Self-Help ..Story of a Ride-on Mower

This board is moving to a new board running different, more capable software. Please go here:

http://www.polanimal.com.au/xenforo

You will need to be issued a temporary password on the new board. Please PM HBS Guy, Aussie or mothra for one.

The new board is well worth the little bit of pain involved.

This board will remain open for users who have not posted recently to find the new board

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.
mothra
Duck
spamone: Animal

Re: Self-Help ..Story of a Ride-on Mower

Post by mothra »

If you ride it down to mine and do my lawn (which is seriously some form of triffid), i''ll make you a pot of tea?

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

sigh

I love pots of tea.

Tea is my favourite drink.
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yup, I like tea as well. I like the ceremony: make the tea, stir the tea, tea strainer, milk jug. Can’t drink it on an empty stomach tho so some instant coffee for a wake up drink. I like Darjeeling tea, fragrant and delicate.

For just myself I use teabags and after the first cup I remove the teabags—tea can’t “stew” then. Lots of old people make tea really strong and a bit stewed—they can taste the bitter tannins then.

Never had “high tea” tho, maybe because I am Dutch not English? Like to have a high tea party some time.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

pinkeye wrote:vinegar is great for lots of things , but I haven't use vinegar on my mower yet. Probably should, good cleaning agent.. it kills mould where bleach just bleaches it, but doesn't kill it.
Not that the mower is Mouldy or anything. :roll

So... tomorrow I'm going to start her up again. This afternoon was still too damp.. had a heavy shower just around 12.30...

bleach does actually kill mould....... not just bleaches it. :read
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:vinegar is great for lots of things , but I haven't use vinegar on my mower yet. Probably should, good cleaning agent.. it kills mould where bleach just bleaches it, but doesn't kill it.

So... tomorrow I'm going to start her up again. This afternoon was still too damp.. had a heavy shower just around 12.30...

so does clove oil, with no nasties.. if anything clove is better than bleach for getting rid of stains with mould...
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

johnsmith wrote:

UMM I have to say there are 2 opinions on that.
Bleach doesn't KILL Mould. Not all moulds anyway.

Back to my mower.

So I spent a couple hours mowing .. then it ran out of fuel. Did get quite a lot done, but bugger it.. bloody mowers. !

When I re-fuelled, after couple hours to cool, the motor wouldn't fire... and short of running it flat, I had a look around .. I discovered a coupling behind the carb set-up.. was dislodged. I noted a stain, limited, below it on the deck. Sigh (turns out it was petrol)..

It was a simple L-shaped black plastic going into the carb, with a hole in the middle.. I put it back together , checked fuel and oil levels and tried again. No GO.
That was yesterday. Today, having taken pics of the points of interest I get to talk to the local guy.. he actually sold the Beast to me years ago.

Umm because I replaced the engine, and given the changes in fuel supply and the other things, they couldn't help without getting it in the shop. Too bad.. No trailer no way.

I have decided I am going to look this motor, and it's carb and associated bits up on the Net.
I'll start with Briggs and Stratton .

Don't normally.. but I have no doubt when I identify it.. it WILL find the specs and I WILL understand it better.

I haven't given up.. no way.. and it did rock!! mowing down that grass taller than me, along a fenceline. I knew there was nothing but grass in the way.. I know where stuff is here. :bgrin It was quite a buzz, but , sadly it didn't last

so I guess I go and LOOK STUFF UP. :thumb
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Good luck with the search!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

pinkeye wrote: UMM I have to say there are 2 opinions on that.
Bleach doesn't KILL Mould. Not all moulds anyway.
if there are two opinions, then one is wrong. I used to do this stuff fo a living pink. I'm telling you Bleach most certainly kills mould.

The problem people have is not the bleach, it's that they leave live mould somewhere and then it spreads out again after you wash. In order for it to be effective you have to kill all the mould.

The most common places I've seen mould missed after someone has washed their walls down is on the top edge of the door and door frame, curtains and the back of furniture. One customer washed the walls down, then pushed back a wardrobe of which its back was completely covered in mould Then they whinged that 'bleach doesn't work' when 3 months later the room was full of mould again. Mould grows and spreads, miss even a bit and it'll come back.

the easiest way to kill it in hard to reach areas such as in air vents etc is to put some bleach (diluted) into a spray bottle and spray away
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

we can agree to disagree.

My mower... :sad There is petrol where there shouldn't be petrol, and the mower can't fire. It, umm, might have any number of issues.. the carbie.. the fuel/air mix etc.. the Battery..? It tested fine today, but the mower doesn't want to know. I never had any papers with the motor so looking up the manual.. I'll have search for a certain number, somewhere. Seems I need that before the Site can help. SIGH.

Anyone who knows anyone who owns a Westwood, and needs seriously good parts...???

I have one new battery, and no mower to use it in.

Well I s'pose it is an ancient mower.. haven't been made for decades. Someone might want parts.??

Sigh
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Is it impossible to get it to the place they may be able to fix it?

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

ahh .. sigh

ALL IS WELL.!

:bgrin Thank goodness for good neighbours.

My friend who lives across the road, and has been here nearly as long as I have, gave me a ring today.

I told him what was happening.. he said oh well I got sent home 'cos of the rain, I'll come and have a look if you like.? Umm yeah sure OK great.

I explained all of the preceding actions.. and he looked at it and said, OH Yeah I've got one of these. ( He is an extremely HANDY man..) Oh yes he said, that is too much fuel. The motor will not even turn, regardless of the battery power.. it hasa sort of fuel lock. So simple, and thanks also go to my local mower guy.. one of his young staff members... who rather astonishingly has the makings of a fine handlebar moustache.(or that could be a Dali) who took great pains to suggest possibles, and he was right.! :thumb

It was the carbie .. but how to fix it..?

We collaborated.. my neighbour and I … and his knowledge and my logic, and my pathetic tools... ended up with the big orange beast firing up again.!! :clap :clap :clap

Tell you what, he got a really well-deserved clap on the back, and then a joyous big hug.

It is all go.
Look out grass ..tomorrow. :clap
:bgrin :bgrin
Last edited by pinkeye on 04 Mar 2020, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Looks like lots more rain to come so I.. have to do it tomorrow.!! Yahoo :yahoo
I'll keep you all informed. I am confident that this beast will do the job. :bgrin

Love the rain.
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

AHAHAHAHAHAHA Well done Pinky, well done the neighbor!

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

well done pinky :thumb
FD.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

And I mowed .. yippee.
Yep, thank goodness for good people.

Did the top , the verge , near the road, then got stuck in, inside the fence. Have to tell you this grass st thick, rich and still wet fully grown couch. Gorgeous. ..Lots of native plants I had to mow... just in amongst the grasses. so rich in diversity. :wub

Beast mowed through it all without a hitch . I just need to remember to give it enough juice!.. :bgrin
As usual I ran out of steam, before Beast ran out of petrol. Very heavy machine, and heavy manual steering. Lots of trees and such to go around so lots of steering necessary.
Phew. :hot

Looks like more rain coming, so I made the most of it today. :clap
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Ahahaha!

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

So Beast is back under cover now.
Lots of rain coming.. already a big downpour this arvo.
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

too wet .. some heavy showers have just maintained the water levels in the soil.
It is not weather I would normally mow in.

I nearly got bogged driving out of home the other week.

I have since put lots of stuff down.. the drive slopes, and becomes a river in heavy rain, so I try to slow it down,
items like an Old pair of Jeans, a couple of dogbed sheets, a bath mat, and lots of small twigs and branches. For a small example of my devices. :bgrin

It works. well it has for 30 yrs, but with MORE RAIN EXPECTED, I'll have to add more. :bgrin

Beast is undercover for now.
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Beast was taken out and used. and ran over a hose, which necessitated a solution. Got help from a friend, but now the deck seems unbalanced. With the deck up, it is rattling around so much I have shelved it again, for now. Not game to lower the deck. Umm probably broke something when it was levered up to remove the hose. :(

Anyway, got the small self-prop'd out, and did the best I can. Coming into autumn and winter now, grass will not grow much.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

pinkeye wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 23:17
Beast was taken out and used. and ran over a hose, which necessitated a solution. Got help from a friend, but now the deck seems unbalanced. With the deck up, it is rattling around so much I have shelved it again, for now. Not game to lower the deck. Umm probably broke something when it was levered up to remove the hose. :(

Anyway, got the small self-prop'd out, and did the best I can. Coming into autumn and winter now, grass will not grow much.
My mower got the rattles like that and the blade had a big chunk out of one side and it made the thing feel like it was falling apart, I thought id broken it, I took it in as was under warrantee and as I said was just the blade, Maybe it's bent differently one side than the other, :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

What is a good brand of ride on mower that could tow a little trailer? (for collecting apples and pears etc.)

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

HBS Guy wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 09:49
What is a good brand of ride on mower that could tow a little trailer? (for collecting apples and pears etc.)
you wont have much grass to cut on your block so just the smallest you can find.. Zero Turn mowers are the best but more expensive that the others.. Any ride on can tow a trailer....You might just look at the local shop or ask around always someone doing up old ride on's and selling them.... A 4 wheel buggy might be all you need.. :purple

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

get yourself a second hand quad bike.
FD.

Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Post by Aussie »

johnsmith wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 12:10
get yourself a second hand quad bike.
A very small one is all you need Monk.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

FD.