repairs to solar hot water

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: repairs to solar hot water

Postby Sprintcyclist » 30 May 2019, 23:24

johnsmith wrote:Anyone know if it'a worth an extra $800 - $1000 for micro inverters over string inverters for solar systems? The guy trying to up sell claims they are, but I tend to not believe claims by salesmen

I don't know what micro inverters are, but i doubt it.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby DonDeeHippy » 31 May 2019, 09:22

johnsmith wrote:Anyone know if it'a worth an extra $800 - $1000 for micro inverters over string inverters for solar systems? The guy trying to up sell claims they are, but I tend to not believe claims by salesmen

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/inverters/micro/
seems to be a good explanation of the difference, my friend is a electrical engineer and he says that the macro's are a good idea with shading and mismatch of panels....
I guess the question is will the micro produce $80 -$100 more electricity every year..... Will your panels get any shade on them during good sunlight hours 9am to 3pm ,then it will make a difference. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 31 May 2019, 09:36

“mismatch of panels” does that mean the macros are the “conditioners” I read about that allow a mismatch of panel types? I buy “Owner Builder” most months but tend to skim rather than read in depth at this stage—concentrating on the back part of my block as you have read in wearying length here :roll :bgrin

The “orchard” tho has been decided pretty much so will start thinking in detail about the house—and solar and wind plus storage etc—soon.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 31 May 2019, 09:47

HBS Guy wrote:“mismatch of panels” does that mean the macros are the “conditioners” I read about that allow a mismatch of panel types? I buy “Owner Builder” most months but tend to skim rather than read in depth at this stage—concentrating on the back part of my block as you have read in wearying length here :roll :bgrin

The “orchard” tho has been decided pretty much so will start thinking in detail about the house—and solar and wind plus storage etc—soon.

it's more that every panels will vary a little bit so the separate inverters get the best out of every panel, id say you could use different panels as well as long as the inverters where compatible...
When I got my solar panels id never even heard of micro inverters, but I couldn't imagine it effecting mine much as I have no tree's around my house as you can see in my profile pic :):purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Sprintcyclist » 31 May 2019, 12:12

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:“mismatch of panels” does that mean the macros are the “conditioners” I read about that allow a mismatch of panel types? I buy “Owner Builder” most months but tend to skim rather than read in depth at this stage—concentrating on the back part of my block as you have read in wearying length here :roll :bgrin

it's more that every panels will vary a little bit so the separate inverters get the best out of every panel, id say you could use different panels as well as long as the inverters where compatible...
When I got my solar panels id never even heard of micro inverters, but I couldn't imagine it effecting mine much as I have no tree's around my house as you can see in my profile pic :):purple

Thanks, had not heard of them before.

So does every solar panel and micro inverter operate individually ?
ie, if one solar panel/inverter fails do the others still provide power?
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 31 May 2019, 14:52

To explain the difference in simple term the way it was explained to me.

Traditional panels work as 'string' panels.

If one panel gets any shading on it, that might reduce the output of that panel by for example 50%. If that panel is on a string, all the panels on that string reduce output to 50%.

With a micro inverter, every panel is independent, so if one panel reduces output to 50% due to shading, dirt etc, none of the others are affected.

HBS Guy wrote:“mismatch of panels” does that mean the macros are the “conditioners” I read about that allow a mismatch of panel types?

I don't know how a mix of panels affects it but I don't see why given that they each work independently of the others, a mix match of panels wouldn't work with micro inverters

DonDeeHippy wrote:Will your panels get any shade on them during good sunlight hours 9am to 3pm ,then it will make a difference. :purple

probably not much in summer as the sun is higher, but over winter when the sun is lower I'll get shading over one section during the middle of the day. I was actuall surprised to see the shade on the roof, I didn't think it would reach up there ... but one installer showed me google photos of my roof 2 weeks and again 3 months ago, and there was definitely more shade in the recent photo
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 31 May 2019, 17:46

johnsmith wrote:To explain the difference in simple term the way it was explained to me.

Traditional panels work as 'string' panels.

If one panel gets any shading on it, that might reduce the output of that panel by for example 50%. If that panel is on a string, all the panels on that string reduce output to 50%.

With a micro inverter, every panel is independent, so if one panel reduces output to 50% due to shading, dirt etc, none of the others are affected. ..........

Thanks, that is how I thought it might work .
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 31 May 2019, 18:02

Sprintcyclist wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:

Thanks, had not heard of them before.

So does every solar panel and micro inverter operate individually ?
ie, if one solar panel/inverter fails do the others still provide power?

Yes, they all operate individually. If one or two fail the others continue as normal. And they come with wifi so that if they fail you are notified via an app
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby DonDeeHippy » 01 Jun 2019, 06:26

Talking to my friend he has set up his panels in pararrel so the voltage is low and if one panels stops or is shaded , it doesn't effect the output, he had to make his own inverter though, so no good for your case John but interesting how he did his.
Also he used second hand 185 watt panels for $20 each, he said that people just get rid of them because they are not the best and latest, these particular ones all faded and went white ,that is why they where discarded.
He has a 9watt panel that's 40 years old still giving full power that was used by Telstra and cost over $1500 then....They have come a long way and if built right can last forever (almost)
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby johnsmith » 01 Jun 2019, 16:19

I took the old solar hot water system down of the roof today. I had from looking at it estimated it was about 15 yrs old (the label was bleached white by the sun and illegible) ... when I took a cover of the electrical panel it had a time stamp in it .....1986 :OMG :OMG :OMG

It turns out that the damn thing was 33 years old.

They certainly built them to last in those days.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Sprintcyclist » 01 Jun 2019, 17:01

johnsmith wrote:I took the old solar hot water system down of the roof today. I had from looking at it estimated it was about 15 yrs old (the label was bleached white by the sun and illegible) ... when I took a cover of the electrical panel it had a time stamp in it .....1986 :OMG :OMG :OMG

It turns out that the damn thing was 33 years old.

They certainly built them to last in those days.

33 years old, yes, you don't want to spend any money on it at all.
Well done
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby pinkeye » 03 Jun 2019, 01:00

ah :bgrin

I've never indulged in solar anything.. umm.. have too many trees.. BUT

yes they did build things better back then. .

Gosh I'm probably jinxing myself .. :?

My house got built in 1988, more or less, and I'm on tank water.
I am still using my original house water pump. !!

I'm still using my original refridgerator.!!

I am dreading the day when one will fail, and I'll have to buy modern cheap SHIT.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jun 2019, 04:33

Amazing how the old stuff lasts. Bought a side by side fridge freezer for the shop about 2003. It is in the shed now, working.

In the 1980s we built our first house in Goolwa, bought an old 50s? fridge to put in it so we could rent it out, still working when we sold the house.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 03 Jun 2019, 08:55

Fridge's have improved a lot in the last 10 years and now use half the power or less, that is about $200-$400 a year extra in electricity used, since a good fridge now is under a $1000 it's one item worth renewing...
DonDeeHippy
Cheetah

Postby Texan » 03 Jun 2019, 09:06

I bought our fridge in 2001. The water lines rotted, so I have no automatic ice maker/water dispenser, but the fridge still works fine.

We inherited our inlaw's upright freezer. It's over 30 years old and still freezing in our garage.
Govern wisely, and as little as possible.
President Sam Houston
Texan
Cheetah

Previous

Return to Sand Pit