82 per cent of Australians support immigration

Discuss politics and current affairs here.

Hot topic: The scourge of negative gearing, Friends of the NBN and wrecking lives.  The economy and Poll tracking— all the polls. New! ELECTION 2016, Issues and Leaders

Special Feature 1: Peter Costello and our current deficits.
Special Feature 2: Dr Turnbull and the wrong NBN prescription
Special Feature 3: The Denigration of science, technology and education.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Politics is for serious discussion of politics, economics and current affairs.

Re: 82 per cent of Australians support immigration

Postby Lols » 06 Dec 2018, 20:46

johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Compare us to Japan with the no immigration stance. I know who will be better off in 10–20 years.

yes, Aussie will be unlivable. We are overpopulated as it is.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

overpopulated my arse.

What we suffer from is a lack of governments who are up for some long term planning. That doesn't bring in votes come the next election. Instead of building freeways to cater fora doubling of the population, and therby serving us for the next 50 years, we build freeways that cater to todays population, and with the delays in construction, that usually means it's unable to cope when it's brand new.

and it's not just roads.

Just to bring in votes, exactly, and hardly even catering to todays population, our Eastlink goes into a choking bottleneck into Melbourne, which government was it that tore that previous government contract to do a tunnel under the cemetary to unclog the Eastlink? Didn't that contract and all efforts within cost something like $1.5 billion? Correct me if I am in error.
But whatever, the fact is, that government wanted the votes, and hereby tore it up, our hopes and dreams dashed of that Eastlink being efficient for the Eastern population.
Now, it takes 2 hours to get to Tullamarine airport, and once, it actually clogged us up 4 hours to get from Tulla to the Eastern suburbs.
It shouldn't take more than an hour, in fact, at 4 am, we get from the Yarra Valley to Tullamarine in 50 minutes! And yes, we abide by the speed limits.
Just as an example of the traffic that is increasing more and more.

It makes our blood boil every time we travel on that Eastlink, not in our lifetime will we see the extention it was meant to have. Dammit.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 06 Dec 2018, 20:57

Lols wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Compare us to Japan with the no immigration stance. I know who will be better off in 10–20 years.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

overpopulated my arse.

What we suffer from is a lack of governments who are up for some long term planning. That doesn't bring in votes come the next election. Instead of building freeways to cater fora doubling of the population, and therby serving us for the next 50 years, we build freeways that cater to todays population, and with the delays in construction, that usually means it's unable to cope when it's brand new.

and it's not just roads.

Just to bring in votes, exactly, and hardly even catering to todays population, our Eastlink goes into a choking bottleneck into Melbourne, which government was it that tore that previous government contract to do a tunnel under the cemetary to unclog the Eastlink? Didn't that contract and all efforts within cost something like $1.5 billion? Correct me if I am in error.
But whatever, the fact is, that government wanted the votes, and hereby tore it up, our hopes and dreams dashed of that Eastlink being efficient for the Eastern population.
Now, it takes 2 hours to get to Tullamarine airport, and once, it actually clogged us up 4 hours to get from Tulla to the Eastern suburbs.
It shouldn't take more than an hour, in fact, at 4 am, we get from the Yarra Valley to Tullamarine in 50 minutes! And yes, we abide by the speed limits.
Just as an example of the traffic that is increasing more and more.

It makes our blood boil every time we travel on that Eastlink, not in our lifetime will we see the extention it was meant to have. Dammit.

Government works for the people it represents, and it's up to government to sell their ideas to the public. If they can't then it's either not a good idea to begin with, or the govt. is incapable of doing it's job. Either way, the end result is that one or the other has to go.

That contract should never have been signed. The signing, and the penalty clause were only rushed through at the last minute because the libs knew they would lose the election. That in itself was a travesty of justice. Labors policy the whole way through prior to and during the election campaign was that they wouldn't allow the work in it's current form. That's what the public voted for and labor had no choice but to carry through on their promise. Now even if labor wanted to rework the plan and bring back an alternative version of it, they can't.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 06 Dec 2018, 21:04

Johnny is a globalist pushing mass immigration for some uNknOwn reason lol: he, sorry: IT, owns 82 percent of the internet lol!
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby johnsmith » 06 Dec 2018, 21:06

Bongalong wrote:Johnny is a globalist pushing mass immigration for some uNknOwn reason lol: he, sorry: IT, owns 82 percent of the internet lol!

i wish i owned 82 npercent of the internet. I'd even be happy with 8.2 % :gup :gup
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Bongalong » 06 Dec 2018, 22:04

johnsmith wrote:
Bongalong wrote:Johnny is a globalist pushing mass immigration for some uNknOwn reason lol: he, sorry: IT, owns 82 percent of the internet lol!

i wish i owned 82 npercent of the internet. I'd even be happy with 8.2 % :gup :gup

wE ALL KNOW IDIOTS LIKE YOU MATE :bgrin
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Dec 2018, 01:48

Tally wrote:I get how the economists say we need population because we have an aging workforce, but we should also make it steady as she goes.
Lets face it, it's nice to go on holidays to busy bustling cities in other countries, but it's even better to come back home and have some breathing space.

Getting the right balance is tricky I guess.

I hear you.
I love Australias wide open spaces.

The population cannot always increase.
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:04

Texan wrote:That has to be a bogus survey. I could understand wanting immigration if the immigrants are bringing skills or wealth to your country, but bringing generic immigrants as in a survey is nothing 80% of the people will clamor for. Someone is manufacturing a public support for immigration because it benefits them and not the people of Australia. As in America, someone wants cheap labor or political support.

Yeah.

I'm pretty far left by Yank standards, and even I see immigration - particularly illegal - as an issue.
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:05

johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:That has to be a bogus survey.

No it doesn't.
Australia has been through a period of about 25 years of stable, economic growth (including during the GFC) largely because of our immigration process. We also have an aging population and without this growth we would soon be overcome by retiree's and pensioners out numbering those of working age.

Most people know this and see a good immigration policy as necessary for our continued success.

Interesting.

But sustainable...?

Didn't you go through this with the rabbits?
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:08

That is a VERY interesting point.

What is the Aboriginal take on this...?
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:15

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Lols wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:

It seems the government I recall saying "We believe in a big Australia of over 50 million people!"

And so 1/4 acre blocks with a house on them, healthy enough for kids to kick a football around, no longer exist, there are 2 units built back of original house. Crammed.
Is that healthy?
Seems the more crammed, the more unrest there is, and kids get bored and need outdoor stuff to do, but just contend with their faces in their phones, and playing with x box or whatever.
And usually a lot of violence in their games they play. Great concoction for some future recipe for more unrest or frustrated act of violence?
Like him or not, Dr. David Suzuki said, Australia can sustain 18 million people comfortably.
I have lived in the country area (The Dandenong Ranges) for nearly life, except the years in Melbourne from age 3-9, and remember how different it felt, compared to now. I recall the 1960's and 1970's were the best time Australia had experienced economically compared to the rest of the world.
Our dollar used to be worth 4 of the Japanese Yen, now it's probably lower than their one yen. And we were well above the value of USA's money, gosh the jokes back then I recall, we could buy their cars for "a dime a dozen".
Now, we pay through the nose badly, our dollar has plunged to being less than half the value of the USA's dollar.

So tell me, where are we benefitting since those wonderful days of the 60's and 70's? I long for those days, it was amazing, glad I grew up recognizing that.

Whenever we go overseas, our money is of little value, we feel so impoverished compared to their countries currency.

China, recently, in a market place, one shop owner saying to me "Chinese money, very little"...I said, "Australia money very little too!!"

yes, we do not have arable land or water to sustain the population we currently have

This my understanding, but I don't live upside down in backwards-swirling toilet land. :b
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:18

Aussie wrote:

We will be. Just read an Article. Jap population is 127M. Projected to be 88M in 2065. That is trouble.

Is it?

Or is it a challenge?

Billions of people overrunning the planet?

That's trouble.
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:25

Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:

We will be. Just read an Article. Jap population is 127M. Projected to be 88M in 2065. That is trouble.

Nope that's smart survival as they are very technological nation and there are less jobs because of that, more people wont help, other than the bottom line of the corporations. All it would do is strain and already strained system wit more unemployed, more crime and less services.

And empty houses...which are presently being offered virtually free.

Have spent a lot of time in Japan over the decades, have some close friends there met back in the 1960's. They all claim they prefer a small japan and as their nuclear reactors run down, they believe they will be able to provide enough non polluting energy from renewables to cover their population, as well as services.

They seem very happy to see their population drop, as to them it means more for everyone and not less for the majority, as with population growth.

The transition - and the drop in real estate values - has been rough for some, but in the long run, the drop seems healthy if planned for.
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby MercySeat » 07 Dec 2018, 03:29

Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Nope that's smart survival as they are very technological nation and there are less jobs because of that, more people wont help, other than the bottom line of the corporations. All it would do is strain and already strained system wit more unemployed, more crime and less services.

Excellent for the economy, as it allows those with little resources to get into a home and so contribute more to the economy through spending. Rather than feeding the money hungry financial services for the rest of their lives.

No different to after ww2, when governments built large number of lows cost easy to get into homes, when we had an aging population because of the war. Our economy went through the roof, everyone had job choices and everyone had a home available, easy access to services which were cheap and affordable, as was transport and medical services and our crime rates were extremely low.

The opposite happens with growing populations, property prices soar service become unviable, transport system overtaxed collapsing, health services and other services becoming unaffordable for more and more. As homelessness grows and accommodation become unaffordable.

Some excellent points.

California - the richest/most populous state in Yankland - is a good example of how an unsustainable influx of immigrants (domestic and foreign) can ultimately crash a place.
I can haz copyright?
MercySeat
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2018, 07:26

Baby boomers are still retiring. Those who are crook now but still of working age can’t get the Invalid Support Pension and must suffer the indignity of NewStart, the Libs tried to take away the energy supplement (after causing energy prices to skyrocket!) etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Dec 2018, 08:10

MercySeat wrote:
Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Dax wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Have spent a lot of time in Japan over the decades, have some close friends there met back in the 1960's. They all claim they prefer a small japan and as their nuclear reactors run down, they believe they will be able to provide enough non polluting energy from renewables to cover their population, as well as services.

They seem very happy to see their population drop, as to them it means more for everyone and not less for the majority, as with population growth.

The transition - and the drop in real estate values - has been rough for some, but in the long run, the drop seems healthy if planned for.

the drop in prices is way overdue and has quite some time to go I believe.
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 12:15

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Tally wrote:I get how the economists say we need population because we have an aging workforce, but we should also make it steady as she goes.
Lets face it, it's nice to go on holidays to busy bustling cities in other countries, but it's even better to come back home and have some breathing space.

Getting the right balance is tricky I guess.

I hear you.
I love Australias wide open spaces.

The population cannot always increase.

Nothing grows exponentially! :bike :bike
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 12:18

MercySeat wrote:
Texan wrote:That has to be a bogus survey. I could understand wanting immigration if the immigrants are bringing skills or wealth to your country, but bringing generic immigrants as in a survey is nothing 80% of the people will clamor for. Someone is manufacturing a public support for immigration because it benefits them and not the people of Australia. As in America, someone wants cheap labor or political support.

Yeah.

I'm pretty far left by Yank standards, and even I see immigration - particularly illegal - as an issue.

The whole world knows what they do on the border... no one blames you for having an issue with it: YOU WOULD INFACT BE A TOTALLY INHUMANE PERSON IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH IT!

:tweed :tweed :read :read :read :PC :b
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Dec 2018, 12:20

Bongalong wrote:
MercySeat wrote:

Yeah.

The whole world knows what they do on the border... no one blames you for having an issue with it: YOU WOULD INFACT BE A TOTALLY INHUMANE PERSON IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH IT!

What do they do on the border?
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 12:23

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
MercySeat wrote:

Yeah.

tHEY LEAVE HEADS IN BUCKETS MATE............. that's why when trump says build the wall everyone says no shit!
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Dec 2018, 13:30

Bongalong wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
MercySeat wrote:

Yeah.

tHEY LEAVE HEADS IN BUCKETS MATE............. that's why when trump says build the wall everyone says no shit!

Who leaves whose heads in what bucket?
Why do they leave them there? Did someone forget their head and is that the 'Lost and Found' area?
What size, colour and materials are the buckets?
Is there a special area for the so called 'head buckets' ?

Who says that about Trump building a wall?
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby Bongalong » 07 Dec 2018, 13:35

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
MercySeat wrote:

Yeah.

Why do they leave them there? Did someone forget their head and is that the 'Lost and Found' area?

Are you for fucking serial mate? :tweed :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :gsp :WTF
Free what?
Bongalong
mountain lion

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Dec 2018, 14:03

Is this linked to what people call 'A bucket list?'
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby SethBullock » 07 Dec 2018, 14:13

Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
Sprintcyclist wrote:
Bongalong wrote:
MercySeat wrote:

Yeah.

I think he's talking about what the drug cartels do on their side of the border. They do leave dead bodies laying around all over the place, often mutilated.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower
SethBullock
Irish wolfhound

Postby Sprintcyclist » 07 Dec 2018, 14:42

Sprintcyclist wrote:Is this linked to what people call 'A bucket list?'

So if 'they' are leaving heads in buckets, are they being tidy or untidy ?
Are these specially designed buckets?
Sprintcyclist
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 07 Dec 2018, 17:15

MercySeat wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Texan wrote:That has to be a bogus survey.

No it doesn't.
Australia has been through a period of about 25 years of stable, economic growth (including during the GFC) largely because of our immigration process. We also have an aging population and without this growth we would soon be overcome by retiree's and pensioners out numbering those of working age.

Most people know this and see a good immigration policy as necessary for our continued success.

Interesting.

But sustainable...?

Didn't you go through this with the rabbits?

if govt doesn't screw it up, and they probably will, it's at the very least sustainable for another 50 years.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

PreviousNext

Return to Politics