AND NOW THE FLOODING RAINS

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls.

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

AND NOW THE FLOODING RAINS

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 01:04

Hi there my friends.

I do hope you are high and dry. :roll :bgrin :thumb

I'm good, but I have been watching the BOM Radar maps , and they sure are interesting... if you add in Weather Observations.. you can check all sorts of stuff.

SO,, Last night at 10.00 pm the Relative Humidity % ??
was

101%
:purple

Dew point was higher than the temperature..!!

WOW Never seen that before.

Later it was the same , at 1.00am . and then it even went to 102% .. before dropping slightly.

This evening it is 100% Humidity. !!

WOW the frogs .. the frogs are calling.. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Re: AND NOW THE FLOODING RAINS

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 01:40

and now it 102% Relative humidity again.

Perhaps I haven't noticed this happening before...

I just find it hard to accept that dewpoint can exceed temp. But it has,...………... Perhaps I'm just late to the show.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 05:25

Wow, 102% humidity?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 10 Feb 2020, 06:45

102% ?!!
Wow never knew it could go over 100%

Are you growing webbed feet Pinky?

I noticed this morning my Vic Emergency App changing it’s tune, from reporting fires here, there and wherever, to now, flooding! I mean, it’s not Queensland here in Victoria, where they have their typical summer monsoons, we are in mid summer and supposed to be hot and dry, that’s our usual summer, yet, these rains and floods we get, with SES attending to fallen trees over roof houses, just strange.
It’s almost like we are becoming more tropical like Queensland.
Weird weather extremes within a short span of each other!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby hatty » 10 Feb 2020, 10:44

we are flooded here in sydney..... a friends house was washed away on the central coast.

fuck me sideways we are on fire for three months and now under water.

yeah climate change is (SARCASM SO SETH DOESN"T TAKE SHIT OUT OF CONTEXT) is bullshit...... right?

i'm sure he will just like his orange hero..... fucking lazy

mother nature is screaming and we need to help her, in any way we can.... no matter how small

whiny enough?

stay safe everyone
hatty
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 11:07

Plant trees in your front and/or backyard, get your council to plant more trees. One of the most useful things you can do. Trees sequester CO2, and can give you a windbreak, privacy screen and deciduous trees can shade your house in summer and let winter sun through. Win win win. And you can get fruit from them.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby hatty » 10 Feb 2020, 11:23

cheers monk...... my landlords' english plants all died in the last 6 months...... i shall dig them out and replace them with natives.

any suggestions everyone?

i'm not always whiny biatch.
hatty
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 12:09

Granny Smith Apple will do well, what about a lemon tree? Ornamental—grevillea, banksia etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby hatty » 10 Feb 2020, 12:22

lemon tree is the one i have yet to kill....... going great but all else....... i seem to be shit at gardening....... fires and floods mot withstanding.

i shall take this to the sandpit though

thanks again
hatty
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 10 Feb 2020, 16:58

pinkeye wrote:Hi there my friends.

I do hope you are high and dry. :roll :bgrin :thumb

I'm good, but I have been watching the BOM Radar maps , and they sure are interesting... if you add in Weather Observations.. you can check all sorts of stuff.

SO,, Last night at 10.00 pm the Relative Humidity % ??
was

101%
:purple

Dew point was higher than the temperature..!!

WOW Never seen that before.

Later it was the same , at 1.00am . and then it even went to 102% .. before dropping slightly.

This evening it is 100% Humidity. !!

WOW the frogs .. the frogs are calling.. :bgrin

i work about 30 to 45 mins away from pink (best estimate) and I can vouch that it certainly was humid today ...
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 10 Feb 2020, 17:01

HBS Guy wrote:Plant trees in your front and/or backyard, get your council to plant more trees. One of the most useful things you can do. Trees sequester CO2, and can give you a windbreak, privacy screen and deciduous trees can shade your house in summer and let winter sun through. Win win win. And you can get fruit from them.

I'd go the other way ... never plant trees near a house, concrete slab or water pipe. I've had so many drainage problems at my place because of all the fucken trees that my wife won't let me cut down .... and i live on top of a fucken hill. :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2020, 17:04

I have had (and have) orange trees near the slab that is the floor of the back verandah—no roots under it. Only problem with sewerage outlet was the negligence by whoever laid it back in 1958/9.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 22:31

HBS Guy wrote:Plant trees in your front and/or backyard, get your council to plant more trees. One of the most useful things you can do. Trees sequester CO2, and can give you a windbreak, privacy screen and deciduous trees can shade your house in summer and let winter sun through. Win win win. And you can get fruit from them.

Great minds, Monk. Just this afternoon I was thinking about exactly that.. use of deciduous trees for helping in cooling/heating homes.

Huh, so I've been out with my shovel clearing away sand and gravel built up, and big clumps of grasses.. wow PERFECT weeding weather..!!
to re-direct water back to where it's s'posed to go.
No risk of flooding here.. nuh uh..
BUT
Cyclone could be coming.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 22:41

I could hear and see the creek today... there is major water moving around here..
My tanks are full and there must have been lots of rain around the area.

I'm way upslope... might even have some water in my Dam. That doesn't happen very often.!
I drove through water over the road yesterday.. Staying home mostly. :bgrin

Crikey it is 100% again. Did you know you can't pour salt out of a salt shaker in these conditions. Trying to dry out theRind and fat on a Pork Loin chop, no bone, fat on .. yum but OH dear it is so soggy and hot here I don't feel like cooking.

BUT IT IS FANTASTIC that we are finally getting a bit of steady rain.
Not enough yet.. despite the impact on the city folks...

MORE please Mother.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2020, 00:39

Well this was quite something. I went out at 3.30pm yesterday and found myself flooded in. Exit routes were underwater.
Seems we had over 300 ml of rain in the last 2 days... :bgrin :yahoo

Went home .. tried again later. MY CREEK had risen so much it cut access to the local town... My Dam is full for the first time in 20 yrs,
'tis wonderful. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2020, 05:54

a Happy Pinky! Well done!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 15 Feb 2020, 08:15

HBS Guy wrote:a Happy Pinky! Well done!

doesn't seem to happen often :c :c
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 15 Feb 2020, 11:55

I notice the Gold Coast weather has improved with sunshine, that’s good for Dondeehippy and everyone else at the festival. :thumb
Hope they all have a good time and look forward to a story or two from Don.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 15 Feb 2020, 21:01

Lols wrote:I notice the Gold Coast weather has improved with sunshine, that’s good for Dondeehippy and everyone else at the festival. :thumb

weather was great today, with more fine weather for tomorrow. Friday was nice too even if the ground were still soaked.

Don should be happy, 3 out of 4 good days is a pretty good result considering that it looked like it would be a wash out. :thumb
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2020, 21:51

actually got some washing done today. More sun tomorrow.. then more rain.

Love it.

Also have some more trees down, dead acacias and nearly got bogged in my driveway... wow..
Have to get my wee aldi chainsaw in action.. just .. too hot and sticky today..
:bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2020, 01:16

Been busy .. pulled apart my chainsaw today.. was just going to sharpen the chain, but turns out it needed more.

All back together and ready to go. :thumb

Have chucked branches, old mats, old dog sheets and even a pair of old jeans on to my drive today. It is still boggy, but I got out OK. YAY.

Hope it dries a bit before the next rain. Not to worry.. I much prefer tackling the problem of a boggy drive to the alternative.

Anything and everything gets put in those rain ruts. well, no garbage.. no I find small branches with abundant leaf, short twigs of all sizes, and topped by cloth/// concrete pavers at discreet intervals are next, BUT that'll have to wait till after the next rain.

nxt rain it all clogs up.. :thumb .
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Feb 2020, 06:29

johnsmith wrote:
Lols wrote:I notice the Gold Coast weather has improved with sunshine, that’s good for Dondeehippy and everyone else at the festival. :thumb

weather was great today, with more fine weather for tomorrow. Friday was nice too even if the ground were still soaked.

Don should be happy, 3 out of 4 good days is a pretty good result considering that it looked like it would be a wash out. :thumb

Hey guys back in real civalization.. The weather for the actual Festival was great, Friday and Saturday there where some huge storms to the south but luckily they missed us.
The section I was looking after is like 2 huge football fields with power boxes dotted around it. We Make about 180 powered sites at a extra price of up to $300 depends on the size.
When I got there Tuesday it was wet and some area's already under water.
Wednesday had about 40 mm of rain but cleared up most of the day and wasn't to bad.
Started raining about 8pm Wednesday night and didn't finish until Friday about 2 am...
The festival has 5000 people and they started coming Thursday arvo, just about every one got bogged and we didn't get the last patrons to bed until about 2.30 am Friday morning.
We had Bog mats and truck loads of bark and gravel and lots of people trying to make road into the site...
Ended up there was me and another organizer jumping in the cars and driving them where they needed to go... Luckily I've owned 2wd utes most of my life and have had to do a lot of off road driving in them.
Friday Morning looked like a refugee camp and I started to work out where to put the people we just parked up on the side of the road.
We decided no cars on our site until lunch and them only 4wd's, we did however give a few workers to anyone that wanted to set up camp and march their gear in..
The actual Music for the festival doesn't start until 3pm Friday....
The people where awesome and very understanding, unfortunately in the chaos many where forgotten and I ended up being the trouble shooter for them.
My phone died so no real pictures, however I'm sure lots will appear in Facebook and I'll go picture hunting and post up a few .
All in all was a lot of fun and the people and music was great..
Having said that though id be quite happy if it's drier next year. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Feb 2020, 08:30

Wow, did Noah’s Ark show up? Any festival attendees grow webbed feet? :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 19 Feb 2020, 08:42

HBS Guy wrote:Wow, did Noah’s Ark show up? Any festival attendees grow webbed feet? :bgrin

The amount of drugs at the festival I'm sure there would of been Patrons that saw the ark and webbed feet :rofl

Yesterday as i was packing up i was wondering over a old Mud pit and saw a thong graveyard, buried thongs with the top popped out of the hole and just left in the ground, was about 10 of them in a 20 metre section...
Thankfully it's a no glass festival as there where many bare feet :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Lols » 19 Feb 2020, 10:48

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Wow, did Noah’s Ark show up? Any festival attendees grow webbed feet? :bgrin

The amount of drugs at the festival I'm sure there would of been Patrons that saw the ark and webbed feet :rofl

Yesterday as i was packing up i was wondering over a old Mud pit and saw a thong graveyard, buried thongs with the top popped out of the hole and just left in the ground, was about 10 of them in a 20 metre section...
Thankfully it's a no glass festival as there where many bare feet :purple

So happy for all at festival the better weather came after that first boggy night!

At Rainbow Serpent Festival my daughter and I attended with friends, 2 years ago, was the first time they did a police presence for drugs, with sniffer dogs etc.
There were a couple of deaths in recent years from drug overdose, so hence the police now present.
Many festival goers decided to sell their tickets and not go because of that crackdown on drugs.

There’s also inspector volunteers before cars are allowed on the camping grounds and issuing wrist bands, they check amongst your stuff packed, including eskys, for any glass which is prohibited, which is understandable.

Glad it all went well Dondeehippy :thumb
Lols
Irish wolfhound

Next

Return to Politics