What makes the best dog?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby johnsmith » 01 Feb 2020, 18:09

karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
karlrand wrote:If their diet is well managed all they need
for the coat to shine then is the odd brushing. I’ve found kelp powder and fish oil daily really brings out the shine


I used to give my dog a hard boiled egg and a slice of cheese every day with his meal ... he was only short haired (Doberman) so didn't need a lot of brushing. His coat always shone because of it.

Although there was a smelly downside to feeding him the eggs :grn

There are a lot of folk myths out there about canine diets. Several vets have told me eggs won’t do dogs any real harm but they can’t digest the whites.
As to smelly ‘down sides’ I never give my dogs lamb bones. YUK !



i wasn't going to separate the eggs for him. :roll :roll

Well, having been a chef at one stage it’s comes easy.
Besides, just think of all those whites you’d have left over for Pavs.


i don't do pavs. I'm not much of a baker.
I used to cook his meals in bulk. 5kg of roo meat and 5kg of mixed veges in one pot on one side of the BBQ, a smaller pot with a full carton of eggs on the other side . Had to cook it outside as the roo meat stank when cooking. Leave them to cool, throw eggs in the fridge, then bag the meat / vege combo into sandwich bags and freeze them. He got one bag, an equal amount of kibble, an egg and a slice of cheese every day.
He was 50kg of solid muscle who wouldn't hurt a fly (other dogs was a different story). Not that it mattered, people would only look at him and stay away.. I still miss my boy and he died about 15 yrs ago
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9684
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 18:46

johnsmith wrote:i don't do pavs. I'm not much of a baker.
I used to cook his meals in bulk. 5kg of roo meat and 5kg of mixed veges in one pot on one side of the BBQ, a smaller pot with a full carton of eggs on the other side . Had to cook it outside as the roo meat stank when cooking. Leave them to cool, throw eggs in the fridge, then bag the meat / vege combo into sandwich bags and freeze them. He got one bag, an equal amount of kibble, an egg and a slice of cheese every day.
He was 50kg of solid muscle who wouldn't hurt a fly (other dogs was a different story). Not that it mattered, people would only look at him and stay away.. I still miss my boy and he died about 15 yrs ago

I cook the local wallaby meat due to the risk of a number of infections, parasites etc. All other meat for my dogs they have raw with oats, kelp powder, fish oil and a range of veg. They get bones every second day but never the local wallaby bones as they splinter into dangerous sharp, pointed shapes.

Missing dogs is a strange one for me.I’m so old I suspect I’ve even forgetten a few I had as a child. When the two I have now kick the bucket that’s it. At may age taking nor more pooches wouldn’t be fare due to the high probability I’ll go to the big kennel in the sky before they do. Having said that I have no idea how I’ll survive without a dog.
Last edited by karlrand on 01 Feb 2020, 18:56, edited 2 times in total.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby Aussie » 01 Feb 2020, 18:51

MR Smith and I have had this conversation before. Nothing better than a great Dobermann. Pussies with people, but angry with other dogs who come into their territory.

Sax was our Family's best dog, without question.

I'd get one tomorrow if they came with a person who exercised them. TIB would have a fit, but for a Dobermann, I'd over-rule her.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 9176
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 19:05

Aussie wrote:MR Smith and I have had this conversation before. Nothing better than a great Dobermann. Pussies with people, but angry with other dogs who come into their territory.

Sax was our Family's best dog, without question.

I'd get one tomorrow if they came with a person who exercised them. TIB would have a fit, but for a Dobermann, I'd over-rule her.

I was given a ginger tom cat (kitten) who soon grew into a huge monster. He’d sit on the fence next door until a large dog came along, jump on it’s back, sink his teeth into the back of the neck and ride it. He’d bring home live possums most nights, bash their heads against the wall, eat that part and give the remainder to my dogs. Eventully I had to give him away due to him baling up a neighbours doberman, He’d somehow round it up into a corner of their yard swiping it’s nose if it dared move. The owner threatened me with legal action so I gave ‘Booboo’ to a friend who lived in an inner Melbourne suburb. He must have missed the possums but filled his time in during the day sitting on the pavement waiting for any unsuspecting pooch to walk up to him. Then all hell broke loose. My friend had to have him euthanised. He was a total monster.
An animal I didn’t miss for a second.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2020, 22:59

karlrand wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Still no suitable puppy in the pound, just American Staffordshire bull terriers—too heavy, could cause Mum to fall just jumping up to greet her. Still want a bigger dog just for a change but can wait until I am settled in Tassie.

A rescue greyhound?


Not a bad idea at all. My neighbours for a few years had greyhounds. i 'd look after them if the folks had to go away. Absolutely lovely dogs...…

Never buy a puppy for an old person. RSPCA have a program which matches older dogs with older folks. Might be worth enquiring about.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2020, 23:03

karlrand wrote:Did I say foosh and choops?


:bgrin no you talked about possum meat.

Don't hear much about that here in Australia I have to say, and NZ has still got a possum plague , I imagine.

All those long steel sheaths encircling the electricity poles ... well.. that is how it was when I was a lot younger. :bgrin
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2020, 23:08

karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:i don't do pavs. I'm not much of a baker.
I used to cook his meals in bulk. 5kg of roo meat and 5kg of mixed veges in one pot on one side of the BBQ, a smaller pot with a full carton of eggs on the other side . Had to cook it outside as the roo meat stank when cooking. Leave them to cool, throw eggs in the fridge, then bag the meat / vege combo into sandwich bags and freeze them. He got one bag, an equal amount of kibble, an egg and a slice of cheese every day.
He was 50kg of solid muscle who wouldn't hurt a fly (other dogs was a different story). Not that it mattered, people would only look at him and stay away.. I still miss my boy and he died about 15 yrs ago

I cook the local wallaby meat due to the risk of a number of infections, parasites etc. All other meat for my dogs they have raw with oats, kelp powder, fish oil and a range of veg. They get bones every second day but never the local wallaby bones as they splinter into dangerous sharp, pointed shapes.

Missing dogs is a strange one for me.I’m so old I suspect I’ve even forgetten a few I had as a child. When the two I have now kick the bucket that’s it. At may age taking nor more pooches wouldn’t be fare due to the high probability I’ll go to the big kennel in the sky before they do. Having said that I have no idea how I’ll survive without a dog.



I concur.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby johnsmith » 03 Feb 2020, 20:08

karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:i don't do pavs. I'm not much of a baker.
I used to cook his meals in bulk. 5kg of roo meat and 5kg of mixed veges in one pot on one side of the BBQ, a smaller pot with a full carton of eggs on the other side . Had to cook it outside as the roo meat stank when cooking. Leave them to cool, throw eggs in the fridge, then bag the meat / vege combo into sandwich bags and freeze them. He got one bag, an equal amount of kibble, an egg and a slice of cheese every day.
He was 50kg of solid muscle who wouldn't hurt a fly (other dogs was a different story). Not that it mattered, people would only look at him and stay away.. I still miss my boy and he died about 15 yrs ago

I cook the local wallaby meat due to the risk of a number of infections, parasites etc. All other meat for my dogs they have raw with oats, kelp powder, fish oil and a range of veg. They get bones every second day but never the local wallaby bones as they splinter into dangerous sharp, pointed shapes.

Missing dogs is a strange one for me.I’m so old I suspect I’ve even forgetten a few I had as a child. When the two I have now kick the bucket that’s it. At may age taking nor more pooches wouldn’t be fare due to the high probability I’ll go to the big kennel in the sky before they do. Having said that I have no idea how I’ll survive without a dog.


I've had many dogs, but Ceasar was more than just a dog to me. He's the only one I miss. He came with me everywhere. I'd go in a shop and tell him to wait, and he'd wait. (I'd be praying no stray dog approached him in the few minutes i was gone) He always knew my moods, knew when to push me, and knew when to comfort me. I used to work evenings back then so we had plenty of time to spend together.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 9684
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 03 Feb 2020, 23:19

My big girl is still looking good. :bgrin


If it wasn't so f'n hot
i'd take her for a walk
around the block.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby mothra » 03 Feb 2020, 23:31

My best dog was a Kelpie X named Ajax. He was without doubt my very best friend and still, 8 years on i grieve for him. The day he died was one of the hardest days of my life. I still can't talk about it.

He was like a sibling to my kids.

Part of me died the day he did.

He had 3 horrible faults we could not ammend in him though, no matter how hard we tried ... and we tried everything.

He jumped on you, swum at you and he was the best escapologist and traveller that ever walked on four legs. Used to take himself off to the school for recess and lunch, for a start. Cleared fences with ease; no amount of walkies would satiate him. Lost count of the amount of times i picked him up from the pound.

And he was a pain in the arse to take swimming. He kept swimming at you and you'd have to grab him around the middle and hold him there so he didn't slice you up with his claws. And i swim alot. And i always ((because i'm a sucker) took him with.
User avatar
mothra
Duck
 
Posts: 6580
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 17:47
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 04 Feb 2020, 03:16

Yes

it is hard
so
any pack
you have
you have
to be the
top dog.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 03:24

Demi was a great escaper: that time she was running at her full pace at exactly the moment I opened the gate I thought was her cleverest escape, so precisely timed! Always back in 10 minutes unless she saw us as she came up the drive—off again in a flash then for another 10 minutes.

And food thief—little 8.5Kg terrier yet she could pinch food off a counter if said food was near the edge, jumping up until her front paws hooked into something. Still wonder if she got stomach pain from stealing and eating the large last slice of that chili pizza.

Loving dog despite being abused as a puppy. Never liked strangers.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 04 Feb 2020, 03:38

my girl eats food with chilli on it often
black pepper ..
no onions... I don't eat them either..
no garlic..ditto

She eats the stems of cauliflower
and broccoli, if I toss them
on the heap.
A bit of banana
if I share
she is so sweet
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 10:28

Tiffany loved mandarins! I remember one trip to Burra from Adelaide, about 200Km. Had four mandarins with me, reckon I ate three and Tiffy ate one. Demi loved crunchy veges, the tops I cut off capsicums or cuccumbers (of course, I had to go look for and dispose of stem and seed head, and clean under the kitchen table frequently, that is where she would eat her stolen food :bgrin and scraps. Not real big on fruit, eat a few grapes if I cut them in half (guess she couldn’t sense they were food while encased in the skins.)

I give my dogs chicken necks, giblets. Have this memory of tiny Tiffy chewing a giblet while another big giblet, hung beside her head, somehow attached to the giblet she was chewing. Bloody giblet near the same size as her head!

Never let any dog become a “fussy eater.” This wasn’t a problem with Demi but once Tiffy didn’t want to eat this chicken wing (chicken necks are actually better for cleaning a dog’s teeth but didn’t know that then.) Wing went back in the fridge, put out again and refused again next day but on the third day she ate the damn thing! Never any fussiness after that!

Beef bones, sometimes some beef mince with egg—red meat has vitamins chicken meat doesn’t. All food raw of course.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 04 Feb 2020, 11:10

HBS Guy wrote:Tiffany loved mandarins! I remember one trip to Burra from Adelaide, about 200Km. Had four mandarins with me, reckon I ate three and Tiffy ate one. Demi loved crunchy veges, the tops I cut off capsicums or cuccumbers (of course, I had to go look for and dispose of stem and seed head, and clean under the kitchen table frequently, that is where she would eat her stolen food :bgrin and scraps. Not real big on fruit, eat a few grapes if I cut them in half (guess she couldn’t sense they were food while encased in the skins.)

I give my dogs chicken necks, giblets. Have this memory of tiny Tiffy chewing a giblet while another big giblet, hung beside her head, somehow attached to the giblet she was chewing. Bloody giblet near the same size as her head!

Never let any dog become a “fussy eater.” This wasn’t a problem with Demi but once Tiffy didn’t want to eat this chicken wing (chicken necks are actually better for cleaning a dog’s teeth but didn’t know that then.) Wing went back in the fridge, put out again and refused again next day but on the third day she ate the damn thing! Never any fussiness after that!

Beef bones, sometimes some beef mince with egg—red meat has vitamins chicken meat doesn’t. All food raw of course.

Dogs should not be given grapes or blueberries or onions. There’s a long list though that no even vets all agree on. Chocolate is the really dangerous one. You can kill a small dog with a bar of dark chocolate.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 04 Feb 2020, 11:10

HBS Guy wrote:Tiffany loved mandarins! I remember one trip to Burra from Adelaide, about 200Km. Had four mandarins with me, reckon I ate three and Tiffy ate one. Demi loved crunchy veges, the tops I cut off capsicums or cuccumbers (of course, I had to go look for and dispose of stem and seed head, and clean under the kitchen table frequently, that is where she would eat her stolen food :bgrin and scraps. Not real big on fruit, eat a few grapes if I cut them in half (guess she couldn’t sense they were food while encased in the skins.)

I give my dogs chicken necks, giblets. Have this memory of tiny Tiffy chewing a giblet while another big giblet, hung beside her head, somehow attached to the giblet she was chewing. Bloody giblet near the same size as her head!

Never let any dog become a “fussy eater.” This wasn’t a problem with Demi but once Tiffy didn’t want to eat this chicken wing (chicken necks are actually better for cleaning a dog’s teeth but didn’t know that then.) Wing went back in the fridge, put out again and refused again next day but on the third day she ate the damn thing! Never any fussiness after that!

Beef bones, sometimes some beef mince with egg—red meat has vitamins chicken meat doesn’t. All food raw of course.

Dogs should not be given grapes or blueberries or onions. There’s a long list though that not even vets all agree on. Chocolate is the really dangerous one. You can kill a small dog with a bar of dark chocolate.
Last edited by karlrand on 04 Feb 2020, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Feb 2020, 11:17

I was extremely careful to keep chocolate from Demi. She DID get hold of and ate a fair number of Arnott’s Mint Slice biscuits but there is bugger all chocolate in the “chocolate” covering of these biscuits (cookies to Seth.) Demi never ate that many grapes. I also fed her the almonds in the packets of “trail mix” I bought to eat on our 12-13Km walks and they were supposed to be verboten too, someone told me. Guess it depends on the dog.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 05 Feb 2020, 03:50

We went for a walk around the block this afternoon.
Finally some cooler weather and a little bit of rain.

She did her usual flat out circle of the house , twice, and was panting in anticipation when I got the lead, had my walking cap on, and headed up the drive..

It was lovely....

Racing grey clouds,
cool blustery winds..
met a new dog..
behind a fence
fortunately
had a natter with a neighbour
got home before the next shower
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Feb 2020, 09:05

Sounds divine Pinky! One rainy day I took Demi for a walk—had looked at the radar on the BoM site and timed it just right!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Feb 2020, 09:09

Even chihuahuas love walking! I took Tiffy twice for the walk from the Goolwa Barrages to the beach and then to the Murray mouth. A goodish distance but a lousy walk—had to keep dog on the lead (did that walk once with Demi too) because of idiots driving SUVs to the Murray mouth or fishing spots.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 55097
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 05 Feb 2020, 11:18

Duplicate post removed - - - how do I keep doing this ? I know - - senility!
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby Aussie » 05 Feb 2020, 11:51

karlrand wrote:Duplicate post removed - - - how do I keep doing this ? I know - - senility!


*Grabs note book....adds senile right beside 'neurotic.'*

:bgrin
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 9176
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 05 Feb 2020, 13:26

Aussie wrote:
karlrand wrote:Duplicate post removed - - - how do I keep doing this ? I know - - senility!


*Grabs note book....adds senile right beside 'neurotic.'*

:bgrin


FLattery will get you nowhere.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 01:19

Yesterday arvo/eve we went for a walk around the block.
The initial wound has healed.

She is upbeat. But sleeps a lot.

Inbetween the rain showers,
it was nice and cool.

ALL the local animals that usually greet us when we walk were there, The 2 Collies a couple of props along, then the German Shepherd who joyously barks at us every time we pass..., to the horses who see me..and acknowledge me usually. Despite the 3 dogs on that place that come to the fence and bark. :bgrin then up the hill and around and down past the other local critters..
depends on the time of day.. they all know me. Even the birds.. the Magpies. the Spur-Winged Lapwings, ( which everyone in this area incorrectly calls Plovers) .

Balm for the soul.
sleeping is good for you
User avatar
pinkeye
Warthog
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 20:59
spamone: Animal

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 10 Feb 2020, 06:19

pinkeye wrote:Yesterday arvo/eve we went for a walk around the block.
The initial wound has healed.

She is upbeat. But sleeps a lot.

Inbetween the rain showers,
it was nice and cool.

ALL the local animals that usually greet us when we walk were there, The 2 Collies a couple of props along, then the German Shepherd who joyously barks at us every time we pass..., to the horses who see me..and acknowledge me usually. Despite the 3 dogs on that place that come to the fence and bark. :bgrin then up the hill and around and down past the other local critters..
depends on the time of day.. they all know me. Even the birds.. the Magpies. the Spur-Winged Lapwings, ( which everyone in this area incorrectly calls Plovers) .

Balm for the soul.

Those Spur-Winged Lapwings everyone incorrectly calls Plovers, are they the species who during their mating season will happily dive bomb dogs, humans etc?
If so it’s one bird I’m not fond of. Don’t even like the screeching noise they make.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 06 Jul 2019, 16:44
spamone: Animal

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests