Early pre-summer heat wave fries USA

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Early pre-summer heat wave fries USA

Postby Squire » 15 Jun 2019, 22:57

This is very early for a heat wave of this intensity. Official dates of Summer in USA are June 21 to September 23.

Note also how high the nighttime temperatures are.

AGW is starting to punish the USA, one of the biggest per capita CO2 polluters.

It has always astonished me that people in the USA are so blase about global warming when some places in the USA experience 16+ hours of daylight. The short night time also prevents all the built-up daytime heat from being transmitted back into space compared to those tropical regions which have a more balanced day/night cycle.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/11/heat-wave-western-us-bakes-temperatures-soar-120-degrees/1419639001/

120 degrees in the shade?! Record-breaking, 'dangerous' heat wave bakes western U.S.
Doyle Rice, USA TODAY Published 1:07 p.m. ET June 11, 2019 | Updated 8:40 p.m. ET June 11, 2019

Folks in the western U.S. are sweltering under an unusually intense June heat wave, with temperatures soaring to near-record highs from Oregon to Arizona.

Heat warnings and/or advisories were in effect Tuesday for a number of major metro areas in the West, including Las Vegas, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento and San Francisco.

In Palm Springs, California, where highs could hit 114 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday, officials warned the high temperatures could cause heat exhaustion, heat cramps or heat stroke.

Start the day smarter: Get USA TODAY's Daily Briefing in your inbox

In Las Vegas, shelters and temporary cooling stations were open during daytime hours because of that city's excessive heat warning. Highs there could hit 105 each of the next three days.
Squire
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Re: Early pre-summer heat wave fries USA

Postby Squire » 16 Jun 2019, 08:56

A huge number of wildfires are occurring in the USA. This has been starting earlier and earlier each year as global warming continues.

https://time.com/5604644/california-wildfires-heat-wave/

During Record-Breaking Heat Wave, California Sees Nearly 240 Wildfires Within a Week

BY JASMINE AGUILERA

Less than a year after the Camp Fire became the deadliest blaze in state history, California is once against facing a spate of wildfires that threaten its residents and land.

There have been nearly 240 wildfires in California over the past week, causing one evacuation and two power shut-offs while fire fighters and utility companies attempt to prevent another catastrophe. Since the start of the year, 1,349 wildfires in the state have burned 12,247 acres of land, according to California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, also known as CalFire. Of those fires, 178 have been on federal land. There have been 236 new wildfires fires in the past week alone.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby Texan » 16 Jun 2019, 10:49

Drought and wet periods are cyclical in the Southwestern parts of the US. Texas was in a drought 2 years ago. West Texas towns were having to install emergency pipelines to nearby towns because their water supply was running dry. The water in Big Spring, TX looked nasty from the faucets. I skipped the shower for 1 day and drank bottled water. For 2 years, we have been deluged with rain. Our lakes are completely full and nobody needs to water their yards. Texas cycles last about 7 years dry/7 years wet. California will get their rain eventually. Their problem is that they are so environmentalist, that they don't clear out dead brush in the forest and keep people out of the forests to protect the animals. What good is a forest if we can't enjoy it? When it rains, they get mud slides and they have several fault lines running through the state. Between the leftists and the natural disasters, California doesn't stand a chance. Arizona and much of Nevada are in the desert and you have to expect it to be HOT and sunny.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 21 Jun 2019, 11:18

We saw a high of 20C earlier this week during a thunder storm resulting from a cold front. The temp is 38C and very humid the last couple of days. Texas weather - If you don't like it, wait 10 minutes.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Squire » 21 Jun 2019, 13:15

Texan wrote:We saw a high of 20C earlier this week during a thunder storm resulting from a cold front. The temp is 38C and very humid the last couple of days. Texas weather - If you don't like it, wait 10 minutes.

Ten minutes waist-deep in floodwater?

I lived in Houston for 3+ years. The week I arrived in September 2008 there was a hurricane and the whole place shut down for a week. Couldn't even buy food. Luckily I was staying at the Holiday Inn which hired a large transportable generator to keep the hotel going.
Squire
mountain lion

Postby Texan » 30 Jun 2019, 11:06

Houston is situated in a big bowl at sea level. They flood quickly and it's city wide most of the time. Our flooding is more local and doesn't last as long in DFW. We are 500 feet above see level. 150 m?

They keep forecasting Summer heat and we keep getting thunderstorms to cool things off. I just grilled steaks on my covered patio in a wild thunderstorm. It came from nowhere.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby Miranda » 30 Jun 2019, 13:37

Lordy, lord! Another US thread. Has anyone heard that Europe is going the same thing? France had the hottest day on record reaching 115 Fahrenheit. Schools have been closed ect...
Miranda
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 30 Jun 2019, 15:02

Miranda wrote:Lordy, lord! Another US thread.

I doubt our American members care to much about Galdys Berejiklian, Annastacia Palaszczuk, Scomo or Albo., let alone know who they are.

Posting in threads about the USA is not compulsory.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 30 Jun 2019, 22:23

that's from nowhere to nowhere.

YES.. they are actually getting temperatures in Germany and France, AND NO DOUBT, most other European nation, in excess of 42.C Almost like here.!!

WOW.. it's happening fast, people. OUR coming SUMMER will be HOT HOT HOT.. And dry.

The future is coming on. ( Guerillas)
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Texan » 01 Jul 2019, 05:22

Miranda wrote:Lordy, lord! Another US thread. Has anyone heard that Europe is going the same thing? France had the hottest day on record reaching 115 Fahrenheit. Schools have been closed ect...

Oh look! Miranda is posting in another thread about America. I don’t think Americans are starting these threads. Enjoy yourself.
Texan
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Jul 2019, 09:39

France got to over 45°C.

Apparently one weather station is next to a road so the 45°C is not real. Got to wonder if that was a weather station or an air quality station (drongoes don’t realise there are different kinds of stations) and even if it was a weather station it did set a new record so the location is irrelevant. That and the fact all of France and all of Germany and several other European countries are all blazing hot—and precious few air conditioners!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Miranda » 01 Jul 2019, 15:13

Texan wrote:
Miranda wrote:Lordy, lord! Another US thread. Has anyone heard that Europe is going the same thing? France had the hottest day on record reaching 115 Fahrenheit. Schools have been closed ect...

Oh look! Miranda is posting in another thread about America. I don’t think Americans are starting these threads. Enjoy yourself.

LOL I’ll pay that one.

I have nothing against America by the way, I just don’t need to be saturated by it. I read the online news and America dominates the topics. So much is happening in the world beyond your fair shores and I’d like to hear about that too.
Miranda
Pitbull terrier

Return to Sand Pit