Self-Help ..Story of a Ride-on Mower

This board is moving to a new board running different, more capable software. Please go here:

http://www.polanimal.com.au/xenforo

You will need to be issued a temporary password on the new board. Please PM HBS Guy, Aussie or mothra for one.

The new board is well worth the little bit of pain involved.

This board will remain open for users who have not posted recently to find the new board

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.
pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Self-Help ..Story of a Ride-on Mower

Post by pinkeye »

I am a woman and I live alone, and I have learned many things over these years.

. gotta do it yourself. :bgrin

So, over the years I have overcome quite a few problems of a practical nature.

(Nothing to do with home reno's) :roll

Latest was my rather large ride-on mower.

A monster of steel, it was built in England and is called a Westwood. 12 H.P. Originally. :bgrin

It has 6 Fwd grs and 1 RV .. once it's in gear off with the clutch and off it goes.
Orange.. it is.... And LOUD.

They stopped making them last century. No parts..well.. unlikely, not worth the bother.

Then I sold it to a neighbour, who didn't do it any good, so i bought back off him for 150 several yrs later. . Can't remember what I sold it to him for originally.

So yeah, about 7 yrs ago the motor blew it... so , with the help of a friend I purchased and fitted a 17.5 H.P. Briggs and Stratton.
Power to burn. :bgrin
Then about 5 yrs ago solenoids in the starter thingy connection lost it. I had to start it with a screwdriver.

Well.. that worked for a couple of yrs...

then all I could smell was petrol, so upon checking, the fuel lead from the tank was leaking. Old, and split. So i replaced it, and got to use it again for a little while. But THEN

( you have to understand here that most of my place doesn't get mowed. I'm no neat freak wanting a lawn... BUT need to reduce fuel load SO......need to every now and then, do a bit of mowing.
I prefer to weed first, by hand, taking out unwanted plants .. and all this rain has made WEEDING FANTASTIC. :bgrin

OMG.... I have so much to burn.. three fallen trees to manage... any day now..)

Pulled apart, cleaned and reset my wee chainsaw , sharpening the chain was my original intent but lots to cut now. But need to MOW
SO

THEN

Back to my wild Westwood.
Yeah well the smell of raw petrol was impossible to ignore, and upon looking at it carefully it became obvious the large plastic fuel tank was itself, leaking. !

Frown. I still used it a couple of times, lets forget the minutiae, but eventually realised it was really UNSAFE. Using a spark to start this machine right next to fuel gasses ?? I guess I was lucky.

I'd bought a new battery .. umm but never got to use it enough. It wouldn't hold a recharge..

And the other day, after what 2+ yrs I realised I needed to sort this out. Don't waste this////

So... we have a Machine that needs fuel supply, safe storage of same and power. No replacement fuel tanks or solenoids, so what do I do.?

:bgrin

I was just going to tell you all what I did... but then I thought.. I enjoy problem-solving. i wonder what you would done, given very limited funds. ? :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Re: Self-Help ..Story of a Ride-on Mower

Post by pinkeye »

But
on the other hand, how could you...? you had to be there/here.

What do you do.? You talk to people.
People with knowledge that you need. You talk to them and ask them questions and work from that. That is what I did.

And.. the best and current solution was suggested by my ex-husband... we keep in contact,, so.. the suggestion..?

Bypass that old tank altogether. Find another vessel that will do the job and away you go.

Still have to start it with a screwdriver BUT no leaking petrol fumes.!!
That made perfect sense, so that is what I did. :clap

So. given that the old plastic fuel tank was very tall and rectangular, I saw my local mower guy, and bought a 2nd hand Toro tank,, I reckoned it would fit with a fair bit of finessing by me. He said $30 ..I offered $20 . :thumb

I used a bodkin, to make holes in the tank, a straight edged knife, and finally realised a bread knife was the best.. so I cut out part of the old tank with a bit of sweat and frustration...put in slits here and there and shoved in the replacement.. it was a squeeze... :bgrin :bgrin been working on it and lost a fair bit of skin...
hooked up the fuel lines :thumb

No leaks.. then tried starting it. With the old battery recharged. Nuh Uh.. Not enough charge.

SO finally..YESTERDAY NOW, I purchased a replacement battery, put a proper terminal connector on the black lead, put on the new screws to hold the leads to the terminals, got my screwdriver,,

AND FIRED HER UP. !!! :yahoo :yahoo :yahoo

I actually mowed !!!

Plan is .. do the bulk with the wild westwood, then finish off with my Sanli self-propelled lawnmower.. it does a good job, but not designed for anything like my place. But I don't have to push it. :yahoo :yahoo
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Well done Pinky!

I plan on no lawn but in between the rows of apple and pear trees bloody grass will likely grow and not even thick mulch will stop grass. A ride on mower will be needed as I am not getting any younger. a flamethrower mounted on the mower for the really thick, tough grass on the edges of the block. Brushcutters won’t cut it, bit of a curse down there. Cut it with secateurs then half a bottle metho poured over, a match. . .might make a difference. or water it with vinegar in the water, make the soil there acid.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

bravo pinky :clap :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

HBS Guy wrote:Well done Pinky!

I plan on no lawn but in between the rows of apple and pear trees bloody grass will likely grow and not even thick mulch will stop grass. A ride on mower will be needed as I am not getting any younger. a flamethrower mounted on the mower for the really thick, tough grass on the edges of the block. Brushcutters won’t cut it, bit of a curse down there. Cut it with secateurs then half a bottle metho poured over, a match. . .might make a difference. or water it with vinegar in the water, make the soil there acid.
Oh yes.. if you get rain you'll get grass. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

johnsmith wrote:bravo pinky :clap :clap
yeah thanks... gives me a real sense of satisfaction to have worked it out, AND I get to MOW. :yahoo
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

I was all set to have another mowing experience
(they always are, you have no idea the places I have been stuck with this monster!)

BUT
Instead
I went and spent time with a friend today... we talked.
I showed her the pics of the NEW fuel tank, and she was chuffed. :thumb Women can do anything.

And just as well, because I have overworked my hands, wrists and forearms putting all this together.
I need a couple of days off.

It is great to KNOW, I can go and start up the Wild WestWood again,... when I can. :bgrin
Lots more to mow. :thumb
sleeping is good for you

Dax
Jaguar

Post by Dax »

I user a 5ft slasher behind a kubota tractor for my lawns, takes just a few minutes around the houses and then the paddocks. Have a ride on lawnmower use to use in the pubs but it has almost fallen apart and the kubota doe the job so much easier and cheaper using veggie oil to run it.

Good to see a lady dong something useful for once. :roll :thumb

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

“for once” don’t go overboard with the compliments there you old ideologue!

Dax
Jaguar

Post by Dax »

HBS Guy wrote:“for once” don’t go overboard with the compliments there you old ideologue!
You really don't have any form of decent life do you, just useless fear filled indoctrination and a fervent hater of fact and reality.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

So says the braindead idealogue.

You crap on and on but it is 90% the same crap “clones” “ideologues” “god nutters” etc.

Your dietary advice is dangerously wrong. Most of what actual message you try to convey is wrong. People do not read your posts because you are repetitive, boring and a fantasist!

Cut out the 90% repetitive crap and people MAY start to read you again.

You gave a VERY left handed compliment to Pinky and I think you should reconsider and maybe apologise to her. Or just fuck off.

Dax
Jaguar

Post by Dax »

HBS Guy wrote:So says the braindead idealogue.

You crap on and on but it is 90% the same crap “clones” “ideologues” “god nutters” etc.

Your dietary advice is dangerously wrong. Most of what actual message you try to convey is wrong. People do not read your posts because you are repetitive, boring and a fantasist!

Cut out the 90% repetitive crap and people MAY start to read you again.

You gave a VERY left handed compliment to Pinky and I think you should reconsider and maybe apologise to her. Or just fuck off.
You really do hate people of difference don't you, for repetitiveness read your own posts and if the label fits, wear it, or change. But then again, hypocrisy is your friend in life and nothing else.

The dietary viewpoint I provide, is from the recognised and accepted medical science, your's comes from the propaganda and take away shop. I'm fit and healthy, you're not, which shows who is on the right track and who is in deep denial.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Not man enough to apologise to Pinky? Take a week to think it over.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Not man enough to apologise to Pinky? Take a week to think it over.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

I've never seen Monk once say to eat or talk about eating Junk food or Fast food.

We only have your word for it Dax, In reality you could be a overweight, bedridden Teenage Girl who eats Mac Donald's all day and never leaves her computer.....
As from your words
you own multiple Pubs
Multiple restaurants
About 20 houses
Been homeless
Been to UNI
Benn in the defence force and seen service
been a traveling muso for 40 years...
Live as a hermit with a harem of Women..

We can all be who we want on the internet Dax...... :buddy
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

DonDeeHippy wrote:I've never seen Monk once say to eat or talk about eating Junk food or Fast food.

We only have your word for it Dax, In reality you could be a overweight, bedridden Teenage Girl who eats Mac Donald's all day and never leaves her computer.....
As from your words
you own multiple Pubs
Multiple restaurants
About 20 houses
Been homeless
Been to UNI
Benn in the defence force and seen service
been a traveling muso for 40 years...
Live as a hermit with a harem of Women..

We can all be who we want on the internet Dax...... :buddy
don't forget that he's a traveling musician in a band
and when he does travel o'seas, he usually goes by ship

i don't know where he gets the time to do all that, and post on this forum :grn :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

HBS Guy wrote:Well done Pinky!

I plan on no lawn but in between the rows of apple and pear trees bloody grass will likely grow and not even thick mulch will stop grass. A ride on mower will be needed as I am not getting any younger. a flamethrower

:bgrin Well that's a new one on me... a flamethrower..??? :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Dax wrote:I user a 5ft slasher behind a kubota tractor for my lawns, takes just a few minutes around the houses and then the paddocks. Have a ride on lawnmower use to use in the pubs but it has almost fallen apart and the kubota doe the job so much easier and cheaper using veggie oil to run it.

Good to see a lady dong something useful for once. :roll :thumb
Gawd you sound like my neighbour. He's got a Kubota , with slasher , and chemical sprayer attachments. His land is twice the size of mine, but he cut EVERY TREE DOWN.... except a few. He is lucky .. the Council couldn't do him. I tried..... NOW.? At least once a week he is out there mowing his fucking lawn, sitting under his shade top, on his Kubota, with a hat on. Un believable. We had a battle royal..

No one won.
Certainly not the environment.
Nothing can bring back what he destroyed.

You know DAX.. don't do that. Mowing is the worst thing you can do if you value the small things.
IF I could use a brushcutter I would, just to manage the tall stuff. The rest, you pull out by hand and burn.
So I have a lot of work ahead of me.. and that is fine. The ground is so soft weeding again will become priority, once I clear up the long stuff … how good it is to be able to do this. :bgrin

Umm I'm thinking Sat Arvo late, when it is cooler, and the moisture in the grass and the ground has had a few more hours to dry out.

And my bod has had a bit more time to recoup. :thumb
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Only a small flamethrower :roll :bgrin

There is this clumping, high, thick stemmed grass here, brushcutters don’t cut it even RoundUp doesn’t get rid of it completely. When living there I can see me spending an hour a week cutting a clump with secateurs then maybe apply RoundUp to the stump of it, or metho + match.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

HBS Guy wrote:Only a small flamethrower :roll :bgrin

There is this clumping, high, thick stemmed grass here, brushcutters don’t cut it even RoundUp doesn’t get rid of it completely. When living there I can see me spending an hour a week cutting a clump with secateurs then maybe apply RoundUp to the stump of it, or metho + match.
I noticed at Bunnings Yeats does a organic weed killer, I looked into it and its Clove and vinegar, So a Litre of Vinegar and 40ml of Clove oil, Warm day and Definitely no Moisture and it should do the trick without the chemicals....
Clove oil is also wonderful to get rid of Mould, just a few drops in one of those little $1 spray bottles and Mould disappears..
Go on E'Bay and for about $80 you can get a litre of Clove oil from India, just make sure it's pure.. If you interested I'm sure I can find a link....
ps. Don't fall into the trap of putting more than a few drops in, the oil is so strong you wont be able to enter a room ...
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Clove oil gets rid of pantry moths too, stops toothache. The wonderful world of spice!

I reckon the vinegar might do the job on its own, make the soil very acid. Tartaric acid is a very strong acid for an organic acid, in case the vinegar fails.

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

HBS Guy wrote:Clove oil gets rid of pantry moths too, stops toothache. The wonderful world of spice!

I reckon the vinegar might do the job on its own, make the soil very acid. Tartaric acid is a very strong acid for an organic acid, in case the vinegar fails.
The Yeats active ingredients are 40g each of acetic acid and clove oil, I figured Vinegar because it is about 40g per Litre ,you could use other forms if you wanted to buy, probable more expensive... :purple

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

vinegar is great for lots of things , but I haven't use vinegar on my mower yet. Probably should, good cleaning agent.. it kills mould where bleach just bleaches it, but doesn't kill it.
Not that the mower is Mouldy or anything. :roll

So... tomorrow I'm going to start her up again. This afternoon was still too damp.. had a heavy shower just around 12.30...
sleeping is good for you

mothra
Duck

Post by mothra »

Great story, Pink. Love your style.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

thanks.. and it's all true. :)

I just always have liked to make people smile, believe it not. I'm a jester in human disguise.

So YEP I swear.. I'm out there mowing ..later today. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you