Australian economy

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Australian economy

Postby Chuck » 31 Jan 2020, 15:57

karlrand wrote:Interesting point forcing overseas students home for at least two years after their Oz studies. Having worked in the office that managed Columbo Plan students I see the logic.
However, all of this admittedly interesting discussion is only dancing on the deck of the Titanic.
I find it morally wrong that we financially pilfer Doctors and allied medical professionals from 3rd world countries.

Many students and professionals come here to study, under the pretext to update their skills for the benefit of their homeland community. Instead use the Uni as a channel to get residency’s status here.

On a recent tour, I met an Australian lady of Chinese origin, whinging with my wife about Uni graduates from Asian countries being prepared to work for lower dollars per/Hr.

Her adult child was competing with Asian graduates whose parents have purchased them a car and house. One of my kids is in a similar position trying to pay off the mortgage on a single income.

Many businesses are not employing graduates on their merits but from a cost point of view!

Therefore, by forcing foreign graduates back home for a minimum of two years will result in getting residency on a skill based need for areas within our country.
Chuck
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby Chuck » 31 Jan 2020, 16:57

HBS Guy wrote:No way, unless we have a system of schools for those intending to go to Uni, one for people who just want to leave school and a trade school system. Then can push more STEM into HSs.
The problem these days, in our era many HS subjects would be classified as hobbyist subjects in the educational arena.

The initial part of Vic high school - up to year 9 - was an introduction to music, metal work and carpentry to find hidden talents and once identified, passed on to their parents, to pursue these actives as after hours school activities.

Get rid of these cop-out subjects such as drama etc!

Kids need to be directed and steered into the core subject. The problem these days is the financial incentives to keep kids going to school for the benefit of parents.

It amounts too HS acting as teenagers childcare centres.

I did Leaving in 1964, Leaving Honors in 1965
Does that equate to Vic Leaving and Matriculation Cert.

In a previous post, I mentioned that because I failed English Grammar twice, I was forced to Matriculate with subjects I never contemplated of doing!
Chuck
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 31 Jan 2020, 17:01

Chuck wrote:was an introduction to music, metal work and carpentry to find hidden talents and once identified, passed on to their parents, to pursue these actives as after hours school activities.

rubbish......... it was so that kids could experience a range of different activities, to better enable them to formulate a plan as to what they wanted to do when they left school, and what subjects they needed to study in order to get onto their desired path.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jan 2020, 17:24

Now idea how they related to Vic, sorry. Years 4 & 5 of HS. Think it is a pity they changed it: Year 5 was a bridge to Uni incl free periods where you could read etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 31 Jan 2020, 18:17

Chuck wrote:I find it morally wrong that we financially pilfer Doctors and allied medical professionals from 3rd world countries.

I wonder how you classify the many Russian medicos who’ve come here to work? A high percentage of them are Jews who have suffered appalling discrimination within the Russian system. On the other hand they often bring with them (Jewish or not) an irrational belief system in what can honestly be called superstitious quackery. OK, they pass local medical exams but then go on to import weird Russian technology that has absolutely no scientific justification for it’s use. Some of it is downright dangerous. How this can be controlled is just one of the many questions the fast changing medical scene in Australia needs to answer.
I’m also puzzled as to how some imported medicos manage to pass their Australian registration exams given their lack of English language skills. I’ve had several dealings with a Dr who passed his Oz registration several years ago but whose spoken English is still almost impossible to decode and whose comprehension of what I attempted to tell him was next to zero. So how do these practitioners pass the local exams?
On the other hand I’ve found a brilliant physician from Moldavia who’s taken out two extra degrees in London. Best GP I’ve ever had.

I have no simple answer to the problem of pilfering Doctors etc from 3rd World countries. If they are escaping dictatorial authoritarian and corrupt governments are we free to pass judgement? On the other hand if, as is often the case, their government financed their studies abroad I suggest they do have a form of moral obligation to return home for a decent period.

One game right wing Governments in Australia have been playing really gives me the sh*ts. The deliberate importation of workers known to be willing to take jobs for far less than Australian award wages, often under appalling workplace conditions. This is more than a devotion to so called free enterprise, it’s a conscious attempt to castrate Australian workers and their unions.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby Chuck » 31 Jan 2020, 20:08

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:was an introduction to music, metal work and carpentry to find hidden talents and once identified, passed on to their parents, to pursue these actives as after hours school activities.

rubbish......... it was so that kids could experience a range of different activities, to better enable them to formulate a plan as to what they wanted to do when they left school, and what subjects they needed to study in order to get onto their desired path.
That might be the modern day thinking but in my younger days as u said, it was just general experience for a young mind.

I can assure u that the music experience ceased in my era and if u wanted to continue along the musical path, it was after hours activity at ur parents expense.

Out of my two kids, only one had an inkling of what they wanted to do as a profession - all did the difficult subjects - not the deceptive maths that Qld employers were mislead with!

I and my wife had suspicions of what profession the eldest one my choose - considering the eldest one used to bring home rocks or mixing a brew from leaves or seeds especially during the primary school years.

Even, I didn’t have clue of what I wanted to do in my life after HS.

Our youngest child was contented to work as a checkout person.

This lazy kid didn’t even fill out the application forms for a Uni placement. It was the eldest that did all the application forms. The youngest one had simply needed to throw darts at want course may be appealing.

This lazy one turned out to lead a State government team for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and currently assesses the viability of projects for State governments funding. What I term as commercial blackmail subsidies!

This is a classic example of what family pressure can achieve!

From being a contented checkout chick to a reasonably highly paid position in the govt system.

Both hated the group assessment system to gain their Uni degree!
Chuck
mountain lion

Previous

Return to Politics