australian economy

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 14:08

HBS Guy wrote:
Reserve Bank cuts interest rates to 2pc

The Reserve Bank has cut official interest rates by 25 basis points to a fresh record low of 2 per cent.

After cutting rates by 25 basis points in February, the bank had kept the cash rate target steady for the past couple of months, despite economist expectations of another cut.

Once again, 25 out of 29 market economists told Bloomberg ahead of the meeting that they expected the Reserve Bank to cut, and this time they were not disappointed.

If passed on in full, the move would save a borrower with a $300,000 mortgage around $47 per month in repayments.

However, most analysts are now expecting the Reserve Bank to sit on the sidelines, with the majority of experts tipping the next rate move will be up, but probably not until 2016.



WTF this is supposed to do I don’t know and the board of the RBA doesn’t either. They have shot the last shot in the locker, had already when they cut to 2.5%. Iron ore prices are not as weak as they think. We need a new RBA board as well as a new government!

I fear this stupid cut will accelerate the loss of our AAA rating—have been rumblings already.


GIven the entire international monetary ’system’ is no more than a game of smoke and mirrors with the largest percentage of transactions now hidden from public view any attempt to make logical predictions of where this mess is going is anything but a science.
Take for instance the instantaniously trading algorithms floating around stock markets all over the planet. Some of these have taken on an independent life outside of the control of their creators. I should confess however my perspective may be somewhat warped having worked at the Melbourne Stock Exchange during one of the insane boom periods that eventually bankrupted as many as it made billionaires.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby SethBullock » 30 Jan 2020, 14:19

HBS Guy wrote:SA sitting on maybe $1Trn worth of shale oil:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... z2IpiY6XSB

Hope we don’t export it—a field can be drained very fucking quickly but use it as a feedstock for petrochemicals and cheap energy for high value manufactures.


$1 Trillion worth of shale oil, you say? Hmmm ...

We could send in the U.S. Marines. Sounds to me like you need some freedom!

Your welcome. :buddy
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet
User avatar
SethBullock
Warthog
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 12:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 15:10

Ha! Bivouac your forces on the banks of Lake Torrens, what could go wrong, right?
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australian economy

Postby Dax » 30 Jan 2020, 15:31

HBS Guy wrote:Flat wages, declining property values lead to another dire statistic:

New vehicle sales slumped in April as part of an ongoing trend tied to housing market woes, natural disasters and this month’s federal election.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ figures showed a 22 per cent monthly decrease in sales for April, arresting the uptick in March.

A total of 77,550 vehicles were sold during April, compared to 99,442 last month, and 82,930 in April 2018.


https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/03/vehicle-sales-slump-april/

Anybody think cutting the cash rate from 1.5 (at least 1% too low) to 1.25% is going to “fix” all these signs of flat wages? Didn’t think so.

Restore penalty rates, intervene in wage cases to get wage rates, pump some money into the economy (Labor should ignore all the screams and start running out the real NBN from day 1, fuck the money, we need to get money into the private sector! All this idiocy about getting the Budget into surplus by the Libs (who have nothing else, no policy agenda) shows very clearly indeed that a government surplus means a private sector deficit which is only wanted when inflation is stalking the land.


There are finite limits to economic growth, because it relies upon growing population, increasing consumerism, short life time goods, rising prices and corporate profit growth.

Of those, growing population is still happening, consumerism is slowing down rapidly and smart people are waking up to the turn over shoddy goods society. Prices continue to rise and corporate profit growth has been relying upon rationalisation and price rises, whilst restraining wages. If you look at them all you will find they have reached their zenith years ago and all they have been doing is trying to prop up their failing economic ideology.

Nothing will save the world current economic approach, because it is unsustainable, even pumping money into the economy will do nothing, because it all goes to less and less people, whilst they continue to cut jobs to raise profits. It's a merry go round which has come to the end of it's life and is falling apart.

It's notable they are still throwing money at last century approaches, not one cent is put into this century technology, jobs or economic approach. Many people are beginning to realise they are living to work, rather than working to live. I've always worked to live and never lived to work and so should everyone, that's how we should all live. For that we need a sustainable economy, technological and environmental growth/advancement. For that to work, we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Dax » 30 Jan 2020, 15:35

SethBullock wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:SA sitting on maybe $1Trn worth of shale oil:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... z2IpiY6XSB

Hope we don’t export it—a field can be drained very fucking quickly but use it as a feedstock for petrochemicals and cheap energy for high value manufactures.


$1 Trillion worth of shale oil, you say? Hmmm ...

We could send in the U.S. Marines. Sounds to me like you need some freedom!

Your welcome. :buddy


Of course, just add another USA invasion and attempted take over, to the almost 100 USA military invasions it's carried out in the last 75 years. Thing is, even though the yanks invade constantly, they have yet to win one war since ww2 :S
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 15:39

Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Flat wages, declining property values lead to another dire statistic:

New vehicle sales slumped in April as part of an ongoing trend tied to housing market woes, natural disasters and this month’s federal election.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ figures showed a 22 per cent monthly decrease in sales for April, arresting the uptick in March.

A total of 77,550 vehicles were sold during April, compared to 99,442 last month, and 82,930 in April 2018.


https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/03/vehicle-sales-slump-april/

Anybody think cutting the cash rate from 1.5 (at least 1% too low) to 1.25% is going to “fix” all these signs of flat wages? Didn’t think so.

Restore penalty rates, intervene in wage cases to get wage rates, pump some money into the economy (Labor should ignore all the screams and start running out the real NBN from day 1, fuck the money, we need to get money into the private sector! All this idiocy about getting the Budget into surplus by the Libs (who have nothing else, no policy agenda) shows very clearly indeed that a government surplus means a private sector deficit which is only wanted when inflation is stalking the land.


There are finite limits to economic growth, because it relies upon growing population, increasing consumerism, short life time goods, rising prices and corporate profit growth.

Of those, growing population is still happening, consumerism is slowing down rapidly and smart people are waking up to the turn over shoddy goods society. Prices continue to rise and corporate profit growth has been relying upon rationalisation and price rises, whilst restraining wages. If you look at them all you will find they have reached their zenith years ago and all they have been doing is trying to prop up their failing economic ideology.

Nothing will save the world current economic approach, because it is unsustainable, even pumping money into the economy will do nothing, because it all goes to less and less people, whilst they continue to cut jobs to raise profits. It's a merry go round which has come to the end of it's life and is falling apart.

It's notable they are still throwing money at last century approaches, not one cent is put into this century technology, jobs or economic approach. Many people are beginning to realise they are living to work, rather than working to live. I've always worked to live and never lived to work and so should everyone, that's how we should all live. For that we need a sustainable economy, technological and environmental growth/advancement. For that to work, we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.

I agree with most of that except "we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.” With the spread of artificial intelligence and cheaper robotics being available to smaller businesses the game is going to become unpredictable.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 16:19

How much of “small business” is one person operations? It just is not the engine of economic growth despite all the lip service politicians pay to that sector.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australian economy

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 16:24

HBS Guy wrote:How much of “small business” is one person operations? It just is not the engine of economic growth despite all the lip service politicians pay to that sector.

The last thing we need at this point in time is an ‘engine of ecomonic growth’ unless such includes technologies replacing those killing the life of this planet.
Every time I hear a politician prattle on about GROWTH without qualification I want to scream.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Dax » 30 Jan 2020, 16:55

karlrand wrote:
Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Flat wages, declining property values lead to another dire statistic:

New vehicle sales slumped in April as part of an ongoing trend tied to housing market woes, natural disasters and this month’s federal election.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ figures showed a 22 per cent monthly decrease in sales for April, arresting the uptick in March.

A total of 77,550 vehicles were sold during April, compared to 99,442 last month, and 82,930 in April 2018.


https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/03/vehicle-sales-slump-april/

Anybody think cutting the cash rate from 1.5 (at least 1% too low) to 1.25% is going to “fix” all these signs of flat wages? Didn’t think so.

Restore penalty rates, intervene in wage cases to get wage rates, pump some money into the economy (Labor should ignore all the screams and start running out the real NBN from day 1, fuck the money, we need to get money into the private sector! All this idiocy about getting the Budget into surplus by the Libs (who have nothing else, no policy agenda) shows very clearly indeed that a government surplus means a private sector deficit which is only wanted when inflation is stalking the land.


There are finite limits to economic growth, because it relies upon growing population, increasing consumerism, short life time goods, rising prices and corporate profit growth.

Of those, growing population is still happening, consumerism is slowing down rapidly and smart people are waking up to the turn over shoddy goods society. Prices continue to rise and corporate profit growth has been relying upon rationalisation and price rises, whilst restraining wages. If you look at them all you will find they have reached their zenith years ago and all they have been doing is trying to prop up their failing economic ideology.

Nothing will save the world current economic approach, because it is unsustainable, even pumping money into the economy will do nothing, because it all goes to less and less people, whilst they continue to cut jobs to raise profits. It's a merry go round which has come to the end of it's life and is falling apart.

It's notable they are still throwing money at last century approaches, not one cent is put into this century technology, jobs or economic approach. Many people are beginning to realise they are living to work, rather than working to live. I've always worked to live and never lived to work and so should everyone, that's how we should all live. For that we need a sustainable economy, technological and environmental growth/advancement. For that to work, we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.

I agree with most of that except "we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.” With the spread of artificial intelligence and cheaper robotics being available to smaller businesses the game is going to become unpredictable.


Not at all, small business is face to face, big business is the opposite in every way. Small business, including small farming creates real competition and employment. Big business and big farming destroys employment and competition. They are already beginning to realise the negative effect automation is having on humanity, economically and socially. Schools are banning phones, going back to reading and writing and increasing physical activity, even if it's only on a small scale at the moment. Won't help though, kids are educated to be clones, so have little life experience, other than their never ending selfies :rofl :rofl :rofl :grn

Same with automated cars, what will people do, no work, no need for skills, no need for education, no need for moving, no need for humans. With all this wonderful stuff, all you have to do is pull the plug and no automation or autonomous robots. Just one big blast from the sun and no more electronics, or a big EMF event, everything stops.

Now they are getting rid of 5+10 cent coins and introducing limits on using cash to make purchases, then they will lower that limit over the next couple of years and finally remove cash. They say this is to stop the black market and put that money into the economy. It just shows how stupid and corrupt they all are, all that will do is bring in another form of payment not using banks, or cash. Which they will probably try to ban.

But the bigger your black market, the bigger the economy. People use the supposed black market to get things cheaper, that money ends up back in the economy as it's re-spent over and over, creating taxes, turnover and general revenue. If you try to squash the black market, you squash one of the biggest revenue makers in society.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby johnsmith » 30 Jan 2020, 17:26

Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Flat wages, declining property values lead to another dire statistic:

New vehicle sales slumped in April as part of an ongoing trend tied to housing market woes, natural disasters and this month’s federal election.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ figures showed a 22 per cent monthly decrease in sales for April, arresting the uptick in March.

A total of 77,550 vehicles were sold during April, compared to 99,442 last month, and 82,930 in April 2018.


https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/03/vehicle-sales-slump-april/

Anybody think cutting the cash rate from 1.5 (at least 1% too low) to 1.25% is going to “fix” all these signs of flat wages? Didn’t think so.

Restore penalty rates, intervene in wage cases to get wage rates, pump some money into the economy (Labor should ignore all the screams and start running out the real NBN from day 1, fuck the money, we need to get money into the private sector! All this idiocy about getting the Budget into surplus by the Libs (who have nothing else, no policy agenda) shows very clearly indeed that a government surplus means a private sector deficit which is only wanted when inflation is stalking the land.


There are finite limits to economic growth, because it relies upon growing population, increasing consumerism, short life time goods, rising prices and corporate profit growth.

Of those, growing population is still happening, consumerism is slowing down rapidly and smart people are waking up to the turn over shoddy goods society. Prices continue to rise and corporate profit growth has been relying upon rationalisation and price rises, whilst restraining wages. If you look at them all you will find they have reached their zenith years ago and all they have been doing is trying to prop up their failing economic ideology.

Nothing will save the world current economic approach, because it is unsustainable, even pumping money into the economy will do nothing, because it all goes to less and less people, whilst they continue to cut jobs to raise profits. It's a merry go round which has come to the end of it's life and is falling apart.

It's notable they are still throwing money at last century approaches, not one cent is put into this century technology, jobs or economic approach. Many people are beginning to realise they are living to work, rather than working to live. I've always worked to live and never lived to work and so should everyone, that's how we should all live. For that we need a sustainable economy, technological and environmental growth/advancement. For that to work, we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.


well whadayaknow ... for once i agree with Dax :yahoo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9684
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby johnsmith » 30 Jan 2020, 17:30

karlrand wrote:I agree with most of that except "we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.” With the spread of artificial intelligence and cheaper robotics being available to smaller businesses the game is going to become unpredictable.


when you say small business growth are you talking about small businesses getting bigger, or more small businesses?

Most small business owners just want to make a decent living. They're not interested in building a mega corporation. Big business however often cuts them off at the knees so they either grow into something thats no longer a small business, or they die.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9684
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 18:20

Small business just does not have access to the capital needed to grow into a medium or big business.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australian economy

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 18:22

HBS Guy wrote:Small business just does not have access to the capital needed to grow into a medium or big business.

Good... medium leading to big is stupido!! :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 18:25

karlrand wrote:
Dax wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Flat wages, declining property values lead to another dire statistic:

New vehicle sales slumped in April as part of an ongoing trend tied to housing market woes, natural disasters and this month’s federal election.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries’ figures showed a 22 per cent monthly decrease in sales for April, arresting the uptick in March.

A total of 77,550 vehicles were sold during April, compared to 99,442 last month, and 82,930 in April 2018.


https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/05/03/vehicle-sales-slump-april/

Anybody think cutting the cash rate from 1.5 (at least 1% too low) to 1.25% is going to “fix” all these signs of flat wages? Didn’t think so.

Restore penalty rates, intervene in wage cases to get wage rates, pump some money into the economy (Labor should ignore all the screams and start running out the real NBN from day 1, fuck the money, we need to get money into the private sector! All this idiocy about getting the Budget into surplus by the Libs (who have nothing else, no policy agenda) shows very clearly indeed that a government surplus means a private sector deficit which is only wanted when inflation is stalking the land.


There are finite limits to economic growth, because it relies upon growing population, increasing consumerism, short life time goods, rising prices and corporate profit growth.

Of those, growing population is still happening, consumerism is slowing down rapidly and smart people are waking up to the turn over shoddy goods society. Prices continue to rise and corporate profit growth has been relying upon rationalisation and price rises, whilst restraining wages. If you look at them all you will find they have reached their zenith years ago and all they have been doing is trying to prop up their failing economic ideology.

Nothing will save the world current economic approach, because it is unsustainable, even pumping money into the economy will do nothing, because it all goes to less and less people, whilst they continue to cut jobs to raise profits. It's a merry go round which has come to the end of it's life and is falling apart.

It's notable they are still throwing money at last century approaches, not one cent is put into this century technology, jobs or economic approach. Many people are beginning to realise they are living to work, rather than working to live. I've always worked to live and never lived to work and so should everyone, that's how we should all live. For that we need a sustainable economy, technological and environmental growth/advancement. For that to work, we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.

I agree with most of that except "we need small business growth not corporate growth. Small business is the backbone of employment, big business is the death of employment.” With the spread of artificial intelligence and cheaper robotics being available to smaller businesses the game is going to become unpredictable.

It's not unpredictable: services are now gone!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Bongalong » 30 Jan 2020, 18:29

HBS Guy wrote:How much of “small business” is one person operations? It just is not the engine of economic growth despite all the lip service politicians pay to that sector.

Nice comment, but partnership is not unheard of! :jump :oops :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: 25 Jun 2018, 11:48
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Chuck » 30 Jan 2020, 19:06

The Trade Union movement in the Late 70s and early 80's tried to slow down the advancement of technology before a viable alternative replacement employment accommodated the displaced employees. At that stage I worked for Telecom Australia now known as Telstra, as my previous employer.

In my last place of employment, the sales pitch by the company’s management that retraining of employee's into new technology era would result in at least 90% of these employees in being retained.

The new technology involved the retrained person being a store man and clerk etc.

Unfortunately, only about 10% of employees were retained.

My message to many young folks is not to trust management when presented the positive spiel by any corporation

I tried to pass this message on to the local Dick Smith branch that they should start looking for alternative employment when it was mentioned that employees would be safe.

They looked at me as a stupid old fart and that branch closed down within 2 months.

Initially, I thought that I could make an impact on the attendees at an AGM, but in the end I was dealing with old farts more interested with them getting a sandwich.

The AGM appears that the manipulation and corruption on the part of management and its board, were on par with their accusation of the Trade Unions movement.

I was denied life time membership because of my anti-Labor stance, even thou I believed in the concept of Unionism
The definition of Unionism doesn’t imply supporting the Labor Party.
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 789
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Squire » 30 Jan 2020, 21:03

Australia is addicted to immigration because it masks economic malaise because immigrants spend a lot of money to establish themselves. Due to excessive immigration, Australian GDP is higher than it would otherwise be.

There is now talk about reducing the number of permanent immigrants while increasing non-permanent foreign workers who are eventually expelled from Australia's poop-chute when the government deems them no longer useful.

Apart from the eventual traffic and transport congestion and the excessive demand for infrastructure and services caused by excessive immigration, all migrants whether permanent of temporary cause downward pressure on wages which benefits big corporations.

The excessive rate of immigration portends that Australian unemployment will never fall below 5% while immigration rates remain high. It also portends that wage rises will be very moderate if any.
User avatar
Squire
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 19 Aug 2016, 10:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Chuck » 30 Jan 2020, 22:13

On rare occasions I agree with Squire!
We need to get away from relying on overseas investment in the property market and mineral resources.

Our current politicians should have learnt from the Pommies influence, when in the 70-80's that they considered us as a simpleton country..

Their advise given, that we should concentrate on making washing machines and TV''s whilst they concentrated on the space race.

Isn’t it ironic that we are currently trying to enter the space arena!

From my personal and kiddies affect of our immigration policy. One area, is the Educational industry were every overseas student should be forced to return to their homeland for at least two years before getting residency.

I’m awaiting for contrary views to my suggestion.

Be sure that I’m prepared to argue on this point, As a hint, I’ve travelled to many underdeveloped countries!
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 789
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby karlrand » 31 Jan 2020, 06:38

Chuck wrote:From my personal and kiddies affect of our immigration policy. One area, is the Educational industry were every overseas student should be forced to return to their homeland for at least two years before getting residency.

I’m awaiting for contrary views to my suggestion.

Be sure that I’m prepared to argue on this point, As a hint, I’ve travelled to many underdeveloped countries!

Intersting point forcing overseas students home for at least two years after their Oz studies. Having worked in the office that managed Columbo Plan students I see the logic.
However, all of this admittedly interesting discussion is only dancing on the deck of the Titanic.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby karlrand » 31 Jan 2020, 08:50

[quote="HBS Guy”] WTF this is supposed to do I don’t know and the board of the RBA doesn’t either. They have shot the last shot in the locker, had already when they cut to 2.5%. Iron ore prices are not as weak as they think. We need a new RBA board as well as a new government!
I fear this stupid cut will accelerate the loss of our AAA rating—have been rumblings already.[/quote]

We need a miraculous new economic theory taking into account the implications of climate change, the idiocies of Federal politicians and the hidden forces of international black money shunting invisibly around the planet.

As to AAA ratings the entire planet doesn’t deserve one.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Chuck » 31 Jan 2020, 09:39

karlrand wrote:
Chuck wrote:From my personal and kiddies affect of our immigration policy. One area, is the Educational industry were every overseas student should be forced to return to their homeland for at least two years before getting residency.

I’m awaiting for contrary views to my suggestion.

Be sure that I’m prepared to argue on this point, As a hint, I’ve travelled to many underdeveloped countries!

Intersting point forcing overseas students home for at least two years after their Oz studies. Having worked in the office that managed Columbo Plan students I see the logic.
However, all of this admittedly interesting discussion is only dancing on the deck of the Titanic.
The 'Titanic' is the world is overflowing with Uni degree people.

It needs reviewing of what outcomes should be classified as a degree. A good percent of knowledge should be pushed down into the Secondary School area.

Furthermore, here the excess of Uni qualified individuals was also exacerbated by allowing anyone to go to Uni with its 'standing in the eyes of the community' being degraded.
Chuck
mountain lion
 
Posts: 789
Joined: 11 May 2019, 18:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2020, 09:52

No way, unless we have a system of schools for those intending to go to Uni, one for people who just want to leave school and a trade school system. Then can push more STEM into HSs.

I did Leaving in 1964, Leaving Honors in 1965 and that was totally different to the previous three years—too many kids not really wanting to be at school, no interest in learning academic subjects: maths, physics, chemistry, English, geography etc. These left at the end of Year 3, Intermediate.

1966 the rot started and kids were expected to do 6-7 subjects even in Year 5! Nonsense! I did four subjects Maths1, Maths2, Physics, Chemistry in Year 5, think did English in Year 4, can’t remember.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australian economy

Postby karlrand » 31 Jan 2020, 10:02

University degrees today cover a multitude of sins. In Australia only medical, science, engineering etc degrees are worth the paper they’re printed on.
Arts, Psych, M BA degree papers I’ve read over the last few years are often illiterate, sub-standard gibberish posing as learned.
One I recently encountered, for a psych degree focusing on anorexia nervosa, was appalling. Ungrammatical, SMS code used instead of words, specious logic and unjustified conclusions not supported by evidence - the list could go on. However, the learned staff at The Australian Catholic University passed the student with honours.
There’s an old Hungarian saying. “The fish rots from the head down” Well, many universities have appointed M BA’s as deans.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian economy

Postby Dax » 31 Jan 2020, 11:17

I left school at 8, never want back, but have done some courses when they first introduced mature age learning and did those so could get certain licences. Find university trained people to be the worst form of human round, other than those within the sciences, the rest are completely brain dead and useless. They are a burden on the economy because they demand high wages whilst doing nothing of worth but making things even worse.

Just look at the bureaucracy and politicians, just about all university educated and they are the pits of the human race and useless in every way.
User avatar
Dax
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1567
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SethBullock and 3 guests