Scum of the earth!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Scum of the earth!

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Sep 2010, 08:58

Tobacco companies bankroll retailers campaign

Tobacco companies are spending millions fighting a proposal for plain cigarette packaging. (AAP)

Leaked documents suggest a group supported by tobacco companies will intensify its campaign against plain cigarette packaging this weekend.

The Alliance of Australian Retailers has been running advertisements claiming small business owners will find it hard to distinguish different brands if plain packages are introduced.

Documents obtained by ABC1's Lateline show three tobacco companies paid more than $5 million to the alliance.

They also show plans to spend a further $4 million to target viewers watching the AFL and rugby league finals from this weekend.

Curtin University professor Mike Daube says tobacco companies are desperate to fight the proposal.

Professor Daube says the alliance's campaign is not what it seems.

"We see the spend of around $5 million on the first phase and now there's another $4 million going into the next phase," he said.

"I think this shows us how desperate the tobacco industry is. They're willing to throw millions and millions, as much as it takes, into opposing plain packaging."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ion=justin

My contempt for these pushers of addictive poison has no limits!

And the fucking Libs still accept tobacco money! The ALP returned the last cheque they got from big Tobacco ages ago!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Scum of the earth!

Postby mantra » 11 Sep 2010, 13:37

They need to be made illegal or sold only by prescription.

They are killers - but so is everything else. Most of the prepackaged food we buy is full of dangerous preservatives and now we find that tinned food is lined with some sort of carcinogenic plastic.

The problem now is that because of the huge increase in the price of tobacco - shopkeepers are complaining that people are no longer buying the little things - like papers, bread, sweets etc. - so obviously this expensive toxin is still a priority in a smoker's life. Meanwhile they're forced to give up other less harmful habits because they can no longer afford them.
mantra
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Sep 2010, 14:43

Eventually that is how it will be—can’t expect the remaining smokers to give up cold turkey! I would like to see other drugs of addiction done that way, heroin etc.

The War on Drugs™ is a fraud and a failure. The way to win on drugs is to remove the market for the thugs and pushers: with no repeat business the illegal drug trade will collapse, the addicts will receive doses of known strength, purity, not cut with arsenic, strychnine etc so less deaths from overdoses. The prescribed doses of heroin would not be free but a lot cheaper as well as safer than drugs from the illegal drug trade.

I class tobacco sellers as drug pushers.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Oct 2010, 20:40

Scum are starting to feel the heat! Good!
World set to follow Australian tobacco policy

DESPITE intense opposition from the international tobacco industry, Australia's plan to introduce plain-wrap cigarettes is likely to be followed by other countries, the Health Minister, Nicola Roxon says.

The tobacco industry spent a reputed $4 million during the federal election to campaign against plain packaging, criticising the Labor plan as unprecedented.

But Ms Roxon said the positive reaction of ministers from other Western countries to the policy showed that the tobacco companies' campaign was based on a false premise.

She told the Herald she had encountered ''a lot of interest'' from health ministers at an Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development conference in Paris last week.

Representatives from Ireland, Norway, the European Union and the United States had expressed interest. ''From my perspective, the broader the interest there is, the better. ''The tobacco companies have made clear they will fight this tooth and nail because they think if it gets through here it will be a precedent.

''Interestingly a lot of the other countries were very quick to understand that that fight is actually a bit of a false one because a lot of them are interested anyway.

''It is sort of an inevitable step along a spectrum of taking action against tobacco.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbei ... 16lww.html

And how nice that Australia is first at something besides sport!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2010, 14:10

Now other drugs, pushed by thugs rather than by suits like tobacco, but all scum pushing poison with no regard to lives blighted and lost, should also be looked at. The War on Drugs™ is a fucking failure:
Heroin shortage in UK is 'putting lives at risk'
• Afghan poppy harvest blighted by fungus
• Dealers adulterating supply to maintain profits

Users are overdosing on adulterated heroin or, in some cases, a combination of powerful sedative, caffeine and paracetamol. Photograph: PA
Hospitals are treating a growing number of drug users who have overdosed on heroin mixed with other substances by dealers because of a huge shortage of the opiate across the UK.

One of the most severe heroin 'droughts' for five years has been reported in areas across the UK, including, London, Lancashire, Surrey, and Stockton-on-Tees.

The shortage has been linked not to seizures of the drug by law enforcement agencies but to a fungus that has blighted this year's poppy crop in Afghanistan, reducing it by half.

Users are overdosing on either adulterated heroin, or, in some cases, what has been found to be a combination of a powerful sedative, caffeine and paracetamol. Some have become unconscious very soon after injecting or smoking it, while others have reported vomiting, flu-like symptoms and amnesia, drug agencies say.

One of the most recent reports of overdoses and hospital admissions came last week from Hastings, where four users overdosed even though they had only taken a small amount of what they thought was heroin. Toxicologist Dr John Ramsey, head of the Tictac Communications drugs database at St George's medical school, London, said he had had about 50 recent requests to analyse adulterated heroin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/ ... dose-users

All drugs need to be decriminalised so the thugs lose their market. Supply of pure drugs at cost, injection centres, needle exchanges are all ways harm can be minimised and the market taken away from the thugs. Why proper marijuana isn’t legally available I don’t know, it is widely used and now just enriches crooks! It might relieve the pain in my hip, will ask my GP for medicinal mj, see what he says.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2010, 11:28

Here we go, another “biggest” something or other to do with drug seizures:
42 arrested in Victoria's 'biggest ever' drug raids
The operation is targeting the supply of high potency cannabis and other drugs. (Reuters: Robert Galbraith, file photo)

Victorian police have carried out the biggest series of drug raids in the state's history this morning.

Forty-two people have been arrested, and more than 67 properties were raided across metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.

The operation, codenamed Entity, is an international investigation targeting the supply of "high potency" cannabis and other drugs, which has been running for two years.

More than 7,000 cannabis plans were also seized in the raids.

Police estimate about $400 million has passed though the alleged syndicate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 073643.htm

One has to wonder how much taxpayers money was wasted on this? Been investigated for two years, must have been hundreds of police, cars, dogs etc etc on the raids and for what? Some other syndicate is already setting up or getting to the stage it can start pushing it junk. An ever bigger syndicate, ever bigger police operations, bigger headline, bigger amounts of tax payers money wasted. Meanwhile “just minor” burglaries go uninvestigated.

Time to end this nonsense. Time to stop treating drugs of addiction as a criminal matter, time to treat it as a medical matter. Time to remove the market from the thugs, to decriminalise drugs, to take away the conditions that lead people to take up drugs. Treat tobacco, heroin, ice, dope, booze and cigarettes the same, as health hazards.

I guess journalists wouldn’t like that, no juicy stories to splash on the front page under their byline, no dramatic news stories on TV and radio. Well, so fucking what! Journos have, by and large tho with exceptions, proven themselves to be whores willing to toe proprietor’s lines rather than ferret out and report on the truth. Murdoch, the ABC, what sad excuses for journalism there!

So :stop the useless “War on Drugs™.”

If the cops actually close off supply of one drug the addicts just move to another one
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2011, 17:12

MPs threaten to cross floor on plain packaging
By Jeremy Thompson

The Federal Government has used reports that some Liberal MPs will cross the floor over cigarette packaging legislation to accuse Tony Abbott of "following the orders of big tobacco".

The Opposition Leader has reacted sceptically to the Government's plans to introduce plain packaging, saying he thinks the move may be counter-productive.

Fairfax newspapers have reported Liberal MP Alex Somlyay, a cancer survivor, has been joined by West Australian MPs Dr Mal Washer and Ken Wyatt in threatening to cross the floor should the Opposition vote against the move.

Opposition health spokesman Peter Dutton says no decision has been taken yet on the Coalition's position, but he wants to see evidence the plan will work.

"We as a Coalition are committed to reducing smoking rates, but we want to make sure we commit to a scheme that will actually work," Mr Dutton said.

But Health Minister Nicola Roxon says it will be good for the public if members of the Opposition support the bill, irrespective of Mr Abbott's position.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin

Nice to see some Lib MPs have a conscience and commonsense—and a backbone! How disgusting that the Libs still take tobacco money.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 May 2011, 22:10

Wonder how taking tobacco money sits with Tone's fitness fanatic image? :bike
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2011, 22:17

I’m sure he will rationalise or compartmentalise it away. Not a one for thinking much.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 May 2011, 22:33

No he isn't - so it must be a pretty shallow Lib talent pool when he's the leader :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 May 2011, 22:36

Oh yeah. Hockey who can’t add 1 + 1 to get 2 for starters, Tone who hasn’t the patience for detailed policy work, a really shallow opportunist is leader! Truffles their hope but hated and fatally flawed and so it goes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 May 2011, 07:02

Country/Group company

Payments
(GBP equivalent)

Australia: British American Tobacco Australia Ltd

Canada: Imperial Tobacco Canada Limited

Solomon Islands: Solomon Islands Tobacco Company Ltd

Total

(Note: £ equivalent based on the same average currency conversion rates as used for the Group Income Statement in the Annual Report 2010.)

See also
Standards of Business Conduct

http://www.bat.com/group/sites/uk__3mnf ... ment&SKN=1

Now tell me the pushers in suits aren’t worried about plain packaging! As I said before, they must have done trials on it and found it decreased maybe not so much sales but the takeup of smoking by young people—they obviously need a constant supply of new customers because their stinking drug KILLS!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2011, 21:27

Just saw a ad from the pushers in suits.

Line is plain packaging is too much nanny state. Yeah sure bud, you hook ’em, addict ’em, flog them your addictive poison making big $$$ but when the addict has emphysema and can’t work it isn’t you that loses productivity eh? Not you that pays for the hospital bills, disability pension etc etc is it? Cunts!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 14 Jun 2011, 21:32

That is the dumbest commercial I have ever seen. They actually demand that we ring up our local MPs and tell them to not support plain packaging. These people are seriously deluded. When these cigarette companies set up and solely fund their own free hospitals and cancer treatment clinics to treat people dying from using their product then maybe I'll try not to take them as a joke.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jun 2011, 21:36

About 3 people, including my own father, have died from the stuff. Somehow the pushers in suits never send someone to the funeral. I hate these cunts so much!

I remember my own struggles to quit, must have been a figure of fun sometimes while I was struggling. Nevermind, quit I have, some 20 years or so, no twinges ever. The stuff I do with Demi, obedience, agility, tracking just would not be possible if I had kept on smoking, let alone the cost of keeping the filthy habit going is astronomical!

But, yeah, that ad is stupid!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jun 2011, 22:19

Nicola Roxon is copping a lot of flak—apparently in 2004 her office sent letters to some tobacco firms. The firms didn’t attend her fundraisers so no real impropriety done but Big Tobacco and the MSM are raising a lot of noise.

Big tobacco is also using the WTO—using some small tobacco growing countries—to move against the plain packaging.

Nicola will stick it out tho and other countries will introduce plain packaging too, making it less glamorous and so fewer teens startign the filthy habit.

I hate the guys, the pushers in suits, with a passion!

heh, this twitter interchange is interesting:
latikambourke Latika Bourke
TAbbott says Health Min. Roxon should 'feel embarrassed' & 'has a lot of explaining to do,' for once soliciting donations from tobacco.
5 minutes ago

in reply to ?
Space Kidette
@SpaceKidette Space Kidette
@latikambourke @TonyAbbottMHR is the one who should be embarrased for accepting $183.28 for each smoking related death in Australia. #shame

(PB)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Ethnic » 15 Jun 2011, 22:50

Can't stand Nicola Roxon but I will back her up on this one. She would not have deliberately sent those invites out to the cancer companies because there had been a ban on big tobacco donations to the Labor Party. This stunt just shows how desperate tobacco companies are, which means they know they're in the shit.
Ethnic

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jun 2011, 23:03

yeah, some staffer fucked up not removing tobacco companies from invite list. Roxon did slip up herself accepting a tobacco invite to tennis but owned up to that early, guess no one thought to check letters. Doubt it will slow her down an angstrom!

I think Roxon is one of the more effective ministers in Rudd & Gillard govts

I admire Gillard she just gets on with the job, has a raft of contentious legislation to get through this year and a solid track record getting legislation past both houses incl Lib/nat dominated Senate. No quivering lip from Gillard—sometimes the great stone face indicating Abbott has gone too far but no quivering lip!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2011, 09:45

Philip Morris has apparently lodged court action against the proposed plain packaging laws. Good luck chum! Guess they are worried there will be no new teenagers hooked on their filthy product to take the place of the middleaged who die from smoking their shit. Well, suffer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jul 2011, 12:21

Cool!

It looks like the tobacco industry will have to down grade Australia’s plain packaging legislation to public enemy No.2.
Just look at what Iceland is proposing. Banning tobacco from general sale and only allowing cigarettes to be sold on prescription through pharmacies and the like.

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2011/05/30/iceland-to-ban-tobacco/

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/ ... ent-925572

Gee I hope the pushers in suits are feeling shortness of breath, heart palpitations, indigestion etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jul 2013, 21:35

Ha!

UK plans for plain cigarette packaging to be shelved
Department of Health says it will study impact of move in Australia before pressing ahead with similar law

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/ ... CMP=twt_fd

also:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04987.html

Hah! Got something difficult to do? Give it to a couple tough smart women to do! Thanks Roxon & Gillard, my little great nieces/nephews are much less likely to take up the filthy habit!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jul 2013, 13:46

Hah! Push back against Cameron’s cowardly surrender to Pushers in Suits:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/13/david-cameron-lynton-crosby-tobacco

David Cameron told to sack strategy chief over link to tobacco giants
Lynton Crosby must go, urges former Lib Dem health minister, as cross-party anger grows over U-turn on cigarettes

David Cameron faces calls from senior Liberal Democrats to sack his controversial election strategist Lynton Crosby over his links with the tobacco industry, as the coalition descended into open warfare over public health policy.

As the latest row over the role of big money in politics hit Downing Street, Paul Burstow, who was a health minister until September last year, said Crosby should either quit or be sacked by Cameron after it emerged that his lobbying firm works for global tobacco giant Philip Morris.

Hope they get their way and the PiS get another bloody nose!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Politics