What are you reading?

This board is moving to a new board running different, more capable software. Please go here:

http://www.polanimal.com.au/xenforo

You will need to be issued a temporary password on the new board. Please PM HBS Guy, Aussie or mothra for one.

The new board is well worth the little bit of pain involved.

This board will remain open for users who have not posted recently to find the new board

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: What are you reading?

Post by HBS Guy »

Yup, one lecture I watched on the US civil war, the siege of Petersburg, the lecturer said “Grant emailed Lincoln.”

Laughter from the audience Oops, telegraphed Lincoln. We belong to our epoch, the past is a foreign country. But yes, a copper looking for a public telephone booth :rofl :rofl :rofl

pinkeye
Rhinocerus
spamone: Animal

Post by pinkeye »

SethBullock wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 02:36
I just finished The Moscow Rules. It was fascinating and fast paced. I was actually sorry that it ended, wishing these stories could go on and on.

It reads like a spy novel, but it is all non-fiction.

If you like a book that gets your attention early and holds it to the last page, you’ll enjoy this book.
Truth is often harder to accept than fiction.
sleeping is good for you

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

pinkeye wrote:
04 May 2020, 02:26
SethBullock wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 02:36
I just finished The Moscow Rules. It was fascinating and fast paced. I was actually sorry that it ended, wishing these stories could go on and on.

It reads like a spy novel, but it is all non-fiction.

If you like a book that gets your attention early and holds it to the last page, you’ll enjoy this book.
Truth is often harder to accept than fiction.
Truth is also often more interesting than fiction. What happens in real life is often just as exciting, just as dangerous, and just as daring as what is written in fiction.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

tell me about it !! :roll
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Got it a couple days ago, will start on this soon:

Carl Sagan “The Demon–Haunted World—Science as a candle in the dark

Not new—first published 1997—but sounds like a great read. This 21st century still is not immune from charlatans and grifters!

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

SethBullock wrote:
02 May 2020, 22:12
That's interesting.
The Lun-class ekranoplan is a ground effect vehicle (GEV) designed by Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeyev in 1975 and used by the Soviet and Russian navies from 1987 until sometime in the late 1990s

Have u heard about this ground effect plane based on the concept that pelicans use?
It had ur mob stuffed for quite a number of years!

All they were aware off, was that it was travelling faster then what they believed a boat or ship can do, flashing across the Caspian Sea.

Chuck
Cheetah

Post by Chuck »

An interesting book that I have read is Directorate S

Directorate S: The C.I.A. and America's Secret Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan
by Steve Coll

From the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Ghost Wars, the epic and enthralling story of America's intelligence, military, and diplomatic efforts to defeat Al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan since 9/11

I’ve been watching the TV series 'Homeland' and can see the similarities to the book.

What I have found interest in the book is that one of the character and his family maybe living in Australia.

Steve heard a rumour that the family of retired Pakistan General, now reside in Australia?

The former General was in charge of the spy agency that supplied and advised the Taliban how to kill and disrupt efforts to stabilise Afghanistan.

This man may have blood on his hand, and be responsible for the death of our troops!

We need to find out why this wealthy Pakistan family could buy residency status thru our poor administration of the immigration policy.

I’m led to believe it only his family that is currently residing here.

The following extract of allegations are from Pakistan source:
"It was also alleged that General wanted to go to Australia in connection with some of his financial matters. It was also said that General has purchased a ranch in Australia and wants to settle there permanently...... The News that retd General neither wanted to travel to Australia nor was he stopped either by the Interior Ministry or by the FIA."

The civvy govt was trying to attack the local Taliban in the northern provinces,  while Its spy agency was underming the interest of the civil govt.  ISI the influential part of the spy agency considered what was in the  best interest of the country.

I accidentally came across a person who may have more knowledge about this General on another website!

Can't say that I disagree with you on most of your attached points. The complexities are daunting. And just so you're aware I'm not using Google to argue any of my points. I'm a 35 year veteran of the North West Frontier of Pakistan and Afghanistan and its people, with numerous government contacts, up to and including high ranking military, police and ISI.

Aside from all the arguments and speculation, don't underestimate the work Pakistan is doing to fight fundamentalist terror. If only you and the average Westerner knew the truth of it. And its not helped by Trumps uneducated, aggressive Tweets and his withdrawal of aid. Sadly, the US political system still don't get the dynamics of the Pak/Afghan culture. And those in the system (adviser's) that do are generally ignored for a variety of reasons.

I hear lot's of things, but I don't get involved with rumour. My association with the Pashtuns goes back a long way, both here in Oz and the NWF region, and is purely social/friendship - albeit with some powerful, tribal families of which many hold elite positions. That said, I don't, and never have, been involved with the politics - other than my continued interest and understanding of the culture and history. So no, I haven't made money from the situation. And yes, I'm an Australian now living on home ground.

My response to this person, ur overseas contacts thru u could answer whether this family is residing in Aust.

U could be the missing link for Steve Coll  speculation that General Kayani family, is rumoured to be living here.

SethBullock
Warthog

Post by SethBullock »

Recommended to me by my son, I just received this in the mail ...

"Veil" - "The Secret Wars of the CIA 1981-1987", by Bob Woodward (1987).

Looking forward to getting into this book, and I'll let you all know how it is.
veil.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” - Stephen Grellet

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I am reading a Larry Niven anthology, Volume 1 of the Man–Kzint Wars. Very science fiction. Imagine a sentient tiger with a hair trigger temper—that is a Kzint.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Larry Niven... what an excellent writer. I think I even have a paperback or two of his stashed away.. Amazing.

Umm you might like Roger Zelazney, if you haven't read him already. Another mind-bending author in the science fiction genre.

I really like those older writers.

I have stopped reading new S F because it goes at a pace that isn't mine.

I find comfort in human murder and mystery. :jump

BUT currently, I am reading the Hunger Games. I got it and the sequel as booty from friends moving. Never thought I 'd actually read those books, but with Libraries closed, they're the next on the pile of books awaiting my attention. so .. so far.. well it is published by a Children's Book publisher ...
It is simple, and easy to read.. the premise is interesting.. if inlikely...
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

HBS Guy wrote:
10 May 2020, 16:29
I am reading a Larry Niven anthology, Volume 1 of the Man–Kzint Wars. Very science fiction. Imagine a sentient tiger with a hair trigger temper—that is a Kzint.
The of course there is C J Cherryh's momentus series.. well actually she has written several very different series.. from torturous Morgaine Saga ....
to the series about first contact between humans and other. Each book had a one word title .. like Intruder.. :roll ?
Umm they're rather cat-like as well,, but big, with all the sort of history you'd expect in a culture like feudal Japan.. except much more complicated, and based on a space-fearing people. Loved those, and I might get to read them again if Libraries don't open soon. .
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

I have a couple Zelazny books.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Have you read them.?
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Yup. Can’t remember them tho. Might hunt them out and reread.
Niven book is the Kindle version—very cheap and I do NOT need more stuff here to take to Tassie eventually. I load the car up with junk I don’t need now but will eventually and put them in the shed on my Tassie block.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Yeah I get that. Having been in one place for quite a while now I have quite a selection of paperbacks (mainly) People amaze me... to write a book... easy enough if you have real facts and historical information .. but sometimes that's not possible.

I have just LOVED so many stories and authors over the years, I have them sitting in boxes, or on my shelves.

Authors like Niven , Bliss, even have some early paperbacks of an author, who committed suicide , because he's failed to get support from publishers, just like a day before his first ACCEPTANCE letter was sent..

TOO late. But some of his stories made it into print. This is strictly SF.
Just one of them.. and I have more than two, was called..

"Little Fuzzy" is one I have. I'm trying hard to remember the name of the author...…
otherwise I'll have to look.. maybe they aren't in a box..

well guess they're in the box. Gosh I just looked at some of my collection .. the authors... the titles.. some of the absolute greats.. Poul Andersen ,Asimov, John Brunner, AC Clarke, Gordon R Dickson, James Bliss, Fritz Lieber. A Bertram Chandler..Greg Bear, Michael Creichton , etc..

Crikey... all over the shop and many more. I used to think there might be people out there that might value them.. The ideas are so
interesting .So I've kept them. To no apparent point.
Anyone want some smelly old paperbacks.. pulled from 2nd hnd shops all over.?
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Not me right now.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

:bgrin

I am always slightly horrified when I hear people who say.. I don't read books.

:WTF
sleeping is good for you

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Post by HBS Guy »

Fritz Lieber “A Spectre is Haunting Texas” is a fun read.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

pinkeye wrote:
12 May 2020, 23:38
:bgrin

I am always slightly horrified when I hear people who say.. I don't read books.

:WTF
I recall when I used to manage the complex, a resident there had two boys approx. the same age as my boys which at the time would have been about 6 and 4 years of age. We read to my boys every evening, at least two short stories from the day they were each born until they were able to read for themselves. My wife will still sit and read to them occasionally, although now they prefer to read their own books. We had about 100 books for them and used to borrow more from the library often. The other resident only owned one 'little golden' book, and she said she'd read it to her kids twice in 6 years.. . Then she complained her son was behind the other kids in his class with his letters and reading.

I was horrified. She was just lazy and her kids would suffer for it.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

It easy to lay blame JS. If she was never encouraged to read, she'd have no idea of what her kids were missing.

I found reading very early. Have read avidly ever since. Before that tho, I can remember trying to write.. i'd use a whole page or two just pretending I was writing.. in LONGHAND.

Nowadays, everybody prints Its really boring don't you think.?

Anyway, I commend you, because books are tangible real things .. they help to anchor us in our humanity.

Hmm and sometimes that isn't always good. The material counts, more than the medium.
sleeping is good for you

DonDeeHippy
Warthog

Post by DonDeeHippy »

pinkeye wrote:
14 May 2020, 06:02
It easy to lay blame JS. If she was never encouraged to read, she'd have no idea of what her kids were missing.

I found reading very early. Have read avidly ever since. Before that tho, I can remember trying to write.. i'd use a whole page or two just pretending I was writing.. in LONGHAND.

Anyway, I commend you, because books are tangible real things .. they help to anchor us in our humanity.

Hmm and sometimes that isn't always good. The material counts, more than the medium.
I remember my first big book I read was Black Beauty when I was 9 . Then I found dads Sci Fi stash, Larry Niven, Stanislaw Len, Now Heinlein is my Favourite. I'm still reading old Sci Fi Books, I have Boxes of them... :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
Shellandshilo1956 ….. Even an annoying troll, has the right to free speech.

johnsmith
Lion

Post by johnsmith »

pinkeye wrote:
I don't buy that.
I was never encouraged to read. In fact, growing up I would often get in trouble for reading ... my dad saw it as a waste of time. And yet I read more than anyone else I know.

She's educated. She worked in social welfare. She should have known better but all she was interested in was sending the kids into their playroom ( garage) so they could watch tv and leave her alone to drink her wine every evening. She was one of those who saw her kids as an interference .
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

DonDeeHippy wrote:
14 May 2020, 06:23
pinkeye wrote:

I remember my first big book I read was Black Beauty when I was 9 . Then I found dads Sci Fi stash, Larry Niven, Stanislaw Len, Now Heinlein is my Favourite. I'm still reading old Sci Fi Books, I have Boxes of them... :purple
Me too.

OH Black Beauty..!! Cried my heart out.
I read Horse books for years.. old time .. lots of animal themes ,, was it Chesterton ? or Chesterfield, that wrote magnificent books.. based on animals. haven't got any now. Like I remember reading The Call of the Wild by Jack London. That was early stuff, for me.

I was just looking at my old copy of Ringworld .. so it's dusty and smelly , and so I looked at some others.. one I hadn't read showed up.

DR DEMARR

by Louis Theroux
Wow
very slim volume, it runs to 86 pages..
Perfect in many ways
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

johnsmith wrote:
14 May 2020, 08:11
pinkeye wrote:
I don't buy that.
I was never encouraged to read. In fact, growing up I would often get in trouble for reading ... my dad saw it as a waste of time. And yet I read more than anyone else I know.

She's educated. She worked in social welfare. She should have known better but all she was interested in was sending the kids into their playroom ( garage) so they could watch tv and leave her alone to drink her wine every evening. She was one of those who saw her kids as an interference .
Yes I know it happens.. sorry JS.. not your problem, or fault.
sleeping is good for you

pinkeye
Rhinocerus

Post by pinkeye »

Robert E Heinlein wasn't it.?

Have read so many of his books, but that was a few decades ago now. Always a good rollicking read.. +
I remember one set on a planet where everyone wore guns. They expected to.. and once a year there'd be a duel between 2 gunmen..
Rules applied of course. Always tickled my fancy. All voluntary. :bgrin

The paperbacks often had salacious cover art. Really vibrant art,.. like caricatures.. That is something else I remember, and they were incredibly sexist... LIKE not stirring anything here.. it's just :jump

I used to LOVE LOVE..... Andre Norton, and Ursula Le Guin . They are present in my dusty old collection too. :bgrin
Years of wonder..
sleeping is good for you