Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: Get over it: Americans are allowed to have guns!

Postby SethBullock » 11 Feb 2019, 11:59

DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Fourth sentence about bringing guns to church: Those of us who carry concealed firearms or who have one nearby in our homes are not paranoid weirdos. We think of it in the same way as buckling up a seat belt in a car or wearing a life preserver in a boat. Law-abiding citizens are not looking for trouble, and we know that we could go through a lifetime and never need a firearm. But at the same time, we simply refuse to be victims who do not have a readily available means to discourage or respond to an attack.

That's really the problem... we don't think like that at all,, it doesn't even enter our head to bring a firearm with us doing daily events.
Texas has said he doesn't like going to places where he cant carry a concealed firearm... I get the baby blanket thing , I find it sad though that it's necessary.
It can be a culture thing as well, Australia has never allowed handguns (except as a sport and highly regulated) so we have never thought about them. :purple

Yes, it is abundantly clear to me that there is a cultural difference between our two countries when it comes to firearms. The norms are different. It's interesting, though, that your rate of murder by stabbing and beating is higher than ours, while our rate of murder by firearm is higher than yours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate
well that would make sence as we don't have easy access to guns...
However your 5-6 times more likely to get murdered in USA than Australia... Take away the unregistered guns and I wonder if that would come down ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... death_rate
SO these number r murder rate per 100,000 ppl
USA 5.35 AUS 0.94
This is Firearm Murders per 100,000
USA 4.62 AUS 0.18
SO this would be Murders from other means per 100,000
USA 0.73 AUS 0.76

so yes your right in USA these is less chance 0.03 per 100,000 of being murdered by Stabbing , poison, beatings, runnover than in Australia
But there is 25 times the chance of being Killed by a Firearm.

:purple

Don, what these numbers mean is that 86% of murders in the U.S. are by firearm. 14% are by other means. Using some other statistics I found, homicide by firearms accounted for 75% of homicides.

In Australia, 62% of homicides are by stabbing and beating. The rest are by guns and other means. Here's the source: http://crimestats.aic.gov.au/NHMP/

Yes, the U.S. has a higher homicide rate than Australia. I discussed this at length in the other "gun" thread. There are certain areas of the U.S. where the homicide rate is exceptionally high, particularly in some of our urban areas, that skew the statistics upwards. In Oregon, for example, the homicide rate is only 2/100,000 which is only 1 over Australia's rate, and yet gun ownership is about 27% of the population. What this tells me is the U.S. has a "people" problem, especially in certain areas of the country, and not so much a gun problem.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary
SethBullock
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Feb 2019, 12:24

hatty wrote:
Texan wrote:Who are the governments guns reported to? Do cartels, gangs, and criminals have to report the guns they buy or steal? When all guns are registered, what stops the government from confiscating all guns in the name of “safety “? Wouldn’t gun control only affect the honest?

texan i think you raised a very valid point

but i think don maybe right in that the horse has bolted in the US so now the only thing to do is make sure you are more armed than the baddies.

this is a tough one and i have no idea how it will play out.

1... It's a given that criminals will get firearms.......
As it is now in the USA if a Gang wants firearms they can get a few ppl with no criminal records to buy new firearms and after a few months they could have 100's even 1000's.... Now Registering a gun purchase would stop this.
No accountability on firearm purchases can only lead to abuse.
2.. If u really r that worried your government will confiscate registered weapons u really need to think about the country u live in. Have u really thought this through or is it just a reflex argument....
How many ppl in your circle of friends would willingly give up their firearms ,even if they where registered.
Now would it get harder for criminals to get illegal firearms if all new gun ownership needed registering ?
3.... Just like registering a car of course it will be done by the honest.....
in the USA u already have 1 gun per person... i guess the real question is do u think having so many firearms that r unaccountable a problem ? :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 11 Feb 2019, 12:41

DonDeeHippy wrote:
hatty wrote:
Texan wrote:Who are the governments guns reported to? Do cartels, gangs, and criminals have to report the guns they buy or steal? When all guns are registered, what stops the government from confiscating all guns in the name of “safety “? Wouldn’t gun control only affect the honest?

but i think don maybe right in that the horse has bolted in the US so now the only thing to do is make sure you are more armed than the baddies.

As it is now in the USA if a Gang wants firearms they can get a few ppl with no criminal records to buy new firearms and after a few months they could have 100's even 1000's.... Now Registering a gun purchase would stop this.
2.. If u really r that worried your government will confiscate registered weapons u really need to think about the country u live in. Have u really thought this through or is it just a reflex argument....
How many ppl in your circle of friends would willingly give up their firearms ,even if they where registered.
Now would it get harder for criminals to get illegal firearms if all new gun ownership needed registering ?
in the USA u already have 1 gun per person... i guess the real question is do u think having so many firearms that r unaccountable a problem ? :purple

Hatty - It's not an arms race. I could carry an AR with 30 round magazines everywhere I go. It's perfectly legal in Texas for anybody who can legally own the AR, but it's more than necessary to be a deterrent. That's why I carry a 9mm with a 7+1 capacity.(and 1 spare magazine in my pocket) I'm not hunting bad guys. I just want to be able to provide myself a retreat or defend myself or my family if necessary. That's my right to protect my life. I've been trained, background checked, and proficiency tested to carry concealed. Carrying concealed takes the target off of my back and keeps criminals trying to guess whether people are victims or dangerous.

1. It's a big problem if ONLY criminals have firearms.

2. The whole purpose of the 2A is to KEEP our government honest. How many years before a different, less honest government is tempted with total control. And because of our military might, that becomes important all over the world.

3. Accountable to whom, an all powerful, all knowing, benevolent dictatorial government? This is the same government with portions that want absolute power over my healthcare, my education, my home and self defense, my religious views, etc....... Is there any part of my life that is not to be controlled by my government? If I ran my affairs like my government, I would be in prison.
Last edited by Texan on 11 Feb 2019, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Feb 2019, 12:53

SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Fourth sentence about bringing guns to church: Those of us who carry concealed firearms or who have one nearby in our homes are not paranoid weirdos. We think of it in the same way as buckling up a seat belt in a car or wearing a life preserver in a boat. Law-abiding citizens are not looking for trouble, and we know that we could go through a lifetime and never need a firearm. But at the same time, we simply refuse to be victims who do not have a readily available means to discourage or respond to an attack.

That's really the problem... we don't think like that at all,, it doesn't even enter our head to bring a firearm with us doing daily events.
Texas has said he doesn't like going to places where he cant carry a concealed firearm... I get the baby blanket thing , I find it sad though that it's necessary.
It can be a culture thing as well, Australia has never allowed handguns (except as a sport and highly regulated) so we have never thought about them. :purple

Yes, it is abundantly clear to me that there is a cultural difference between our two countries when it comes to firearms. The norms are different. It's interesting, though, that your rate of murder by stabbing and beating is higher than ours, while our rate of murder by firearm is higher than yours.

However your 5-6 times more likely to get murdered in USA than Australia... Take away the unregistered guns and I wonder if that would come down ?
USA 5.35 AUS 0.94
USA 4.62 AUS 0.18
USA 0.73 AUS 0.76

so yes your right in USA these is less chance 0.03 per 100,000 of being murdered by Stabbing , poison, beatings, runnover than in Australia

Don, what these numbers mean is that 86% of murders in the U.S. are by firearm. 14% are by other means. Using some other statistics I found, homicide by firearms accounted for 75% of homicides.

In Australia, 62% of homicides are by stabbing and beating. The rest are by guns and other means. Here's the source: http://crimestats.aic.gov.au/NHMP/

Yes, the U.S. has a higher homicide rate than Australia. I discussed this at length in the other "gun" thread. There are certain areas of the U.S. where the homicide rate is exceptionally high, particularly in some of our urban areas, that skew the statistics upwards. In Oregon, for example, the homicide rate is only 2/100,000 which is only 1 over Australia's rate, and yet gun ownership is about 27% of the population. What this tells me is the U.S. has a "people" problem, especially in certain areas of the country, and not so much a gun problem.

well looking at that source (2014) it's 13% gun homicide in Australia so it's about right :)
SO Australia about 13% gun murders and USA 75% Gun Murders and 5 times the murder rate of Australia....
If Australia only has 13% gun Murders it makes sense that other methods would be higher.
http://crimestats.aic.gov.au/NHMP/1_tre ... micideType
I find it interesting that 75% of homicides in Australia is domestic or acquaintances…

An average 33 stranger homicide incidents occur each year in Australia. (with 25 million People that's why we don't need guns)

Homicide in Australia has declined over the last 25 years. The current homicide incidence rate is the lowest on record in the past 25 years.
The number of homicide incidents has fallen by 22 percent over the last 25 years, decreasing from 307 incidents in 1989-90 to 238 incidents in 2013-14.
Homicide occurred at a rate of one incident per 100,000 persons in 2013-14, a 44 percent decrease from that recorded in 1989-90 (1.8 per 100,000).

Yes I see the discrepancy….. Wiki is always a good starting point but I never really rely on its numbers.....DO we go off world homicide link or gun death link.... either way 17250 murders on one and 19103 on the other link....both for 2016
ether way it's a shit load of murders......

well your double the murder rate and double our Gun rate (australia is 13%), again that really proves nothing....
yes looking at canada and its firearm rate and murder rate i agree with you its a ppl problem.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Feb 2019, 13:04

Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
hatty wrote:

Hatty - It's not an arms race. I could carry an AR with 30 round magazines everywhere I go. It's perfectly legal in Texas for anybody who can legally own the AR, but it's more than necessary to be a deterrent. That's why I carry a 9mm with a 7+1 capacity.(and 1 spare magazine in my pocket) I'm not hunting bad guys. I just want to be able to provide myself a retreat or defend myself or my family if necessary. That's my right to protect my life. I've been trained, background checked, and proficiency tested to carry concealed. Carrying concealed takes the target off of my back and keeps criminals trying to guess whether people are victims or dangerous.

2. The whole purpose of the 2A is to KEEP our government honest. How many years before a different, less honest government is tempted with total control. And because of our military might, that becomes important all over the world.

3. Accountable to whom, an all powerful, all knowing, benevolent dictatorial government? This is the same government with portions that want absolute power over my healthcare, my education, my home and self defense, my religious views, etc....... Is there any part of my life that is not to be controlled by my government? If I ran my affairs like my government, I would be in prison.

1. ok on 1 do u think that gangs can get all the new guns they want from getting ppl with no criminal record to buy them....
would this method be stopped if u had to register new gun purchases ?
2. would u or anyone u know willingly give up your firearms whether they where registered or not ?
3. do u think having so many firearms that r unaccountable a problem ?
3a. Registering a very dangerous potentially life threating object is not the government controlling your life... or is it ?
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby hatty » 11 Feb 2019, 13:14

texan

once again i am not advocating banning firearms.......they are useful tools .......... just ensuring they don't fall into the wrong hands......... which tragically happens too often

my twin brother who lives in Canada just waked into a pawn shop and bought a shotgun no questions asked ......... is that possible in the US?
hatty
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 11 Feb 2019, 13:18

DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

USA 5.35 AUS 0.94
USA 4.62 AUS 0.18
USA 0.73 AUS 0.76

well looking at that source (2014) it's 13% gun homicide in Australia so it's about right :)
SO Australia about 13% gun murders and USA 75% Gun Murders and 5 times the murder rate of Australia....
If Australia only has 13% gun Murders it makes sense that other methods would be higher.
http://crimestats.aic.gov.au/NHMP/1_tre ... micideType
I find it interesting that 75% of homicides in Australia is domestic or acquaintances…

An average 33 stranger homicide incidents occur each year in Australia. (with 25 million People that's why we don't need guns)

The chances are, you don't need a gun. Someone once said, "You may never need a gun in your lifetime. But if you do ever need a gun, you're going to need it very badly."

Sounds like an average of 33 people a year in your country needed a gun very badly.

DonDeeHippy wrote:Homicide in Australia has declined over the last 25 years. The current homicide incidence rate is the lowest on record in the past 25 years.
The number of homicide incidents has fallen by 22 percent over the last 25 years, decreasing from 307 incidents in 1989-90 to 238 incidents in 2013-14.
Homicide occurred at a rate of one incident per 100,000 persons in 2013-14, a 44 percent decrease from that recorded in 1989-90 (1.8 per 100,000).

We have seen a slight uptick in homicides in the past couple of years, but our homicide rate is about half what it used to be in the '80s and 90s.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby SethBullock » 11 Feb 2019, 13:20

hatty wrote:texan

once again i am not advocating banning firearms.......they are useful tools .......... just ensuring they don't fall into the wrong hands......... which tragically happens too often

my twin brother who lives in Canada just waked into a pawn shop and bought a shotgun no questions asked ......... is that possible in the US?

No, a background check for criminal convictions is required.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 11 Feb 2019, 13:24

hatty wrote:texan

No, not legally. Any pawn shop that sells guns has a Federal Firearms License. They must have the buyer fill out a form 4473 and complete a background check. The only way you can legally get a gun without any questions asked is to buy from a private party or be given a gun by friend or family member. People who have a license to carry are exempted from the background checks because they carry proof of a more thorough background check in their pocket. Gun sales are illegal between citizens of 2 different states unless the sale goes through an FFL. State laws vary, but those are the federal requirements.

I've only bought one gun "off the grid". It was from a family friend. He was moving to New York to be a pastor and couldn't afford to deal with New York gun laws. I've known this guy and his parents since he was about 14. His FIL is a good friend and retired Dallas policeman. I've since traded that gun to one of my sons for the first gun I ever bought.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby DonDeeHippy » 11 Feb 2019, 13:56

I was just thinking if I had a gang in the USA and lots of cash... If I needed guns why couldn't I find 10 clean civilians . Get them to buy 1 gun from 10 different shops,... that's 100 guns a day, then got another city or state and repeat for 5 days… and in a week id have 500 guns and no one the wiser.. Is this right ? or have I got it wrong ? :purple
If firearms needed to be registered I could get 10 and if used and found could be traced.
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby SethBullock » 11 Feb 2019, 14:24

DonDeeHippy wrote:I was just thinking if I had a gang in the USA and lots of cash... If I needed guns why couldn't I find 10 clean civilians . Get them to buy 1 gun from 10 different shops,... that's 100 guns a day, then got another city or state and repeat for 5 days… and in a week id have 500 guns and no one the wiser.. Is this right ? or have I got it wrong ? :purple
If firearms needed to be registered I could get 10 and if used and found could be traced.

As I said earlier, Don, universal registration would help law enforcement in some cases. But it would also require an IRS sized bureaucracy, and the left wing in our country would like to ban most or all guns, if they could. That registry could presumably be used for the purpose of locating and confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens, not criminals. It is for this reason that gun owners don't want a federal law requiring registration.

That said, I do believe the BATF is understaffed and should be significantly bolstered so that the monitoring of dealer sales can be more robust.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 11 Feb 2019, 14:29

DonDeeHippy wrote:I was just thinking if I had a gang in the USA and lots of cash... If I needed guns why couldn't I find 10 clean civilians . Get them to buy 1 gun from 10 different shops,... that's 100 guns a day, then got another city or state and repeat for 5 days… and in a week id have 500 guns and no one the wiser.. Is this right ? or have I got it wrong ? :purple

That's 10 people with clean records and willing to violate federal law repeatedly and risk a lengthy federal prison sentence. How much would you have to pay these "clean" people to dirty themselves and have all of these guns be traceable to them for lending their name to the purchase. They still have to fill out the 4473 for each purchase and pass a background check. These are guns that will soon be used in crimes. I wouldn't put my name on them.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby hatty » 11 Feb 2019, 14:36

this is all i need for my joy...... and it is heavy so if need be i could hit an intruder over the head........ be a damn shame though: :roll

hatty
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 11 Feb 2019, 14:46

hatty wrote:this is all i need for my joy...... and it is heavy so if need be i could hit an intruder over the head........ be a damn shame though: :roll

It would be a shame to use it as a weapon and damage it. This is my 45 year old Takamine acoustic.

guitar.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 11 Feb 2019, 14:57

I don't play guitar, but I have my FIL's 1946 Martin. He was the original owner until he passed last week.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby SethBullock » 11 Feb 2019, 15:03

Texan wrote:I don't play guitar, but I have my FIL's 1946 Martin. He was the original owner until he passed last week.

I'd like to see it! Take a picture and put it on here, Texan.

SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 11 Feb 2019, 15:07

DonDeeHippy wrote:
hatty wrote:

This is not how organised crime gets firearms!

Do you seriously think that's how the mafia did it? That was almost a century ago, lol!!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 11 Feb 2019, 15:11

How would you find 10 clean civillians?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Bongalong » 11 Feb 2019, 15:15

Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
hatty wrote:

Hatty is jealous of the USA for being able to save others!
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby hatty » 11 Feb 2019, 15:32

Bongalong wrote:
Texan wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:
hatty wrote:

Hatty is jealous of the USA for being able to save others!

i am happy where i am and love arguing with seth and texan ( in no particular order)

member drah..... Sydney.....nice weather and gayness

outta here ...... have a great day all!
hatty
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 11 Feb 2019, 16:00

hatty is actually pinkeye lol :roll

(Oh, must be another great day for drinking metho :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp )
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby Texan » 11 Feb 2019, 16:25

Yep. It's past my bed time and I need to pack my bags for a business trip.
President Sam Houston
Texan
mountain lion

Postby hatty » 11 Feb 2019, 17:41

Bongalong wrote:hatty is actually pinkeye lol :roll

(Oh, must be another great day for drinking metho :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp )

haha says the resident piss head

fire up the blender for all us fuck head scammer socialist gay femminist ....... ahh fuck it..... i cannae remember all the names you have slung my way

i enjoy the debate...... i like different perspectives...... it's why i'm here. name calling lost it's fun in around grade 3
hatty
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 11 Feb 2019, 18:10

lol, so that's why run down red light districts exist that the cops don't bother to police: yeh good one dickhead!

Yay, go new York and scum arse crap forever yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :beer

What heritage did you pretend you were again?

:Hi :Hi :Hi :Hi :Hi :Hi
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2019, 23:40

Bongalong wrote:hatty is actually pinkeye lol :roll

Beware Bongalong..! Use NOT my name in vain. Only if ye praise me shall you make comment.

AYE.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

PreviousNext

Return to Politics