Dream holiday

Casual chatting. Guest posting allowed.

Welcome to the various guests visiting here. Why not register? The real PA—a home away from home when OzPol is down.

Hot topic: Handmaid’s Tale

Just post here—don’t need to join.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Sand Pit is for having fun. Guest posting is allowed here.

Re: Dream holiday

Postby Sprintcyclist » 29 Mar 2019, 21:35

pinkeye wrote:sigh

I'll never be able to do that. any of it.
I'm a part self-funded, part government pensioner. I'm flat out paying the bills.

You must feel really lucky to have had the means to travel the world. Billions of people can't do that.

Imagine being me
never been anywhere
but the Antipodes.

One of our best hollies was in a cabin out of Noojee, in Victoria.
Driving out to The Dig Tree was remarkable.

I love Australia. We are one of the Worlds best holiday destinations
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby pinkeye » 29 Mar 2019, 22:02

Agree.
There is more to see here, truly unique, than you could likely experience in your whole life.!!

Why you áll want to spend your money elsewhere beats me. I suspect it's that old cultural cringe. :roll

Things aren't better overseas... the buildings might be older.. but that's all. You can see all that on media, but you can never experience what we have here, O/S.

Australia has the oldest culture, still extant in the world, despite all those colonial efforts. THAT is something to recognise and cherish.
The Outback.. the Ghan. Tasmanian Wilderness, FNQ.
Why you think it's great to go to Hawaii or fucking Disneyland escapes me. You are just suckered consumers. DISNEYLAND FFS.!!
Or Slovakia or Hungary, or Greece. WTF? Spend your money at home. Been to BALI.? Shame on you. Shame shame shame. You couldn't PAY ME to go to Bali. or Thailand, or Vietnam or China. Get the drift?
Morons.

Shame on you. :bgrin

Seriously tho, one day soon the seas ( aka Norwegian Sea recently eg) won't be so friendly, and the skies either.
Much better to help to decrease global pollution, than to have a holiday in Italy.
Good Grief.. we are seriously earning our demise through our disposable income and pure muleheadedness and ..?? what? chance to impress friends?? :grn

You been to Venice..?? OH such a shame.. Venetians can't live there anymore.. too expensive , too crowded by tourists and giant cruiseships pouring out their fecal matter.. oh not really talking about their passengers :roll But Venice IS being destroyed by the likes of YOU. Put your hands up for that?

IF I chose to go somewhere else.. I'd go by Yacht.
Wind can take you... just about anywhere.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 30 Mar 2019, 00:54

So…? no replies huh?

Thinking about it, are you? I really HOPE SO. I really do... because it is so important that our personal wishes and decisions based on them, are responsible and aware of the fall-out. THINK ABOUT IT.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD.!
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Mar 2019, 07:22

No, going overseas supplies perspective on life here. Australians are too insular and afraid: we can’t even agree to get an Australian Head of State, we have to be tied to the rotting corpse of monarchy.

No, just staying in Australia, never looking at other cultures, other ways of living is a form of cowardice.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 30 Mar 2019, 07:52

pinkeye wrote:you don't deserve to FLY anywhere.
Polluting the upper atmosphere... millions of cunts like you.. every fucking day. go figure. :sad

I hope none of you globe-trippers think you have any environmental credentials.. you're among the worst polluters. Holiday in your own country. Help your OWN economy, Make jobs for your countryfolk. Don't go giving your money away to ??? don't be ignorant polluters.

Ships aren't much better than planes. Taking environmental pests around the world through ballast, and poisoning the oceans with oil and human garbage, Be ashamed.

HOLIDAY in AUSTRALIA.!!!!

you are right ... rather than 500 people fly on one plane to travel o'seas, it's better they fly on multiple planes, and then drive multiple cars, just to holiday in Australia :roll :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 30 Mar 2019, 07:55

pinkeye wrote:Things aren't better overseas.

no one said they were 'better'.

one of the main reasons for travelling overseas is not because things are better, but because things are different. You get to see how other people live, other cultures etc.

don't let your jealousy make you bitter
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 01 Apr 2019, 02:25

johnsmith wrote:

one of the main reasons for travelling overseas is not because things are better, but because things are different. You get to see how other people live, other cultures etc.

You get me wrong. BUT, how long do you spend absorbing these OTHER cultures..?
Do you stay and visit for a month or two? In a Villa perhaps.?
Do you live there for a few months..?
A year perhaps, you know? so you actually speak to locals..?

Or are you a tourist.. a day or two here, another week or so somewhere else. Do you honestly think , in your arrogance, that you really can see how people you impose on with your huge ships and money, actually truly are? Oh you go to Peru, and trek on a donkey or some such,up a mountain range or two and you think you know something>/??

I call your justifications for rampant consumersism BULLSHIT.

How LONG do you spend to assimilate and LEARN about these cultures. Do you do the rounds of the Palaces Cathedrals and Art Galleries. Are you part of that throng of tourists that get a visceral pleasure from saying.. oh I observed these quaint Italians cooking pasta..?
Perhaps you looked at the poor, and the mountain villages..? Or do you troop along with all the other tourists, marvelling at the buildings and then move on the next day to somewhere else.
Do you walk ..?
You say you SEE … do you really.?
How do you get there?. Fly in for a few days and fly out to somewhere else.?? Arrive on a monster Cruise ship.?

I'm really interested to hear from you all on this.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby greggerypeccary » 01 Apr 2019, 08:59

pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Or are you a tourist.. a day or two here, another week or so somewhere else. Do you honestly think , in your arrogance, that you really can see how people you impose on with your huge ships and money, actually truly are? Oh you go to Peru, and trek on a donkey or some such,up a mountain range or two and you think you know something>/??

How LONG do you spend to assimilate and LEARN about these cultures. Do you do the rounds of the Palaces Cathedrals and Art Galleries. Are you part of that throng of tourists that get a visceral pleasure from saying.. oh I observed these quaint Italians cooking pasta..?
Perhaps you looked at the poor, and the mountain villages..? Or do you troop along with all the other tourists, marvelling at the buildings and then move on the next day to somewhere else.
Do you walk ..?
How do you get there?. Fly in for a few days and fly out to somewhere else.?? Arrive on a monster Cruise ship.?

Yes, I see.

I see lots of things when I visit other countries.

Things you can't "see" properly from a photo or TV show.

My most memorable overseas experience was visiting Auschwitz.

I've never been on a holiday where I just lay by the pool and relax.

I always spend my days walking around, trying the food, visiting the museums, admiring the landscape etc.

Personally, I'd find it a waste of money going to another country and just lazing on the beach all day.

I can do that here.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2019, 12:38

I visited the Dachau camp while I was in Munich. Walk in through the gate, get hit with this huge feeling of desolation. Also visited Schloss Neuschwanstein: from the sublime to the ridiculous. To get to Neuschwanstein I travelled by train, an up to the minute shiny electric train, the last bit in a train so s l o w there were signs all along the railway “It is forbidden to pick flowers while the train is moving.”
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lols » 01 Apr 2019, 13:26

greggerypeccary wrote:
pinkeye wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

Do you walk ..?

Yes, I see.

I see lots of things when I visit other countries.

Things you can't "see" properly from a photo or TV show.

My most memorable overseas experience was visiting Auschwitz.

I've never been on a holiday where I just lay by the pool and relax.

I always spend my days walking around, trying the food, visiting the museums, admiring the landscape etc.

Personally, I'd find it a waste of money going to another country and just lazing on the beach all day.

I can do that here.

Exactly right, you can only open your eyes to how other's live, and can compare, and realize if we are in the lucky country or not.

Last year, having gone to see an extensive bus ride through China, has shown me how they really live there, it was an eye opener.
Otherwise, how can we feel any sympathy for any Chinese if we don't know or understand their way of real living in their own country?

I went to see my mother's long lost rellies in California 3 years ago, separated by their fathers 100 years ago after the 1st WW.
Some went to USA, some stayed in Italy, and very few came to Australia.

We learnt a lot from each other and the differences in the upbringing since the 1920's in different countries.
The USA rellies were amazed they even had rellies in Australia. And I taught them a lot about our country they would not have known otherwise.

Not all people have to travel to learn about other cultures, sometimes, travellers teach you things about other countries, it's a "walk the walk and talk the talk" type thing, which I prefer.

Yes, I had to foreceable go to Bali, which I never intended to go, but for the son's wedding. And I learnt a lot about their cultures, may as well, while I am there, and I deliberately walk into the poorer areas and market places,
and talk to the locals. As I did with China, not the glossy stuff, I want to see the real way people live.

To learn of how others live in their own country, teaches empathy, understanding, compassion. Even to the point I feel sorry for them.
I recall how poor Fiji was, when I went there some 17 years ago. I saw how they lived, in a 2 hour taxi drive, how they sell stuff off the roads (fruits they grown in their own yard), and how they lived in a tin shack, the type of tin shack farmers put their tractors in around here.
Again, I felt sympathy.

If I never went, and only saw the 'glossy' magazines advertising these destinations as holidays, how would I ever really understand, or be in the know?
I do take my time and talk to locals, and hear what they have to say about their own lives.

That's my thinking when I go overseas to 'holiday'.

A lot of these destinations rely on tourists money being spent, it's what helps them keep afloat.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby SethBullock » 01 Apr 2019, 14:11

Lols wrote:Exactly right, you can only open your eyes to how other's live, and can compare, and realize if we are in the lucky country or not.

Last year, having gone to see an extensive bus ride through China, has shown me how they really live there, it was an eye opener.
Otherwise, how can we feel any sympathy for any Chinese if we don't know or understand their way of real living in their own country?

I went to see my mother's long lost rellies in California 3 years ago, separated by their fathers 100 years ago after the 1st WW.

We learnt a lot from each other and the differences in the upbringing since the 1920's in different countries.
The USA rellies were amazed they even had rellies in Australia. And I taught them a lot about our country they would not have known otherwise.

Not all people have to travel to learn about other cultures, sometimes, travellers teach you things about other countries, it's a "walk the walk and talk the talk" type thing, which I prefer.

Yes, I had to foreceable go to Bali, which I never intended to go, but for the son's wedding. And I learnt a lot about their cultures, may as well, while I am there, and I deliberately walk into the poorer areas and market places,
and talk to the locals. As I did with China, not the glossy stuff, I want to see the real way people live.

To learn of how others live in their own country, teaches empathy, understanding, compassion. Even to the point I feel sorry for them.
I recall how poor Fiji was, when I went there some 17 years ago. I saw how they lived, in a 2 hour taxi drive, how they sell stuff off the roads (fruits they grown in their own yard), and how they lived in a tin shack, the type of tin shack farmers put their tractors in around here.
Again, I felt sympathy.

If I never went, and only saw the 'glossy' magazines advertising these destinations as holidays, how would I ever really understand, or be in the know?
I do take my time and talk to locals, and hear what they have to say about their own lives.

A lot of these destinations rely on tourists money being spent, it's what helps them keep afloat.

After his military service, my son went to University. In his senior year he was in a class, and the teacher started telling the class how terrible the U.S. was. He stood up and interrupted her, and proceeded to tell her and the class about Iraq and Afghanistan. And he told her how lucky she was to have been born in America. When he was done, she actually thanked him. So did a large number of students after class.

Despite our country's faults, we are among the luckiest people to have ever lived. I believe that.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby johnsmith » 01 Apr 2019, 16:10

pinkeye wrote:You get me wrong. BUT, how long do you spend absorbing these OTHER cultures..?

That depends. As long as possible. I've always tried for a 3 month stint when I've travelled to Europe. That's a bit harder to do now that I have kids.

pinkeye wrote:so you actually speak to locals..?

of course. Thats kinda the whole point

pinkeye wrote: Do you honestly think , in your arrogance, that you really can see how people you impose on with your huge ships and money, actually truly are?

I think that even someone travelling for a few days here and there still see's much more than you do from the confines of your lounge room.

pinkeye wrote:I call your justifications for rampant consumersism BULLSHIT.

It's not rampant consumerism. I try to spend as little as possible :roll

pinkeye wrote:How LONG do you spend to assimilate and LEARN about these cultures.

again it depends. My stays have ranged from 3 months to 7 days.

pinkeye wrote: Do you do the rounds of the Palaces Cathedrals and Art Galleries.

of course.

pinkeye wrote:Are you part of that throng of tourists that get a visceral pleasure from saying.. oh I observed these quaint Italians cooking pasta..?

no, I get far more pleasure eating that pasta that quaint Italians cooked. Something you'll never experience.

pinkeye wrote:Perhaps you looked at the poor, and the mountain villages..?

I prefer to travel the poor regions, mountains or not. I tend to not focus on the tourist traps and instead I try to see what real people live like.

pinkeye wrote: Or do you troop along with all the other tourists, marvelling at the buildings and then move on the next day to somewhere else.

how do you know those buildings aren't worth 'trooping along' to?Or is that based on a google images?

pinkeye wrote:Do you walk ..?

walk, drive, plane, train, trams, electric buses, regular buses, ferry and whatever other method of transport that I deem necessary to get me to where I want to go.

pinkeye wrote:You say you SEE … do you really.?

I can guarantee I've seen more than you.

pinkeye wrote:How do you get there?. Fly in for a few days and fly out to somewhere else.?? Arrive on a monster Cruise ship.?

i generally fly there and then have someone pick me up or I hire a car. I've never done a cruise although I hope to get around to it one day.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 01 Apr 2019, 16:12

Lols wrote:Exactly right, you can only open your eyes to how other's live, and can compare, and realize if we are in the lucky country or not.

Again, I felt sympathy.

:thumb
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby johnsmith » 01 Apr 2019, 16:23

SethBullock wrote:Despite our country's faults, we are among the luckiest people to have ever lived. I believe that.

Yes, I agree, people who complain about life in Australia (or in your case the US) need to get out a bit more. They could have it much much worse. Travel gives you perspective.

Although I think every country has it's pro's and cons. Even the poorer ones who you might think have nothing to offer. These are the places where you learn what's really important in life. These people have nothing, and yet seem to be far happier, far more content with life, than a lot of people here who have all the latest gadgets and toys.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 01 Apr 2019, 20:50

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:you don't deserve to FLY anywhere.
Polluting the upper atmosphere... millions of cunts like you.. every fucking day. go figure. :sad

I hope none of you globe-trippers think you have any environmental credentials.. you're among the worst polluters. Holiday in your own country. Help your OWN economy, Make jobs for your countryfolk. Don't go giving your money away to ??? don't be ignorant polluters.

Ships aren't much better than planes. Taking environmental pests around the world through ballast, and poisoning the oceans with oil and human garbage, Be ashamed.

HOLIDAY in AUSTRALIA.!!!!

you are right ... rather than 500 people fly on one plane to travel o'seas, it's better they fly on multiple planes, and then drive multiple cars, just to holiday in Australia :roll :roll :roll

Don't agree. You think planes are less polluting than cars??? :bike
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 01 Apr 2019, 21:15

johnsmith wrote:
SethBullock wrote:Despite our country's faults, we are among the luckiest people to have ever lived. I believe that.

Yes, I agree, people who complain about life in Australia (or in your case the US) need to get out a bit more. They could have it much much worse. Travel gives you perspective.

Although I think every country has it's pro's and cons. Even the poorer ones who you might think have nothing to offer. These are the places where you learn what's really important in life. These people have nothing, and yet seem to be far happier, far more content with life, than a lot of people here who have all the latest gadgets and toys.

Ahh I see.
Thank you all for your responses. Good to hear you do spend the time you have to learn . That you are indeed fortunate to live in Australia ( or the US).

The difference between us .
I don't HAVE to go overseas to know what is important in life. Food, shelter, safety from marauding scum... working hard to provide same. Not news to me.
You have all had opportunities to go overseas, and to learn. That is good, and it is also sad, that you don't understand your wealth and privilege until you go o/s. (Isn't that your message?)

Look to our own poor and disadvantaged... you'll see just the same here. Not in your neighboorhood though, eh?
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Aussie » 02 Apr 2019, 09:50

Test.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby greggerypeccary » 02 Apr 2019, 09:54

Aussie wrote:Test.