"Smart" Phones

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

"Smart" Phones

Postby greggerypeccary » 25 Jun 2019, 15:36

I've always been a big Jack White fan.

Love his take on mobile phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAiUuhi_4U
greggerypeccary
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Re: "Smart" Phones

Postby Texan » 26 Jun 2019, 00:01

I look forward to when I am off pager. I can ditch my phone. Otherwise, I’m tied to it 24/8. I can’t be productive without it in my job. I use it for email, texts, tech support(giving and receiving), weather radar, navigation, calculator, flashlight, and keeping up with my family. I don’t do social media and I don’t play candy crush or any of that other nonsense. I’d love to ditch my phone, but life won’t let me.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Postby pinkeye » 26 Jun 2019, 01:13

when you retire..: )
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 26 Jun 2019, 05:52

Texan wrote: I don’t do social media and I don’t play candy crush or any of that other nonsense.

Ditto.

And I don't take it out at restaurants, and I certainly don't take pictures of every meal and cup of coffee I have and post it on the 'net.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Jun 2019, 08:37

I took a time lapse video of Mum eating at a restaurant near mothra. Was fucking funny, sent it to my sister and nieces, all thought it hilarious.

Sometimes I look here on the phone while waiting for food.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 27 Jun 2019, 00:04

?? Que ??

you mean .. gasp.. you don't cook all the time..??
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 27 Jun 2019, 00:12

I don't think my phone is smart.
I think it is a pain in the arse.
I often switch it off..

and , altho I do have it with me when I drive, (if I remember) I do not take it with me where ever I go. I walk the dog.. don't have it. I go shopping,? leave it in the car.

I want to choose when I communicate with people. So I often ignore it. BUT there is no denying that living in this tech world, connection, even in it's poorest form, is necessary. My current ph is a $39 job from Woolies. Has lasted quite well, BUT I HATE THE FUCKING THING. I'd like one with a better camera.. as I have so much beauty surrounding me.. but I can't afford a good camera, or a good phone. Very annoying indeed.

Unfortunately, since the NBN , I NEED to use it because my home line is now useless for what is used to be EXCELLENT FOR, which was the ability to PHONE OUT even if the power supply was down. NOW...??? No power.. No phone.
How backward is THAT.! !! !!

My phone especially annoys me when I am driving. I ignore it if it goes off.. .. but gee it is aggravating.

I am retired. :thumb
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Jun 2019, 07:32

yup mobile phones made us all into doctors, available 24 hours a day... or else
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Jun 2019, 09:37

Yes, I am glad I am not working anymore contactable by my boss 24/7.

I do keep the phone with me: I have no landline, am thinking of getting one now that new copper (Copper! ) is running down our street so that Mum can use one if needed when I am not home (out shopping etc.) Will enquire when I visit the local Westfield Monday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 14:38

My phone sits at home, or in the car, rarely carry it anywhere and unlike everyone else have full control and compatibility over my computers ph and laptop. Never get spam, cant be tracked and don't know what an advert is. But can access anything on the web and make out I'm somewhere else, which works great when travelling only get charged at the place I'm in rates.

How do I do this, simple all out phones run ubuntu touch, stable faultless, extremely secure and not apple, windows or android.

https://ubports.com/
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Miranda » 27 Jun 2019, 16:39

I got lost today. Perfectly normal, given I have lost all sense of direction, but my Apple got me back to my hotel. Being disabled in this 4G world, means I am more independent and I value the freedom that affords.
Miranda
Pitbull terrier

Postby Dax » 27 Jun 2019, 16:53

Miranda wrote:I got lost today. Perfectly normal, given I have lost all sense of direction, but my Apple got me back to my hotel. Being disabled in this 4G world, means I am more independent and I value the freedom that affords.

That's very true, phones have given us the ability to be in touch from any where to everywhere. Having friends worldwide, means I can chat or have a text conversation wit the no matter where they or I am.

My first mobile phone was almost the size of a brick, carried it around in a bag over my shoulder and it only worked in a couple of places to begin with. My first small ph was a GMS model, which was the best ph system they had, even today GSM outstrips every thing for range. Clarity and connection speeds have improved today, you get camera and can make you a bit safer at times.
Dax
Cheetah

Return to Sand Pit