Control of womens’s bodies by churches?

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Control of womens’s bodies by churches?

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Mar 2012, 17:20

Copied from US elections—think it warrants its own thread. Not just women—churches want gays back, not just in the closet but under repression!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Santorum:
From ‘Nominal Catholic’ to Clarion of Faith

GREAT FALLS, Va. — Rick Santorum was, in his own words, a “nominal Catholic” when he met Karen Garver, a neonatal nurse and law student, in 1988. As they made plans to marry and he decided to enter politics, she sent him to her father for advice.

Dr. Kenneth L. Garver was a Pittsburgh pediatrician who specialized in medical genetics. The patriarch of a large Roman Catholic family, he had treated patients considering abortion but was strongly opposed to it.

“We sat across the table and the whole evening we talked about this issue,” Mr. Santorum told an anti-abortion group last October. He left, he said, convinced “that there was only one place to be, from the standpoint of science as well as from the standpoint of faith.”

For Mr. Santorum, a Republican candidate for president, that conversation was an early step on a path into a deeply conservative Catholic culture that has profoundly influenced his life as a husband, father and politician. Over the past two decades, he has undergone a religious transformation that is now spurring a national conversation about faith in the public sphere.

On the campaign trail, he has attacked President Obama for “phony theology,” warned of the “dangers of contraceptives” and rejected John F. Kennedy’s call for strict separation of church and state. His bold expressions of faith could affect his support in this week’s Super Tuesday nominating contests, possibly helping with conservative Christians, especially in the South, but scaring off voters uncomfortable mixing so much religion in politics.

Central to Mr. Santorum’s spiritual life is his wife, whom he calls “the rock which I stand upon.” Before marrying, the couple decided to recommit themselves to their Catholic faith — a turnabout for Karen Santorum, who had been romantically involved with a well-known abortion provider in Pittsburgh and had openly supported abortion rights, according to several people who knew her then.

The Santorums went on to have eight children, including a son who died two hours after birth in 1996 and a daughter, now 3, who has a life-threatening genetic disorder. Unlike Catholics who believe that church doctrine should adapt to changing times and needs, the Santorums believe in a highly traditional Catholicism that adheres fully to what scholars call “the teaching authority” of the pope and his bishops.

“He has a strong sense of that,” said George Weigel, a senior fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, where Mr. Santorum had a fellowship after losing his bid for re-election to the Senate in 2006. “He’s the first national figure of some significance who’s on that side of the Catholic conversation.”

The Santorums’ beliefs are reflected in a succession of lifestyle decisions, including eschewing birth control, home schooling their younger children and sending the older boys to a private academy affiliated with Opus Dei, an influential Catholic movement that emphasizes spiritual holiness.

As members of St. Catherine of Siena, a parish here in the wealthy Northern Virginia suburb of Great Falls, the Santorums are immersed in a community where large families are not uncommon and many mothers leave behind careers to dedicate themselves to child-rearing, as Mrs. Santorum has. Mr. Santorum has been on the church roster as a lector, reading Scripture from the pulpit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/us/po ... wanted=all

Sounds like the same sort of creep as Abbott etc, yuck!

Really looks like Catholic Church has given up on reaching the masses, who might go to church but reject Church teaching esp re contraception etc, and are concentrating, with other denominations, and are going after the rich who might become Senators, Presidents and CEOs etc. The churches’ unending battle for control of a woman’s body!

Can you count all the Catholic creeps in Lib Party? Too many. Reptilian Abbott and his lizard like flicking of the tongue {shudder}
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: New battleground for control of womens’s bodies by churc

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Mar 2012, 11:28

Here is a PB post from a woman who had a child out of wedlock, in those repressive years the fucking churches want to bring back:

Blow by blow description, especially in light of the recent coverage of forced adoptions.

I was not forced, I chose. But in reality there was no choice. No support, no alternative.

Shame for my family, shame for me.

At the age of 21 I resigned a promising a career in the public service, to the horror of my mentors. I could not tell them I was pregnant out of wedlock. In any event, to have married would have meant I had to resign. Married women were then not allowed in the public service. Bit of a no win.

In due course I fled from SA to WA, my parents wondering what the hell I was doing.

There I obtained a position in the WA Public service, where people were kind to me as I attempted to conceal my increasingly obvious condition.

I am unsure as to some events, but looked after some children as well, and later realised that these people were looking after me as well. I cannot forget their kindness.

A young man, a budding chef, offered to marry me, stating the obvious. I refused, but am forever grateful, not merely at his care, but that he loved me for just me.

Whatever, having rebuffed any offer of real help, I went on to give birth.

I wept, I never saw the baby girl, she was whisked away by the Nuns.

I was in the same room as a woman who had miscarried over and over. Who could hardly bear this child being given away in front of her eyes.

Torture. All round.

The nuns harassed me about changing my ways. I wept. The police came to have me sign the adoption papers. I wept uncontrollably in my slight frame and dressing gown.

I signed, weeping.

The woman with the frequent miscarriages should of course have been given birth control options—not in those days, not in the days the churches want to reimpose!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Mar 2012, 23:12

Another incredible installment of the fight to control womens’ bodies:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... f=politics
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Mar 2012, 08:01

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Mar 2012, 20:23

Another attempt to reduce a woman’s control of her own body, this time in Tennessee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 63410.html
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2012, 10:57

Putting this here because while it is not directly about a woman’s control over her own body it is part of the same broad agenda of anti-science trend:

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/03/ ... ?mobile=nc

Tennessee Senate passes a Bill to teach evolution, the origin of life and Global Warming as “scientific controversies.” None of those are any such thing of course.

This is the work of propaganda institutions like the Heartland Institute and the American Legislative Exchange Council, a body funded by large corporations that draws up draft, business-friendly laws that idiotic Repugs introduce into their State Legislatures.

This is an insidious threat to the well being of the people, country and economy of the US. A general “dumbing down” does not help anyone but those who see it as a way to profit from it, like fossil fuel interests not wanting action taken against Global Warming. No doubt churches and brain dead evangelicals welcome this dumbing down, makes people more susceptible to their brand of snake oil. Bah!

Here we have people like JoNova who maintains a blog for brainwashed little monkeys, the sort of idiots who claim they have read the CSIRO-BuMet report on GW but maintain it did not contain any “real science.” When Barry Brooks publishes another scientific paper on his http://bravenewclimate.com/ climate website these programmed, indoctrinated monkeys just say that is “anti science.” This is rejecting facts when they disprove your pet theory, but they do it time after time.

Ignorance is no way for a person, a business or a country to get ahead!

Heh the ThinkProgress article has a little PS:
Tennessee has ushered in spring with a record-shattering heat wave, with temperatures 25 degrees above normal.

In comments some mention Tennessee HS students are going to have difficulties finding colleges to admit them with that handicap of their curriculum being dumbed down.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2012, 12:55

Obama strengthens his commitment to Planned Parnthood.

Again, the most important thing here is that President Obama is fighting for Planned Parenthood and against the Republican war on women. But he's also sending a message that Mitt Romney won't simply be able to define himself. During the primary, Mitt Romney might have been able to treat his candidacy like an Etch-A-Sketch, but that strategy won't work in the general.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/3 ... itt-Romney
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2012, 16:56

Hmmm now also an attack on equal pay in Wisconsin:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... women.html
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Apr 2012, 15:08

Wow, life conceived before sex according to Arizona proposed law:

http://endthelie.com/2012/04/05/arizona ... z1rPfUMW30

Fuckwits!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jun 2012, 11:07

This is sickmaking!

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2012/05 ... l-beliefs/

Rape victim did get emergency treatment/rape kit at the next hospital she applied at.

Sick!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jun 2012, 11:09

Religious cunts instilling hate in children:

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/dav ... t-no-homos

There just is no limits to hate among religious people it seems.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101731772
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Jun 2012, 10:59

On and on it goes, back to the Dark Ages:

@BreakingNews: Louisiana House approves bill banning abortions after 20 weeks – @Reuters http://t.co/jofYDOE3
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jun 2012, 22:26

Muslims are in there with christians:
Turkey's liberal abortion laws have come under question after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan declared abortion to be murder. Women are reacting angrily as the very future of the practice comes under question.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan recently condemned abortion as a hindrance to the country's economic growth.
Calling abortion "murder," Erdogan said the practice should be outlawed. He also attacked birth by caesarian section, which he claimed limited population growth, because women are advised not to have more than two children in this way.
"It makes no difference whether you kill a baby when it is still in its mother's womb, or after it is born," Erdogan said, exhorting countrymen to come together in support of a prohibition.
Women's rights groups expressed their outrage at such statements.
Relatively liberal laws
In Turkey, single women can get an abortion up to 10 weeks into their pregnancy, either for medical or economic reasons. Married women require their husband's permission.

Erdogan belongs to the Islamic-rooted Justice and Development Party
The current regulations were introduced in 1983 by Turkey's then-military rulers in response to high numbers of deaths in illegal abortions.[My emphasis]

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,15996913,00.html

Why why why do women have to die to prove that banning abortion does not mean no abortions it means backyard abortions and backyard abortions they will find mean deaths, injuries etc. So it has been, so it will always be.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2012, 09:42

And this is what church-inspired hysteria leads to:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101734308
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby ele » 14 Jun 2012, 10:05

Why why why do women have to die to prove that banning abortion does not mean no abortions it means backyard abortions and backyard abortions they will find mean deaths, injuries etc. So it has been, so it will always be.

At least some abortions must be prevented if they are made illegal. And as to the question of life and health- why do you value the life and health of the aborting mother above the life and health of the baby?
ele
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2012, 10:30

Up to the woman to chose. They might chose abortion for a number of reasons including economic, pressure from boyfriend/parents, damage to career, too many kids already. I imagine the decision to chose abortion is not easy.

Like I said, banning abortions will mean death, failure to procreate in future and crippling injuries/infections etc due to efforts of backyard abortionists. If you want fewer abortions then banning doesn’t seem to be the optimum way. Forcing religion down people’s throats doesn’t exactly work these days I am glad to say. Better to preach better birth control perhaps.

But this attack on women’s freedom to chose leads to crap like that double shooting. More reason, less religious hysteria from church and right wing hypocrites would be good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2012, 10:58

Heh! Maybe this will get churches to take it easier on gays?

Gayness is genetic (explains IQ I guess) but a gay man in the family means the women have more babies (so I guess IQ is uncle to many nieces/nephews?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/1 ... 90501.html

:bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 14 Jun 2012, 15:29

Human beings tend to see patterns in reality and tend to construct belief systems in order to have a framework, a reference point and a sense of morality in life. These constructs are purely manmade, but most people need them.

To believers it doesn't matter that many of these constructs are based on myth, superstition or outright misinformation, people need to believe in something anyway; and so flock together with like-minded folks in groups, and everybody believes the same, and reinforce one another.

Just as people believe in a religious doctrine to give life meaning, so do they tend to gather into groups for the sake of a political or social cause. Almost any social "cause" can become like a religion, in that its believers are motivated by it to the point of devotion and fanatacism.

I think that on the issue of abortion, being pro-life is like that. The pro-lifers are a group who fiercely believe that abortion is wrong, that it is murder, and that it is their moral duty to put a stop to it, even if it were to mean a disasterous result for both women who are denied abortions by law and by the medical establishment.

You do realize, don't you, that to make abortion illegal (again) would have dire consequences in the medical field.

If a woman bleeding with a miscarriage were to come into a clinic or doctor's office or an emergency room, no one would be allowed to help her. The medical staff would be forced to stand aside, while the woman bleeds to death. If the medical team were to remove the dead feotus and treat her properly with a D and C, they would be prosecuted for murder.

Yes, it is that drastic. Think about it.

A woman must always have the choice about her own reproductive life, and abortions must always be decided between herself and her doctor, not by a group of fanatics who want to impose their own morality on the rest of society.

:b
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Postby ele » 16 Jun 2012, 08:38

Enabling one human's freedom by ensuring another's subjugation to their will (to the point of death) cannot be called enabling freedom at all.
ele
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jun 2012, 08:50

And banning abortion doesn’t work—can you come up with a creative, clever solution?

And there are many more ways that extremists are warring against womens bodies, and widening that attack to gays and other things. Religious extremists like these zealots gave us the Inquisition, burning at the stake of witches and more. No thanks! I prefer reason!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby ele » 16 Jun 2012, 14:20

You don't have to be religious to be anti-abortion. You just have to respect human rights. I think the issues annie raised are all ones where legislation should not work against abortion. BUT abortion and a woman's right to choose - ie convenience or contraception abortions are very different from medically necessary ones.
ele
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Aug 2012, 00:16

Heh:

Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Penn., declared new laws requiring health insurers to cover birth control to be as destructive as the terror attacks on September 11, 2001, and the 1945 attack on Pearl Harbor.

“I know in your mind, you can think of the times America was attacked,” Kelly said, according to the Huffington Post. “One is Dec. 7, that’s Pearl Harbor Day. The other is September 11, and that’s the day the terrorists attacked. I want you to remember Aug. 1, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates.”

The attack on Pearl Harbor killed 2,402 American servicemembers and 57 civilians, and brought America into the bloodiest war in human history. The terror attacks in 2001 killed 2,996 people in New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, and sparked military invasions of Afghanistan and, for some reason, Iraq.

It is unknown how many thousands of Americans the birth control mandate has killed so far, and Kelly did not specify a number. Most observers put the number at roughly zero thousand.

Despite the overwhelming lack of devastation caused by the destruction, Kelly was joined by other Republican members of Congress, who decried the horrific attack on freedom.

http://www.care2.com/causes/gop-rep-bir ... arbor.html
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Aug 2012, 10:51

http://www.americablog.com/2012/08/mike ... abies.html

and:
Missouri Republican official: ‘God chose to bless’ women with pregnancies from rape

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/21/m ... from-rape/

Right whingers seem to be keen to listen to churches and take away womens’ hard–won right to control their own bodies. The now largely catholic Libs, incl of course Tone, happy to follow church teachings in performing their jobs as health, education etc ministers!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Aug 2012, 11:35

There was a young lady of Riga,
Who rode with a smile on a tiger.
They returned from the ride
With the lady inside
And the smile on the face of the tiger.

I thought of this limerick immediately on seeing this:
Any hopes that Mitt Romney had of refocusing attention onto economics today were trashed after a Republican platform committee endorsed a strict anti-abortion stance that provides for no exemptions for rape or incest.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/republic ... z24Dl8uclS

Mitt really fucking deserves this! Lie down with dogs get up with fleas as the saying goes. Keep politics and religion separate!

I hope Obama gets such a boost Dems take control of House and Senate and fucking straighten out the tax system and be well on way to repaying the fucking deficit as well as be funding public works so unemployment is down and the economy growing strongly! The GOP is in the belly of the Tea Party!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 22 Aug 2012, 13:20

On the nose!

:roll
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Next

Return to Politics