What makes the best dog?

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: What makes the best dog?

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2020, 22:56

they are the one's. Very protective of their nests and chicks. I've seen them nesting in roundabouts...
plucky wee birds.. but nasty spikes on their Hmm ? elbows.?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby Aussie » 11 Feb 2020, 09:26

Qld plovers have their nests on the ground. They are more prone to running at you squawking, "Piss off."
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby karlrand » 11 Feb 2020, 10:16

Aussie wrote:Qld plovers have their nests on the ground. They are more prone to running at you squawking, "Piss off."

Reminds me of some geriatric hippies living on the Atherton Tablelands I know.
karlrand
Pitbull terrier

Postby pinkeye » 11 Feb 2020, 21:54

No, they're real swoopers here.
They especially take on dogs... but all the birds around here know me and my dog.. never been swooped by any of the wild birds, although the odd Noisy Miner makes a fuss now and then.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby margie » 15 Feb 2020, 07:59

the best dog is one that lives
margie
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Feb 2020, 15:57

True, but even memories of a loved dog are nice:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2020, 22:02

what a sweetheart.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 15 Feb 2020, 22:03

margie wrote:the best dog is one that lives

ahh ,, we are doomed to say goodbye to many of our friends, over the years.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Feb 2020, 05:54

pinkeye wrote:what a sweetheart.

Notice the dirty brown hairs on her lower jaw? Been doing her favorite thing, trying to smell any small animals so she can drive them out of cover and kill them. Part of being a terrier.

To us tho, a sweetheart.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2020, 00:06

My big girl is doing ok+.

Lacks stamina, but is eating well, and barking enthusiastically at supposed interlopers. :)

The sore has completely healed, and she seems as interested in cleaning her paws, as licking that spot. SIGH.

I suspect she is experiencing pain in her hindquarters tho..altho she seems free in her movement.

I imagine those of you who have dogs know how much they hate marsh/horse flies. Bloodsucking nasty things.

I have had the occasional bitey fly here over recent weeks.. but not too many.

My big girl seems to be feeling the bites of non-existent flies. Once or twice there was a fly, but most of the time I can see no obvious cause for her to be exhibiting this behaviour.
I will observe with care... as long as she grins and wants to join in, it's ok.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Feb 2020, 08:59

Try some fish oil. Demi, according to the vet, had arthritis—she did have a stiff walk, obviously back legs sore. Put her on fish oil tablets—no more sore back legs. The fish oil was also recommended (another time) for her grass allergy—plant proteins going through her skin and causing severe itching. Vet sold me some tiny cortisone tablets, told me to finish the course and use fish oil tablets (I used 2/3 the tablets, the other third the next summer—no probs after that apart from she drooled when walking on grass for a while. I eventually stopped the fish oil tablets for her, no longer needed.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 17 Feb 2020, 20:48

thanks for the info..
just.. it isn't arthritis....
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Feb 2020, 06:10

Still won’t hurt to give her a fish oil tablet or two a day. I take 5 a day for arthritis, does reduce the inflammation.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 19 Feb 2020, 23:45

Thanks for your concern , it is most welcome to know I am speaking to people who care.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2020, 09:27

I still miss Demi heaps! A character, a dog you could not trust for a minute when food was around, an escape artist—but always back in ten minutes, she knew where she got fed! Every evening she would come up for a “lovy dovy” wanting to be petted and made a fuss of for a few minutes. Very occasionally she would sit in my lap—too heavy for a lapdog really. Reliable disposer of bacon rinds, fish skins, capsicum/cucumber/carrot tops etc.

Then the time I woke up to see her snarling at me—must have discommoded her majesty during the waking up, then to see her quivering in every inch of her body because I had picked up a book to defend my face: obviously where she was born the people there hit her often and with books, rolled up magazines or whatever. She learned we did not hit dogs, perfect trust. I was disgusted at my species tho. Yes, puppies poop and pee, so train them to go in a spot in the garden.

The way dogs can pick up emotion in voices! The odd wet bit of carpet “Demi” I’d call but she must have picked up some undertones and stayed away. I am sure the previous owners did the “rub the dog’s nose in its mess” more than once. All I wanted to do was show her where she had peed and take her outside: ha, world war three ensued!

Good ratter tho her rather short legs meant some escaped for a while :rofl :rofl :rofl

She was outside, totally not interested in me coming and going through the back gate with sand for a path I was making then I opened the gate one more time‚—and she was running through it at her maximum speed—timing!

So yeah, I stand in the kitchen trimming rinds from strips of pancetta and in happier times I only had to look at Madame where she was sitting under the table in the dinette and she would get up and head for her food bowl. Memories. I have walked twice in the recent week or two to the local Westfield—odd to walk without a dog! Search in Members for a tale of high adventure “Dog bites man” that happened one time at that Westfield. As I said, she came from a home where she was physically abused, she trusted and loved us but strangers she was always wary with: the guy she bit must have done something to annoy or frighten Demi, didn’t take much. Never go to pet a dog, especially one tied up unless the owner is there and says it is OK. The man in the title must have done something to upset Demi and not by trying to pet her! In return, he kicked her very hard in her stomach, the hero,

Oh yeah, Taygen came and visited with her baby daughter and Demi was fascinated by this strange human who was so small, couldn’t speak or move under her own steam! Ha, crawled all around the baby, really puzzled. Hilarious to see.

Would love another dog, a puppy. Will have to visit the pound in person I think, that is how we got Demi.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Sand Pit