Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale



Just post here—don’t need to join.
.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Squire » 24 Mar 2019, 16:08

The god save the queen anthem is a true representation of what many see as Australian culture and should be restored.

What the hell does Advance Australia 'Fair' really mean? White supremacy? We are neither young nor free.

Image

https://www.smh.com.au/national/advance-australia-fair-is-an-anthem-that-is-racist-at-so-many-levels-20180916-p5043s.html

'Advance Australia Fair is an anthem that is racist at so many levels'
By Warwick McFadyen
September 16, 2018 — 11.30pm

Songwriter Shane Howard, who’s no slouch with words and melody, recently commented on social media about the latest furore over the national anthem and the defiant stand, sorry, non-stand, of Brisbane schoolgirl Harper Nielsen, aged nine.

Shane Howard

“This young girl deserves our utmost respect and admiration. Certainly not our derision. Who is the mature thinker in all of this clatter? It's certainly not the adults banging on about how she should be chastised. Let's be honest. What she says is patently true and we all know it.

"Advance Australia Fair is an anthem that is racist at so many levels, written for a white Australia that is irrelevant, or should be. Apologies to the writer but it's also poorly crafted lyrically, is largely meaningless sentimentality and is a substandard melody. It's time for the whingeing faux patriotic grown-ups to grow up.

“For goodness sake, a nine-year-old girl just gave us all a lesson in truth and kicked our backsides to move forward. It's time for a new anthem and a new flag while we're at it. They had their time and now they're irrelevant. Let's move on.”

Advertisement

Howard, of course, is the writer of Australia’s unofficial anthem Solid Rock. His love of this country, of Indigenous life and culture, its history of survival, dispossession, resilience and faith runs deep into the earth.

RELATED ARTICLE
Harper is not an impudent child, she is hope
DIVERSITY
Harper is not an impudent child, she is hope
Add to shortlist
It’s easy to dismiss the anthem incident of 2018 in a Brisbane primary school as a storm in a tea cup. A schoolkid finds it offensive to stand for an anthem that she says does not ring true. “When it says 'we are young' it completely disregards the Indigenous Australians who were here before us for over 50,000 years," she said. “When it was originally written, Advance Australia Fair meant advance the white people of Australia."

So for stating the bleeding obvious, she gets detention. The usual suspects descend on her. Pauline Hanson says she needs a kick up the backside: “This kid is headed down the wrong path.” Alan Jones, in a majestic piece of gimcrackery, tries to give her the correct version of history: “Colonisation brought the kind of tremendous wealth that all Australians now enjoy.”

The government, as it should, takes the anthem seriously. There are protocols involved. Advance Australia Fair was written by Peter Dodds McCormick in 1878. It has been tinkered with ever since, a bit like trying to modify a Leyland Marina into a Porsche. We even tried to ditch it entirely with a national competition for new words (1400 entries) and music (1200) and that fell over.

In the words on the anthem section of the government website the judges “decided the entries did not meet the high standards of Australia’s traditional songs Advance Australia Fair, Waltzing Matilda and Song of Australia”. Either the judges have a sense of humour or we have no talent whatsoever for writing anthems. In national surveys, Advance Australia Fair wins every time, which shows one could kindly say, exhaustion on the respondents’ part.

RELATED ARTICLE
'Kick up the backside': schoolgirl slammed over anthem protest
'Kick up the backside': schoolgirl slammed over anthem protest
Add to shortlist
Even Amanda Vanstone tried to set things right. A decade ago she penned Under the Southern Stars to the tune of that beacon of republican sentiment Land of Hope and Glory. At least it mentioned the continent’s first people. Heard of it since? Might be a reason for that.

The anthem storm of 2018 illustrates a greater picture, that of a nation that is uneasy with itself. An anthem wraps and enfolds a nation’s character. Everyone takes pride in its performance. Until we can even decide on who we are we may as well whistle into the wind.

It’s not McCormick’s fault. He just knocked it out one night in a state of patriotic fervour for a particular audience. But to not acknowledge now that it is out of tune with these times is wilful ignorance. And, as Shane Howard laments, it really is a god-awful melody. Not even the use of tubular bells (optional) on the official score can put that right.
User avatar
Squire
mountain lion
 
Posts: 913
Joined: 19 Aug 2016, 10:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Squire » 24 Mar 2019, 16:32

Young and free?

Image
User avatar
Squire
mountain lion
 
Posts: 913
Joined: 19 Aug 2016, 10:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby DonDeeHippy » 24 Mar 2019, 17:17

we need to make

'Shudupa yur face"
' the new national anthem
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1650
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 20:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Dax » 25 Mar 2019, 06:11

Get rid of the ancient elitist royalty and the disgusting anthem, the best anthem song around is Peter Allen's "I still call Australia home". That song sums it up very well and takes away any reference to god royalty of other insane ideological bullshit.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Auggie » 26 Mar 2019, 17:07

Dax wrote:Get rid of the ancient elitist royalty and the disgusting anthem, the best anthem song around is Peter Allen's "I still call Australia home". That song sums it up very well and takes away any reference to god royalty of other insane ideological bullshit.


Would it surprise you to learn that the freest and most prosperous countries in the world are monarchies?? Any idea why that is the case?
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Dax » 26 Mar 2019, 18:07

Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:Get rid of the ancient elitist royalty and the disgusting anthem, the best anthem song around is Peter Allen's "I still call Australia home". That song sums it up very well and takes away any reference to god royalty of other insane ideological bullshit.


Would it surprise you to learn that the freest and most prosperous countries in the world are monarchies?? Any idea why that is the case?


Yep, they raped and pillaged the planet, slaughtering as they went. They suppressed their people to increase their wealth and it still goes on today. Royalty and any sort of elitism is primitive and not suited to the 21st century.

The most prosperous countries in the world are the USA, China, India, they also have more debt than assets and that goes for every country. The one country that steps outside the economic insanity, will become the most prosperous country on the planet as it will have no debt.

Only fools want to keep connected to the past, there has been no success for humanity, life and the planet in the past, just downhill to now and that has been caused in its entirety, by ideological elitism.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Auggie » 26 Mar 2019, 20:16

Dax wrote:
Auggie wrote:
Dax wrote:Get rid of the ancient elitist royalty and the disgusting anthem, the best anthem song around is Peter Allen's "I still call Australia home". That song sums it up very well and takes away any reference to god royalty of other insane ideological bullshit.


Would it surprise you to learn that the freest and most prosperous countries in the world are monarchies?? Any idea why that is the case?


Yep, they raped and pillaged the planet, slaughtering as they went. They suppressed their people to increase their wealth and it still goes on today. Royalty and any sort of elitism is primitive and not suited to the 21st century.

The most prosperous countries in the world are the USA, China, India, they also have more debt than assets and that goes for every country. The one country that steps outside the economic insanity, will become the most prosperous country on the planet as it will have no debt.

Only fools want to keep connected to the past, there has been no success for humanity, life and the planet in the past, just downhill to now and that has been caused in its entirety, by ideological elitism.


You would agree surely that some people are more talented than others, or have more useful skills than some others, and therefore their economic value is different. Look at culture - some people are more educated, articulate, knowledgeable, polite, chivalrous etc. than other people. That's why elitism exists - not everyone is equal in rank, talent or knowledge.

Look at Australian culture - yes, we lack the elitism of the mother country but we also lack the refinement in culture, arts, and literature. Everything has a cost and a downside. There's nothing wrong with elitism; it's when the elites are incompetent that's the problem.
Apart from chattel slavery, Jim Crow, John C Calhoun, the Robber Barons, the Civil War, George Wallace, segregation, Ronald Reagan, violent crime, serial killers and Donald Trump, what makes America the shittest nation on earth?
Auggie
Pain in the Butt
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 17:05
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Dax » 27 Mar 2019, 04:31

Don't agree at all, everyone has talent and ability, never met any who haven't. Only elitists or dedicated slaves claim otherwise. The more education the more stupid people become in most cases, they lack natural knowledge and skills, all they have is rote approaches to life and they think they are the elite, when they are the pits of society and the evidence for that is in the state of our societies, run by the deranged elites.

Australia is overrun by brain dead elites, all our pollies, bankers, academics, all think they are elites and know what they are doing, yet the facts prove the opposite. Our true culture used to come from the streets by the average person, now it's been taken over by elitist ideologues and we see the results growing before us.

We need an anthem in this century that represents the people, not ancient primitive elites and their brain dead hangers on.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2019, 15:18

this should be our national anthem


FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8686
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2019, 15:20

johnsmith wrote:this should be our national anthem


[youtube]https://youtu.be/XfR9iY5y94s?t=145[/youtube]



mnk your youtube link doesn't work


song is 'Land Down Under' by Men at Work
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8686
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Mar 2019, 15:48

johnsmith wrote:
johnsmith wrote:this should be our national anthem


[youtube]https://youtu.be/XfR9iY5y94s?t=145[/youtube]



mnk your youtube link doesn't work


song is 'Land Down Under' by Men at Work


Remove the s from https

[youtube]http://youtu.be/XfR9iY5y94s?t=145[/youtube]

Hmm, this one works:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
User avatar
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 4117
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 14:52
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Aussie » 27 Mar 2019, 16:18

Somehow these lyrics do not seem appropriate for an Australian National Anthem.

Down Under
Men at Work
Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said
I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover, yeah
Lyin' in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, "are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?"
And he said
Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover
Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8595
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 17:25

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby johnsmith » 27 Mar 2019, 18:20

greggerypeccary wrote:Remove the s from https


i tried that earlier ... the end result you saw was my 5th attempt at changing it. I've now copied your link in place of mine and it worked. :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8686
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Squire » 28 Mar 2019, 11:29

Dax wrote:Don't agree at all, everyone has talent and ability, never met any who haven't. Only elitists or dedicated slaves claim otherwise. The more education the more stupid people become in most cases, they lack natural knowledge and skills, all they have is rote approaches to life and they think they are the elite, when they are the pits of society and the evidence for that is in the state of our societies, run by the deranged elites.

Australia is overrun by brain dead elites, all our pollies, bankers, academics, all think they are elites and know what they are doing, yet the facts prove the opposite. Our true culture used to come from the streets by the average person, now it's been taken over by elitist ideologues and we see the results growing before us.

We need an anthem in this century that represents the people, not ancient primitive elites and their brain dead hangers on.


Be patient, genetic infusion takes time. The superior genes of immigrants are overturning that pox-encrusted economic culture of Australia.
User avatar
Squire
mountain lion
 
Posts: 913
Joined: 19 Aug 2016, 10:35
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Mar 2019, 15:51

Advance Aust Fair is dreadful. A pop song as anthem no good, dates quickly. Gawd save our King/Queen is dreadful music tho composed by Beethoven.

Dunno what anthem we should have.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 52740
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 14:37

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby Dax » 29 Mar 2019, 14:11

Squire wrote:
Dax wrote:Don't agree at all, everyone has talent and ability, never met any who haven't. Only elitists or dedicated slaves claim otherwise. The more education the more stupid people become in most cases, they lack natural knowledge and skills, all they have is rote approaches to life and they think they are the elite, when they are the pits of society and the evidence for that is in the state of our societies, run by the deranged elites.

Australia is overrun by brain dead elites, all our pollies, bankers, academics, all think they are elites and know what they are doing, yet the facts prove the opposite. Our true culture used to come from the streets by the average person, now it's been taken over by elitist ideologues and we see the results growing before us.

We need an anthem in this century that represents the people, not ancient primitive elites and their brain dead hangers on.


Be patient, genetic infusion takes time. The superior genes of immigrants are overturning that pox-encrusted economic culture of Australia.


You've gotta be a muslim, or other import and have no idea about Aus culture and probably never could understand it and why it has been so successful till now.

Migrants have inferior psychological genes, otherwise they would stay where they are in a superior intellectual surrounding. However as that;s is far from the truth, they want to come here and push their insanely deluded culture onto us, because their own countries are collapsing under their culture.

The facts show they are inferior genes in migrants and we see that in crime rates.
User avatar
Dax
Cheetah
 
Posts: 1413
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 11:15
spamone: Animal

Re: Australian culture: Restore god save the queen anthem

Postby johnsmith » 29 Mar 2019, 16:05

Dax wrote:Migrants have inferior psychological genes, otherwise they would stay where they are in a superior intellectual surrounding


you really are a moron :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 8686
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 21:39
spamone: Animal


Return to Sand Pit

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron