What makes the best dog?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby karlrand » 25 Jan 2020, 14:46

HBS Guy wrote:Even English staffies, twice as heavy as Demi that Mum could just cope with in her lap (the Maltese coming through? She was a very loving dog to us but not to strangers—In Members is a thread “Dog bites man” well worth reading because DO NOT APPROACH STRANGE DOGS AND TRY TO PET THEM! We (me and Demi) had quite a little adventure that day, fortunately my local knowledge got us (me and Demi) out of it OK.

I don’t think that guy tried to pet Demi, BTW, a sly kick as he went past maybe. Too bad, arsehole, got bit!

Dog’s can surprise you. My two were never protective of my car until one day, according to the service station bloke, somebody opened the back hatch.
The dogs went hysterical chasing the fool away. Ever since if anyone goes near the car they foam at the mouth and bark like savages. Unless somebody shot those two there’s no way my car will ever get stolen.
Groupthink will destroy us all.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Jan 2020, 14:52

I made (type “make” ah memories) sure Demi was off the harness tied to the seat belt and off the lead if I had to leave her in the car for a while: if some idiot came to the car I did not want Demi hanging herself on her lead etc—too easy to get that caught around gear lever or handbrake. She was in a harness attached to a seat belt any time we hit the highway
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jan 2020, 23:45

karlrand wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:September Melb—DPO crossing was a bit rough and I had not arranged the bedding as well as I could and when I went to get her out of the kennel on the ferry instead of standing there calmly taking in what was happening she was licking her nose at the speed of lightning. I got her out of the kennel and as I started to carry her to the car she whined. Made me feel guilty as hell :oops as I should have done better with the bedding but she settled down soon enough and showed no concern on me putting her back in a kennel when returning to Melbourne.

Must get some dog seasick tablets.

Why not fly her timing it so she arrives very soon after you get off the ship? You need to negotiate with the pet transport company though to minimise the amount of time she’ll spend at their mainland depot waiting to be flown out.

No way would I ever transport a dog by plane. They too often die from heat and neglect. :sad

Oh so an update on my sweetheart...

I have decided to see how things go. The sore/lesion is seeming to improve, and there's no significant licking of that area...
the other possible sites seem dormant..., and she has regained a bit of her joie de vive .. but definitely not herself.

She is in no apparent pain, .. and I decided ... that it was pretty obvious.

I COULD get her chopped up, in several places, to be conscientious, then nurse her for some months. with a necessary Elizabethan collar and restriction to her movements, whilst those surgeries heal. The one on her flank, which is the one I first noticed would be difficult for the stitches. But it does seem to be healing over The Vet..? No guarantees.. and, frankly I've been down this track before, and I think it's too late for intervention of that sort, with any hope of any real success, IF it is what it most likely is. I'd rather we both made the most of the rest of it all.

So sure, it has been a tussle for me.. umm but

we will let nature take it's course.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 27 Jan 2020, 00:26

HBS Guy wrote:I made (type “make” ah memories) sure Demi was off the harness tied to the seat belt and off the lead if I had to leave her in the car for a while: if some idiot came to the car I did not want Demi hanging herself on her lead etc—too easy to get that caught around gear lever or handbrake. She was in a harness attached to a seat belt any time we hit the highway

These days you do that at your own peril. People are all over you if you have a dog unattended in a car. YOU can be fined thousands of $ and lose the DOG, if the Police believe you have done so.

IF I leave my dog in the car it is only for 5 mins max... and you know I've been fronted twice by strangers, enraged almost.. well at least censorious, that I had left dog in the car.
The first it was at a Woolies, altho I was making a dr appt nearby, and she wore a Woolies uniform, though she didn't look familiar to me.
I pointed out it wasn't locked, the car was in the shade, and the windows were open on the best breeze side. Also I was just making an appt and it was less than 5 mins, but she and her boyfriend looked very unhappy. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE A DOG UNATTENDED...blah blah.... you could lose your dog, and be fined.$1000s.......etc..

Dog was fine.. I said, well thank you for your advice and concern......those windows over there are open, the car isn't locked and it's all good for her.

The thing is, people can call the Police and give your Rego No. and cause you trouble....
So
I said again
But thank you for your concern.

They walked away.

The second time.... It was a hot day but dog loves to come for a quick drive in the air-conditioned car,, and .. I parked and was in and out in less than 4 minutes... I'd left the car running with air-con on, and it was not locked...

.. had a word of G'Day with some folk I Knew in passing , who said you were quick,, I believe it was Christmas Eve.. when , 5 seconds later I was back at my car, there was a rather large man looking at me quite directly, so I said YES.. HE said I's so sorry but you know you're not allowed to leave your dog in the car, he said I see the car is air-con running and not locked BUT he said these days you can be in big trouble, and lose your Dog... it is cruelty to animals, a criminal charge..
He said we always carried our dog, always legally harnessed ( check it out HBS GUY ) .. but my wife was approached by Police and reprimanded, warned, when she'd briefly left the vehicle to collect some bottles../ anyway, they were offering advice and I listened to him, but it made me sad. :sad

Both of these occurred within the last two months, altho I have been warned before.by friends.

. There is NO WAY I'd let my dog suffer, locked in a closed car. :mad

BUT I haven't been having her with me as much...now I leave the car running, air-con on windows partially open , right next to the Newsagent, where I rush in, grab a paper, and some baccy, and rush out again. SIGH.

I agree with any higher levels of punishment, for animal cruelty.....but crikey, me and my dog aren't happy.
It is apparently a real risk.
It is about perceptions.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jan 2020, 03:06

The dog always had water and the car in deep shad in summer. I too have had a letter under my wiper “How dare I leave my dog blah blah blah—5 minutes, not that hot and she had water, windows open 5mm etc. Sanctimonious arsehole!

Cars can get warm, that CO2 meter I bought and used in April had a temperature sensor: on a 15°C day the car interior got to 25°C.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 28 Jan 2020, 00:07

That reminds me of another day, and another dog. We were in the Underground carpark on a hot day.
I determined it was OK to spend shopping time.. the car was unlocked etc etc....

When I got back to the car, I noticed a mother and child throwing me dirty looks... I also found a 'How dare you leave this beautiful dog.... '. message on my windscreen.. I noticed them in their car glaring at me.
I let my big boy out, gave him water, which he ignored, while he had a good sniff around. He had a pee, ignored the offered water and hopped back in the car.

HE was a 60 kg rotty/mastiff/bandog trained protection dog. He saved me once from a casual predator, and he had a good life. Sadly he got testicular cancer, and although I tried, through surgery, including castration.. and he lived for a while, after he recovered from the surgery, BUT not for long. :sad

My girl is now 8 yrs old.. and I just cannot justify the process of surgical intervention, at this point.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jan 2020, 14:40

Big dogs don’t tend to live as long as small dogs so yeah, let her live a happy life for however long that may be.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 28 Jan 2020, 19:01

HBS Guy wrote:Big dogs don’t tend to live as long as small dogs so yeah, let her live a happy life for however long that may be.

As a general rule that’s true but there are exheptions. Some smaller breads with higher ‘normal’ body temperatures tend to live as long. Strains bred to work in heat with less need for water intake are in this group too.
I’ve been told by several vets my Australian Bulldog/Smithfield cross will have a shorter lifespan than most dogs her size. Her normal temperature is 3 degs above most other breads. In summer when she insists on sleeping on my bed it’s like having an unwanted hot water bottle.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 29 Jan 2020, 00:58

karlrand wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Big dogs don’t tend to live as long as small dogs so yeah, let her live a happy life for however long that may be.

As a general rule that’s true but there are exheptions. Some smaller breads with higher ‘normal’ body temperatures tend to live as long. Strains bred to work in heat with less need for water intake are in this group too.
I’ve been told by several vets my Australian Bulldog/Smithfield cross will have a shorter lifespan than most dogs her size. Her normal temperature is 3 degs above most other breads. In summer when she insists on sleeping on my bed it’s like having an unwanted hot water bottle.

So, thanks for those words.

She's a tall lean dark brindle, with beautiful tiger stripes, long legs, long toes, long body, deep chest floppy ears, big smile... Going grey really fast, Her eyelashes are now grey against her dark skin and eyes. .. Supposed to be a wolfhound/mastiff cross..probably bred to be a pig dog... . a real sweetheart.
Except she kills any lizard or snake she can get her jaws on. She took on a goanna longer and bigger than her, not that long ago.
Goanna is long time old resident, but got caught on the wrong side of the fence. It was a draw.... thank goodness.... both lived to see another day. :bgrin

The lesion is continuing to close , she isn't licking it , AND ……. and she did one of her mad 20 kph circuits of the house. She has worn a track in the ground, and she runs like the wind, leaning into those corners at top speed, so my yard isn't very smooth... :bgrin

She is feeling a bit better, .... I'm glad to see her do that.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 29 Jan 2020, 01:00

And of course... the answer to the question is....?

The best owner.

( Oh and that's NOT me)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby karlrand » 29 Jan 2020, 06:50

pinkeye wrote:
karlrand wrote:

She's a tall lean dark brindle, with beautiful tiger stripes, long legs, long toes, long body, deep chest floppy ears, big smile... Going grey really fast, Her eyelashes are now grey against her dark skin and eyes. .. Supposed to be a wolfhound/mastiff cross..probably bred to be a pig dog... . a real sweetheart.
Except she kills any lizard or snake she can get her jaws on. She took on a goanna longer and bigger than her, not that long ago.
Goanna is long time old resident, but got caught on the wrong side of the fence. It was a draw.... thank goodness.... both lived to see another day. :bgrin

The lesion is continuing to close , she isn't licking it , AND ……. and she did one of her mad 20 kph circuits of the house. She has worn a track in the ground, and she runs like the wind, leaning into those corners at top speed, so my yard isn't very smooth... :bgrin

That’s a big goanna ! If the wolfhound part is Irish wolfhound I’d have my doubts as the Irish Wolfhounds I’ve looked after all stank, even a day after giving them a bath. If a Russian Wolfhound (Borzoi) that would be a very interesting combination. My experience with a Russian Wolfhound is they have a powerful hunting instinct which can be hard to control.Fabulous indoor dogs though and very smart. Three Mastiffs belonging to a neighour drove me insane escaping frequently and playing with the triffic on the highway. After having to rescue one of them hit by a car I lost my temper with the owner who was totally irrisponsible.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Jan 2020, 08:23

Great to read!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jan 2020, 00:29

karlrand wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
karlrand wrote:

That’s a big goanna ! If the wolfhound part is Irish wolfhound I’d have my doubts as the Irish Wolfhounds I’ve looked after all stank, even a day after giving them a bath.

WELL YEAH, she does smell .. very doggy.

I do not wash her. At all. She will not come near a hose, or water source, except to paddle in the creek, looking for prey. ...

I clean any necessaries with damp towels,

I'll clean her ears if nec, and use cool damp towels on her gently, but she cannot abide hoses. water baths.. etc..

She has had one DOGWASH visit... once was enough...she struggled mightily.. so now she just smells of dog. You get used to it. I switch out her bedding regularly, and keep her flea/worm/tick free. Her coat is very short, so a nice brush gets appreciated.

But NO she doesn't get baths at all. So many modern people think a dog needs a good bath ,, some once a week FFS.!!
Poor dogs.
Totally human-driven.

Even once a year is not necessary for the DOG.

It is all about THE OWNER,
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby karlrand » 30 Jan 2020, 08:07

pinkeye wrote:
karlrand wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
karlrand wrote:

That’s a big goanna ! If the wolfhound part is Irish wolfhound I’d have my doubts as the Irish Wolfhounds I’ve looked after all stank, even a day after giving them a bath.

I do not wash her. At all. She will not come near a hose, or water source, except to paddle in the creek, looking for prey. ...

I'll clean her ears if nec, and use cool damp towels on her gently, but she cannot abide hoses. water baths.. etc..

She has had one DOGWASH visit... once was enough...she struggled mightily.. so now she just smells of dog. You get used to it. I switch out her bedding regularly, and keep her flea/worm/tick free. Her coat is very short, so a nice brush gets appreciated.

But NO she doesn't get baths at all. So many modern people think a dog needs a good bath ,, some once a week FFS.!!
Poor dogs.
Totally human-driven.

I have no problem at all with normal doggy smells despite some visitors telling my my house stinks of dog.
I only ever bath my dogs if they either roll in something disgusting like a dead fish or if they roll in mud.
They don’t like it but they put up with it and don’t struggle.
Irish Wolf Hounds however are another thing altogether. The smell in my experience is way beyond a normal dog smell.
I think the obsession with bathing dogs often is due to wanting their coat to shine. If their diet is well managed all they need
for the coat to shine then is the odd brushing. I’ve found kelp powder and fish oil daily really brings out the shine. Some
dog owners who show their pooches feed them on nothing but possum meat for two weeks prior to the event. Canine
mythology also claims possum meat is good for managing arthritis in older dogs.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Jan 2020, 08:13

Demi got two baths a year. Come back to the house after a few hours with Demi locked inside and the lounge did smell a bit doggy, bit of ventilation got rid of that. I could never get the front of her bottom jaw clean, she spent too much of her time searching for prey the hair there just ingrained dirt. Oh well, what you get with a terrier.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 01 Feb 2020, 00:52

karlrand wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
karlrand wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
karlrand wrote:

Poor dogs.
Totally human-driven.

I have no problem at all with normal doggy smells despite some visitors telling my my house stinks of dog.
I only ever bath my dogs if they either roll in something disgusting like a dead fish or if they roll in mud.
They don’t like it but they put up with it and don’t struggle.
Irish Wolf Hounds however are another thing altogether. The smell in my experience is way beyond a normal dog smell.
I think the obsession with bathing dogs often is due to wanting their coat to shine. If their diet is well managed all they need
for the coat to shine then is the odd brushing. I’ve found kelp powder and fish oil daily really brings out the shine. Some
dog owners who show their pooches feed them on nothing but possum meat for two weeks prior to the event. Canine
mythology also claims possum meat is good for managing arthritis in older dogs.

TRUE..? Possum meat..? u must be a kiwi. :bgrin :thumb

The lesion/sore is continuing close, and she has perked up a bit. I might take her for a walk when it is cooler.
Crikey. ..
I burned the ball of my foot just after NY and I'm only now confident I can do the walk. Its not long .. Exactly 1klm around the block.. door to door, BUT it has slopes , and flats, and I'll gauge how she is going. She misses her walks, I know that :bgrin
But.. weather etc should be considered.

Well, she does seem to ignore the possums.. when they make their call, she ignores it... But I should think if she came face to face, she'd not know what to do. She pays attention to the bird calls.. some definitely = goanna or python or eagle ….
though
She seems focused on snakes and lizards, oh and birds of course. Have a cheeky lot of Butcherbirds, that are right on the spot when she gets a bone.
Going to be v hot here tomorrow and the next few days... as I'm sure you are all aware.

Take care.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 06:19

Did I say foosh and choops?
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Feb 2020, 08:01

Still no suitable puppy in the pound, just American Staffordshire bull terriers—too heavy, could cause Mum to fall just jumping up to greet her. Still want a bigger dog just for a change but can wait until I am settled in Tassie.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 08:16

HBS Guy wrote:Still no suitable puppy in the pound, just American Staffordshire bull terriers—too heavy, could cause Mum to fall just jumping up to greet her. Still want a bigger dog just for a change but can wait until I am settled in Tassie.

A rescue greyhound?
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 01 Feb 2020, 11:37

karlrand wrote:If their diet is well managed all they need
for the coat to shine then is the odd brushing. I’ve found kelp powder and fish oil daily really brings out the shine

I used to give my dog a hard boiled egg and a slice of cheese every day with his meal ... he was only short haired (Doberman) so didn't need a lot of brushing. His coat always shone because of it.

Although there was a smelly downside to feeding him the eggs :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 11:47

johnsmith wrote:
for the coat to shine then is the odd brushing. I’ve found kelp powder and fish oil daily really brings out the shine

I used to give my dog a hard boiled egg and a slice of cheese every day with his meal ... he was only short haired (Doberman) so didn't need a lot of brushing. His coat always shone because of it.

There are a lot of folk myths out there about canine diets. Several vets have told me eggs won’t do dogs any real harm but they can’t digest the whites.
As to smelly ‘down sides’ I never give my dogs lamb bones. YUK !
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 11:49

karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

There are a lot of folk myths out there about canine diets. Several vets have told me eggs won’t do dogs any real harm but they can’t digest the whites.
There are though a few things you should never give dogs; grapes, blueberries, onion and chocolate. The last can actually kill a small dog.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 01 Feb 2020, 12:01

karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i wasn't going to separate the eggs for him. :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Feb 2020, 12:47

My dainty little chihuahua Tiffany—boy did she drop some fruity ones! Demi rarely farted and it was perfume compared to a Tiffy bomb :OMG
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby karlrand » 01 Feb 2020, 12:55

johnsmith wrote:
karlrand wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

i wasn't going to separate the eggs for him. :roll :roll

Well, having been a chef at one stage it’s comes easy.
Besides, just think of all those whites you’d have left over for Pavs.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Sand Pit