What are you reading?

This board is moving to a new board running different, more capable software. Please go here:

http://www.polanimal.com.au/xenforo

You will need to be issued a temporary password on the new board. Please PM HBS Guy, Aussie or mothra for one.

The new board is well worth the little bit of pain involved.

This board will remain open for users who have not posted recently to find the new board

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: What are you reading?

Post by HBS Guy »

When my house is built I will take any number of books but right now I have TOO MUCH STUFF to take to Tassie and limited room to store stuff there.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Post by pinkeye »

Hey I'm not trying to flog them off.. :roll :roll

Libraries are being opened.. yippee!!

Currently I'm reading RADIX ….. by A. A. Attanasio.

Can't wait to get to the Library. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

I've read 228 pages of the 500 page book "Veil - The Secret Wars of the CIA 1981-1987" so far.

The book is well researched. It focuses on the CIA from the perspective of the top leaders - the Director of the CIA, his Deputy Directors, the President and his top staff members, members of Congress, and some of the top military and civilian leaders of various defense/intelligence agencies. So far, there is really nothing from the perspective of those "in the trenches" who carried out CIA operations. It is not about that. "The Moscow Rules" was about the operations of the spies on the street, and it read like a spy-thriller novel, although it was all true.

"Veil" is more about the discussions, policy-making arguments, and various political intrigues at the very top. Woodward did a good job of developing all of these top characters - their backgrounds, personalities, motivations and points of view.

For me, the book is interesting, but not a page-turner that holds my attention like "The Moscow Rules" did. This far into the book, it is focusing on the CIA support of the Contras, an anti-communist, anti-Sandinista para-military group in Nicaragua. I already know this history, so I'm not learning anything new about the basic history. The book does give the reader an insight into all of the behind-the-scenes arguments, concerns, and discussions that went in to making the decision to do this.

Woodward really did his homework in bringing all of this to life.

Still, I'm finding that it can only hold my interest in short bursts of reading.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Yey Library opened today.! :clap
They'd been shutdown due to Covid-19.

It is great to get access to free books.. I am finding Large Print books much easier to read, but I persevere with the small print too.
Sigh
sleeping is good for you